Whats Next

Guest Bearsy

Its a secret weakness of mine, the earlier the better, jersey stuff on keytronics, movin, 111 east ect, is where its at for me in this genre.

not an anorak on soulful house but could listen to it all night and often used to years ago after the rave scene had evolved and could get back into it easy enough now its got it all, soul, feeling and dance music at its best :D

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

got to agree some of the stuff thats played recentley isnt soul or soulful,more like early rock n roll,doo wop and country and western,personally i dont mind soulfull house,the dj genesis track "tribute" is a fantastic tune it would be nice to see tracks like this mixed in with lesser played oldies more often

Social source share

When I first got into the scene it was beat ballads, 15 year since it were crossover, nowadays everyones on the funky northern tip. Wha'st next? Gospel, uptemto 7ts (stuff termed too disco int past) or even a return to soulful house?

Well i'm maybe a bit biased but for me it's gotta be C& W

We've really only scratched the surface of this genre but some of the early stuff is just f**kin awesome :ohmy:

Infact ive got on in sales right now .. :wicked:

Now don't all jump at once :wink:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

When I first got into the scene it was beat ballads, 15 year since it were crossover, nowadays everyones on the funky northern tip. Wha'st next? Gospel, uptemto 7ts (stuff termed too disco int past) or even a return to soulful house?

Gospel is already being played out, Martha Bass, Salem Travellers, Shirley Caeser, The Williams Singers, etc... Some good stuff out there, even if you're a heathen like me. :lol:

I think there's more milage in the pounding uptempo early 70s southern sound, especially female artists like Etta James.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

not an anorak on soulful house but could listen to it all night and often used to years ago after the rave scene had evolved and could get back into it easy enough now its got it all, soul, feeling and dance music at its best :D

same here matey, gave up northern in 89 to go to the Hacienda, Shelly's, Legends, shaboo ect, then just followed the soulful side of the music since then. Returned to the scene around 97ish after the best of it was done.

Social source share

I went to some nighters a few years ago at le scala, Keb and Ion arranged them I think. Northern top floor, funk middle floor and soulful house bottom floor, probably nine/ten years ago now?

Social source share

same here matey, gave up northern in 89 to go to the Hacienda, Shelly's, Legends, shaboo ect, then just followed the soulful side of the music since then. Returned to the scene around 97ish after the best of it was done.

that was my route into northrn when the house scene became stagnenet and was going nowhere fast.

but I didn't do northern pre house my teenage years were spent listening to indie bands like wedding present, pixies etc etc

house wise the DIY nights were great for me and they were spot on with the deep house and the atmosphere was tip top.

Social source share

For me there has to be a Soulful vocal over a decent rhythm. I don't personally get off on Rock & Roll, C&W, Rockabilly, Jump Blues or Popcorn for my personal needs and there's not much stuff prior to '64-'65 that rocks my particular boat, so it's pretty much '65 onwards, but really '67 onwards that I really like in terms of what we might call traditional Northern or Rare Soul.

I think there's tons of great 70's and 80's releases which have yet to have their day. Many of 'em are relative cheapies now but I can see many of 'em eventually becoming anthems because, in terms of sheer quality, I think they're difficult to beat. Only a matter of time before they come through hopefully.

I like Soulful House but the percentage of great stuff to mediocre also-rans is huge to my ears. I go through this stuff all the time and at best I maybe only get a 2% personal hit rate. But the ones which are great are right up there with my all-time faves for sure.

So I wouldn't mind a night which concentrated on some great underplayed or unknown late 60's traditional Northern, tons of underplayed great 70's and early 80's gems and a smattering of the better 90's & 00's Soulful House killers. Plenty of scope there for me.

Ian D :D

Social source share

What's next----some wag will start playing northern soul :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I went to some nighters a few years ago at le scala, Keb and Ion arranged them I think. Northern top floor, funk middle floor and soulful house bottom floor, probably nine/ten years ago now?

Yes I went to them as well. Good night but a lot of stairs to climb :lol:

Maybe a bit of all of the above keeps the scene interesting, although I personally could do without the R&R and C&W blink.png

Social source share

Maybe a bit of all of the above keeps the scene interesting, although I personally could do without the R&R and C&W blink.png

Agreed. Incidentaly, I've really enjoyed the couple of Soulful House sets I've caught you playing @ Prestatyn by the way. It's refreshing to know you keep your ears open to this stuff alongside everything else. :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Soulful House music is not Northern Soul music and has quite enough venues already without having to force it on people at Northern venues. It's bad enough having to endure modern, crossover and funk, yet the purveyors of this type of music continue to try to force feed it to disinterested punters and yet they dismiss proper roots-of-soul rhythm & blues as rock n roll and country music.

Social source share

Yes I went to them as well. Good night but a lot of stairs to climb :lol:

At one of them the soulful house room kicked out early, I went down there and the northern room's music was being pumped in, ended up dancing in there all on my own, saved climbing the stairs :)

Social source share

Soulful House music is not Northern Soul music and has quite enough venues already without having to force it on people at Northern venues. It's bad enough having to endure modern, crossover and funk, yet the purveyors of this type of music continue to try to force feed it to disinterested punters and yet they dismiss proper roots-of-soul rhythm & blues as rock n roll and country music.

You just don't get it Pete.

Personally, I actually like Northern Soul, rare soul, beat ballads, Deep Soul, Funk, Crossover, 70s, 80s, and some Y2k.

I do not like C&W or R&R.

I do hope that is clear enough for you, and no apologies at all if that don't fit with your blinkered definition of what I should like :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest john s

Personally I like 60s soul music (mid-, down, and up-tempo), early funk, r'n'b from the 40s to the 60s, ska, rocksteady, early reggae, (some) rock'n'roll, 60s garage, latin, freakbeat, UK beat and more - what unifies them (in my mind) is the production and the 'sound' of the records, and to me they fit together more naturally than with 70s and 80s soul, soulful house, US garage, boogie, disco, which as far as I can see are something completely different.

But then I haven't been part of the SWONS for the last 30-odd years... :rolleyes:

Social source share

You just don't get it Pete.

Personally, I actually like Northern Soul, rare soul, beat ballads, Deep Soul, Funk, Crossover, 70s, 80s, and some Y2k.

I do not like C&W or R&R.

I do hope that is clear enough for you, and no apologies at all if that don't fit with your blinkered definition of what I should like :rolleyes:

I don't give a toss what you like, but lucky you for being so cosmopolitan in your tastes, aren't you great :huh:

Social source share

For me there has to be a Soulful vocal over a decent rhythm. I don't personally get off on Rock & Roll, C&W, Rockabilly, Jump Blues or Popcorn for my personal needs and there's not much stuff prior to '64-'65 that rocks my particular boat, so it's pretty much '65 onwards, but really '67 onwards that I really like in terms of what we might call traditional Northern or Rare Soul.

I think there's tons of great 70's and 80's releases which have yet to have their day. Many of 'em are relative cheapies now but I can see many of 'em eventually becoming anthems because, in terms of sheer quality, I think they're difficult to beat. Only a matter of time before they come through hopefully.

I like Soulful House but the percentage of great stuff to mediocre also-rans is huge to my ears. I go through this stuff all the time and at best I maybe only get a 2% personal hit rate. But the ones which are great are right up there with my all-time faves for sure.

So I wouldn't mind a night which concentrated on some great underplayed or unknown late 60's traditional Northern, tons of underplayed great 70's and early 80's gems and a smattering of the better 90's & 00's Soulful House killers. Plenty of scope there for me.

I notice no one mentioned 90's or even Y2K indie soul, for me there's probably more miliage in street soul or even what was on the fringes of the acid Jazz scene.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I think the problem with House is the frightening prospect of some of our DJ's trying to count 1,2,3,4..........The tunes are created by design to be mixed together. continous flow,

I remember MAW on Portsmouth Pier, 4 hour set, four decks, two mixers, DJ's who know their tunes and know how to use them. Really work a crowd.

Our traditional way of playing records wouldn't suit it. hell whats happens if a records worth $1000 dollars in twenty years time, and you need the dub and the acapella to get the most from it.

Social source share

yet they dismiss proper roots-of-soul rhythm & blues as rock n roll and country music.

I lot of what I hear played of this ilk are tin pan alley also rans and have less connection to black music than music made by black musicians, frequently from detriot and chcago, for black audiences in the past 25 years.

Social source share

Mmmm. 4/4 drumming with an impassioned vocalist wailing his or her heart out over a deadly rhythm track. What's so different apart from updated production values?

I presume your personal cut-off point is circa '69 Pete? :g:

Is this really a question of modern production values rather than anything else I wonder?

Social source share

yet they dismiss proper roots-of-soul rhythm & blues as rock n roll and country music.

I lot of what I hear played of this ilk are tin pan alley also rans and have less connection to black music than music made by black musicians, frequently from detriot and chcago, for black audiences in the past 25 years.

Yep. I agree.

Social source share

What's so wrong with being cosmopolitan and open minded? :g:

Those are qualities I admire......

Nothing at all Ian, and I know your taste in music is amongst the broadest I know.

I just don't 'get' the connection with R&R and C&W. For me soul started in the early 60s - Money, Chuck Jackson, etc, and northern sounds really around 64/5. It developed in part (but not exclusively) from R&B - but that doesn't mean I have to like R&B as someone on here implied yesterday. As it happens I do like some, have just got a minty London copy of "The Walk" for example - great song. But then again I also like Bull Moose Jackson "Big 10 inch" :ohmy: Kip Anderson, and a host of other not really soul R&B records. Undoubtebly Randy was to blame for putting me onto these types of records :lol: But all joking aside, I wouldn't want to hear them at a nighter. Anything before the mid 60s doesn't really fit my personal description of northern soul. At the other end whilst I like a bit of soulful house I don't think that either would fit into a niter environment well.

Whilst I don't like R&R I do respect those that have kept the torch of that genre shining. Thing is those guys don't rate the records that have crossed over to the northern scene. Geeselad charitably described it as "tin pan alley", I think some of the genuine R&R guys wouldn't be quite so complimentary.

I just sense that as we evolve, the types of sounds played at the venues will losen somewhat to be more of a 'bit of everything' whether that be northern, funky northern, xover, midtempo, kick ass uptempo, uplifting gospel and beyond. And whilst Peter S might fire off objections from behind his computer screen, as a self confessed "non attender", I am sure that his views will be drowned out for the most part by good quality music.

Social source share

Cajun music stomps from the swamps :thumbup: that,ll sort the men from the boys blink.png

Went to see the Savoy Family the other night in a little bandroom on the North Yorkshire moors - they were fantastic. People of all ages up and dancing from the off - don't think anyone was bothered that some of the instrumentation was not quite authentic, they were just determined to enjoy themselves :)

Social source share

To be truthfull ..i've never really taken to the idea of "pigeon holing" genres of music as regards to the "northern soul " scene.

Myself ..i'm all ears and would'nt discount anything, as i've heard some tunes over the last 30+ yrs that have fitted in but aren't soulful by any definition .

But for those of you who have put in your penneth regarding certain genre's ,i would appreciate these lot putting into boxes please...

BARBARA REDD - I'LL BE ALL ALONE

BARBARA DANE - I'M ON MY WAY

JOHNNY DOLLAR -GIRL YOUR MAMMA TOLD YOU ..NO YOUTUBE :(

NARVEL FELTS -GIRL COME BACK

MP3 removed as per site rules!!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Preems

personally love C&W R&B R&R & DooWopp as well, but i'm out in California, I'm interested to know either A anyone have some good soulful/jersey house recommendations and or B is there a good thread or two you could link me too. I would love to learn more about this music, or at least here Ian D's 2% :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Social source share

I'll have dig and

personally love C&W R&B R&R & DooWopp as well, but i'm out in California, I'm interested to know either A anyone have some good soulful/jersey house recommendations and or B is there a good thread or two you could link me too. I would love to learn more about this music, or at least here Ian D's 2% :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

I'll have dig and post some on tis thread in a bit.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well i'm maybe a bit biased but for me it's gotta be C& W

...what, both of them?

Couldn't really see anyone groovin' to western music at an all nighter...

...but country's a whole different matter! :lol:

In fact I played a country 45 at Majestic Soul the other week. Didn't cause any mass emptying of the room and the organisers were not deluged with complaints, to the best of my knowledge....

But that's just me I suppose...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

'NEV'

To be truthfull ..i've never really taken to the idea of "pigeon holing" genres of music as regards to the "northern soul " scene.

Myself ..i'm all ears and would'nt discount anything, as i've heard some tunes over the last 30+ yrs that have fitted in but aren't soulful by any definition .

But for those of you who have put in your penneth regarding certain genre's ,i would appreciate these lot putting into boxes please...

BARBARA REDD - I'LL BE ALL ALONE

BARBARA DANE - I'M ON MY WAY

JOHNNY DOLLAR -GIRL YOUR MAMMA TOLD YOU ..NO YOUTUBE :(

NARVEL FELTS -GIRL COME BACK

If I had To pigeon hole ‘em remembering that I’m a cross the board person,

Barbara Redd - I'll Be All Alone (S.P.Q.R) Swing

Barbara Dane - I'm On My Way (Trey) R & B

Johnny Dollar - Girl Your Mamma Told You (McCormick) R N R the N standing for Northern

Narvel Felts - Girl Come Back (Renay) 60,s doowop

You asked Nev Don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

All 12's of course.

Some soulful garage that have been played on the scene over the last 5 years

UBP feat Bobby Pruit- As one- Soulfuric

UBP feat Micheal Proctor- Love dont live AM PM uk

Joi Cardwell- Let it go- Deep soul

Ron Hall and the muthafunkers- I love the way you love me

DJ Gemini- Tribute to Betty

Classic Deep House and Garage IMHO

Phase ii- Reachin- Movin

La Charanda- We just started- Movin

CC Rodgers- Someday- Atlantic

Pasadenas- Going Round- MAW mix

Stearling void- I dont want to go DJ Int

Wall of sound- Run to me ,LP mix, 8 Ball

Guy Costley- Somebody here- Movin

UBO Proj- When I fell in love ( vocal mix)UBQ

Ten City- Where do we go- Atlantic ( has this got not soul? it makes me weep!)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!