Only Boots Out There? Monitors - Crying In The Night

Mattfox

hi,

any info on this nice Motown masterpiece:

MONITORS - CRYING IN THE NIGHT (unissued Motown)

I've posted it in wants section, but no feedback...are there only boots around?! no "official" (later) pressing? what about an acetate?!

really appreciate your help ...

cheers, m.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It would appear so. Info from "Dont' forget the Motor City"....this is I think prior to the recent cd release of the Monitors on Kent.

Crying In The Night (William Weatherspoon-James Dean) publ. Jobete

The Monitors; recorded Hitsville, completed 14/06/1966 ; produced by William Weatherspoon ; [version 1]

18-Aug-97; CD (E): Debutante 530 818 2
This Is Northern Soul!
[uK]

29-Apr-02; CD (M): Spectrum 544 707 2
Tamla Motown Big Hits And Hard To Find Classics Volume 4
[uK]

02-May-05; CD (M): Motown 067 024 2
This Is Northern Soul! The Motown Sound Volume 1
[uK]

The one on ebay is a blatant bootleg but doubt they are bothered as long as the fees keep rolling in.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Ace CD has 'version 2' on it - same basic backing track with an edit on the intro, revoiced by the group a ittle later on..

We figured that 'version 1' had been on enough CDs already.

Wouldn't think the bootleggers have gotten round to bootlegging ours yet. They might be in for a nasty surprise if they do - but I;ve said too much already... :wicked:

Social source share

hi,

any info on this nice Motown masterpiece:

MONITORS - CRYING IN THE NIGHT (unissued Motown)

I've posted it in wants section, but no feedback...are there only boots around?! no "official" (later) pressing? what about an acetate?!

really appreciate your help ...

cheers, m.

Is this it?

Soul Beat Records

Crying In The Night - The Monitors - side A

My Love Is Your Love - The Isley Brothers - side B

been around for a while.

Barry

Edited by Guest
Social source share

cheers, I stumbled on this Soulbeat release several times...but it looks like a boot as well, doesn't it?!

Those are boots as well. They were done when Chris King had made it into a huge record, and still had the only copy. They weren't done by Chris though I hasten to add.

Social source share

The Ace CD has 'version 2' on it - same basic backing track with an edit on the intro, revoiced by the group a ittle later on..

We figured that 'version 1' had been on enough CDs already.

Wouldn't think the bootleggers have gotten round to bootlegging ours yet. They might be in for a nasty surprise if they do - but I;ve said too much already... :wicked:

When was take 2 recorded Tony? Same session as take 1? Only reason I ask is no details of it on Keith's site unless I've missed it.

Social source share

Guest audiavant

Those are boots as well. They were done when Chris King had made it into a huge record, and still had the only copy. They weren't done by Chris though I hasten to add.

can you expand on that statement,please.

Social source share

can you expand on that statement,please.

Not sure how you need it expanding, However: When Chris King had access to the Motrown Vault to compile the two CDs of Motown tracks he did, one of the tracks he found was 'Crying In The Night' by The Monitors. Realising how good it was, he (And I don't know which is right here) either used an original Motown acetate, or cut an acetate from the Motown Master tape and started playing it in his DJ spots.

It quite quickly became the most in demand record on the dancefloors wherever Chris DJ'ed.

Realising this, someone else bootlegged it, and put it out on the Soul Beat label.

ie They were done when Chris King had made it into a huge record, and still had the only copy. They weren't done by Chris though I hasten to add.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert