Cee Lo Green V Funky Newies

Simsy

It was me who played Black Aces Of Soul at the 100 club which seems to have so deeply upset Ian. I would have hoped he would of been nice enough to tell me personally if my playlist had affected him so much he had to leave. Whilst I don't agree that the particular 45 he has decided to rail against has no soul content I can appreciate its not everyone cup of tea. I've always thought that with such quality DJs as Keith, Ady and Mick playing great mid tempo soul records there would of been room for a few more interesting and left field records, and also being that the club claims to be supposed to be supplying the most recent trends musically on the soul scene (as well as classics) we would of been a bit more open minded. Also, we are talking about a grand total of about 6 records in a total of 8 hours of SOUL music, which i don't think is a night ruiner even you seriously detest the records concerned. I did note that quite a few people seemed to enjoy the 45 and other similar ones that all of the DJs played.

I guess you can't please all the people all of the time but to suggest Cee Lo Green is the answer musically beggars belief in my humble opinion. Each to their own I guess??

As ever though, if you are unsure of the current DJ roster at the venue let Ady know he is always open to long standing members comments.

Best regards,

J

Mick H was playing as we left the 100 mate. We'd done the old "see what he plays next" for 3 or 4 records and then decided to split.

I'll be honest, it was your 'Wall' I went to for that funk track and I did give it a listen. Again being honest, it's exactly the sort of thing that isn't my cup of tea. Primarily because the dance beat is not a soul beat - even modern has a better beat (to dance to) than funk imo.

I appreciate there a goodly number of dj's (I hold in high esteem), Dave Abbott, Karl Herd and yourself amongst them that are playing newer funkier discoveries. I understand why, I accept the sense in the action, but it does not necessarily mean I like it.

Don't take it personally mate, it wasn't a slight on you. Even if a set or part of a set wasn't to my taste, I wouldn't come up and say "your sets shit mate, we're off" lol. No this whole thread is borne out of a comment on facebook that said it's a shame imo that there are more soulful commercial acts in the charts than some of the newer stuff being broken at places where I like to go to dance.

Social source share

I cannot for one minute believe some are saying they would prefer CLG to the Black Aces Of Spade at a NS all-nighter/soul night. If CLG was played I would probably walk out or stone the DJ no place for it on the Northern Scene IMO, Modern Scene a different matter but then again IMO if that is what the Modern Scene is reduced to it must be struggling for some quality independent soul music.

The Black Aces Of Soul might not be to everyone's taste but it simply supplying dancers with a type of sound thats currently en vogue/in demand. I would have thought out of all the venues the 100 Club would be a bit more receptive to something different and the current indemand sound? Always used to be.

If you and Cunnie were playing at the Benn Hall say, and you were in the main room cue-ing up Black Aces and Cunnie was cue-ing up the 'I Want You' edit in the freestlyle room, I'd head there like a shot, end of story. Head for the soul, stone me!

Ian, I'm going to spank you with a few Funky Windmills the next time I see you! :ohmy:

I deserve that after the hooter grabbing gaffe! laugh.gif

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

If you and Cunnie were playing at the Benn Hall say, and you were in the main room cue-ing up Black Aces and Cunnie was cue-ing up the 'I Want You' edit in the freestlyle room, I'd head there like a shot, end of story. Head for the soul, stone me!

I deserve that after the hooter grabbing gaffe! laugh.gif

But Ian, the 100 Club is not Benn Hall main room. I am DJing at Rugby on 10th September (8pm to 6am £10 before 9pm; £12 after 9pm Two Room Allniter DJ's Dave Abbott and some others CV21 2LQ. Plug. Plug) for 2 spots in the main room. I will be playing 95% northern - whether oldies, newies, rares etc. the other 5% may be funky edged (hate that term) but only if I think they will fit in with the room.

If i was doing the 100 Club, i would probably go 50/50.

At Bidds Allniter (check the press) the other month across 2 sets i went about 80% funky.

Gloucester upstairs Ton of Dynamite Room (next one Friday 2 September; 9pm to 6am Dave Abbott DJ's £10 on the door) i did probably 100% funky. Downstairs in the Gloucester main room it was 100% northern.

Apart from doing some blatant plugging; what I am trying to say is that the room does in many occaisions dictate the type of music - so going back to your comment, I don't think Joel would play that funk number in the main room - there is a second room for that kinda stuff.

hope that all makes sense? i shall be signing autographs in the foyer.

Social source share

But Ian, the 100 Club is not Benn Hall main room. I am DJing at Rugby on 10th September (8pm to 6am £10 before 9pm; £12 after 9pm Two Room Allniter DJ's Dave Abbott and some others CV21 2LQ. Plug. Plug) for 2 spots in the main room. I will be playing 95% northern - whether oldies, newies, rares etc. the other 5% may be funky edged (hate that term) but only if I think they will fit in with the room.

At Bidds Allniter (check the press) the other month across 2 sets i went about 80% funky.

Gloucester upstairs Ton of Dynamite Room (next one Friday 2 September; 9pm to 6am Dave Abbott DJ's £10 on the door) i did probably 100% funky. Downstairs in the Gloucester main room it was 100% northern.

Apart from doing some blatant plugging; what I am trying to say is that the room does in many occaisions dictate the type of music - so going back to your comment, I don't think Joel would play that funk number in the main room - there is a second room for that kinda stuff.

so where is it you've played Dave? And at Rugby in Sept is the £10 your fee?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well Ian. Martin did say on facebook, you'd have to be brave to talk about this on here. And he was right.

Hats off to you fella. I see where you are coming from. Sometimes, as we all know, things written on an internet forum dont translate as they would over a coffee in the cafe over the road from the 100 club.

Social source share

Well Ian. Martin did say on facebook, you'd have to be brave to talk about this on here. And he was right.

Hats off to you fella. I see where you are coming from. Sometimes, as we all know, things written on an internet forum dont translate as they would over a coffee in the cafe over the road from the 100 club.

I'd also say well done for showing so much restraint, under extreme and utterly needless provocation. Never seen so much petty arguing going on this forum as there has been lately.

Social source share

Dont forget when you played at Ghetto soul Dave ( the most left field club in the south :yes: ) you play 100% funk not edge soul there :thumbsup:

Edited by tim smithers
Social source share

see everyone - funky edged Dj's have groupies too...(I hope me Mum can make it)

I've read Karen's page, she creams her pants as soon as someone touches a wah wah pedal :)

Gotta say I'm more convinced by the funk argument at the moment, where's my CDs Dabott :)

x

Social source share

My wah wah peddle's a sturdy one Winnie... for me, I've found something that's vibrant and makes me want to jump up and down with a chicken wing flap or two :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'd also say well done for showing so much restraint, under extreme and utterly needless provocation. Never seen so much petty arguing going on this forum as there has been lately.

what provocation? All people have done is express an opinion, from both sides.

Social source share

My wah wah peddle's a sturdy one Winnie... for me, I've found something that's vibrant and makes me want to jump up and down with a chicken wing flap or two :thumbsup:

I'm glad you're wah wah is intact :) Dave's played me a few bits and pieces and I've liked all of them. I can see what Ian's talking about in the traditional sense of the word, but I'm also liking the stuff Dave's been treating me too. I liked that black aces record, except for the harmonies, just didn't think they were strong enough, but that's only my opinion :thumbsup:

Social source share

But none of this actually means anything outside of this forum.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Apologies was slightly perturbed that people might be leaving due to the records I was playing (and nursing a bit of a hangover this afternoon) - that one 45 struck a nerve as well as I hadn' t really ever envisaged playing it at the 100. The problem is those sounds are the ones doing it for me right now and you go in with the intention to play to the crowd but sometimes your own desire to hear certain things out takes over. Its a balancing act and hard to get right sometimes.

Having said that BAOS was also a record i had a number of people ask me to play prior to the night, but i can accept it is a the funk equivalent of say playing a little walter record would of been back in the northern main room r&b era of the late 90s early 2000s.

Obviously the main aim is to keep the punters happy - and especially long standing 100 clubbers such as yourself.

See you soon for a jar or two and chinwag!

Ta ra!

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

I bought one Ce Lo Green cd on the back of his voice sounding interesting and that further (better) tracks may lurk inside, much the same as I did when Gnarls Barkley (Crazy) popped up.........:yes: Plan B also just came to mind..........etc

To me its good to try and leave the ears open and be receptive to new sounds................many don't progress and I haven't been back to either cd (as other vinyl 45s have been more productive to my tastes (of the moment)...................

With regard to "funky newies" I think this was a path pioneered by Karl Heard (least in more recent times); and having heard him a couple of times and a few people there after playing such sets I'd say that the key to those sets is taking the audience with you......

A set that blends the right mix of Rare / Northern Soul with funky edged sounds can work superbly and whilst a good tune is a good tune (to the listener) regardless - a whole set of "left fielders" can leave the audience cold as they can't "hook" into it............

Edited by RareMusicDirect
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

You are right Dave, the 100 Club is not the Benn Hall. Although most of the 100 Jocks (save for Butch) including Ady have played there. Then we enter the realms of southern northern soul v northern northern soul - remember that thread? I have it somewhere..

I've got a couple of hour spots at the September Rugby, in the freestyle room. If we don't clash, I'll pop in and you can teach me how to dance funk!

Seriously though, thanks for the cd. I'm not closed minded, if they're good they're good! Just gotta get over this dancing hump! Camaraderie, records, beer, John Weston ... These are some of the reasons we go, though dancing... Dancing is key!

Social source share

He did indeed say that and he was right. Yet he knew there would be mileage in it and he was right there as well.

I've certainly enjoyed it, had a couple of calls and pm's over the weekend all civil and well mannered which I am pleased about. I do think also it is great that we can stop and stoke chins on the subject of northern newie spin offerings balanced against something possibly more soulful and or danceable available commercially elsewhere.

Social source share

"With regard to "funky newies" I think this was a path pioneered by Karl Heard (least in more recent times); and having heard him a couple of times and a few people there after playing such sets I'd say that the key to those sets is taking the audience with you......

A set that blends the right mix of Rare / Northern Soul with funky edged sounds can work superbly and whilst a good tune is a good tune (to the listener) regardless - a whole set of "left fielders" can leave the audience cold as they can't "hook" into it............"

I think that pretty much all of the funkier sounds played at the 100 club so far have not been an issue with people - certainly 45s played by Butch such as Richard Marks, Charlene Soul Seranders ect have always gone down superbly. Obviously there is the odd sound that alienates people a little too far - i wouldn't of thought that BAOS was any funkier than say Earl English or the Dynamic Corvettes, both of which have been played regularly by DJs like Karl. The idea of playing a set of all newies is never conducive to a more conservative dancefloor (although there are plenty of places open minded enough for this to happen) , that goes without saying, but that wasn't the case here. I think this is more a case of one particular 45 getting someones goat. I should also point out that luckily the crowd did dance to the 45 in question!!

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

I bought one Ce Lo Green cd on the back of his voice sounding interesting and that further (better) tracks may lurk inside, much the same as I did when Gnarls Barkley (Crazy) popped up.........:yes: Plan B also just came to mind..........etc

To me its good to try and leave the ears open and be receptive to new sounds................many don't progress and I haven't been back to either cd (as other vinyl 45s have been more productive to my tastes (of the moment)...................

With regard to "funky newies" I think this was a path pioneered by Karl Heard (least in more recent times); and having heard him a couple of times and a few people there after playing such sets I'd say that the key to those sets is taking the audience with you......

A set that blends the right mix of Rare / Northern Soul with funky edged sounds can work superbly and whilst a good tune is a good tune (to the listener) regardless - a whole set of "left fielders" can leave the audience cold as they can't "hook" into it............

That's a well measured fair assessment mate. thumbsup.gif

Tell me, were there other tracks of interest on those cd's?

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Yeah whatever Chalky. Funny how you always eeem to miss these things.

I haven't missed anything Pete. You have played your part in the so called petty arguments of late, I can see what you are doing and it is plainly obvious that comments on this topic have spilled over from a previous topic. Your "off topic" assessments of what is happening don't help either. If you or anyone else has a problem with a post or with the way someone else is behaving towards someone else then use the report button, which you are not averse to using and let the mod team deal with it.

Now everyone should leave the personal posts off the topic, cut the off topic, not just on this topic but all topics and stick to the topic in question.

Social source share

Ce Lo Green has nothing to do with Northern Soul at the end of the day. I agree tracks like the Black Aces Of Soul have little to do with Northern Soul in the traditional sense but the 100 Club is a traditional all-nighter, it has a reputation as a progressive all-nighter and one for keeping up with the trends of the day. Butch and others have played tracks on the funk side for years with little complaint. It's all a question of balance. Much of the Funky stiff isn't what I want to listen to but full marks to Joel for trying it and I'm sure he has the brains to realise a 45 doesn't work then to try something else.

As for Ce Lo Green, I wouldn't want to hear it at any Northern Soul venue, he might have a soulful voice but by and large his records are pop, plain and simple. Why some feel the need to resort to chart hits is beyond me when there is so much quality rare/independent soul ignored and forgotten.

Social source share

Ce Lo Green has nothing to do with Northern Soul at the end of the day. I agree tracks like the Black Aces Of Soul have little to do with Northern Soul in the traditional sense but the 100 Club is a traditional all-nighter, it has a reputation as a progressive all-nighter and one for keeping up with the trends of the day. Butch and others have played tracks on the funk side for years with little complaint. It's all a question of balance. Much of the Funky stiff isn't what I want to listen to but full marks to Joel for trying it and I'm sure he has the brains to realise a 45 doesn't work then to try something else.

As for Ce Lo Green, I wouldn't want to hear it at any Northern Soul venue, he might have a soulful voice but by and large his records are pop, plain and simple. Why some feel the need to resort to chart hits is beyond me when there is so much quality rare/independent soul ignored and forgotten.

Chalky leaving aside Cee Lo for a moment, if the soul scene is claiming to be a progressive one, then all avenues have to be explored. A record doesn't become unsoulful because it has charted, that creates boundaries, and if the stalwarts on the scene truly see it as a forward thinking movement then the only criteria should be quality, not era.

Social source share

It was me who played Black Aces Of Soul at the 100 club which seems to have so deeply upset Ian. Best regards,

J

Good for you Joel. As a DJ always play what you believe in. You don't need to justify what you play to anyone. :thumbsup: The scene is a very broad church, and not all music is ever going to be to everyone's taste. BAOS has a very strong rhythm, and right for todays allnighter scene. Mind you I wouldn't play it at a crossover night :lol: Funny back in the 70s some of the Tommy Navaro stuff didn't get a look in (sorry Ian). Conversely some funky edged stuff was played back then too and massive - as I am sure Daddy "Ian" Dewdrop can remind us all - Summer in the Parks, Lovelites, Flaming Emeralds etc. to think of three obvious headbanging examples of the genre.

Peace, Love and Happiness.

Steve

Social source share

Chalky leaving aside Cee Lo for a moment, if the soul scene is claiming to be a progressive one, then all avenues have to be explored. A record doesn't become unsoulful because it has charted, that creates boundaries, and if the stalwarts on the scene truly see it as a forward thinking movement then the only criteria should be quality, not era.

I'd go to a night club if I wanted to hear chart records. There is plenty of independent and obscure soul from the 60's and 70's to keep the Northern Scene happy. I don't want to hear retro sounding acts either, plenty of the real stuff out there. As I said earlier, Modern Scene a different matter but if they are reduced to chart records then the Modern Scene is in the sh*t.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree with Winnie there Chalks. End of the day if remixed Cee Lo numbers have been played, then it is to do with ns.

Interesting debate this. "All About The Soul'.. Don't think anyone has said CLG has not got soul and whilst there may be a place for funk it's interesting to hear the pro's & cons of each.

Own personal take at this stage wouldn't be more CLG or Funk, but northern underplayed's, b sides and if poss new 60's soul discoveries. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think the point Chalky's making is that we don't have to settle for third rate soul music on the northern scene, because there is so much non-soul out there that does the job. To me, being progressive doesn't mean listening to new soul no matter how crap it is and just because it has a soul tag. Personally i'd rather dance to a banging garage sound or uptempo funky sound in a northern room any day of the week than an insipid soul artist like Cee Lo Green.

You're right Winnie, the only criteria should be quality... and not restricted by genre either

Social source share

Agree with Winnie there Chalks. End of the day if remixed Cee Lo numbers have been played, then it is to do with ns.

Interesting debate this. "All About The Soul'.. Don't think anyone has said CLG has not got soul and whilst there may be a place for funk it's interesting to hear the pro's & cons of each.

Own personal take at this stage wouldn't be more CLG or Funk, but northern underplayed's, b sides and if poss new 60's soul discoveries. thumbsup.gif

It might have been played on the NS scene but IMO it has little to do with the NS scene, simply a DJ with little or no imagination and no inclination to search the many 100's even 1000's of lesser known forgotten underplayed 60's and 70's soul records. Like I said I wouldn't want to hear CLG at any venue Iw as to attend. I'd like to know any promoter who is promoting the playing of records like this on the NS scene so I can avoid the promotion. I'll stick to and choose a venue that plays NS, be them oldies, rare, underplayed or forgotten, 60's or 70's.

Social source share

I'd go to a night club if I wanted to hear chart records. There is plenty of independent and obscure soul from the 60's and 70's to keep the Northern Scene happy. I don't want to hear retro sounding acts either, plenty of the real stuff out there. As I said earlier, Modern Scene a different matter but if they are reduced to chart records then the Modern Scene is in the sh*t.

Chalks you're missing the point, you cannot set boundaries if you want to maintain a progressive environment and I don't think its a realistic argument to rubbish something just because it charted. When you set limits, all those underplayed tunes will eventually have been played, granted that will take some time, but that is the reality eventually, then the scene stagnates and just becomes a part of the 'retro' scene you're hoping to avoid. :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It might have been played on the NS scene but IMO it has little to do with the NS scene, simply a DJ with little or no imagination and no inclination to search the many 100's even 1000's of lesser known forgotten underplayed 60's and 70's soul records. Like I said I wouldn't want to hear CLG at any venue Iw as to attend. I'd like to know any promoter who is promoting the playing of records like this on the NS scene so I can avoid the promotion. I'll stick to and choose a venue that plays NS, be them oldies, rare, underplayed or forgotten, 60's or 70's.

Sam was playing DJ Genesis, it was played all over the scene, as was Angie Stone? They were pretty impossible to avoid at the time, and I'd be amazed if we weren't in the same room at some time or other when both were played? :)

Social source share

simply a DJ with little or no imagination and no inclination to search the many 100's even 1000's of lesser known forgotten underplayed 60's and 70's soul records.

For me the essence of the debate both on this and the thread re. money needed to become a 'top' dj. Talking to a well known record dealer recently he bemoaned the fact that many are chasing the same records, have very little interest in the sheer amount of 45s available and ignored based purely on the facts of either being cheap or not 'hot box' 45s etc.

There seems to be so many people who bang on about supporting under played , cheap etc 45s but see very little evidence certainly in playlists. I don't get out and about tthese days and I'm happy for folk to point me in the direction of those nights and dj's who do champion the under played and cheap 45s we all profess to support.

It worries me that there are folk who choose to support a tune from Cee Lo Green rather than say a nice £10 45 which should get an airing!

I can see Cee Lo getting airings at a true modern event - that's fine with me as he is at the top of the pile - After all Motown was essentially a pop label in the 60s wasn't it?

Social source share

Chalks you're missing the point, you cannot set boundaries if you want to maintain a progressive environment and I don't think its a realistic argument to rubbish something just because it charted. When you set limits, all those underplayed tunes will eventually have been played, granted that will take some time, but that is the reality eventually, then the scene stagnates and just becomes a part of the 'retro' scene you're hoping to avoid. :thumbsup:

But there are boundaries on the Northern Soul Scene whether we like to admit it or not and they are more often than not 60's or for more progressive 60's 70's maybe some 80's, after that it is the Modern Scene that takes up the mantle.

There are 1000's of records that have had little exposure on the Northern Scene Win and I reckon I'll be in a box before the Northern Soul Scene got through that lot.

The record fair there was box after box of obscure rare records that many had never seen nor heard and have never been played on the scene to keep the NS scene progressing. There is no need for this scene to resort to insipid chart acts. I for one wish to have no part of it if it does.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I could see Cee Lo Green being played at Yate, and possibly even Stafford.

I remember Lips Inc - Funky Town being played on import (Possibly Dave Thorley??) Also at Stafford tracks like Windjammer - Tossin and turnin' made the lower reaches of the charts and Adam or Robin used to spin it there. Along with current album tracks by Marlena Shaw, Bobby Womack and sucessful acts like that.

I can see why CLG shouldnt be played. There are plenty of reasons why he shouldnt have his stuff played. But what if someone turns up an acetate of his that hasnt been released, and is as good as some of his released stuff? Its not like Marvin Gaye's sucess stopped Lonely Lover being very popular.

The above scenario would fit into the Northern Soul's traditional style of championing unkown soul. And I've also shown that being a sucessful artist hasnt stopped tracks by Paul Anka from being loved.

Social source share

It worries me that there are folk who choose to support a tune from Cee Lo Green rather than say a nice £10 45 which should get an airing!

It worries me too. I would rather hear a proper northern newie (regardless of value) any day of the week.

Social source share

For me the essence of the debate both on this and the thread re. money needed to become a 'top' dj. Talking to a well known record dealer recently he bemoaned the fact that many are chasing the same records, have very little interest in the sheer amount of 45s available and ignored based purely on the facts of either being cheap or not 'hot box' 45s etc.

There seems to be so many people who bang on about supporting under played , cheap etc 45s but see very little evidence certainly in playlists. I don't get out and about tthese days and I'm happy for folk to point me in the direction of those nights and dj's who do champion the under played and cheap 45s we all profess to support.

I can see Cee Lo getting airings at a true modern event - that's fine with me as he is at the top of the pile - After all Motown was essentially a pop label in the 60s wasn't it?

Are people championing Cee Lo, or just using him as an example, or a preference to funk. I take Chalky's point and your own re: underplayed records, it's an undeniable truth bit if ever the scene is to truly get to a definition of 'across the board', that's accurate it has to slacken the rope. IMO. It's already been loosened, with funk coming under the umbrella, what's so different about looking at contemporary artists if they have quality? It's generally accepted that Butch and Andy D have great taste, if they heard something 'of today' they liked and felt it fitted, would they not play it?

Social source share

Are people championing Cee Lo, or just using him as an example, or a preference to funk. I take Chalky's point and your own re: underplayed records, it's an undeniable truth bit if ever the scene is to truly get to a definition of 'across the board', that's accurate it has to slacken the rope. IMO. It's already been loosened, with funk coming under the umbrella, what's so different about looking at contemporary artists if they have quality? It's generally accepted that Butch and Andy D have great taste, if they heard something 'of today' they liked and felt it fitted, would they not play it?

Have to agree with your stance mate and Yes (for me at least) CLG serves as perhaps a seldom seen and valid example of superior soul being available commercially. Over and above that, I do like most of his stuff as to my ear, his vocal has soul.

I remember 'Rehab' getting spins at a couple of southern nights a few years back.. ohmy.gif

Social source share

it has to slacken the rope. IMO. It's already been loosened, with funk coming under the umbrella, what's so different about looking at contemporary artists if they have quality? It's generally accepted that Butch and Andy D have great taste, if they heard something 'of today' they liked and felt it fitted, would they not play it?

But a bit of funky stuff has always been under the umbrella Winnie. Another good "wresting analogy" in your reply btw, about slackening the rope. :lol: Do we get points for spotting them in your replies?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Perhaps 'championing' is too a strong a word in this case I agree - As to whether a Butch or Andy D would play something contemporary you'd have to ask them! I wouldn't think it falls in their 'remit' as rare soul dj's? (But then as highlighted with the Dj Genesis played by Soul Sam it kinda rocks my theory)

Agreed that funk or funkier soul has become a part of the scene and why not? We're all supposed to be fans of black music? The scene has always been loose to a degree from the pop sounds of wigan to the inclusion of stuff like 'The Bottle' from GSH. Are we now at a 'matured level 30 or 40 years later where we can draw boundaries to the scene?

I went through a period myself of buying a lot of modern released soul but was from a collectors point of view rather than a dj'ing stance - which in my eyes can be 2 entirely separate stand points. I consider myself a collector of black music rather than a northern soul collector if you get my drift.

Social source share

But a bit of funky stuff has always been under the umbrella Winnie. Another good "wresting analogy" in your reply btw, about slackening the rope. :lol: Do we get points for spotting them in your replies?

You've pinned me there Steve :) I know a bit of funk has crossed the divide, and I actually like it, I'm not arguing against it, all I'm saying is we can't have our cake and eat it. To be taken seriously as a progressive music scene, nothing should be ruled in, or out except on grounds of quality. Whatever happened to all those 'how do we attract new blood to the scene' threads that were so popular all those years ago :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In my view your entirely right Winnie, you gotta have an open mind to have a chance of discovering something...................

I prefer to spend it reviewing 60ts and 70ts records, (and I think this is the jist of Chalky's view) but wouldn't rule out anything in terms of it having a chance - life being as it is, you gotta prioritise, but there will always be the odd one, from whatever genre and period that makes it. It was ever thus in the soul scene and shouldn't stop now (or ever)............should it ?

Social source share

Ok so when did the northern soul scene not play contempory soul from the artist of that time? 1960s well no every thing and evry artist was contempory to that time, 1970s well yes the same also applies alltough we where still looking back to the 60s as well, 1980s well yes again allthough the 80s seem to be the decade of decline for most i can clearly remember dancing and hearing tunes of the day played although not so many. now we get to the 90s which is a time i cannot comment on as i stoped going so we are now in to the 2Ks and there seems to be a smatering of contempory plays of the time all be it that they tend to be retro sounding things so nothings changed, as far as i can see, and some folk think its ok and some not so, again nothings changed So whys everone getting so upset ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!