Instrumentals : Still Collecting Them In 2011

45cellar

Guest Preems

mostly buying weird tittyshaker instrumentals right now, i think i have The Flick kicking around somewhere, in a shape only a mother could love..

Social source share

A nice UK & US DEMO there Dave.

Guessing 6 by 6 US DEMO must have been produced in a smaller quantity to some of the other releases.

Hi Roger,

I've had the US Demo for a number of years but haven't seen another since I found it. Strange that it's so difficult to locate eh? Same with Edwin Starr Agent 00 Soul eh?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Stepping out of the closet :shhh: , on Friday I ordered Soul Symphony by Sons Of Moses from Pete S! :yes:

After all these years I still love Soul Symphony, a good buy.

Hard to nail what makes some more soulful than others. I know it's out of fashion but Phil Coulter always gets the hairs on the back of my neck.

I seem to recall a Kent LP (After the session?) of Instrumentals that you can pick up cheap these days. I purchased Subway Riders on Moonshot a while ago without reading the print and recieved the curiosity that is the genuine Popcorn Wylie after the session jam session that bears no relation to the Moonlight Music and You sound. Doh!

I do think Instrumentals suffer from "forgotten" syndrome. Remember the days when Al De Lory would be on the decks four times a night! Not the most soulful but a good clapping tune.

Social source share

Had this since the old days.

Different label format. Only cost pennies,

Kev Bod

Thanks Kev

Nice to see a second Label Variation makes me wonder if every pressing plant produced a DEMO format for this release, I'm sort of guessing they did.

Either way they must have produced them in a much smaller quantity than some of the other releases. Virtually Impossible to find in 2011.

Social source share

aemons orchestra-bird walking ? always loved this one,bought one years ago for about £15 but i suspest its a boot,red label, i forget the name of the label,great instrumental,ps... the flip is great on this too,look in the want ads ?,and of course one of the greatest instrumental tunes,michigan move,a stafford anthem

jason

Edited by arnie j
Social source share

Hard to nail what makes some more soulful than others. I know it's out of fashion but Phil Coulter always gets the hairs on the back of my neck.

Always loved Phil Coulter, and it was one of the 1st things I bought when I started collecting again (from scratch!) at the beginning of the year, been a few instrumentals on my original wants list, favourite of which is The Peter Hamilton Generation "Hey Girl" on Jamie, which I have also been lucky enough to get a copy of during the last few weeks.

There seemed to be a time around '78(ish) when every other record seemed to be an instrumental, Police Story, Interplay, Theme from the Fantastic Plastic Machine etc, seems like the only instrumental that gets played out with any regularity these days is Harlem Rumble, great tune, but there are many others!

Social source share

Yes buts theirs also the bad ones as well - Police story - Joe 90 and a couple I can remeber.

Anyone heard the instro version of Remembering the times by Parish - I think thats very good.

And of course the fantastic - Stronger than her love -Sidney barnes Orch

Obviously I loved the Mirwood strings when I was young and Temptation walk is still one of my favs!

Social source share

aemons orchestra-bird walking ? always loved this one,bought one years ago for about £15 but i suspest its a boot,red label, i forget the name of the label,great instrumental,ps... the flip is great on this too,look in the want ads ?,and of course one of the greatest instrumental tunes,michigan move,a stafford anthem

jason

Emanons Orchestra - Bird walkin' on All Brothers...always reminds me of Brum Locarno All-dayers!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dogs reissue has a different flip. the labels on "soul step" look almost identical though.

isn't the previously unissued vocal take on the flip?

And of course the fantastic - Stronger than her love -Sidney barnes Orch

Was this ever issued or is still acetate/EMI disc only?

How about Chaumonts - Now you've gone? Proper instrumental that I'll never get tired of listening to.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Never really been the greatest fan of instrumentals but one I currently like is the Betty Boo instrumental of Say It isn't So by The Popcorn Orchestra (sounds like a cover up if ever there was one) .

I'm my day I suppose Derek & Ray before it's u.k RCA release was a monster.

Popcorn & Mohawks on Grapevine ? Love instrumentals.Liberty - Girl you better wake up,Tradewinds - Strange....but my fave at the moment....Innocent Bystanders - Frantic Escape - Pameline....

Social source share

I remember that one...on UK Domain...Music Through Six...thumper!

:thumbup:

Spot on Dave,and them that don't do instrumentals flip it over for cool version of "it's got to be mellow".

Social source share

I love instrumentals, so i guess i must be out of vogue also!

One of my is "I'm Satisfied With You" The Fury's which to knowledge only ever came out because Simon Soussan had the tapes he released it on Mirwood which we all thought was a pressing, but was it legit?

And aside from all the big well kmown ones I also still like Big Boris " Devils Drive" and The Niteliters "K Jee"

Social source share

Always loved Honey Townsend--World Again--Mala,the instro to Moonlight Music And You.Also love the instrumental to Mary Love--Lay This Burden Down which was only released on a Modern re-issue which i think was a legit reissue from Arthur Wright, would love to here this played out instead of the vocal.

Social source share

Guest martyn

I like this

And a track called "floppy ears" :yes:

Is that the instrumental to 'Devil with a blue dress' ?............Or was it red dress , Mitch Ryder anyway

Social source share

Always loved Honey Townsend--World Again--Mala,the instro to Moonlight Music And You.Also love the instrumental to Mary Love--Lay This Burden Down which was only released on a Modern re-issue which i think was a legit reissue from Arthur Wright, would love to here this played out instead of the vocal.

You mean "what shall i do"

Here she is.

Also Mark Johnson - this beautiful place - Diamond

The burning emotions - a new world - bang

Edited by ken
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!