New York Record Stores

Emjaygee

I am luckey enough to be heading for New york tomorrow morning for a rare business meeting. I'm only there for two days, most of which is taken up with Business.

In the couple of hours i have to myself, can anyone point me in the direction of:

a) second hand recored store i can mooch through.

cool.gif new vinyl record store i might pick up some nice modern soul cuts from.

No intention of going in and trying to buy out anyones stock, if i spend more than £100 - £150 the wife i'll separate me from me most precious items!!! :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Head for Bleaker street in Greenwhich Village, 3 or 4 record stores in a few hundred yards. One store had a box of 60s 45s behind the counter. Good luck

PS there was a great bar on the same st, I think it was called Groove the home of funk, saw a great band there one freezing December night.Only problem the waitress wanted a $3 tip for every drink served!!! BH

Social source share

Good hunting. Wish I were going with you as you never know what you might find. I recommend the shops around Bleaker St, as mentioned above, but also found The Sound Library on 214 Avenue A, good for 60's, Latin, 70's and jazz. The guys who own it are English and can also point you to other shops in the area.

Warren Boogaloo

Social source share

I am luckey enough to be heading for New york tomorrow morning for a rare business meeting. I'm only there for two days, most of which is taken up with Business.

In the couple of hours i have to myself, can anyone point me in the direction of:

cool.gif new vinyl record store i might pick up some nice modern soul cuts from.

No intention of going in and trying to buy out anyones stock, if i spend more than £100 - £150 the wife i'll separate me from me most precious items!!! :lol:

As everyone says Bleeker St easy hit, although expensive. New music harder, I couldnt find any of the new cd's there, for house vinyl dance trax is a must but again expensive,

Social source share

No intention of going in and trying to buy out anyones stock, if i spend more than £100 - £150 the wife i'll separate me from me most precious items!!! :D

Hi Mark ,if you grab a yellow pages ,you should find a few places listed unless said pages have been removed :lol: Steve
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

No intention of going in and trying to buy out anyones stock, if i spend more than £100 - £150 the wife i'll separate me from me most precious items!!! whistling.gif

Just spent 3 years in the Big Apple and have to agree that The Sound Library is the best bet ( esp. if you collect '70's LP's. Try also :

Bleecker Bob's 118 West 3rd Street and for 60's singles House of Oldies at 35 Carmine Street ( also in Greenwich Village ) - bit of a miserable old git runs the place but says he has over 60,000 in stock, but you have to quote name of artist for him to find anything. Happy hunting mate and enjoy your trip.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

There's A1 Records and Fynal Vinyl in the East Village and if you wander around the streets there i seem to remember running into a couple more, although can't remember their names.

If you only have a couple of hours you might find them closed unfortunately :D . They all have really odd opening hours, not 9-5 six days a week, more like a Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning. I went to six in Greenwich Village Monday morning, including House of Oldies... all closed. :angry: Although these guys have shops i think they deal mostly through the internet these days and can't be arsed to open. Weekend is best i think.

Fantastic Pizza restaurant over the road from House of Oldies for when you need a break whistling.gif and another record shop a few doors down on the opposite side of the road.

There's also a really good flea market on a saturday in Manhatten, but i'll be buggered if i can remember where it was :thumbsup:

When my missus gets home she might tell me where she put my map of Manhatten for 'safe keeping' .

Matt

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

There's A1 Records and Fynal Vinyl in the East Village and if you wander around the streets there i seem to remember running into a couple more, although can't remember their names.

If you only have a couple of hours you might find them closed unfortunately :D . They all have really odd opening hours, not 9-5 six days a week, more like a Thursday afternoon and Saturday morning. I went to six in Greenwich Village Monday morning, including House of Oldies... all closed. :angry: Although these guys have shops i think they deal mostly through the internet these days and can't be arsed to open. Weekend is best i think.

Fantastic Pizza restaurant over the road from House of Oldies for when you need a break whistling.gif and another record shop a few doors down on the opposite side of the road.

There's also a really good flea market on a saturday in Manhatten, but i'll be buggered if i can remember where it was :thumbsup:

When my missus gets home she might tell me where she put my map of Manhatten for 'safe keeping' .

House of Oldies is closed Sun / Mon. Open 10 - 5 tues to sat ( (212) 243-0500 )

Matt

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

agreed TSL is probably best. Etherea is nearby for soulful house maybe, dance orientated.

Bleaker st is ok but not for bargains. If you can't get away from Times sq there's Rock & Soul, current R'n'b Dance etc, all vinyl, nothing too mindblowing but quick check on their website reveals a Kenny Bobien for $4 which can't be bad.

For new Independent Soul Bondy's is THE place, Park row, ask for Ish.

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

For Soulful House try VinylMania @ 60 Carmine St [bet Bleeker+Varick]. 'The' original House shop in NY as in 'just round the corner' from The Garage. Ask for Charlie Grappone, the owner.

Dance Trax [East 3rd St off 1st Ave] Ask for Stephan [English owner/partner].

Rock & Soul [7th Ave bet 34/35th] is better for Jamaican imports, Hip Hop and Garage classic re-issues.

Most oldies shops in NY have Manship guide under counter and will tell you JM cleaned 'em out in the 80s !!

Bleeker Bob's a rip-off - beware. House of Oldies definitely a miserable old git.

Good Luck biggrin.gif

Edited by deeve
Social source share

I am luckey enough to be heading for New york tomorrow morning for a rare business meeting. I'm only there for two days, most of which is taken up with Business.a) second hand recored store i can mooch through.No intention of going in and trying to buy out anyones stock, if i spend more than £100 - £150 the wife i'll separate me from me most precious items!!!

Vinyl Market on the junction of E 10th Street & 3rd Ave is worth a visit..

Jon Buck

Social source share

I've always found the Big Apple pretty poor for Vinyl, shopwise. Apart from the Sound Library, the best tunes I've found have been at the flea markets, at the Weekends. There's quite a few in Manhatten, 1 of which is just along from the Sound Library, and some more are around the 20's but I can't quite remember. It's extremely hit & miss (sometimes no vinyl at all!!) However if you do find anything, there probably won't be a guide book in sight. Last Year there was a guy with a suitcase full of 70's & 80's Soul 45's on his stall, in which I found Mandrill, Donny Mann,Storm (Pi Kappa), Brothers Of Love, Gloria Scott, Wales Wallace etc etc, and all at $1 each, and a US based friend of mine found a Mint Court Davis at a Manhatten flea market a couple of Years ago, jammy bastard. Deffo worth checking out, but often more miss than hit.

Social source share

I was in a shop on Broadway a few years ago. Guy had a life size autographed photo of Roy Hamilton. Asked if I could take a photo, he said yes for $50!!!

He had a few Jackie Wilson LPs for sale at $60-$70. Didn't find any bargains, and all the owners were bloody grumpy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert