The Sweets

Moxey25

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest smudgesmith

Similar if you're blindfolded and sitting in the dark :lol: , original has the proper Soultown cityscape logo, bootleg is plain with just the word Soultown

Sorry Pete there is a re-issue with a similar city scape label

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.. BACK IN 72, I SAW THE ORIGINAL, BEING PLAYED BY BILLY MAC IN THE DIVE HITCHIN, HE MUST HAVE GOT IT AT THE TORCH, AND I AM SURE HE NEVER HAD ANY IDEA OF IT'S VALUE, I NEVER TOLD HIM! AND NEITHER DID MICK??

WE JUST WAITED FOR HIM TO SELL IT, HE NEVER DID, THE BOOT HAS THE INST, WHICH IS GREAT, BUT THE ORIG HAS A BRILLIANT B SIDE, :rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Original....

post-225-0-91141700-1313561823.jpg

It has the fantastic "Something About My Baby" on the flip.

"Something About My Baby" also shares the same backing as Sandy Golden's "When We're All Alone Tonight" on Masterpeice. Sandy lead singer of the Sweets?

The boot...this as said simply has the instrumental onn the flip and is a plain yellow label.

post-225-0-81339000-1313562045_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Similar if you're blindfolded and sitting in the dark :lol: , original has the proper Soultown cityscape logo, bootleg is plain with just the word Soultown

bought one from you last years i think pete, the original has obviously gained greater value since the acceptance of the b-side, relevant to the crossover scene. tim offered me an original last year for £900...an established price id say. with regards to its history, its always been classed as a stormer and at this period in time where djs are searching out oldies that have just been quite accidently forgotten, the sweets fit right in that catagory. the instrumental is unique, regardless of it being on the b-side of the boot, simply because it dosnt exist in an original vinyl format...soussan being in the fortunate position of stumbling across the backing track, i guess in a demo format ( not vinyl ) whilst on his forays on the west coast. i think that this strange quirk of fate actually justifies playing the instrumental regardless of the fact it is, to all intents and purposes, a bootleg, and as with so many of the early, solid vinyl pressings, they have, in time, disappeared into people's collections....just like the originals many couldnt afford to buy....a case which still applies today...i dont think too many can argue vociferously about the case for playing certain things, for instance,...mel britt, billy woods, rufus wood....like you're just going to go out and buy any of these rareities tomorrow without spending a small fortune....yeah right, so the bootlegs have become sought after.....£50 - £100....the tamangoes was bootlegged TWICE!, in vinyl, styrene and LEGITIMATELY on grapevine, yet all three command prices not to be sniffed at,...well, getting your hands on a genuine WASHPAN would certain break most people's bank balances.

so, in the case of THE SWEETS, its time to be spun again, long overdue....instrumental played at the tower? ( not cheating )....watch and listen!.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I played this last month at Nottingham and got a good few dancing to it , i got mine off John Manship around 28 years ago for the obscure price of nine quid not long after I played something for my baby out on one of my early dj spots and got booed I also got booed same night for playing Johnny Summers I'm still yours which I'd bought off John Manship on the same day for ten quid .regards Simon.

Social source share

so, in the case of THE SWEETS, its time to be spun again, long overdue....instrumental played at the tower? ( not cheating )....watch and listen!.

I remember Andy Dyson giving it some spins not so long ago, both though it would go down well but it was clearing the floor even at oldies night, Brighouse one, we were gobsmacked.

Social source share

I played this last month at Nottingham and got a good few dancing to it , i got mine off John Manship around 28 years ago for the obscure price of nine quid not long after I played something for my baby out on one of my early dj spots and got booed I also got booed same night for playing Johnny Summers I'm still yours which I'd bought off John Manship on the same day for ten quid .regards Simon.

you got BOOED for playing 'something about my baby'? what the hell is wrong with people????? the track is a spine-tingler!

Social source share

Nope, it was booted WHEN it became big mate...

...thinking about it though, were DJ's orginally playing it from the 45 with "SAMB" on the flip, or had SS (if indeed it was him...) supplied them with early copies of the boot that he'd already pressed up? At this distance in time it's hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure the "top jocks" were playing the instrumental as well as the vocal?

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

...thinking about it though, were DJ's orginally playing it from the 45 with "SAMB" on the flip, or had SS (if indeed it was him...) supplied them with early copies of the boot that he'd already pressed up? At this distance in time it's hard to remember, but I'm pretty sure the "top jocks" were playing the instrumental as well as the vocal?

id imagine soussan would have supplied advance copies ( acetates ) of the instrumental to the top djs of the time and then decided to boot them as a double a-side once they were big tunes, disregarding the genuine b-side in preference to the urgent need for stompers. as weve grown older and wiser, weve come to appreciate the finer things and b-sides such as this are distinctly more receptive to the ear...and we can actually dance to them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert