Fixing Warped 45's

Hill868

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i once did a absolutely knackered copy of will collins on bareback (been left out in the sun)and i mean knackered in fact wrinkled I held it over a electric hob on the oven watched it sart to soften ten laid on the work top and i swear to you i watched it straighten out result was a plays perfect :) copy its still rough but well worth keeping just a one off ive done and I think I was lucky I must have timed it to perfection pure luck as some vinyls will react differently to others I would imagine ,but there was a thread on here some time ago with loads of different methods

atb

dave

Edited by lfcjunkie
Social source share

I've never done it myself but sent it to someone who does it (using an oven technique). Had good success with some, a few came out worse and I wish I hadn't sent them. If I do it again I'm sending it to someone who has a vinyl dewarper machine, as I imagine I would get more consistent results.

Social source share

You need to realize what sort of warp it is first. Heat/Pressure warps where the grooves themselves aren't bent sideways will usually flatten out again fine using the oven method. If it is a straight heat warp where the record hasn't been under pressure & just allowed to warp as it likes then the grooves have usually lost their form (the warped vinyl may look rippled) as well & this sort of warp is not reversable. If you try to play the warped record & the needle jumps straight up then it should be repairable but if it kicks off to the left or right then it's eternally lost. I have had success using the oven method but each oven is different & don't overbake the record, you also need something to offset the height of the label against the grooves so the pressure actually gets to the playing surface. The best rule is to not buy warped in the first place or if you can get it to track with a heavier weight just leave it be.

Social source share

Guest Pure Soul Paul

I was sorting through all my records the other day and one of my warped 45's was stacked right near the bottom of a load...and seemed to have got rid of the warp...stored in a warm/damp toilet it was! no joke....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert