Wd 40

Pete S

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I used it on a terrible condition jamaican reggae 45, vinyl, it improved it by about 50% to be honest, did it leave a residue? Well it made it extremely shiny. I chucked it away afterwards anyway but just wondered if anyone else had tried it.

I used it to get extreme sticker/glue residue off the lid of that jukebox of mine, nothing would get it off, WD 40 did.

Social source share

The residue might also make it temporarily sound better in the way a "wet play" does but it's a slippery slope (if you'll forgive the phrase) and in the long term will probably lead to a deterioration in sound forcing you to always play wet. Bad for the old stylus, all the gunk too, I'd have though.

Social source share

Anyone tried cleaning records with wd 40?

I just did - came out fantastic. Smells a bit strong though.

WD40 is oil based and although it will not harm the record it will leave leave a residue. It will also aleviate any initial noise issues as it creates a block between the dust and the groove but also screws the needle big time, clogging it up. Thats why an alcohol based cleaner is recommended... it evapourates. WD40 is a lubricant and doesnt, it merely adds grease .... resolving the immediate problem but not eradicating it.

DONT USE IT ANY MORE PETE FFS thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Preems

we use elmer's glue (don't know if y'all have that out there) lay out a thick layer let it dry for a day or two til it's clear and peal it like a lady peals a masquethumbsup.gifhere's a freaky way to clean a 45

works GREAT on dusty old vinyl can turn a junk disc into a play copy at times, styrene too although often styrene has just had its day sad.gif

Social source share

Wont do any harm at all, been using for years!.....spray it on, leave a while and then play with an old scrap stylus to remove the gunk...you only need to do this the once.....they will need washing afterwards with soap and water to remove the greasiness.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Anyone tried cleaning records with wd 40?

I just did - came out fantastic. Smells a bit strong though.

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL.....PETE WE DID THIS ONE BEFORE? THE THING ABOUT WB40 IT DOES PUT LIFE BACK INTO THE PLASTIC, THE B&Q ORANGE BUCKET FEST? IF YOU HAVE ONE AFTER A YEAR OUT SIDE THEY FADE BUT IF YOU SPRAY WD4 ON A AREA GIVE IT10 MINUTES THEN USE A CLOTH IT SHINES LIE A BRAND NEW ONE, IT'S SAFE ON MOST RECORDS BUT WATCH THE LABEL ON SUCH RECORDS LIE 60S PYE OR UK COXONE,:yes: DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert