Which Northern Track You Dislike The Most

1st time i was told of this i thought it was gonna be on the scale of  "Drifter"....

Not for melting down into a plant pot but very very average....

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH  its as rare as hens teeth :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:  :sleep3:

rarity has no bearing on quality .

if someone is prepared to pay silly money for a record that is crap then more fool them..

if you you want to buy records for the sake of their rarity /scarcity without regard to the quality and playability of the music  please don't indulge in dick waving and don't impose them on me , :hatsoff2:

Edited by barney
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Many of the tracks in the thread were big sounds in their day but there are literally hundreds of B sides that are so bad, they would not be worth listening to in the house, let alone spinning in public. A track that is so bad you can hardly believe it was committed to vinyl appears on YouTube by the Pristines, Do-Re-Me on Date. Could someone please put up a link to this as my iPad is playing up. Let the race to the bottom begin...

Many thanks in anticipation and hope your gran likes it.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Is it too late to mention The Group Featuring Cecil Washington, 'I Don't Like To Lose'? 

Badly out of tune and shambolic performance - sounds like the band are all drunk or hungover. (And whose idea was it to record a kid having his first guitar lesson in the middle of it all?) . Bobby Crush on the piano... Horrible lyrics.... Then, just when you think it couldn't get no worse, the flipping 1812 Overture!! Aaaaargh!!! Make it stop!

What a mess. Must surely have been recorded as a joke? Only way it makes sense...I dunno. Gives me a headache even thinking about it.

I don't like it, I don't like it, I don't like it, like it....

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Is it too late to mention The Group Featuring Cecil Washington, 'I Don't Like To Lose'? 

Badly out of tune and shambolic performance - sounds like the band are all drunk or hungover. (And whose idea was it to record a kid having his first guitar lesson in the middle of it all?) . Bobby Crush on the piano... Horrible lyrics.... Then, just when you think it couldn't get no worse, the flipping 1812 Overture!! Aaaaargh!!! Make it stop!

What a mess. Must surely have been recorded as a joke? Only way it makes sense...I dunno. Gives me a headache even thinking about it.

.. Get your tin hat on... Wait for the flack..
Social source share

.. Get your tin hat on... Wait for the flack..

Not flak exactly - rather one man`s meat and all that.  Just remember hearing this for the first time at Station Road under atmosphere, and got the tell tale goose bumps.  Would agree that it was absolutely hammered thereafter though :thumbsup:  

Edited by Orotava
Social source share

I have no idea how most stuff works on the soul scene,

Stuff I think is great in private bombs and stuff I hate gets picked up,

probably why I don't/can't DJ.

Why can't everybody have a superior taste in music, like mine !!!!!!

Because first and foremost it has to be dance music. If it doesn't move you to dance, how's it going to work at a "dance event"? Leave the listening music at home.

Social source share

This is a very negative topic.  If you don't like a record move on to one you do like!

There is someone out there to dislike every record you can think of, no matter how good you think it is!

Social source share

Guest son of stan

This is a very negative topic.  If you don't like a record move on to one you do like!

There is someone out there to dislike every record you can think of, no matter how good you think it is!

Not sure I totally agree. Seems quite legit to have opinions and discuss records that individual members personally dislike. Bit of a laugh too....

And it's not as if the 'rare soul' scene has ever been one big old non-stop love-in (in spite of all that 'one big happy family' tripe that always gets trotted out whenever there is some kind of mainstream media coverage).

Not having a pop at you personally by any means...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Guest scottie

neither of these three have ever done it for me

a case of tyme-manifesto

world column-so is the sun

the crow-autumn of your tomorrow

plus the majority of the aforementioned

Social source share

Ive yet to hear an Intruders record that I like!  Lead singer always sounds  dead out of key to my ears.It may not be the songs....as the saying goes..'its the singer, not the song'.

I respect that loads of people like em , but not for me..

also agree with Scottie...World Column is shite...

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The Champion...phooken hate   it.............Also one of the ds who nicked me  in the seventies tried to do a bit of bonding and said he collected records(he was one who used to go so called undercover but as soon as I saw who it was in the cells opening the door I remembered the c... face having seen it at st Ives before and thinking sore thumb)he reeled off a couple of black magic things and then said his favourite was "The champion",didnt really ever like it and this just made it shoot to the top of the most disliked ie hated list for ever.There are others hated but just not quite as much as that one, I dont really think much of the magnetics and a few more that some rave over but I expect thats like all of us with otr own tastes likes and dislikes even hates .Still once more phook the champion.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

'Willie Mitchell, The Champion' is proper Northern Soul, shit you don't get better credentials than this guy had.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Ive yet to hear an Intruders record that I like!  Lead singer always sounds  dead out of key to my ears.It may not be the songs....as the saying goes..'its the singer, not the song'.

I respect that loads of people like em , but not for me..

I love The Intruders, Pete, those sometimes out-of-tune lead vocals made them sound more spontaneous and more "street".

And the songs were romantic... "Oh I'm gonna buy her a wedding ring, and all the church bells gonna ring..."

I can almost hear the birds singing in the trees.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Maurice Chestnut - Too darn Soulful; (The vocals sound like Jim Davidson doing his crap impression of a Jamaican accent).

Paul's Christmas Card List for 2013:

Dave Ward

Sorry Dave but I've decided to cross your name off the list !

:wink:

Paul

Social source share

neither of these three have ever done it for me

a case of tyme-manifesto

world column-so is the sun

the crow-autumn of your tomorrow

plus the majority of the aforementioned

Have to agree Scottie The Crow - Autumn of Tomorrow  has never done it for me either, personally i think it is complete and utter garbage (imho), there were some good tunes played at Cleethorpes, but this wasn't one of them!!

Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

Okay folks, we've all done it & it happened to me yesterday, iPad is on shuffle & a true shocker comes on.

For me it was yesterday I had the misfortune to listen to DEAN BARLOW THIRD WINDOW FROM THE RIGHT, this is a dire record & it kills me how it ever got plays.

Also another track that it utter drivel, CHARADES, YOU'D BETTER BELIVE IT, this is astoundingly bad. Full of U.S patriotic nonsense, starting with a daft bugle call, think this is worse than Dean Barlow & that's saying something.

Just a bit of fun, don't get offended if you like, or even worse actually dish out hard earned money for any of these.

Okay folks, we've all got our pet hates, what other dross kills you when it comes on the turntable?

The shittest record would have to be Al Wilson - The Snake , obviously, but The Sharonettes Papa Oow Mow Mow really takes the piss on soul....

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The shittest record would have to be Al Wilson - The Snake , obviously, but The Sharonettes Papa Oow Mow Mow really takes the piss on soul....

Papa Oow Oow Oow,liked that as much a good whacking off my Dad when I was a kid,ouch,yet it filled floors at one point in time

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Wasnt to keen on Ace Cannon Sea cruise either.I am usually a big fan of the saxophone but this one just didnt ever cut it for me,sozzled on bucketloads of dubes or not!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Paul's Christmas Card List for 2013:

Dave Ward

Sorry Dave but I've decided to cross your name off the list !

:wink:

Paul

I got a similar message from Jim Davidson, Paul.

Social source share

Guest LeedsPal

The Ventures  Hawaii Five 0   Wigans Chosen Few  Footsie  Dobie Grey Out on The Floor. But the winner is The Sharonettes Papa Oow Mow Mow OMG terrible

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

The Champion...phooken hate   it.............Also one of the ds who nicked me  in the seventies tried to do a bit of bonding and said he collected records(he was one who used to go so called undercover but as soon as I saw who it was in the cells opening the door I remembered the c... face having seen it at st Ives before and thinking sore thumb)he reeled off a couple of black magic things and then said his favourite was "The champion",didnt really ever like it and this just made it shoot to the top of the most disliked ie hated list for ever.There are others hated but just not quite as much as that one, I dont really think much of the magnetics and a few more that some rave over but I expect thats like all of us with otr own tastes likes and dislikes even hates .Still once more phook the champion.

At one time initialy I just wasnt keen on it,but like one of Pavlovs dogs I bit big style with the connection between it and that c... ds who was a sneaky horrible barsteward,this like a ringing bell to a dog forever pushed "The champion to the top of my most disliked", if he had of said"Papa ho ha how",or one of certain others that would have been number one,I count myself lucky he never mentioned one I really liked.I pray to the good Lord he never said the professionals",or such like  .

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

At one time initialy I just wasnt keen on it,but like one of Pavlovs dogs I bit big style with the connection between it and that c... ds who was a sneaky horrible barsteward,this like a ringing bell to a dog forever pushed "The champion to the top of my most disliked", if he had of said"Papa ho ha how",or one of certain others that would have been number one,I count myself lucky he never mentioned one I really liked.I pray to the good Lord he never said the professionals",or such like  .

The Champion was my favourite record when it was getting played (1975/6) and I still get goosebumps hearing it - not at a do or anything, just if it comes on the Itunes randomly or in the car - when I'm not expecting it I mean.

Social source share

How sad this topic is,??? one mans meat.????

We once tried a topic where we tried to name a track that EVERYONE liked and nobody disliked, I can't remember if we managed it.  For instance, I can't see anyone not liking Our Love Is In The Pocket by Darrell Banks but there's  bound to be someone who hates it

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

How sad this topic is,??? one mans meat.????

Makes a pavlovian dog salivate? perhaps.??????????????? sorry,as Len has said  many times on threads on here and I now find the right thing to say ....Ooops..I l get my coat!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

What a journey this has been: Can we now rely on somebody to collate this data and release a CD  "The top 20 shit Northern Soul tracks of all time", bet it sells well if it can be released for x-mas !

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!