Cee Lo Green V Funky Newies

Simsy

I made a comment on Facebook and it was suggested a thread on here might work better.

"If Cee Lo Green were a sh*t load less famous, he'd be Northern Soul. Shame as a few of his offerings are, imo vastly superior to some of the emperor's new clothes currently foisted upon us"..

Discuss...

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I made a comment on Facebook and it was suggested a thread on here might work better.

"If Cee Lo Green were a sh*t load less famous, he'd be Northern Soul. Shame as a few of his offerings are, imo vastly superior to some of the emperor's new clothes currently foisted upon us"..

Discuss...

I tried to like Cee Lo Green but just couldn't get on with his stuff, famous or not. Sorry.

I can't think of anything recently played out that any of his music is vastly superior to, which ones were you thinking of Simsy?

Social source share

which ones were you thinking of Simsy?

Mostly the funkier news spins Matt.. Just think he is more soulful. I don't think he should be getting spins out (though Cunnie has some of his rarer stuff), but I always preferred soul to funk.

Social source share

Why compare C-Lo Green to 'Northern Soul' specifically?

And why compare it to forty year old independently produced music? If you do you should surely come to the conclusion that while it is influenced by that music it is inferior on each and every practical level with the exception of record sales.

Are you saying there is a major gap in your listening experience at rare soul events because C-Lo Green's music is absent from playlists?

His music has none of the profile or texture of anything that should (IMO) be played on a rare soul scene. The early 80s was the last time when current US soul on major labels could have been programmed, and that was possibly stretching it too far for some people.

Social source share

Discuss...

Totally agree. The guy just oozes Soul and "I Want You" is the best record of the last couple of years for me and his latest album is easily the best Soul album of the 00's for me too. A gigantic talent who is on a par with all the greats IMO.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Why compare C-Lo Green to 'Northern Soul' specifically?

And why compare it to forty year old independently produced music? If you do you should surely come to the conclusion that while it is influenced by that music it is inferior on each and every practical level with the exception of record sales.

Are you saying there is a major gap in your listening experience at rare soul events because C-Lo Green's music is absent from playlists?

His music has none of the profile or texture of anything that should (IMO) be played on a rare soul scene. The early 80s was the last time when current US soul on major labels could have been programmed, and that was possibly stretching it too far for some people.

For me this artist has a great soul vocal on most of his recordings so far. In terms of soulful quality in his voice, I would liken him to the late great Solomon Burke.

Now all I am saying is it's a shame that the commercial div chart offerings as Simon Imber would liken it too are musically better than some of these non soul funky 'like it cos it's new and different' type records I have left nighters because of at 5.40am bored shitless.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Totally agree. The guy just oozes Soul and "I Want You" is the best record of the last couple of years for me and his latest album is easily the best Soul album of the 00's for me too. A gigantic talent who is on a par with all the greats IMO.

Um, for me this is just sounds like smootchy 80s nightclub music. I can't think of any of the current funky soul sounds that this even comes close to in terms of power and soulfulness. Instantly forgettable in my opinion.

Compare it say, with Charlene and the Soul Serenaders, or Four Real Inc, or Martha Bass, they all blow Cee Lo Green out of the water.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Um, for me this is just sounds like smootchy 80s nightclub music. I can't think of any of the current funky soul sounds that this even comes close to in terms of power and soulfulness. Instantly forgettable in my opinion.

Same here. Good singer, no doubt, insipid music as bad as the mid 80's really.

Social source share

Hmm, thinking maybe should have done a poll here?

I'm going to be stunned if the general consensus is this man does not have soul. As I'm sure given the right material ....

I wouldn't mind hearing a blast of Cunnie's 'I Want You' edit ...? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'm going to be stunned if the general consensus is this man does not have soul. As I'm sure given the right material ....

I think he has 'got soul', absolutely. Just not keen on the music.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yeah given the right material. I'd like to hear him sing something with a bit more 'oomph'.

Social source share

Compare it say, with Charlene and the Soul Serenaders, or Four Real Inc, or Martha Bass, they all blow Cee Lo Green out of the water.

It's probably more the production then the song Matt. I actually can't stand 98% of contemporary productions which leave me totally cold and uninspired but I think this guy's in a league of his own. And I wasn't an easy convert believe me.

I reckon if that vocal could be transferred to a 60's or 70's type production it would tick all the boxes for a lot of people. I seriously think he's right up there with the greats and I concurr with Simsy that he could easily be a modern day Solomon Burke.

Cunnie turned me onto this ages ago and it's since become my favourite track (but I do have pretty broad tastes).

Social source share

Mostly the funkier news spins Matt.. Just think he is more soulful. I don't think he should be getting spins out (though Cunnie has some of his rarer stuff), but I always preferred soul to funk.

Yeah but they ar more funkier :ohmy:

Bi like saying Elvis was a great singer but not as soulful as Cee lo Green :lol:

Social source share

Yeah but they ar more funkier :ohmy:

Bi like saying Elvis was a great singer but not as soulful as Cee lo Green :lol:

No no like that at all really - soul is soul and funk is funk. So why play funk at a soul do? Thought that point was clear enough! :lol:

Social source share

No no like that at all really - soul is soul and funk is funk. So why play funk at a soul do? Thought that point was clear enough! :lol:

"NORTHERN SOUL" has thrown up a hell of a lot of records that aren't by definition "soulful"

Another thread for that one me thinks but seriously it originated as a dance scene and fo me ..we've had country singers ..reggae ...rock n roll ....funk and a load more thrust upon the scene in the last 40 yrs ..hence the reason your hearing more "Funkier" sounds at soul do's .

The art is to play records that suit the dance floor ..sadly some mis-interpret and get it oh so wrong ..which is probs why the scene is so fragmented ,watered down and full of dis-illusioned followers :thumbsup:

Social source share

"NORTHERN SOUL" has thrown up a hell of a lot of records that aren't by definition "soulful"

Another thread for that one me thinks but seriously it originated as a dance scene and fo me ..we've had country singers ..reggae ...rock n roll ....funk and a load more thrust upon the scene in the last 40 yrs ..hence the reason your hearing more "Funkier" sounds at soul do's .

The art is to play records that suit the dance floor ..sadly some mis-interpret and get it oh so wrong ..which is probs why the scene is so fragmented ,watered down and full of dis-illusioned followers :thumbsup:

Well said that man. I can't disagree with what you've said, spot on. :thumbsup:

I was arguing with myself at breakfast on the point I would dance to Tony Galla at a nighter and he is not (technically) soul. At least he was on a soul label.

As far as the rest of what you can get away with, or what is an inspired daring new dancer, your above posting covers this and covers the point well imo.

Social source share

Well said that man. I can't disagree with what you've said, spot on. :thumbsup:

I was arguing with myself at breakfast on the point I would dance to Tony Galla at a nighter and he is not (technically) soul. At least he was on a soul label.

As far as the rest of what you can get away with, or what is an inspired daring new dancer, your above posting covers this and covers the point well imo.

You only have to look at Ted Masseys playlists to see what i mean :lol:

Only kidding Ted...you know im your biggest fan :wicked:

Social source share

The first 45 on Swan was by Dickie Do and the Don'ts and I'm fairly sure their biggest artists will have been The Beatles, Freddie Cannon, Link Wray and maybe Edie Rambeau. Sure it released a fair amount of R&B but I think it's stretching it call it a soul label.

More to the point though, I accept that people do the "should I dance to this as I don't know whether it's a boot or original" thing, but surely people don't ask themselves if it's ok to dance to records dependent on the actual label? :ohmy:

Social source share

:no: ,dont start that again Nev.:D .

Anyone for Eli Paper boy Reed.? Saw him live.Not bad at all,for a white guy...in fact prefer him to C-LO.

Cee LO 0 v Funky Newies 1.

Social source share

So set the scene, 5:40am, bit sparse, shall I stick around til the end, or do an offman..?

I know which would keep me out of the above and below. ph34r.gif

Social source share

The first 45 on Swan was by Dickie Do and the Don'ts and I'm fairly sure their biggest artists will have been The Beatles, Freddie Cannon, Link Wray and maybe Edie Rambeau. Sure it released a fair amount of R&B but I think it's stretching it call it a soul label.

More to the point though, I accept that people do the "should I dance to this as I don't know whether it's a boot or original" thing, but surely people don't ask themselves if it's ok to dance to records dependent on the actual label? :ohmy:

Was thinking more Sheila Ferguson in all honesty.

Label is unimortant if it's a great new dancer with mass dancefloor appeal. Though in some instances, every little helps!

Social source share

Anyone for Eli Paper boy Reed.? Saw him live.Not bad at all,for a white guy...in fact prefer him to C-LO.

dont know if its widely known but another very nice aspect about eli is the fact that he also collects Soul, mainly Deep. When I had the pleasure to be the support DJ at his first Berlin gig he was hanging around the decks before and after the concert and we talked about this and that 45 (you know the stuff, sth like, oh yeah that is a goodie, I have that too, never seen this etc.) good fun :thumbsup:

Social source share

Stunning. Can't really think of anyone else who comes close in terms of recent artists.

Maybe his big mistake for this scene was to not record in a shack in Alabama, press up a couple of hundred copies with an amateurish label design and die pennyless? Some artists just don't get it do they? :lol:

Amen. innocent.gif

Social source share

Whilst we're on the subject of recent new releases/artists, I was wondering what people thought of this...

I like it Ian. They played it to death on the radio, but easy on the ear all the same.

Back on topic, the boy Cee Lo, wonder how many more re edits are in the mix and would they get plays?

Social source share

I like it Ian. They played it to death on the radio, but easy on the ear all the same.

Back on topic, the boy Cee Lo, wonder how many more re edits are in the mix and would they get plays?

I liked the Aloe Blacc track as well, , but after having a little think about it I wondered if I'd been influenced by the video ie: no plush surroundings, gave it a more authentic soulful feeling? Moving that forward to Cee Lo, I think he's got a soulful voice, but does the hype surrounding him, the bling etc mean he wouldn't be taken seriously by a very discerning northern audience? Can poverty equal soulfulness?

Social source share

The videoclip of C-Loo on Jools Holland is interesting as that's basically a deep soul ballad. Are you saying that records of that type should be played at an allnighter to restore flagging spirits at twenty to six? If deep soul should be played there are literally hundreds of ballad obscurities which would blow that out of the proverbial water: the other sides of the Robert Tanner 45s on Megatone, The Barons Unlimited on III Stars, the Eddie Finley 45s, George Hughley, Sammy Roberson and on and on all make C-Lo Green sound like the mannered exercise in marketing he undoubtedly is now. I'm not saying he doesn't have vocal talent but the best soul music is a truly transcendent artform. This is not it.

Sadly i am no longer versed in truly modern soul but I'm sure there are members here who could recommend recent releases by less vaunted artists which would compare very favourably with C-Lo Green. The problem with the other artists is that they don't have the marketing budgets to get A List exposure like appearances on Jools Holland. They are not easily beamed into the living rooms of potential consumers and it requires a degree of effort to listen to their music.

Maybe my problem with this thread is the heading: C Lo Green v Funky Newies. The comparison of two things where there are no meaningful grounds for comparison is always unhelpful. It's like comparing George Best with Rugby League.

Perhaps this would have been far better as a straightforward appreciation of Mr Green in its own right. It would certainly be less likely to antagonise those who do not necessarily agree with (or understand) the proposition.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The videoclip of C-Loo on Jools Holland is interesting as that's basically a deep soul ballad. Are you saying that records of that type should be played at an allnighter to restore flagging spirits at twenty to six?

No. Wrong clip. Take a listen to the 'I want You' edit. That at twenty to six blah ..

Social source share

The videoclip of C-Loo on Jools Holland is interesting as that's basically a deep soul ballad. Are you saying that records of that type should be played at an allnighter to restore flagging spirits at twenty to six? If deep soul should be played there are literally hundreds of ballad obscurities which would blow that out of the proverbial water: the other sides of the Robert Tanner 45s on Megatone, The Barons Unlimited on III Stars, the Eddie Finley 45s, George Hughley, Sammy Roberson and on and on all make C-Lo Green sound like the mannered exercise in marketing he undoubtedly is now. I'm not saying he doesn't have vocal talent but the best soul music is a truly transcendent artform. This is not it.

Sadly i am no longer versed in truly modern soul but I'm sure there are members here who could recommend recent releases by less vaunted artists which would compare very favourably with C-Lo Green. The problem with the other artists is that they don't have the marketing budgets to get A List exposure like appearances on Jools Holland. They are not easily beamed into the living rooms of potential consumers and it requires a degree of effort to listen to their music.

Maybe my problem with this thread is the heading: C Lo Green v Funky Newies. The comparison of two things where there is no meaningful grounds for comparison is always unhelpful. It's like comparing George Best with Rugby League.

Perhaps this would have been far better as a straightforward appreciation of Mr Green in its own right. It would certainly be less likely to antagonise those who do not necessarily agree with (or understand) the proposition.

Good point. However, Cee-Lo toiled away in relative obscurity for a long time before his major breakthrough with Gnarls Barklay (which I also thought was an incredible vocal). He'd had a string of relative commercial flops since 1995 and he got dropped by Arista after 2 flop solo albums, so if anything, he was incredibly lucky to get the breakthrough when he did. His success was anything but guaranteed really. Most people had consigned him to the dumper a long time before.

But he kept at it against all the odds through thick and thin, which is maybe the difference between Cee-Lo and the Robert Tanner's and George Hughley's of the world, as good as they undoubtably are.

But I take your point about the thread title. I think he's unlikely to appeal too much to the more traditional among us. He didn't appeal to me at all until recently but his recent album has been the most played in my house just lately. Apparently he loves Northern Soul too which doesn't surprise me.......

Social source share

Maybe my problem with this thread is the heading: C Lo Green v Funky Newies. The comparison of two things where there are no meaningful grounds for comparison is always unhelpful. It's like comparing George Best with Rugby League.

Was this explanation insufficient ?

a few of his offerings are, imo vastly superior to some of the emperor's new clothes currently foisted upon us"..

I think comparing a commercial soul artist's output to a new genre of allnighter dancer is particularly relevant. I find the Best/Rugby analogy poor too be honest.

Social source share

sure he may have a good voice but if i heard his stuff played out at a northern type night i'd either have to kill the dj or myself or probably both :no: there are literally thousands of quality underplayed records around that i dont believe theres room for records/artists like this on the scene but thats just my honest oppinion.

Social source share

sure he may have a good voice but if i heard his stuff played out at a northern type night i'd either have to kill the dj or myself or probably both :no: there are literally thousands of quality underplayed records around that i dont believe theres room for records/artists like this on the scene but thats just my honest oppinion.

I agree on the underplayed part Vince and fortunately there are still some venues that stick to this.

I would still personally rather hear the Cee Lo edit in post 23 than the funk one - maybe in the other room..

Social source share

I posted that clip up just to show a more soulful side of the mans talant nothining more, and no am not saying it should be played at at 20 to 6 in the morning would much more prefer somthing uptempo or uplifting at that time but thats another thread, I just dont understand why it is that if any one ever makes a sucsessfull career out of anything remotely soulful be it Cee Lo Green Or say Joss Stone they get a slateing and its not real soul as it wasnt recored in 1960 0r 70 or on some obscure lable, or there white or not black enough or some other stupid reason like it was recored yesterday

Some of thehe songs he has recorded are as good or as bad depending on your point of view as some of the stuff thats been played over the years only diferance is its not rare and never will be

Social source share

I agree on the underplayed part Vince and fortunately there are still some venues that stick to this.

I would still personally rather hear the Cee Lo edit in post 23 than the funk one - maybe in the other room..

i can see your point as the funk track is just that at not northern however it's top drawer funk an i'd love to hear the flip as i bet it's quality sweet soul, either way i know that i wouldnt feel inclined to shoot the dj if he put it on :D

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Nothing against Mr Cee Loo , and quite enjoy some of his records when Ken Bruce spins them on BBC radio 2 of a morning. But not at a soul do please.

The clip of the Black Aces is far superior to any of his records, and much more suited to be played at a rare/northern soul event imo.

I'm probably a bit biased as i'm all for funkier stuff being played. Long may it continue.

Edited by Ollie Lailey
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ian. I've known Vince for 30 years. He would kill everyone :-)

At Prestatyn, I had to stop him killing Sean Chapman for playing Little Anthony - Use Your Head after Mick H had played Eddie Parker - I'm Gone.

I would have impressed Kofi Annan with my dimplomacy skills that night. :lol:

Back on topic Cee Lo Green's album is a right good CD. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ian. I've known Vince for 30 years. He would kill everyone :-)

At Prestatyn, I had to stop him killing Sean Chapman for playing Little Anthony - Use Your Head after Mick H had played Eddie Parker - I'm Gone.

I would have impressed Kofi Annan with my dimplomacy skills that night. :lol:

Back on topic Cee Lo Green's album is a right good CD. :thumbsup:

cheers mike, but i have to say that if sean played cee lo green i wouldn't of just hung him i would have drawn and quartered him just to be sure :rolleyes:

Social source share

I posted that clip up just to show a more soulful side of the mans talant nothining more, and no am not saying it should be played at at 20 to 6 in the morning would much more prefer somthing uptempo or uplifting at that time but thats another thread, I just dont understand why it is that if any one ever makes a sucsessfull career out of anything remotely soulful be it Cee Lo Green Or say Joss Stone they get a slateing and its not real soul as it wasnt recored in 1960 0r 70 or on some obscure lable, or there white or not black enough or some other stupid reason like it was recored yesterday

Some of thehe songs he has recorded are as good or as bad depending on your point of view as some of the stuff thats been played over the years only diferance is its not rare and never will be

That's a debate which has been going on here for years. The point I always try to make about that is that at this stage in his career C-Lo Green hardly needs a champion. One of the things the rare soul scene should be rightly proud of is that it has highlighted artists and records which would otherwise have been lost forever. In an ideal world that would lead to some form of financial recompense for all of them but that isn't always possible. However recognition is relatively free and I know that many of the 'lost' artists have been blown away by the fact that somewhere and often after many decades there is some interest in their work.

Commerciality and quality isn't always mutually exclusive. Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, Marvin Gaye and a host of others recorded work which sold in truckloads but which should satisfy the most demanding palate from a qualitative point of view. I certainly have no problems with an artist simply because they happen to sell many records.

My issue with this topic as a whole is that Simsy is seeking to get two unrelated issues off his chest. On the one hand he wishes to declare his undying love for the work of C-Lo Green. Fine. I can live with that. On the other he wishes to share his thoughts on some of the 'un-soulful funky stuff' being played at some allnighters these days.

The former does not in any way logically resolve (or perhaps even relate to) the latter issue.

If a deejay wishing to come on and play 45 minutes of funk-edged obscurities at a nighter scares Simsy off would that same deejay putting on the entirety of the latest C-Lo Green album to fill his spot bring him back into the fold? Of course it wouldn't. It would be preposterous. Would Simsy advocate replacing that 45 minute set with the equivalent time of contemporary uptempo commercial Soul Music as a whole. That would make more sense, but I suspect he would not advocate that as in reality he has no deep abiding interest in, or love of, contemporary soul. Or possibly of soul music in general?

Social source share

That's a debate which has been going on here for years. The point I always try to make about that is that at this stage in his career C-Lo Green hardly needs a champion. One of the things the rare soul scene should be rightly proud of is that it has highlighted artists and records which would otherwise have been lost forever. In an ideal world that would lead to some form of financial recompense for all of them but that isn't always possible. However recognition is relatively free and I know that many of the 'lost' artists have been blown away by the fact that somewhere and often after many decades there is some interest in their work.

Commerciality and quality isn't always mutually exclusive. Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes, Marvin Gaye and a host of others recorded work which sold in truckloads but which should satisfy the most demanding palate from a qualitative point of view. I certainly have no problems with an artist simply because they happen to sell many records.

My issue with this topic as a whole is that Simsy is seeking to get two unrelated issues off his chest. On the one hand he wishes to declare his undying love for the work of C-Lo Green. Fine. I can live with that. On the other he wishes to share his thoughts on some of the 'un-soulful funky stuff' being played at some allnighters these days.

The former does not in any way logically resolve (or perhaps even relate to) the latter issue.

If a deejay wishing to come on and play 45 minutes of funk-edged obscurities at a nighter scares Simsy off would that same deejay putting on the entirety of the latest C-Lo Green album to fill his spot bring him back into the fold? Of course it wouldn't. It would be preposterous. Would Simsy advocate replacing that 45 minute set with the equivalent time of contemporary uptempo commercial Soul Music as a whole. That would make more sense, but I suspect he would not advocate that as in reality he has no deep abiding interest in, or love of, contemporary soul. Or possibly of soul music in general?

I think I understand what your saying and to a point i guess your right, but to come to the conclusion that Simsy dosnt like Soul Music because he happens to like Cee lo over Funky Northern is IMO way over the top but Simsy bigger then me & am sure can stick up for himself,

Social source share

Seriously?? A thread about Cee Lo Green brings you to that conclusion how?

Winnie :)

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I'll off you the chance to retract that. Or the opportunity to explain further your knowledge of my love, (or lack of) of soul music contemporary or otherwise!

Why you cannot seem to grasp the essence of this thread I cannot fathom. You do not need to have this dumbed down. However; Isn't it a shame that there is a successful soul artist of that calibre so commercially exposed, whilst some of the newer funkier offerings at our do's are not as SOULFUL..

Get that last bit? Don't ever question my soul credentials again!

And in all the confusion, I'm logged in as our lass laugh.gif

Edited by Mrs Simsy
Social source share

he has no deep abiding interest in, or love of, contemporary soul. Or possibly of soul music in general?

I'll off you the chance to retract that. Or the opportunity to explain further your knowledge of my love, (or lack of) of soul music contemporary or otherwise!

Why you cannot seem to grasp the essence of this thread I cannot fathom. You do not need to have this dumbed down. However; Isn't it a shame that there is a successful soul artist of that calibre so commercially exposed, whilst some of the newer funkier offerings at our do's are not as SOULFUL..

Get that last bit? Don't ever question my soul credentials again!

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

To true :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!