The Biggest Insult On Here

boba

I love how the worst thing you can say to someone on soul source is "your box is full of pressings". It's somehow ten times worse than insulting someone's mother. I can't believe I just read a thread that was like "you have pressings!" "NO YOU have pressings!"

Also, in Chicago, there is a new Cirque du Soleil show called "ovo" with billboards and TV ads. I laugh and think of soul source every time I see it.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I cringe when I hear people say 'OVO', don't ask me why, It seems to be a very popular phrase with those who take it all a little bit to seriously...yaaaaawwwwwnnnn.

Ste.

Social source share

I cringe when I hear people say 'OVO', don't ask me why, It seems to be a very popular phrase with those who take it all a little bit to seriously...yaaaaawwwwwnnnn.

Ste.

So when people say it out loud do they say "oh-voh" or do they say "oh-vee-oh'?

Social source share

I love how the worst thing you can say to someone on soul source is "your box is full of pressings". It's somehow ten times worse than insulting someone's mother. I can't believe I just read a thread that was like "you have pressings!" "NO YOU have pressings!"

Also, in Chicago, there is a new Cirque du Soleil show called "ovo" with billboards and TV ads. I laugh and think of soul source every time I see it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

re. OVO: sounds like a disease, like "i just go diagnosed with OVO"

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

It starts with you getting OVO and after a while you develop into a full blown DJ.

...or a full blown bore!

'Oh i couldn't possibly attend unless it's OVO darling, what would people think of me?' :D

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I can understand why the scene is built around original vinyl etc but i just hate those who stand on their petty little soap boxes and actually get really nasty about it...odd when you think about it, wonder what a psychiatrist would make of it ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Suppose the difference is if you are serious about record collecting, no big deal you either want the real thing or you don't, funny how the pressing buyers seem to assume the collectors of originals are bores....

Brett...

Social source share

I would imagine (from my experience) that all the "top" DJs and collectors will have had at some time "pressings" in their collection. :yes:

(If I should disappear from the face of the earth then you'll know that the Soul Police have been round to see me) :(

Social source share

So when people say it out loud do they say "oh-voh" or do they say "oh-vee-oh'?

With the numerous threads on the OVO debate, I never really thought about its pronounciation and have always been of the opinion its "oh-vee-oh".

Nice to see there could be another layer for conflict when discussing OVO..... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I would imagine (from my experience) that all the "top" DJs and collectors will have had at some time "pressings" in their collection. :yes:

(If I should disappear from the face of the earth then you'll know that the Soul Police have been round to see me) :(

I buy originals as my bank statements, overdraft and credit card bills will confirm (!), however i buy the odd re-issue as countless people do ( some won't admit to that of course!) as i'm not in a position where spending thousands on a single record is possible or even something i would wish to do, i bought the recent Cosmos Universal Band re-issue for example, i'm not a regular DJ but i occasionally promote nights and get a few invites here and there and when i do i leave the few re-issues i have at home. Loads of DJ's play or have played re-issues out, i know of somebody that does it all the time, alongside very well known DJ's too, and he keeps getting the invites to play again which is something i'm still trying to work out, i also know of somebody who was asked to play abroad, all expenses paid etc and he didn't know there was a camera behind him and he was visible on a large TV screen pulling re-issues out of his box, it's fair to say the promoters were slightly pissed of with him but despite this he still gets the invites to DJ abroad etc fairly regularly...it's a strange old scene.

OVO still sounds stupid though!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Steve I recall a guy playing Lou Pride on a bootleg in Manchester some years back....LOL

I certainly did, a number of years ago now, and will you ever let me live that down - NO! :D (quite rightly i guess!)

I did it, and i know for sure LOADS of other people have made the same mistake, how many will admit it though, thats the question!!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

In truth, I agree, it is frustrating not been able to afford everything we would like, but this is the reality of collecting rare records, some are very expensive, ive learned to be happy with my lot. Atb Brett

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

In truth, I agree, it is frustrating not been able to afford everything we would like, but this is the reality of collecting rare records, some are very expensive, ive learned to be happy with my lot. Atb Brett

My limit is the low hundreds at most, but like most of us on here i have a life too so you need a balance, and there is only so much money to go around etc etc

Ste.:thumbsup:

Social source share

I certainly did, a number of years ago now, and will you ever let me live that down - NO! :D (quite rightly i guess!)

I did it, and i know for sure LOADS of other people have made the same mistake, how many will admit it though, thats the question!!

Ste.

I guess its the venue that counts aint it... Some places don't mind if its a bootleggers wet dream and others would like to see/ hear the real thing....

As long as we know what venue does what we can make our choices...

I like to hear and see the real thing if at all possible but have been caught in satans den on the odd time in my life...

As long as we say sorry " sorry lord, i have sinned but have seen the light now, you can still dwell in the house of soul...

Peace and love...

Social source share

Always makes me a bit suspicious when I see OVO anywhere, primarily because I take it for granted (naivety on my part perhaps) that anyone charging folk to get into a venue and /or playing records - especially if they are taking money for doing so - does it right.

Naturally enough, anyone buying / collecting will go with what they can get hold of, afford etc, be that reissues, CDs or whatever. Still got a few myself and started collecting down that route, using bloody dinner money, as many people did I guess. Good on em.

Makes me chuckle and ever so slightly p*ssed though when folk come and have a nosey to see if you're playing 'proper' records; now that is an insult! WTF would you not be? Personally, I wouldn't have the brass neck and anyone that does so knowingly is an absolute cad and a bounder and totally misses the point. All IMHO of course.

Coat got ... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I guess its the venue that counts aint it... Some places don't mind if its a bootleggers wet dream and others would like to see/ hear the real thing....

As long as we know what venue does what we can make our choices...

I like to hear and see the real thing if at all possible but have been caught in satans den on the odd time in my life...

As long as we say sorry " sorry lord, i have sinned but have seen the light now, you can still dwell in the house of soul...

Peace and love...

This is great, it's like Alcoholics Anonymous, 'My name is Ste and i played a re-issue'

Come on, lets have a few more confessions, i know quite a few people locally and further afield, bet they won't confess on here though! :D

Ste.

Social source share

This is great, it's like Alcoholics Anonymous, 'My name is Ste and i played a re-issue'

Come on, lets have a few more confessions, i know quite a few people locally and further afield, bet they won't confess on here though! :D

Ste.

Lets not bother with original vinyl anymore.Buying it,selling it.Its laughable.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Like most when 16 I got a few boots, didn't have any guidance, but learned quick by attending nighters talking with the older guys at record bars, no shame in it, and nothing wrong whatsoever with legitmate reissues, but when you have a few years behind you (well in my case) i only wanted the real deal, part of the collector ethos, I love boring people to death about cat numbers, variations on italics, different inks on labels etc... My name is Brett and I'm a recovering anorak....

Social source share

way back in the early 70s I used to collect flat black plastic discs because the sounds they produced really moved me and became obsessed by this and I didnt really have a clue being a callow niave youth what was, and what was not original but didnt give a fook as long as they produced the desired sound , this all ceased when the prices started to rocket and no way was I prepared to pay more than 30 bob for a record, so I started collectin scooters lambrettas , vespas you name it , but then the missus put her foot down and said no more, so I turned my attentions to locomotive nameplates , expensive yes but these are fairly unique and usually not more than two of each type are ever produced , but apart from polishin them what else could I do with em, anyway in the end I flogged em all (5) and made a tidy profit, have still got 3 scooters and not only can I polish these I ride em as well,

as for the black plastic discs lost most to divorce and gave rest away , still love the music though and go to soul do,s , w/enders but prefer to listen and shuffle to the music and dont really care much about the ovo thing,

have loads of shiny silver smaller plastic dics though and a laptop full to burstin wi great sounds and it hasnt really cost me much,

am I doing this wrong

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I didn't see the thread where Bob mentioned the insults over pressings, but I've sat many a time in clubs, pubs and debated the boots v originals topic, all good fun, no malice, I find it a shame that people would genuinely fall out over such a thing ! The very nature of any forum is debate, I believe its better not to fall into the trap of a full blown argument, it happens but I guess that's life, folks have different emotions etc.

Social source share

Your name is Brett and you aint recovering, there is no hope for you and your kind... :lol:

My name is Steve, i have sinned in the past... Like Brett i took the devils coin when young and wet behind the ears..

Now the playing off boots on the decks at home feels like getting caught by your partner in a suspenders and knickers, " sorry love, i did like it a little bit but i did not get moist"

I too am a little naive at times and always expect real records if i paid into an event, if honest would even like real records at a picnic or a funeral but can make the odd exception..

A good freind wanted a few tunes for his wedding ceremony, we could have played them off the devils little silver discs but we got a set of decks and played the real vinyl, the lord looked down and place was filled with sunshine..

I and others have sinned in laters years too, i played 3 tunes off a cd for my wedding ceremony blush.gif but they were recorded from original vinyl innocent.gif ... No person came to any harm and we went from that place to a big room with dancefloor and many guests and did it for real..

peace love and O veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee O

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

I didn't see the thread where Bob mentioned the insults over pressings, but I've sat many a time in clubs, pubs and debated the boots v originals topic, all good fun, no malice, I find it a shame that people would genuinely fall out over such a thing ! The very nature of any forum is debate, I believe its better not to fall into the trap of a full blown argument, it happens but I guess that's life, folks have different emotions etc.

Good post mate, some heart felt points.. :hatsoff2:

But.....

Different emotions.. Can a person with iffy records have real emotion?????? i know folk who would ask that question :lol:

As you say, its not something to get too worked up over, but lord we do at times...

This tells us we are human and not machines..

praise the lord...

Social source share

Ok, I admit it - I've done it too! :(

I can't remember the name of the record (Unlike me!) but it was an 'Impossible to get on original' item (Blue label with four records on a single - Bargain!) If anybody can name it from that I could confirm what it was, it was something like 'I Have No Choice' but not that.

Anyway, naively I thought at least we all get to hear it....Unfortunately it jumped (Just two or four times lol) and as the record finished one of my 'Elders' - Mr Tony Parker casually whispered in my ear "That's why we don't play pressings Len"...I was very young at the time but even now all these years later his 'Wise' words are still echoing in my head! lol (Actually no 'lol' - I'm serious!):huh:

'O.V.O' shouldn't be an issue and as soon as it is made an issue i.e. - People harping on and on about it, that's when it sounds ridiculous.

I know who coined the phrase though....None other than our Winston! - That's a fact as I remember commenting on it when he first said it. Someone may be able to find the 'Original' thread where he first said it (Let me know how you get on!)

At the time I thought what genius though Winston...:thumbsup:

'Dave Goddin - 'Northern Soul'

'Winston Heath - 'O.V.O'

At least you'll be remembered mate!:D

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Ok, I admit it - I've done it too! :(

I can't remember the name of the record (Unlike me!) but it was an 'Impossible to get on original' item (Blue label with four records on a single - Bargain!) If anybody can name it from that I could confirm what it was, it was something like 'I Have No Choice' but not that.

Anyway, naively I thought at least we all get to hear it....Unfortunately it jumped (Just two or four times lol) and as the record finished one of my 'Elders' - Mr Tony Parker casually whispered in my ear "That's why we don't play pressings Len"...I was very young at the time but even now all these years later his 'Wise' words are still echoing in my head! lol (Actually no 'lol' - I'm serious!):huh:

'O.V.O' shouldn't be an issue and as soon as it is made an issue i.e. - People harping on and on about it, that's when it sounds ridiculous.

I know who coined the phrase though....None other than our Winston! - That's a fact as I remember commenting on it when he first said it. Someone may be able to find the 'Original' thread where he first said it (Let me know how you get on!)

At the time I thought what genius though Winston...:thumbsup:

'Dave Goddin - 'Northern Soul'

'Winston Heath - 'O.V.O'

At least you'll be remembered mate!:D

All the best,

Len.

If it can be found and don't ask me to cos I'm rubbish at it, I would ask that it's OTO original thread only.......:) I'll also add I don't remember the incident Len, so won't lay claim to it :)

Social source share

If it can be found and don't ask me to cos I'm rubbish at it, I would ask that it's OTO original thread only.......:) I'll also add I don't remember the incident Len, so won't lay claim to it :)

Don't you be so modest Winston! - Right, I'll have to find it - Leave it with me! :yes:

Len.

Social source share

its only the same with other collecting or hobby groups..ive collected a fair bit of diverse stuff, from Northern, military, vintage vehicles, vintage clothing etc..and there are always the purist, take it too far types..with northern soul (and its offshoots ) most everyone has heard all the classics, whether played on the original or not..so its hard to impress as it was in the old days, when if you managed to aquire a copy of anything that hadn't been pressed, it was special.I would rather a dj play underplayed/largely forgotten/never really made sides than familiar classics on ovo!! wow that looks weird! but thereis a veritable army of chin rubbers who get excited over mines a demo, or first matrix, or upside down or reversed matrix..who gives a f***. Its not the same anymore and never will be...

Social source share

I love how the worst thing you can say to someone on soul source is "your box is full of pressings".

Worst thing? Hmm pretty grim, though I had one levelled at me recently that I think tops that ....

in reality he has no deep abiding interest in, or love of, contemporary soul. Or possibly of soul music in general?

Social source share

Ste.

I played a pressing of Marv Johnson because my original was so f***ed up, does that count ? :lol: Forgive me father for I have sinned........

post-4408-0-56060600-1311087927_thumb.jp

Social source share

I once played a set off some tatty old cds at soul in the sun and they clapped ,

It made me feel suicidal and couldnt live with myself ,

but r angie talked me round , she said your no dj, but you know your music,anyway she said she didnt want me to turn into a superstar dj playin monster awsome sounds like they do now :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

its only the same with other collecting or hobby groups..ive collected a fair bit of diverse stuff, from Northern, military, vintage vehicles, vintage clothing etc..and there are always the purist, take it too far types..with northern soul (and its offshoots ) most everyone has heard all the classics, whether played on the original or not..so its hard to impress as it was in the old days, when if you managed to aquire a copy of anything that hadn't been pressed, it was special.I would rather a dj play underplayed/largely forgotten/never really made sides than familiar classics on ovo!! wow that looks weird! but thereis a veritable army of chin rubbers who get excited over mines a demo, or first matrix, or upside down or reversed matrix..who gives a f***. Its not the same anymore and never will be...

a hell of a lot of people

Social source share

yer dont happen to have a willies jeep going spare do you

would love one of these :hatsoff2:

Social source share