Happy Cats-Destroy That Boy?

Hi all, was there a U.S release of this? also heard it by someone else, but listed as unknown artist? :D

The orginal is by the What Four on a Columbia 45 and was included on the Ace compilation "More Girls with Guitars"

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32c2u_the-what-four-i-m-gonna-destroy-tha_music

I think this may be the 'unknown artist' cut you heard. Anyone got any ideas? - cracking version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8SE2wBn5CM

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quote from John Anderson from that Grapevine article I did for Record Collector

"Ollie McLaughlin again. We did a deal where we paid the advance and got whatever masters we wanted. This was just being played at the time. I think the Happy Cats were session musicians. The flip, “Destroy That Boy”, was previously unissued."

do you think he means it was an unissued Ollie Mclaughlin cut?

Social source share

Hi,here's another version courtesy Finewine...

https://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/19632

16.04 in on real player.

That's the same version as the youtube clip above credited to 'unknown artist' It's confusing as who ever posted the tune has used the image from the Ace CD that contains the What Four version. I think the unknown artists acetate is miles better than What Four though .

Does Matt (Finewine ) still post on here? Maybe he could shed some light on its origin?

Social source share

Hey, gang. Here's another (confusing) thread on pretty much the same topic from three years ago:

To sum up, I got the "unknown artist" version many years ago from my uncle in Detroit, who worked closely with Ollie McLaughlin. It's a ten-inch acetate with zero information on it. Ollie's name was written on the sleeve. I still think it's much, much better than either of the other two versions!

Oh, and I assume whoever posted it on youtube got it off a CD I made as a WFMU premium giveaway for listeners who donated to the station during one of our fund drives. (I have made four volumes of around 27 tracks each of Detroit rarities over the years for this purpose, which include a handful of other unreleased things.)

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by weingarden
Social source share

Hey, gang. Here's another (confusing) thread on pretty much the same topic from three years ago:

To sum up, I got the "unknown artist" version many years ago from my uncle in Detroit, who worked closely with Ollie McLaughlin. It's a ten-inch acetate with zero information on it. Ollie's name was written on the sleeve. I still think it's much, much better than either of the other two versions!

Oh, and I assume whoever posted it on youtube got it off a CD I made as a WFMU premium giveaway for listeners who donated to the station during one of our fund drives. (I have made four volumes of around 27 tracks each of Detroit rarities over the years for this purpose, which include a handful of other unreleased things.)

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt

Thanks for the background info. Their identity remains a mystery then.

Interesting to see that on the other thread some people are saying that they prefer the Happy Cats version. No accounting for taste I suppose!

Don't suppose you've got a copy of the CD left (he asked cheekily...) ?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!