Original Or Re-Issue (Aka Pressings) On Ebay

Chris L

he says its a repro double header !

i mean it just looks terrible cheap and nasty and can't believe anybody would want to buy it

I remember when these were made and the guy who made them said they were deliberately made NOT to be lookalikes so nobody thought they were buying originals.

Social source share

This thread may well have been done before, I suspect it has, just couldn't find it.

Take a look at these 3 recent sales. Nowhere does the seller say they're pressings, when I asked he said "yes". People

have paid far too much for these and will now either not know they've bought a pressing or will have to go through the

drama of a refund (with the oh so wonderful assistance of Ebay) If I could I do something I would, what's to be done ??

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_514wt_1139

:hatsoff2: Hi I can see why you asked the question, as they all look right, however I don't think the add helps at all, and the info that I would add is whats written in the dead wax, i thinks all have been booted, the hard one is Th James Bounty which is on a thread on soulsoure and I believe covers every thing you need to no, I bet it.s a boot,

:g: And I bet this has all been said, as I jumped strait to answer, :rofl: "give a man a bone" Dave

Social source share

I always wonder who buys these and pay these prices for boots as ive not met a person who is prepared to pay out £100 and not check the authenticity.I know the northern soul collecting scene record prices have shot up over the last 10 years as it has been opened worldwide because of adverts/tv/books/ ebay etc.Are these people buying from outside the UK? and I wonder how much of it is shill bidding.I will say I have bought loads of records on here and not had one bad experience.BTW i have had the James Bounty boot and now got an original...the boot is easy to tell...it has that shiny seventies flexible styrene feel and round at the edges and would i take a punt at 99.99 on that one in the chance that it might be an original..... no..

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I always wonder who buys these and pay these prices for boots as ive not met a person who is prepared to pay out £100 and not check the authenticity.I know the northern soul collecting scene record prices have shot up over the last 10 years as it has been opened worldwide because of adverts/tv/books/ ebay etc.Are these people buying from outside the UK? and I wonder how much of it is shill bidding.I will say I have bought loads of records on here and not had one bad experience.BTW i have had the James Bounty boot and now got an original...the boot is easy to tell...it has that shiny seventies flexible styrene feel and round at the edges and would i take a punt at 99.99 on that one in the chance that it might be an original..... no..

James Bounty original demo is actually more flexible than the bootleg. Theres also a James Bounty issue but it's plain yellow.

Social source share

James Bounty original demo is actually more flexible than the bootleg. Theres also a James Bounty issue but it's plain yellow.

Just checked mine (demo).....it's the lip that definately gives the demo boot from original away....i don't think the boot has the R stamp(My Manship Guide volume 2 2008 states it is an H Stamp but it's definately an R at 4 oclock on the Life side and Prove side.)either from memory!....don't have that to compare (sold it for 99.99...oops) .BTW i'm still baffled by the Epitome red/white demo saga.....boots don't have the raised numbers? yet on my Geminiles record on Sandbag there's no raised numbers?? ...and we think archeologists are weird.They are going to have a field day with northern boots in thousands of years time.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Just checked mine (demo).....it's the lip that definately gives the demo boot from original away....i don't think the boot has the R stamp at 4 oclock on the Life side and Prove side either (from memory!)....don't have that to compare (sold it for 99.99...oops) .BTW i'm still baffled by the Epitome red/white demo saga.....boots don't have the raised numbers? yet on my Geminiles record on Sandbag there's no raised numbers?? ...and we think archeologists are weird.They are going to have a field day with northern boots in thousands of years time.

Theres no red and white boot of the Epitome of Sound...

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

There's an extremely good white demo counterfeit which has fooled loads of people, then the green one came out in 76/77, then a crappy white one a few years back...

not forgetting the slightly speeded up version under the name of Moses Smith !

post-9683-12533871726519_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Always had this down for a boot as it doesn't have the raised embossed letters on the label............rescued amongst a load of Roy Handy boots in the Daveygate Centre in York......they used to have stuff to drool over if you were into UK northern and always stuck on the walls.

post-18577-0-28384100-1325707542_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

one of the hardest to detect is the George Blackwell on Smoke i hear, whats the matrix like between the original and boot as according to j.m. book its a hard one to tell which is which.

Social source share

I know that Soulsource are not the record police but it would be great if this thread could occupy a permanent place on the forum.

Hopefully members would continue to expose unscrupulous dealers.

As it happens I've been selling off my boots bought in the early 70's at a time when I had bugger all knowledge about the originals.

Unfortunately I've only got peanuts for em, as they're advertised as such.

Thanks for posting.

Best

Mick

Social source share

Always had this down for a boot as it doesn't have the raised embossed letters on the label............rescued amongst a load of Roy Handy boots in the Daveygate Centre in York......they used to have stuff to drool over if you were into UK northern and always stuck on the walls.

Thats an original mate.

Sometimes you can't find the lettering without a microscope. That one I had yesterday, couldn't see it at all on the YDLM side, plain as day on the WWY side.

I'll give you £6.90 for your copy if you want to sell it :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!