The Next Generation

I keep hearing how in other parts of the world soul music is being appreciated by a younger crowd - whether it's Europe, USA, Australia, it's the same message coming through loud and clear.

So why is it then, that in the country that was for so long the only real guardian of non hit soul music, aside from perhaps Japan, that there isn't a younger generation who are getting into that type of soul music here?

Are we victims of our own legacy? Doe we have a scene that is seen to be populated by "old(er) timers" (and thus not trendy). A scene that is mired in politics and look backs to venues that shut their doors before these younger folk were even born? Or is it something else? :g:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

There is no appeal for youngsters its their Dads/ Grandads scene full of unwriten rules . It would be great to see young people take soul music to heart and do it their way and create a whole new scene without us but I doubt that its going to happen in significant numbers

Social source share

Guest Beeks

What about Liam and the Beat Boutique boys?

Or The Broken Bottles lot in Leeds?

They not young enough for you?

I don't think it's a question of youngsters getting into the scene..I think it's a question of the older generation choosing to ignore the youngsters who DO get into the scene..or even become hostile to them..so they go off and do their own thing

Doesn't mean they don't exist

Social source share

I don't think it's a question of youngsters getting into the scene..I think it's a question of the older generation choosing to ignore the youngsters who DO get into the scene..or even become hostile to them..so they go off and do their own thing

Spot on, Beeks .............Liam's 48 isn't he :D seen him at the 100 club anyway.

Social source share

as a general rule i'd see it as more that (rightly) teenagers don't want to hang around with a bunch of 50-year olds+ on a night out, they won't be able to afford to buy the OG vinyl they hear generally so will simply d/l the tracks they like and play it amongst their mates off their laptop or ipod. you can quote a few exceptions that might run the odd night, but how many of their age group in attendance actually care that they're playing their 45's, they just like the music. a few may buy into the mystique of the ns/rare soul scene but it won't be many, it's not possible unless they're loaded! and old people at a night out = bunch of old farts to most teens!

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

as a general rule i'd see it as more that (rightly) teenagers don't want to hang around with a bunch of 50-year olds+ on a night out, they won't be able to afford to buy the OG vinyl they hear generally so will simply d/l the tracks they like and play it amongst their mates off their laptop or ipod. you can quote a few exceptions that might run the odd night, but how many of their age group in attendance actually care that they're playing their 45's, they just like the music. a few may buy into the mystique of the ns/rare soul scene but it won't be many, it's not possible unless they're loaded! and old people at a night out = bunch of old farts to most teens!

Yep, I'd agree with that.

Also, there are very limited opportunities to DJ for the younger element in UK (unless it's at your Dad/Grandad's gig), so they create their own with their own records. Plus, from what I can tell their scene's are different, (musically), from the traditional Northern styled events. I've no doubt if they had the dosh they'd be playing major DJ parts on the existing scene though. I think it's great that they do 'their own thing', in their own way, within their own age-group. "It's Northern Soul Jim...but not as we know it!" :thumbsup:

In Europe or the US there are many opportunities to become a 'DJ/face/name' so they are driven to create their own scenes with their peers. In Spain, you see lots of people at gigs but hardly any record sales. I've taken sales boxes to gigs and not sold a single 45 all weekend to locals. (That may well be a slur on my sales though! :lol: )

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

not guilty beeks, luv to see youngsters on the floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

I keep hearing how in other parts of the world soul music is being appreciated by a younger crowd - whether it's Europe, USA, Australia, it's the same message coming through loud and clear.

So why is it then, that in the country that was for so long the only real guardian of non hit soul music, aside from perhaps Japan, that there isn't a younger generation who are getting into that type of soul music here?

Are we victims of our own legacy? Doe we have a scene that is seen to be populated by "old(er) timers" (and thus not trendy). A scene that is mired in politics and look backs to venues that shut their doors before these younger folk were even born? Or is it something else? :g:

I think you've pretty much answered your own question Steve, what young people want to mix with old, they surely want to create their own niche, not hang on an older generations coat tails. Politics and yesteryear, would have an influence on their decision IMO to join us, if they actually were joining us. On the plus side, some of the funkier stuff being played may attract them, but I would think they'd set up their own venues to listen/dance/play it.

Winnie :)

Social source share

Azza DJ'ed at the Wilton last week, Callum at Burnley week before, Lifeline gave the Beat Boutique boys a set, Paul did a great set, Liam failed to turn up, not the first time either I was told. They aren't being ignored but they do have to have something more to offer than what is already there and with the quality of collections and experience some of the older generation have they are gonna take some shifting, no good giving someone a set just because of their age.

All the three I've mentioned did themselves no harm, Paul Barker especially. He had the best hour of the night at Lifeline and did a cracking set and I for one would recommend him to any promoter.

It has been said though that places the younger generation frequent are not the same as your traditional soul night/nighter with different genres played by the young uns that probably wouldn't go down as well with the older generation.

Also think the age difference has something to do with it and the location. Would the Beat Boutique boys get the same crowd and amount through the door if it wasn't one of the countries largest cities with a very large student population? The youngsters are more than welcome at Lifeline but I don't think by and large they are up for the travelling like the older generation???

Social source share

Azza DJ'ed at the Wilton last week, Callum at Burnley week before, Lifeline gave the Beat Boutique boys a set, Paul did a great set, Liam failed to turn up, not the first time either I was told. They aren't being ignored but they do have to have something more to offer than what is already there and with the quality of collections and experience some of the older generation have they are gonna take some shifting, no good giving someone a set just because of their age.

All the three I've mentioned did themselves no harm, Paul Barker especially. He had the best hour of the night at Lifeline and did a cracking set and I for one would recommend him to any promoter.

It has been said though that places the younger generation frequent are not the same as your traditional soul night/nighter with different genres played by the young uns that probably wouldn't go down as well with the older generation.

Also think the age difference has something to do with it and the location. Would the Beat Boutique boys get the same crowd and amount through the door if it wasn't one of the countries largest cities with a very large student population? The youngsters are more than welcome at Lifeline but I don't think by and large they are up for the travelling like the older generation???

i think you meant if it was'nt one of the largest cities with a large student population. chalky

mark

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

We had Rich and Azza from Empty Bottles at Move On and both were fantastic, both DJing and staying dancing right up until the end. It's true Chalky that there is a whole different scene out there that is being built by Empty Bottles and Beat Boutique and European events. Adam tells me that Broken Bottles has quite a following amongst the younger crowd in the Manchester area and I think these more central events rely on people who might not travel the length of the country like we used to, and don't have to.

Like I say they are building their own events and their own following, maybe with a nod to the older crowd and the traditions of the northern scene, but one day they won't need us anymore and I reckon fewer and fewer of the attendees will even know the older scene exists. Good luck to them I say. :thumbsup:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

the scene here is dominated by dj,s/promoters who in the main are over 50,fat, balding and males, a smattering of old thinnish blokes with hair and a few old geezers with dodgy tattoos,

there are very few female djs/promoters and the young ones that do take part do so because their parents are involved .

although there are some really good young dj,s round our way, they seem to be playin more for the novelty value rather than for their talent.

and when you get issues like OVO and the cost of these , then its no wonder the youngsters are put off.

untill they get there own old boy network they have no chance,

just my humble opinion of course :hatsoff2:

Social source share

We had Rich and Azza from Empty Bottles at Move On and both were fantastic, both DJing and staying dancing right up until the end. It's true Chalky that there is a whole different scene out there that is being built by Empty Bottles and Beat Boutique and European events. Adam tells me that Broken Bottles has quite a following amongst the younger crowd in the Manchester area and I think these more central events rely on people who might not travel the length of the country like we used to, and don't have to.

Like I say they are building their own events and their own following, maybe with a nod to the older crowd and the traditions of the northern scene, but one day they won't need us anymore and I reckon fewer and fewer of the attendees will even know the older scene exists. Good luck to them I say. :thumbsup:

I agree wholeheartedly, good luck to them. I say get on with what they are doing and sod the more traditional side of the scene, they can do without the baggage that goes with it.

I'm gonna try and get across to BB and sample it for myself, I heard what Paul plays and seen other playlists, looks good.

Your first paragraph is basically what I was saying about it the venues success being due in part to the location and student population.

Social source share

think there's a great connection between manc and leeds at the moment, also met some good lads from down south, so think it is in quite good health but would certainly like to see more younguns, more the merrier

shameless plug for a more chilled out night i run with paul barker, last month we had brett franklin, joe dutton and mark etheridge playing , this month sees clanger, azza and paul havekin coming down.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415841770233

maxwell

Social source share

There do seem to be more youngsters on the scene now than about 10-15 years ago. I was the only youngster at the union in nottingham nearly every time. Things do seem to be changing now particulary in the north west manchester area.

I used to see the odd few younger soul fans but at the last kings hall I went to in March there were significantly more.

They do seem to be moving slowly onto the scene and also starting a few promotions of there own.

Social source share

There do seem to be more youngsters on the scene now than about 10-15 years ago. I was the only youngster at the union in nottingham nearly every time. Things do seem to be changing now particulary in the north west manchester area.

I used to see the odd few younger soul fans but at the last kings hall I went to in March there were significantly more.

They do seem to be moving slowly onto the scene and also starting a few promotions of there own.

Andy D said at the last Kings Hall the upfront room was full of youngsters.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I think the music has to be re invented by young people. Their innocence may guide them with curiosity to the oldies, but via modern tracks and new songs from today or even 5/10 years ago etc.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've been fortunate to play twice at the Beat Boutique nights twice over the last few years, i played 70's amongst other guys/girls playing 60's etc, floor was rammed all night, place was packed, plus i went across to BB whilst i was in Manchester for the excellent Euro weekender a couple of months back (Liam instrumental in that great event) and the place was again packed a mixture of rare soul on offer, the crowd were predominantly in their 20's, and how refreshing to see attractive fashionable kids enjoying and dancing non stop. I think the soul scene evolves in it's on way, make no mistake these are the future maybe a different ear and outlook and i think some of the old brigade may not like it, but i sure did.

Brett

Social source share

Seems like there's a growning crowd looking for an authentic, credible, alternative to the ultra comercial, 3rd hand regurgatations that pass for youth culture nowadays, strangly enough as George pionted out in the excellent last issue of soul up north this seems to be concentrated in the more cosmopolitian city areas, just the kinda kids who shunned the scene in its hey day. When Northern soul was all about kids from the provinces. Thats only an issue as many city kid hipsters are notoriously fickle in there aproach to culture. Hope those on board, stay on board.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Well Im 30 this year and have been going to Soul do's since I was 16 and to be honest most of my mates are older than me. I have seen some younger ones coming into the scene some come and some go some take the piss you just need to respect your elders get the knowledge . I have had some of the best chats about records etc with my mates than some nob my age down the pub checking is bloody I phone every ten mins or more concerned about getting pissed bollocks to em.

Social source share

Steve at Va Va Voom when i DJ'd there were 'yougnsters' dancing around and having a ball - you were there did you not see them??. One coming up to the decks after each record asking what it was. Now this is probably limitied to the major cities like London and Manchester (Stevie Cato's do's for one) - THEY made my nite, if it wasn't for them i would have gone home disponednet, but they lifted me right up.

A couple of factors to this IMO - location; location; location (ok, that's three; they don't need or want to travel to the middle of nowhere to look at old people dance) and two - the music - they want up-front (good) dance music - watching these people dance - its not northern soul dancing... its just...good and it's a pleasure to DJ to them.

Now, if we are talking where are the 'youngsters' on the trad nothern soul scene...then we are truely are facked

Social source share

I think if someone started dancing Northern style in Vancouver, you'd hear the needle sccccrrrreeeeaaach. Nobody knows what the hell Northern is out here. And it's certainly about the Motown sounds, not so much uber-rare, and certainly not Modern. You'll pack the floor with Edwin Starr 25 Miles every night of the week. There's certainly a swelling of soul interest -- but it'll be interesting to see if it progresses down the Northern path, or just fizzles out.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It isnt just the cities that have these events. There is a succesful club in Stroud, Gloucestershire (A town with a lot of Northern Soul history) called Mockers, that takes its playlist from the 60s and includes a fair amount of Northern Soul. Again, all on vinyl.

And the benefit is seen at the Gloucester allnighter where the last couple I have been to, there is a good crowd of younger people, encouraged to try the allnighter after visiting Mockers.

Social source share

It isnt just the cities that have these events. There is a succesful club in Stroud, Gloucestershire (A town with a lot of Northern Soul history) called Mockers, that takes its playlist from the 60s and includes a fair amount of Northern Soul. Again, all on vinyl.

And the benefit is seen at the Gloucester allnighter where the last couple I have been to, there is a good crowd of younger people, encouraged to try the allnighter after visiting Mockers.

I think Chalks said something very relevant Mike about people not wanting to travel. You used to go to the Dome and Scenesville, quite a lot of younger people there, same as the 100, but did they go outside of London, as a general rule? One of the other things that has come up before, youngsters not actually dancing northern, is that acceptable? I'm asking that cos if you're dancing next to someone who's wandering about, rather than dancing, beer in hand are you thinking, please don't invade my bit of dancefloor, or are you thinking, never mind, he/she is the future of northern, so it's ok?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think Chalks said something very relevant Mike about people not wanting to travel. You used to go to the Dome and Scenesville, quite a lot of younger people there, same as the 100, but did they go outside of London, as a general rule? One of the other things that has come up before, youngsters not actually dancing northern, is that acceptable? I'm asking that cos if you're dancing next to someone who's wandering about, rather than dancing, beer in hand are you thinking, please don't invade my bit of dancefloor, or are you thinking, never mind, he/she is the future of northern, so it's ok?

Good question.

When I first became aware of Northern Soul, one of the things that appealed to me was, it didn't matter how good or bad you danced. just as long as you danced. At my youth club or local disco, men dancing generally had the mickey taken out of them, either to their face or behind their back.

At a Northern Soul night if someone fell over doing a spin, they were helped up, and everyone pretty much just carried on. (Generalisation but one I relate to).

So how someone dances doesnt really matter to me. Having drinks in their hand is something I hate. but as has been discussed on here many times, we didnt grow up with Rohipnol as a drug of some people's choosing. So the younger crowd have it drummed into them to keep their drinks to themselves for protection. I was completely on the side of getting them off the floor. But have been persuaded to think differently by good arguments from some of the younger posters on here.

There is a difference between someone dancing and having a great time, with a drink in their hand, and someone taking the mickey. With or without a drink. If the person is having fun. Then a friendly word often brings the right results. But getting angry because that person wants to protect their drink, in an environment they arent sure of does nobody any good.

As you say the Dome, Scenesville etc had a very healthy number of younger people. And often the dancefloor could be pretty messy from spilled drinks. I dont think that stopped them being superb nights tho. Although I know it did spoil things for others.

Social source share

Good question.

When I first became aware of Northern Soul, one of the things that appealed to me was, it didn't matter how good or bad you danced. just as long as you danced. At my youth club or local disco, men dancing generally had the mickey taken out of them, either to their face or behind their back.

At a Northern Soul night if someone fell over doing a spin, they were helped up, and everyone pretty much just carried on. (Generalisation but one I relate to).

So how someone dances doesnt really matter to me. Having drinks in their hand is something I hate. but as has been discussed on here many times, we didnt grow up with Rohipnol as a drug of some people's choosing. So the younger crowd have it drummed into them to keep their drinks to themselves for protection. I was completely on the side of getting them off the floor. But have been persuaded to think differently by good arguments from some of the younger posters on here.

There is a difference between someone dancing and having a great time, with a drink in their hand, and someone taking the mickey. With or without a drink. If the person is having fun. Then a friendly word often brings the right results. But getting angry because that person wants to protect their drink, in an environment they arent sure of does nobody any good.

As you say the Dome, Scenesville etc had a very healthy number of younger people. And often the dancefloor could be pretty messy from spilled drinks. I dont think that stopped them being superb nights tho. Although I know it did spoil things for others.

Have to concede the argument re: date rape drugs is a valid one, and not something I'd considered even though I've told my own daughter to keep her drink with her :thumbsup:

Social source share

So how someone dances doesnt really matter to me. Having drinks in their hand is something I hate. but as has been discussed on here many times, we didnt grow up with Rohipnol as a drug of some people's choosing. So the younger crowd have it drummed into them to keep their drinks to themselves for protection.

No wonder I can remember f*ck all these days, I always put it down to age :D Must take my drink with me in future.

I seriously doubt rohypnol is a drug of choice on then soul scene though. Town centre bars full of prowlers maybe?

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I guess it depends on what you mean by youngsters? Being 31 myself I would not want to go somewhere full of 17 -20 year olds as they, generally speaking, can't hold their drink or drugs and are a bit dim (I know I was at that age) . In London and other big City's it seems there is a crowd of people between the ages of 25 - 40 who I would say are the younger element. I think there is a growing number of people of this age group coming into the northern/funk/mod scene and most of them are happy to hear a wider range of soul music at venues, which in my book is a good thing. Also not having the baggage of being on a scene for 30 + years can keep things a bit fresher.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No wonder I can remember f*ck all these days, I always put it down to age :D Must take my drink with me in future. I seriously doubt rohypnol is a drug of choice on then soul scene though. Town centre bars full of prowlers maybe?

Agreed Chalky. But do you want your 21 year old in a room full of 40-70 year old men, not taking care of her drink?

We think it is pretty safe, thanks to having a long history of attendance. But many people when they first turn up, wont differentiate between a safe environment where people leave their bags etc all night, and a dodgy disco where someone will be looking to drug an unsuspecting person.

Maybe with time they'll feel relaxed enough to leave their drink on a table while dancing. But some may be put off by then. Just ask Andy BB or Martin Gavin about my friend Helen at the Dome. I dont think they'll ever forget her reaction to being asked not to take her drink on the floor. :lol:

On this point I think 'we' have a lot to learn from 'the newbies'. And there is a middle ground. That is where people arent discouraged from attending. And then they can hopefully learn that Soul nights and noters arent the same as their local Tiffanies or whatever is de rigeur nowadays for the local fightspot.

Social source share

Somebody once noted that the problem with the rare soul lot in the UK is that they have pulled the ladder up so far, nobody can join them.

Very good point.

Seems all these years of 'Keeping The Faith' has eventually come round to biting the scene on it's own arse.

Social source share

What gets a little on me nerves is the focus on dj'ing and collecting rather than dancing!! C'mon it's great to see propper northern soulin and that's what really keeps it alive and attractive!!! I frantically collect and dj but for me it is the dancing and the friendly atmosphere what makes northern soul special !!!!!

(

)

(

)

I do see light at the end of the tunel in the uk as projects like young souls & northern soul film keep the focus on dancing!! The scene will get smaller but that's certainly for the better!!!!

This may only be happening in the bigger cities but it does happen and it's the only way to get younger people into it rather then the prospect of spending lots of dosh on records. I think a youngster is rather gobsmacked by the old farts fantastic dancing rather then his collection. I have to say some of you older guys can dance like the devil and it's such a pleasure to watch!!! Great moves, fantastic timing and even some great acrobatics!!!! The collecting site will come along anyway as some like to dig a little deeper!!! ...Ovo club nights will actually help to bring youngsters on the collecting side as expensive overplayed oldies playlists can be exchanged for some cheaper underplayed oldies or newies!!! The prices will come down, the scene in the north will definatly get a lot smaller but a few venues will make it worthwhile for the few who like to travel!!! The rest of the country will have a few good nights here and there and in 10 years time a healthy mix of young and old will keep the faith!!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

What gets a little on me nerves is the focus on dj'ing and collecting rather than dancing!! C'mon it's great to see propper northern soulin and that's what really keeps it alive and attractive!!! I frantically collect and dj but for me it is the dancing and the friendly atmosphere what makes northern soul special !!!!!

I do see light at the end of the tunel in the uk as projects like young souls & northern soul film keep the focus on dancing!! The scene will get smaller but that's certainly for the better!!!!

This may only be happening in the bigger cities but it does happen and it's the only way to get younger people into it rather then the prospect of spending lots of dosh on records. I think a youngster is rather gobsmacked by the old farts fantastic dancing rather then his collection. I have to say some of you older guys can dance like the devil and it's such a pleasure to watch!!! Great moves, fantastic timing and even some great acrobatics!!!! The collecting site will come along anyway as some like to dig a little deeper!!! ...Ovo club nights will actually help to bring youngsters on the collecting side as expensive overplayed oldies playlists can be exchanged for some cheaper underplayed oldies or newies!!! The prices will come down, the scene in the north will definatly get a lot smaller but a few venues will make it worthwhile for the few who like to travel!!! The rest of the country will have a few good nights here and there and in 10 years time a healthy mix of young and old will keep the faith!!!

Fantastic upbeat post amongst all the gloom on here.

Keep it underground in smaller clubs with lots of atmosphere

Keep it OVO and special

Keep the emphasis on dancing

Keep playing new tunes that make you want to dance

The next generation will come through if it is interesting enough, we all did.

I can't see the younger crowd changing much either. The etiquette that is in place has evolved over time and is there through necessity. If drinks on a floor or regular fights in a city centre venue become the norm those people that do not like it will move elsewhere and leave the part-timers, touble makers and tourists to it. It's all about choosing the night that suits you and the scene will evolve accordingly.

I don't think we need to worry about the scene as a whole but promotors better keep an eye on their night and make sure it's ticking all the boxes.

Doc

Edited by Dr Pickles
Social source share

Social source share

Somebody once noted that the problem with the rare soul lot in the UK is that they have pulled the ladder up so far, nobody can join them.

Somebody.? You not in the UK.? The end is nigh chaps - JUMP.!!! :lol:

Just watched the Young Souls clip....looks good.One thing though,most of the featured guys (Casper,Tommo,did i see Trickster?) in the clip,aren't exactly in the full bloom of youth.In fact they are older than father time... :lol: ..Young Souls,need older chaps around to show em how to do it.Always good to see young uns on the scene.. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Somebody.? You not in the UK.? The end is nigh chaps - JUMP.!!! :lol:

Just watched the Young Souls clip....looks good.One thing though,most of the featured guys (Casper,Tommo,did i see Trickster?) in the clip,aren't exactly in the full bloom of youth.In fact they are older than father time... :lol: ..Young Souls,need older chaps around to show em how to do it.Always good to see young uns on the scene.. :thumbsup:

You're only saying that because you look about 12 Kev ;)

Social source share

love the film clips....its like a good many of us have been nuturing a field of crops with tender loving care and only now are we seeing the fruits of our labour, weve cogitated for at least two decades now, as to where new blood is coming from to supplement the scene but it appears our misgivings were premature. i cant speak for the rest of the u.k.,.....only you brothers & sisters on soulsource can reflect your present day experiences but i, and kev roberts and every other attendee at stoke had an unobstructed view of the young generation coming into bloom, be they attracted to the mod aspect of the scene or having emerged from under the wings of their guiding light...their parents...there is wholehearted approval, there were many nodding heads. the scene wont shrink and hasnt, its now a global blueprint, atrademark with REAL creedence, a distinct way of escaping the computer generated world of brainwashing pop that cannot possibly pay homage to its roots, its so far gone down the road to oblivion....generations of youngsters instead want indepth knowledge of what has made us, the OLDER PEOPLE, tick and they have learned to understand what this musical phenomenon is about and why it endures....and suddenly its their world, its for real, the music has lyrics they can identify with and they can get off on it without the realliance of the old enemy, drugs, that precipitate the futility of everything else around them

.........TO QUOTE THE WHO......"THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT"

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I think the theme running through this thread is that youngsters will attend events in city centre bars/clubs however seem to be put of by football/rugby clubs ethos who's sole purpose is a nostalgia trip, youngsters will always have an interest in fashion to some extent, old men in flares and a "Keep the faith" T-shirt just doesn't cut it for them

Social source share

Jules, I think that is a fair call. But sometimes I wonder how deep the love really is versus it's a trendy bar playing different music.Mind you I guess the scene has always had it;s passing trade. Anyway I hope more youngsters discover some of the wonderful music that exists. It would be a real shame if the music died (as other popular music forms obstensively already have), with the generation that originally cherished it. Much of non northern soul music is already obstensively a dead music form now, so let's hope that the rest of it doesn't go the same way.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Jules, I think that is a fair call. But sometimes I wonder how deep the love really is versus it's a trendy bar playing different music.Mind you I guess the scene has always had it;s passing trade. Anyway I hope more youngsters discover some of the wonderful music that exists. It would be a real shame if the music died (as other popular music forms obstensively already have), with the generation that originally cherished it. Much of non northern soul music is already obstensively a dead music form now, so let's hope that the rest of it doesn't go the same way.

Whilst there is still a Mod Scene, there will always be a demand for 60's soul, most of the people i know into soul, and i'm 40 found it that way, the introduction of funkier sounds will certainly attract people

Will the future be "Northern Soul" or will it be just be a Rare Soul Scene. Many events have already dropped the Northern Tag prefering the latter.

Certainly more apt, after all the music we love is played all over the world, not restricted to clubs of the north

Social source share

No worries there will always be propper clubs and up for it soulies, maybe just not as much !!! As for other popular music forms which where in a dire state when northern soul was at it's peak.... rock n roll , swing and r & b is having a huge revival with dance classes, concerts, fashion shows, clubs, pubs....the lot!!!! Northern Soul will always have that mod, skinhead, scooterboy, funkster , tank top n flares connection and will always draw people from those scenes as well !!!

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

and if there aren't many youngsters getting into northern then spare a thought for young soul fans who love deep soul.......

now that is a very rare commodity.

for me the best northern DJs have always been those who also collect deep.

Social source share

Gotta say ' Thank whoever ' for the fact we ARE getting more and more younger people attending our nights here at the FLY in Fremantle, Western Australia. It's great to see as far as we are concerned, and yes we have had to explain to them about the N.S. etiquette of no drinks on the dancefloor. This has alway's been appreciated once we explain WHY. The thing is with the younger kids is they seem to know all the words to most of the Motown and reggae songs and you can see them singing along to them. No they don't dance our style YET but give them time.Not too sure about any of them becomong collectors / deejays but as long as they continue to turn up and then go and tell their mates just how good the music is, this should ensure the continuance of our scene here. They like the fact there isn't gonna be ' any trouble ' and the girls appreciate the fact it isn't the normal ' meat market ' and they ain't gonna get hit on every time they step onto the floor. Long may it continue cos without them we are surely doomed. T Bone.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!