Instrumentals : Still Collecting Them In 2011

45cellar

I love the odd instrumental in the middle of a set , something like The Brothers - Are You Ready For this always fills the floor .

Bought Standing And Waiting On Love - Salsoul Orchestra last week , it should fit perfectly in a modern set .

Great tune and cheap as chips !!! :thumbup:

Social source share

I had an LP around 73.....I have no idea what it was called or anything about it (must be all those additives I was taking :excl: ) except that it had a brilliant instrumental of Tears of a Clown, almost note for note the backing track.

Knew I still had it. Is this the one?

DSCF1590.jpg

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

No one? Did these just appear out of the blue or something....? Were they some 'lost' sessions or an elaborate bootleg?

Ian D :D

Unissued Motown I thought, Circles sounds like its been spliced together, the edits are fairly obvious tho I never noticed them when this got plays ay Bradford years back :wicked:

Social source share

Blimey, what a co-incidence. I posted that Brenda Holloway track up here last week as I'd never heard it before and never even realised the connection. How weird.....

How good is that!!!...........with more than a touch of Earl Wright don`t you think Ian?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SHARE_102-A_DJa.pngSHARE_102-A_DJb.png

SHARE_102-A_Y.pngSHARE_102-B_Y.png

SHARE_102-A_M.pngSHARE_102-B_M.png

SHARE_SR-102-A_B.pngSHARE_SR-102-B_B.png

The BLUE Label is the ODD One out here.

Deadwax is different & Label Credit Layout is Different.

Interesting. The blue label version was the one that got mass imported here in the early 70's. I've never seen a copy on the multi-coloured Share label............

Social source share

Loads of instrumentals played in UK mod / soul clubs in mid 60's ......

Willie Mitchell -- "Oh Baby You Turn Me On"; Rex Garvin & Mi Cravers -- "Sock It To Em JB"; Markeys -- "Philly Dog"; Willie Mitchell -- "Everthing is Gonna be Alright"; Alvin Cash & Crawlers -- "Alvins Boogaloo"; Little Mac & Boss Sound -- "Midnight Hour"; Alvin Cash & C -- "Philly Freeze"; Bobby Moore & Rh Aces -- "Hey Mr DJ" + loads of Booker T & MG's cuts and other things I can't recall at present.

Had "Two In the Morning" way back then (on a cheap Pye label compilation LP) but don't recall it being played out in clubs back then.

Social source share

The Blue Label was the first that I originally bought it on.

That was very early 70's around The Torch era.

Should still have it somewhere, However.

Just bought another copy (Arrived Yesterday) to compare the details.

I'm pretty sure I got mine in the first Soul collection I bought in 1971 which means that it must have been generally available locally from at least a year before. I've never seen anything other other than the blue one and the white promo. The other ones are new to me....

Social source share

The only other record that I can compare it to is this one.

The Deadwax appears to be by the same hand as the 102 Press (DEMO, Yellow, Multi-Coloured)

SHARE_106-A_DJa.pngSHARE_106-A_DJb.png

SHARE_106-A.pngSHARE_106-B.png

Guessing that the Blue Copy of the 102 Press is from a different time period / pressing plant.

Social source share

Probably a later pressing for the UK demand and they saved money by printing in one colour. I would think the blue pressing would be a couple of years later than the original release. I would also think that they'd have done around 2K copies and probably shifted 'em all to the UK. I think that multi-coloured original is pretty rare in the grand scheme of this record.......

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

No one? Did these just appear out of the blue or something....? Were they some 'lost' sessions or an elaborate bootleg?

West Coast Motown band tracks for sure.... one has already been identified as a Brenda song .. I don't yet know what the other is but I'll try and identify it

I'm going to suggest these originally came from Jerry Long who had a knack for recycling such things

Andy

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

This was my copy auctioned by J.M., found it at Expansions in Manchester, many years ago...

Well I don't know much really - I do know JM auctioned one a few years back, suggesting that was one of only two ever made - The label and handwriting were the same: the only difference was the "Orchestra" on mine was shortened to "Orch" on JM's.

If you have one without the "Sydney Barnes" credit, then that's another one. I take it it has "Hold On" / "Soul Generation" on the flip?

I think I got mine in advance of it's proposed release - ie at the time I thought it would be released on Destiny, and there was no hint that it was to be scrapped as a release.

Cheers

Mick

post-1832-0-42818800-1337302853_thumb.jp

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

I love Hammond organ led instros & this one (issued out of Philly) is I believe by a guy from Ohio.

Jon Thomas was born 1918 in Biloxi, Mississippi but his family moved to Cincinnati in 1921.

Jon took up music & was a pianist who turned organ player. He formed his own jazz group in 1955 and was recording in no time (I believe he played on the Little Willie John session during which "Fever" was recorded. Jon himself had 45's out on Note in 1955 and Mercury in 1957. He made a recording himself & took the 45 around to DJs in Cincinnati & Cleveland. This caught the attention of ABC andthey signed him in 1960 -- releasing the single "Heartbreak/ Teasin" (there are vocals on both these) cuts. Another decent ABC 45 followed shortly after.

Later on in 1960's, a 45 was issued on Junior (Philly) by a Jon Thomas -- it was an organ instrumental titled "Tizzy".

I'm guessing that this has to be by the Ohio based guy, anyone confirm this ?

A 45 definitely by the guy from Cincinnati ......

post-22122-0-26184100-1337609381_thumb.j

Social source share

The Jon Thomas Trio in 1958 consisted of Jon on Hammond plus Gene Walker & Slim Jackson on sax. They were gigging at the Copa Club in Newport, Kentucky when recruited to back-up Brook Benton on tour. After that, the Jon Thomas Group secured a spot in a club in Buffalo and then moved on to play at the Baby Grand Club in Wilmington, Delaware.

They had one song called "Heartbreak" which everyone loved and they ended up playing it over and over at the club. While playing at the Baby Grand, Gil Askey, the arranger and trumpet player for the Chris Columbo Band, walked into the club one night and asked Gene Walker if he would like to join the Chris Columbo Quintet. Gene was reluctant to make the move but Jon Thomas knew the Columbo Quintet worked steadily and his band did not have the same prospects once they returned to Cincinnati. Thomas encouraged Walker to go with Columbo and so he joined the group. Thomas then returned to Cincinnati where he used his 'down time' to go into King Studios and cut "Heartbreak (It's Killing Me)". The track was such a hit that the Jon Thomas Group suddenly had more than enough work.

Chris Columbo certainly had some good guys in his groups as from around 1960 to 1962, Earl Van Dyke was the Hammond player in his outfit.

By the 70's, Jon Thomas was back in Cincinnati & getting gigs wherever he could, usually playing as a solo musician in clubs, bars & restaurants ......... a 1978 spot he had ........

post-22122-0-12689500-1337611759_thumb.j

Social source share

The Blue Label was the first that I originally bought it on.

That was very early 70's around The Torch era.

Should still have it somewhere, However.

Just bought another copy (Arrived Yesterday) to compare the details.

The blue label was the one that Simon Soussan 'discovered' on his first trip to the States - I know because I was with him in Leeds (( in Chris Tipping's flat - he funded him to go) when he opened his suitcase filled with the stuff he found!

Happy days

Julian

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!