Cee Lo Green V Funky Newies

Simsy

This is not true. I read this here and announced it once on my radio show and was embarassed later. Anyways, the lead singer of Kings Go Forth is Black (and his name is "Black Wolf") and was part of some soul groups that didn't record in Milwaukee in the 70s.

I stand corrected.Its was my understanding this was true.Has Danny Hernandez denied he sang on "You haven't seen my love",Bob.?

Social source share

Guest vertigoGo

You say that like it's a fact, when in reality, that's just your opinion. That is a fact and like it or not, it subtracts credibility from your statements.

ok sorry maybe I should have put 'in my opinion' in the quote but I feel so passionate about this guys awful voice and its 'in my opinon' being cofused with being soulful, rather than a pastishe of a vocal style that reflects deep spiritual feeling, 'in my opinion.':thumbsup:

Social source share

ok sorry maybe I should have put 'in my opinion' in the quote but I feel so passionate about this guys awful voice and its 'in my opinon' being cofused with being soulful, rather than a pastishe of a vocal style that reflects deep spiritual feeling, 'in my opinion.':thumbsup:

Well considering that both of Cee-Lo's parents were ordained ministers and he started singing in church from an early age, I would suggest that he probably knows more about a vocal style which reflects deep spiritual feeling than most. In my opinion of course.

Ian D :D

Social source share

That's okay mate, everyone entitled to their own opinion etc.

Interesting you find his voice awful, but yeah, each to his own. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

"With regard to "funky newies" I think this was a path pioneered by Karl Heard (least in more recent times); and having heard him a couple of times and a few people there after playing such sets I'd say that the key to those sets is taking the audience with you......

A set that blends the right mix of Rare / Northern Soul with funky edged sounds can work superbly and whilst a good tune is a good tune (to the listener) regardless - a whole set of "left fielders" can leave the audience cold as they can't "hook" into it............"

I think that pretty much all of the funkier sounds played at the 100 club so far have not been an issue with people - certainly 45s played by Butch such as Richard Marks, Charlene Soul Seranders ect have always gone down superbly. Obviously there is the odd sound that alienates people a little too far - i wouldn't of thought that BAOS was any funkier than say Earl English or the Dynamic Corvettes, both of which have been played regularly by DJs like Karl. The idea of playing a set of all newies is never conducive to a more conservative dancefloor (although there are plenty of places open minded enough for this to happen) , that goes without saying, but that wasn't the case here. I think this is more a case of one particular 45 getting someones goat. I should also point out that luckily the crowd did dance to the 45 in question!!

:hatsoff2:

Some very very good points there my freind...

Social source share

I feel sorry for the bad press that has now been thrust on (to my mind) a fantastic Detroit funk soul record Steve - one that may have a strong funk edged beat but great soulful vocals over it - hence why i thought it fair to play it in todays climate. I would hardly put it in the comedy party funk category - its not Do The Bus Stop for flip's sake! As Boba pointed out to if you want to hear REAL soul check the flip of BAOS 'Betrothal' out.....beautiful.

The other sad thing is out of the limited crowd there that night (not due to the funk before any of you start laugh.gif) most of them danced to it and a few had previously requested it, which was great to see imho. As one of the DJs its my job to try to get a balance right of what people want to hear across the board, alongside stuff you like yourself and hope to play to people. I always try to play what classic 60's stuff I have both mid and uptempo in the first set and try to be a bit more interesting in the second? Some 45s work, some don't - I had hoped maybe the 100 would be a place this might of (and thought it had on the night) - but onward ever upward, have to find something else with the funk toned down a tad - all part of the rare soul jocking game!

Cheers!

J

Edited by corbett80
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Am I the only person that actually likes the Black Aces of Soul now then? Strewth!

It's absolutely got a place at a Niter.

I like it, not keen on the harmonies mind, but within the context of the thread, isn't it just the unlucky one that was put in the spotlight by Ian?

Social source share

Guest john s

Am I the only person that actually likes the Black Aces of Soul now then? Strewth!

Not at all - great tune. Didn't know it, will be looking out for it. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hopefully will get something out of the old box to tickle your fancy instead....!

And a record you like (boom boom) laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Instead of going for a cigg i, I'm gonna stick around and watch the funxsta's dance in future. Not expecting spins & floorwork, but just interested to see moves, beat etc..

Social source share

It's absolutely got a place at a Niter.

Steve, I've made it quite clear earlier in the thread that I LOVE IT :D

Social source share

biggrin.gif

Instead of going for a cigg i, I'm gonna stick around and watch the funxsta's dance in future. Not expecting spins & floorwork, but just interested to see moves, beat etc..

I've already offered to show you my funky windmills! :ohmy:

Social source share

I saw people dancing in the usual stylee - certainly noticed a large degree of shuffling going on to The Apollos at Cleggy - in the main room as well!

Now your talking :thumbsup:

Social source share

Nah Dave, I kow what I like and what I don't like by this stage of my life; I also have a reasonable pair of ears as well :lol: . Nothing to do with progression. It's about hearing exciting new records.....Steve

i know it is steve. but nothing good or exciting about the last 2 records . BAOS is a poor mans psychelic shack soundalike...and APPOLOS is a dull funk instrumental........got pace about them but thats all...not for me.is that the best we can do ..wheres the real stuff

dave

Social source share

Both sides played at Hip city, Berlin to a full floor, think a lot of people are still narrow minded in uk :yes:

yes, some of the "funkier" tunes are well received by our punters over here. Not so much the local brew the cause though as except for Becks and Budweiser (which are not local brews) they only serve Irish and Engllish brews at the Oscar Wilde...it seems to be more a case of them being indeed willing to accept the one or two new tunes being aired without geting (too) annoyed :thumbsup:

Thankfully.

Social source share

i know it is steve. but nothing good or exciting about the last 2 records . BAOS is a poor mans psychelic shack soundalike...and APPOLOS is a dull funk instrumental........got pace about them but thats all...not for me.is that the best we can do ..wheres the real stuff

dave

Absolutely spot on IMHO :thumbsup:

Social source share

dave

Must admit the Appolos isn't a favourite.....filler material :lol:

Social source share

yes, some of the "funkier" tunes are well received by our punters over here. Not so much the local brew the cause though as except for Becks and Budweiser (which are not local brews) they only serve Irish and Engllish brews at the Oscar Wilde...it seems to be more a case of them being indeed willing to accept the one or two new tunes being aired without geting (too) annoyed :thumbsup:

Thankfully.

Open minded,blank canvasses.Sometimes knowledge and history can be baggage that holds you back.

Social source share

i totally disagree; but then its all personal. what did suprise me is that Sam favours this side over Waymond Hall

Waymond is waaaay better :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thankfully.

That's exactly as I read it Marc - the crowd prepared to give things a go, came with open minds and danced to whatever felt right, created a very relaxed and non-judgemental atmosphere - it was very refreshing ...................:D

It was also noticeably a more mixed and younger crowd............

Just keep doing what you do :thumbsup:

Social source share

Open minded,blank canvasses.Sometimes knowledge and history can be baggage that holds you back.

understand what you mean and apreciate it, must say though that with some being regular punters for a period over 21 years and of course attening other venues too they are not that blank anymore.. furthermore I have to admit that not everybody is totally happy with the funkier tunes..some prefer the more traditional sounds. still they dont moan and accept these tunes as they simply relax and wait for the next more appropriate tune

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's exactly as I read it Marc - the crowd prepared to give things a go, came with open minds and danced to whatever felt right, created a very relaxed and non-judgemental atmosphere - it was very refreshing ...................:D

It was also noticeably a more mixed and younger crowd............

Just keep doing what you do :thumbsup:

cheers, we will try to do our best :thumbsup:

Social source share

"i know it is steve. but nothing good or exciting about the last 2 records . BAOS is a poor mans psychelic shack soundalike...and APPOLOS is a dull funk instrumental........got pace about them but thats all...not for me.is that the best we can do ..wheres the real stuff

dave"

But would you rather hear Cee Lo Green at a nighter? :P

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

understand what you mean and apreciate it, must say though that with some being regular punters for a period over 21 years and of course attening other venues too they are not that blank anymore.. furthermore I have to admit that not everybody is totally happy with the funkier tunes..some prefer the more traditional sounds. still they dont moan and accept these tunes as they simply relax and wait for the next more appropriate tune

Should have added "Blank canvasses" as a positive..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!