Cee Lo Green V Funky Newies

Simsy

"NORTHERN SOUL" has thrown up a hell of a lot of records that aren't by definition "soulful"

Another thread for that one me thinks but seriously it originated as a dance scene and fo me ..we've had country singers ..reggae ...rock n roll ....funk and a load more thrust upon the scene in the last 40 yrs ..hence the reason your hearing more "Funkier" sounds at soul do's .

The art is to play records that suit the dance floor ..sadly some mis-interpret and get it oh so wrong ..which is probs why the scene is so fragmented ,watered down and full of dis-illusioned followers :thumbsup:

Well said that man :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cee Lo does have a nice voice. So does Billy Ocean.

Nought wrong with Billy Ocean Boba. I forgave him for being so ridiculous as to sell millions of records when I recently saw him do a spellbinding version of "Suddenly" and saw grown men in the venue start blubbering openly LOL. One of the greatest performances I've ever witnessed actually, I shit thee not........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Nought wrong with Billy Ocean Boba. I forgave him for being so ridiculous as to sell millions of records when I recently saw him do a spellbinding version of "Suddenly" and saw grown men in the venue start blubbering openly LOL. One of the greatest performances I've ever witnessed actually, I shit thee not........

I wasn't making fun of billy ocean, I was just making the point that Cee Lo and Billy Ocean are a much closer comparison that Cee Lo and "funky soul", Cee Lo and "northern soul", Cee Lo and "Modern Soul", etc. Both Cee Lo and Billy Ocean have deep soulful voices and achieved pop success making catchy pop songs. Would all the people who want to hear Cee Lo at their event also want to hear Billy Ocean?

I did think it was funny that Cee Lo was wearing a Misfits shirt for like 2 episodes of the US tv show "the voice" (don't know if you get that over there). I don't think that adds to his "soul singer" credentials though.

Social source share

I wasn't making fun of billy ocean, I was just making the point that Cee Lo and Billy Ocean are a much closer comparison that Cee Lo and "funky soul", Cee Lo and "northern soul", Cee Lo and "Modern Soul", etc. Both Cee Lo and Billy Ocean have deep soulful voices and achieved pop success making catchy pop songs. Would all the people who want to hear Cee Lo at their event also want to hear Billy Ocean?

I did think it was funny that Cee Lo was wearing a Misfits shirt for like 2 episodes of the US tv show "the voice" (don't know if you get that over there). I don't think that adds to his "soul singer" credentials though.

Agreed. It seems that an act which can cross over to a pop audience (often by accident), virtually always condemns them to a fate of none credibility with so-called 'deeper' audiences. Commercial success quite often erradicates them from the equation which is a shame in some cases. It's just one of those things I guess.

It's funny that you brought up Billy Ocean in a Cee-Lo Green thread though, because they have very similar parallels. Billy Ocean started his career with a multi-racial pop band called Scorched Earth who made a record called "On The Run" which I heard in the early 70's and I loved the lead vocalist's voice at the time. In fact, here's a clip:-

And then he did his quasi Northern pastiche which was actually pretty good in a UK Biddu kinda way.....

And here's a clip from a couple of years ago, performing "Suddenly".....

He's a lovely guy. I bumped into him in a McDonalds in Shaftesbury Avenue in the 80's and we had a great conversation over big macs. I have a lot of respect for him.

Cee-Lo's similar in a way. Incredible voice but very unconventional in the way he made it. That's why I always try and stay objective about great voices because quite often the hype can cloud the issue.

Social source share

I'll off you the chance to retract that. Or the opportunity to explain further your knowledge of my love, (or lack of) of soul music contemporary or otherwise!

Why you cannot seem to grasp the essence of this thread I cannot fathom. You do not need to have this dumbed down. However; Isn't it a shame that there is a successful soul artist of that calibre so commercially exposed, whilst some of the newer funkier offerings at our do's are not as SOULFUL..

Get that last bit? Don't ever question my soul credentials again

And in all the confusion, I'm logged in as our lass laugh.gif

So who are your favourite soul acts, outside the Northern world, then, and what are your favourite tracks?

And do you think April Hill or Fred Hammond is the best contemporary artist, or who do you prefer?

Social source share

[quote name='Ian Dewhirst' timestamp='1310856784' post='1606654'

It's funny that you brought up Billy Ocean in a Cee-Lo Green thread though, because they have very similar parallels. Billy Ocean started his career with a multi-racial pop band called Scorched Earth who made a record called "On The Run" which I heard in the early 70's and I loved the lead vocalist's voice at the time. In fact, here's a clip:-

He's a lovely guy. I bumped into him in a McDonalds in Shaftesbury Avenue in the 80's and we had a great conversation over big macs. I have a lot of respect for him.

Social source share

I n danger of getting myself thrown off here, what a pile of pish you talk Ian.

Billy Ocean has F**k all in common with Cee Lo, other than you could make a fortune off both as pop artists.

They're both great voices who have both sold millions of records around the world primarily via the pop market. What's difficult to understand about that?

I'm in this business Jocko. I understand these things. I don't really get the point you're trying to make. Liking Cee-Lo and Billy Ocean for their 'pop' recordings doesn't devalue my love of Soul music. I have broad tastes.

You need to chill out mate.

Social source share

They're both great voices who have both sold millions of records around the world primarily via the pop market. What's difficult to understand about that?

I'm in this business Jocko. I understand these things. I don't really get the point you're trying to make. Liking Cee-Lo and Billy Ocean for their 'pop' recordings doesn't devalue my love of Soul music. I have broad tastes.

You need to chill out mate.

It doesn't absolutely, The point I am making is you judge them on potential sales rather than on artistic value, because it is your business, Sometimes, like the recent EMS debate that is more important to you than any artistic merit in actual soul terms. And they have good voices, but certainly not great, there are hundreds of less commercial artists that piss all over them when it comes to pure talent. Something I still care about.

I am recognising it is your job, and saying if I was lucky enough to have your career, then I may not be as value driven as I am about music.

But I don't, therefore I can judge purely on value judgement, and Cee-Lo is interesting, enough for me to buy the CD, but the fact you think it is the best release of this century highlights why the music business has never been, and never will be, the best judge of our music.

So Ian, I am very chilled now, in the end its all about opinions, but you will never stop me caring about the music I love,

Social source share

I really despair how someone like you at cutting edge of Northern back in the day, admittedly many years ago, just misses the point so much now.

C_Lo is interestingbut there are 1m better acts than him currently if you really want to dig.

Misses what point? Surely everyone's appreciation of music is a personal thing isn't it? Just because I happen to really rate Cee-Lo Green as one of my favourite current vocalists for many different reasons, really shouldn't make an ounce of difference to anyone else should it? To each their own etc, etc.

Different acts touch people in different ways. I just happen to dig Cee-Lo OK? It doesn't make my appreciation of Darrell Banks or Marvin Gaye any less.

Social source share

It doesn't absolutely, The point I am making is you judge them on potential sales rather than on artistic value, because it is your business, Sometimes, like the recent EMS debate that is more important to you than any artistic merit in actual soul terms. And they have good voices, but certainly not great, there are hundreds of less commercial artists that piss all over them when it comes to pure talent. Something I still care about.

I am recognising it is your job, and saying if I was lucky enough to have your career, then I may not be as value driven as I am about music.

But I don't, therefore I can judge purely on value judgement, and Cee-Lo is interesting, enough for me to buy the CD, but the fact you think it is the best release of this century highlights why the music business has never been, and never will be, the best judge of our music.

So Ian, I am very chilled now, in the end its all about opinions, but you will never stop me caring about the music I love,

I don't judge on sales from a personal viewpoint at all Jocko. I merely recognise the reasons why some artists manage to reach a wide audience and other artists don't. That's not to say that any artist who fails to sell records is wrong but I don't think that artists who do manage to reach a huge audience should be chastised for their popularity. It doesn't make 'em bad artists because they sold millions instead of zilch. I would think that most artists set out to reach the widest possible audiience but most of 'em fail for various reasons.

My appreciation of Cee-Lo is because, on the international stage, he has made a cracking album that has touched a worldwide audience and managed to sell millions in the process. F*cking GREAT I say! Thank God the masses are responding to a Soulful voice again. Cee-Lo's success may just make a large percentage of people start digging deeper and find more stuff which I don't see as a bad thing.

Just to clear up a general misconception, the music business doesn't dictate what the public want, it's the other way around mate. The music business would never miss an opportunity to sell more records if it possibly could. As stupid as they are, they never miss an opportunity to sell more records if they can.

Hope yer well by the way! :lol:

Social source share

I n danger of getting myself thrown off here, what a pile of pish you talk Ian.

Billy Ocean has F**k all in common with Cee Lo, other than you could make a fortune off both as pop artists.

I really despair how someone like you at cutting edge of Northern back in the day, admittedly many years ago, just misses the point so much now.

You really do make me glad I am retired, why don't you go on EMS, which is much more relevant to this discussion, and say C-Lo is the best act of this century. I am sorry, but I really wish I had your life in many ways, but I am so glad I don't have your values.

C_Lo is interestingbut there are 1m better acts than him currently if you really want to dig.

Hi Jocko. I made the initial comparison between Ocean and "Lo" because they seem pretty similar to me. They both have deep, soulful voices, both made pop songs (in a very similar style actually) that crossed over to the pop market. It seems you are offended maybe because you think one is more talented than the other (not sure which one)? Or if not, what are the main differences between the two artists that you see? You're writing like it's totally obvious that they are different but it's not obvious to me at least. I'm not saying the same thing as Ian though because I don't think either act is appropriate for a "soul" event as they both are pop. Thanks a lot.

Edited by boba
Social source share

"If Cee Lo Green were a sh*t load less famous, he'd be Northern Soul. Shame as a few of his offerings are, imo vastly superior to some of the emperor's new clothes currently foisted upon us"..

Cee Lo Green is a perfect example of the Emperors new Clothes. Weak voice and crap production...bloody awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjybk4ETGfE

Is Simsy being serious here? Unbelievable....ha!

Edited by paul-s
Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

if cl green were to make a dance record like whole lot of shaking in my heart, would that be ok. lets not forget northern soul is just cherry picking and dosent really exist in the world where the artist and producers lived/ live but i personally would love to see a current artist break through in ns, and i know hes not smokey robinson before i get a rant about his merits as a singer i think the point is current artist and breaking through to ns

Social source share

"If Cee Lo Green were a sh*t load less famous, he'd be Northern Soul. Shame as a few of his offerings are, imo vastly superior to some of the emperor's new clothes currently foisted upon us"..

Cee Lo Green is a perfect example of the Emperors new Clothes. Weak voice and crap production...bloody awful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjybk4ETGfE

That made me smile, I was only saying yesterday I wonder if it would be possible to work American wrestling into a thread, and wallop Cee Lo Green goes all Legion of Doom :) It is a live performance though, his voice is a lot stronger on his recordings, I realise it can be tweaked, but without live performances of some of northern's deities (there are obviousl exceptions) it's difficult to make comparisons IMO.

Social source share

Thank God he doesn't do any funk numbers eh!

Is that an infantile attempt to threaten me? Grow up and move on.

Threaten you? Where the f*** did you get that from???

I think you need to calm down and move on, or at least stop continually getting the wrong end of the stick!

Social source share

So who are your favourite soul acts, outside the Northern world, then, and what are your favourite tracks?

And do you think April Hill or Fred Hammond is the best contemporary artist, or who do you prefer?

Caro Emerald

Social source share

Thank God he doesn't do any funk numbers eh!

Threaten you? Where the f*** did you get that from???

I think you need to calm down and move on, or at least stop continually getting the wrong end of the stick!

I haven't 'continually' got the wrong end of the stick. What was that crap about suffering being at hand if it wasn't a juvenile attempt at a playground-level threat. I've written all I wish to write on this particular topic. If you wish to continue this conversation with me offline I'll send you my phone number and you can ring me to discuss it further if you wish. Clogging up the forum with a spat like this wastes everybody else's time.

Social source share

I haven't 'continually' got the wrong end of the stick. What was that crap about suffering being at hand if it wasn't a juvenile attempt at a playground-level threat. I've written all I wish to write on this particular topic. If you wish to continue this conversation with me offline I'll send you my phone number and you can ring me to discuss it further if you wish. Clogging up the forum with a spat like this wastes everybody else's time.

I thought you had got things a bit mixed up in all honesty - the ballad track with the more uptempo one for starters. The point of the thread I didn't think you'd fully grasped really.

"Suffering" reference was me/us suffering at the hands of your pomposity pistol!

Send me your number and I'll give you a call later if you're around?

I would like to keep the thread on topic. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Ive pile of records to get through hear...I'm looking for the next Eddie Parker

Syl Johnson -That's Why

Paul Sindab-Im Uptight

The Jetset-the Jetset

Lee Maye-If You Leave Me

Johnny Daye-Good Time

Billy Storm-I Never Want To Dream

Grovere Mitchell-I Don't Want To Hear It

Larry Williams-Find Yourself

Pieces Of Eight-Come Back

The Essence-Don't Press Your Luck

Fresh Start-Long Time Comin

Maurice Jackson-Step By Step

Stay Mine-Michael Washington

Youre My Girl-The Doo Rights

The Mist And Rain-The Magnificent 7

Chuck Bernard-The Other Side Of My Mind

Being In Love-Shades Of Soul

Life Aint Easy-Lee Jackson

I Need A True Love-Ray Giant

The last northern style modern record I bought was the Nicolle Willis-If This Aint Love.I've tried Plan B but i prefer the Big Sound Authority.Can you get back to me if Cee Lo Green does a northern record as the stuff above ain't my cup of tea.BTW The B side of the scorched earth 45 Can You Feel It is good in a funky way.Would you get away with Kumano down the 100 club these days!!

Social source share

I don't want this thread to descend into chaos. I've baited Gareth enough and I would just like to keep it on topic.

Petty differences spilling over from earlier threads isn't on. Would rather keep the thread open, so please play nice and don't ask for sweets!

Social source share

Hi Jocko. I made the initial comparison between Ocean and "Lo" because they seem pretty similar to me. They both have deep, soulful voices, both made pop songs (in a very similar style actually) that crossed over to the pop market. It seems you are offended maybe because you think one is more talented than the other (not sure which one)? Or if not, what are the main differences between the two artists that you see? You're writing like it's totally obvious that they are different but it's not obvious to me at least. I'm not saying the same thing as Ian though because I don't think either act is appropriate for a "soul" event as they both are pop. Thanks a lot.

I think I disagree that Cee Lo is just pop, I think he is a good, if not great soul artist, but Billy Ocean is just a pop artist to me, although I have been told he has done some decent soul stuff in past, I am yet to hear it. I certainly don't think he has a particularly strong voice in soul terms.

I get continually frustrated when people hold up artists trying to sound like old soul as representative of new soul, the problem with retro acts is they are competing with the old music, which is almost 100% better.

I buy lots of new soul music, or did until recently, (and I get the fact that there is a reasonable argument saying that is a bit of an oxymoron) but I do think there is lots of good new soul music, much better than these acts mentioned that wouldn't even register. I get frustrated at Iain D I suppose as he in a fortunate position where he hears lots of it, but fairly openly admits most of it is not to his taste. Therefore to hold Cee Lo, (who remember I do like and did buy, as in pay for, his music), is held as the next great thing, when in some ways he is just a tribute act, is both surprising and frustrating for me. I do appreciate it is an opinion on this one however, not a fact!

To hold him up as Northern however for me is just lazy, crazy and says more about Northern scene currently than anything, however its another sign of that SWON!

I also know Iain is used to my voiciferous debating, so it was aimed at him.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I don't think they're right for Soul events either. Essentially they're both Pop acts with great voices and both were in multi-racial bands that were aimed at pop markets as you say.

Mind you, Billy Ocean's "I Remember" was a hit at the recent Baltic Soul Weekender, so some people like him..........

Social source share

I get frustrated at Iain D I suppose as he in a fortunate position where he hears lots of it, but fairly openly admits most of it is not to his taste. Therefore to hold Cee Lo, (who remember I do like and did buy, as in pay for, his music), is held as the next great thing, when in some ways he is just a tribute act, is both surprising and frustrating for me. I do appreciate it is an opinion on this one however, not a fact!

I also know Iain is used to my voiciferous debating, so it was aimed at him.

LOL, if you and me didn't argue there'd be something wrong. You've got to bear in mind that my tastes skewer towards the more commercial end of the spectrum anyway. Plus I maybe like around 2% of ANY new releases unless it's an exceptional year, the other 98% are not generally for me. That's just personal taste. Also I tend to like what I call 'complete' records, i.e., those that have great production values, great arrangements, great songs and hopefully great singers, so I tend to look at the whole package rather than just the voice. So if someone has an awe-inspiring voice but is let down by a mediocre song or production then that won't cut it for me. The reality is that there simply aren't that many records that manage to tick all the boxes for me, so I'm really difficult to please.

Right, let me play that Jack Splash long version of "I Want You" to rev me up for the radio show! :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I don't think you'd wanna hear his Goodie Mob stuff which is more Atlanta Rap. His recent stuff is the best he's done to my ears.

Ah, I see... changing tides :)

Social source share

It's pretty indicative of his love for catchy and melodic pop music though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

It was me who played Black Aces Of Soul at the 100 club which seems to have so deeply upset Ian. I would have hoped he would of been nice enough to tell me personally if my playlist had affected him so much he had to leave. Whilst I don't agree that the particular 45 he has decided to rail against has no soul content I can appreciate its not everyone cup of tea. I've always thought that with such quality DJs as Keith, Ady and Mick playing great mid tempo soul records there would of been room for a few more interesting and left field records, and also being that the club claims to be supposed to be supplying the most recent trends musically on the soul scene (as well as classics) we would of been a bit more open minded. Also, we are talking about a grand total of about 6 records in a total of 8 hours of SOUL music, which i don't think is a night ruiner even you seriously detest the records concerned. I did note that quite a few people seemed to enjoy the 45 and other similar ones that all of the DJs played.

I guess you can't please all the people all of the time but to suggest Cee Lo Green is the answer musically beggars belief in my humble opinion. Each to their own I guess??

As ever though, if you are unsure of the current DJ roster at the venue let Ady know he is always open to long standing members comments.

Best regards,

J

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

It was me who played Black Aces Of Soul at the 100 club which seems to have so deeply upset Ian. I would have hoped he would of been nice enough to tell me personally if my playlist had affected him so much he had to leave. Whilst I don't agree that the particular 45 he has decided to rail against has no soul content I can appreciate its not everyone cup of tea. I've always thought that with such quality DJs as Keith, Ady and Mick playing great mid tempo soul records there would of been room for a few more interesting and left field records, and also being that the club claims to be supposed to be supplying the most recent trends musically on the soul scene we would of been a bit ore open minded. Also, we are talking about a grand total of about 6 records in a total of 8 hours of music, which i don't think is a night ruiner even you seriously detest the records concerned. I did note that quite a few people seemed to enjoy the 45 and other similar ones that all of the DJs played.

I guess you can't please all the people all of the time but to suggest Cee Lo Green is the answer musically beggars belief in my humble opinion. Each to their own I guess??

As ever though, if you are unsure of the current DJ roster at the venue let Ady know he is always open to long standing members comments.

Best regards,

J

Well, I can't stop playing Black Aces Of Soul! Awesome record :thumbsup:

Social source share

So set the scene, 5:40am, bit sparse, shall I stick around til the end, or do an offman..?

I know which would keep me out of the above and below. ph34r.gif

I'm that thick I thought you meant you'd like to hear the latter :lol:

Ian, I'm going to spank you with a few Funky Windmills the next time I see you! :ohmy:

Social source share

It was me who played Black Aces Of Soul at the 100 club which seems to have so deeply upset Ian. I would have hoped he would of been nice enough to tell me personally if my playlist had affected him so much he had to leave. Whilst I don't agree that the particular 45 he has decided to rail against has no soul content I can appreciate its not everyone cup of tea. I've always thought that with such quality DJs as Keith, Ady and Mick playing great mid tempo soul records there would of been room for a few more interesting and left field records, and also being that the club claims to be supposed to be supplying the most recent trends musically on the soul scene (as well as classics) we would of been a bit more open minded. Also, we are talking about a grand total of about 6 records in a total of 8 hours of SOUL music, which i don't think is a night ruiner even you seriously detest the records concerned. I did note that quite a few people seemed to enjoy the 45 and other similar ones that all of the DJs played.

Best regards,

J

Is this what all the fuss is about Joel? Nothing wrong with playing that track for me,although when i played it loud,the mice threw themselves on the traps....joking!!!!.:D

Social source share

Seems odd when you consider all of the long established records on the scene which are essentially soulful funk tracks, as many threads on this site have discussed.

Comments taken on board however though I find a friendly chat in person is always better. A little list of the sort of 45s that would be preferred by the aggrieved parties would be interesting.

Cheers!

Social source share

Best regards,

J

Joel - you've done nothing wrong apart from showing great restraint in limiting 'them' to only 6 records!

Keep it up fella :thumbsup:

Social source share

I think I disagree that Cee Lo is just pop, I think he is a good, if not great soul artist, but Billy Ocean is just a pop artist to me, although I have been told he has done some decent soul stuff in past, I am yet to hear it. I certainly don't think he has a particularly strong voice in soul terms.

OK thanks for the explanation. I think I'm out of my expertise in this subject material so I don't have a further opinion that what I said already.

unrelated, the flip of that Black Aces of Soul is really nice sweet soul (I think it's the a-side actually).

Social source share

Seems odd when you consider all of the long established records on the scene which are essentially soulful funk tracks, as many threads on this site have discussed.

Comments taken on board however though I find a friendly chat in person is always better. A little list of the sort of 45s that would be preferred by the aggrieved parties would be interesting.

Cheers!

Yeah I can just imagine your reaction if I'd come up to you and said "what the hell was that funk shite you've just made us all suffer" :lol:

p.s. I wasn't there and don't know the records involved, it's a response to your 'little chat' comment

Social source share

I don't agree with that at all. Why would that be?

Because it means that you make a mark as opposed to drifting in one ear and out the other. If I over-explain it it will lose its simplicity :lol:

Social source share

I cannot for one minute believe some are saying they would prefer CLG to the Black Aces Of Spade at a NS all-nighter/soul night. If CLG was played I would probably walk out or stone the DJ no place for it on the Northern Scene IMO, Modern Scene a different matter but then again IMO if that is what the Modern Scene is reduced to it must be struggling for some quality independent soul music.

The Black Aces Of Soul might not be to everyone's taste but it simply supplying dancers with a type of sound thats currently en vogue/in demand. I would have thought out of all the venues the 100 Club would be a bit more receptive to something different and the current indemand sound? Always used to be.

Social source share

isnt the point of having multiple dj,s variation of music ? its no different than what roger banks done with r&b but he stayed with it some followed and in my mind created a sub culture within the northern fraternity this so called funky edged soul seems to be taking off and theres a demand for it so stick by your guns Joel its not my cuppa really but the scene needs guys like you and may i add you didnt abuse your position and ram it down peoples throats you said you played 6 ..... spot on something for everyone ,my kinda dj

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!