Oddball Acetate - Who Knocked This Up?

First off a bit of background...

This acetate was purchased as part of a large lot of Motown related acetates from an auction house in Texas a few years ago.

All of the others were the real deal 8" and 10" discs - a handful of Mary Wells, an uncredited unknown crooner type track (crap) but deffo a Jobete acetate (it came with Jobete cue sheet) etc.

Presumably this was cut in the eighties - it is an acetate, but it has a purple tinge when held up at the light like the 1980s Detroit acetates I've seen in the past.

The labels are particularly well done - better than the cobbled together one on recent boots - but the paper is just a little too rough for them to pass as kosher.

So the question is - Who, When, Where and Why?

And how did it end up in a mixed lot of genuine items?

post-1281-0-91465500-1312303451_thumb.jp

post-1281-0-60591900-1312303502_thumb.jp

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I bought one of that batch from Richard Domar in late 80's.

Suspicion on one side and Marvin Gaye "Killin Me" (now known as Love starved heart) on the other side.

He had one of those you have at the time as well which my mate bought.

He only had 1 copy of each though, as I tried to get Gladys / Temps also but it had gone.

Social source share

I did those labels in the very early eighties - When those Motown tracks first turned up, I had the 4 tracks cut onto 2 discs via Dave Withers. It was no real secret as to who the real artists were, but the correct song titles did remain more elusive, hence the inaccurate titles on the labels.

The labels I did were good quality photocopies - tippexed out - and Letraset used for the titles - That became the master and I then photocopied them again to get the finished label. - Only ever did one copy of each label - M. Gaye / Temptations and G.Knight / Originals - I did them purely for myself, probably gave them away for next to nothing after they had served their purpose and the Originals single sided boot turned up.

I remember a few years back seeing one or other of them up on eBay, advertised as original acetate - I felt obliged to tell the buyer they had bought a dud.

Got no Idea how or why one of them turned up in Texas. That's quite strange, I can only assume they have been passed though various hands as originals for one of them to end up amongst genuine acetates.

Still got the artwork somewhere - dug it out at the time It was on eBay to show the buyer.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

Thanks for the replies...

So that means the one I have here is the one Mark W's friend bought off Richard Domar, which, after appearing in the eBay auction that Mick witnessed, somehow ended up in the mixed lot in Texas?

Always enjoy following the journey of a record - esp when there is a bit of a tale behind it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert