Ton Of Dynamite Original, What Was It Called?

Pete S

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

Pete, an old thread from when you asked the same question a couple of years ago, maybe summat you forgot in there.

and another

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

"Funky 4 Corners" came first, then Funky 8, then Funky 16 etc. It was an early form of line or formation dancing I do believe

there must be a few versions of funky 4 corners.

ruchard marks on tuska the only one I have.

I always assumed archie bell "tighten up" was the track that kickstarted all this but reading between thew lines that came later ?

Social source share

I always assumed archie bell "tighten up" was the track that kickstarted all this but reading between thew lines that came later ?

I'm pretty sure it was the first. I never even realised it came out on Ovide and that the T.S.U. Toranados were the backing band or that Billy Butler co-wrote it! You learn something new everyday......

Ian D :D

Social source share

I'm pretty sure it was the first. I never even realised it came out on Ovide and that the T.S.U. Toranados were the backing band or that Billy Butler co-wrote it! You learn something new everyday......

No Ian, Tighten up" was something different again. It also spurned a lot of answer and copy records. Did you listen to my interview with Cal Thomas (now passed) of the Toranados? You cannot lump all funky records together as starting from one record.......Tighten Up and Funky corners were dance crazes - different ones....

Social source share

No Ian, Tighten up" was something different again. It also spurned a lot of answer and copy records. Did you listen to my interview with Cal Thomas (now passed) of the Toranados? You cannot lump all funky records together as starting from one record.......Tighten Up and Funky corners were dance crazes - different ones....

Steve,

Where is your interview with Cal Thomas as I would like to hear that?

Keith

Social source share

Hi Keith I did it on Soul 24-7 will have to upload the minidisc I have of it.....It's a good listen how they toured round from town to town etc and all about Skipper's Ovide label + their subsequent work.

Hi Steve,

I would love to hear that as I really like The TSU, Did you take any pictures when you were interiewing him as I am sure a lot of peolpe dont know what he looks like and again a very underrated talented man

Keith

Social source share

Mmm. Weird. I think that's a perspective that comes with deeper knowledge Steve. When "Ton Of Dynamite" first reached our ears the most common description was that it was the "Tighten Up" riff with a Northern beat, which is sure sounded like back then. Still does to me actually. Didn't catch the interview Steve but I'll listen if you can dig it out. Oh, and yes, of course I'm aware that there's different types of funky records LOL.....

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I would love to hear that as I really like The TSU, Did you take any pictures when you were interiewing him as I am sure a lot of peolpe dont know what he looks like and again a very underrated talented man

Keith

Hi Keith, it was a phone interview, will try and find it, although it is on minidisc (another "intermediate" media form for the thread "Will there still be records in 50 years" or whatever it's called :lol:). Cal did send me a copy of "Please heart don't break" which we gave out as a prize on the show..... ATB Steve

Social source share

Mmm. Weird. I think that's a perspective that comes with deeper knowledge Steve. When "Ton Of Dynamite" first reached our ears the most common description was that it was the "Tighten Up" riff with a Northern beat, which is sure sounded like back then. Still does to me actually. Didn't catch the interview Steve but I'll listen if you can dig it out. Oh, and yes, of course I'm aware that there's different types of funky records LOL.....

Ian I know you know there are "different types of funky records LOL". Am talking about a different dance craze, the records aren't a million miles apart so probably can probably be categorised as being from the same "genre". Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert