• Replies 306
  • Views 38.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

this is Dee Clark .... shook up over you

post-17845-0-47984800-1344807107_thumb.j

one sided with no writing on. no name, song....

Edited by I KNOW NOTHING
Social source share

• 4 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Linda & The Pretenders .... a slightly different version to the one released on Assault and very different to the first version recorded at the A1 Studio

Of interest is the annotation 'Pawn Records' which, I believe, was owned by Eddie Singleton ... he did release 45s on that label by the Toreadors. The same group as the Matadors that recorded for Keith Records, named after his oldest son. The group included Harry Bass who went on to write some awesome songs ....'Dream My Heart' and 'Guess Who Loves You' being just two.

I do wonder why Eddie didn't put it out on Pawn

post-13948-0-32116400-1361732924_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 months later...

This one came out of Texas - Marilyn Fowler - We got a good thing going on.

Probably out of Texas...I found it within a bunch of Huey P.Meaux acetates...if indeed you got that copy from a UK source :thumbsup:

Social source share

Saw a Gold Star studios 7" acetate for the Puffs - I Only Cry Once A Day (Dore) yesterday...amazing what has found its way to Tokyo!

yes.gif

And now said acetate (8" not a 7") resides on my shelves...just noted a spoken intro...been an eternity since I had a Dore copy and can't recall if that is on the vinyl as well...anyone confirm, please.

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-46477000-1367763886_thumb.jp

Edited by Flynny
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

No, when I say it came out of Texas, I mean it actually came from Texas - from someone who had part of Huey P Meaux's estate.

Good to have confirmation...I had no rock solid evidence that it was a Texas recording. Not unusual for him to press more than one acetate, it seems! I've checked the scan I took of my copy - same hand writing but a different copy it seems.

Social source share

Good to have confirmation...I had no rock solid evidence that it was a Texas recording. Not unusual for him to press more than one acetate, it seems! I've checked the scan I took of my copy - same hand writing but a different copy it seems.

Three copies that I'm aware of, possibly four.

Apparently the singer, Marilyn Fowler, was a local gal. Have to say that as soon as Huey P Meaux's name was mentioned, it was an immediate "of course" moment. The arrangement's got his fingerprints all over it, especially the sudden shift half way through into the New Orleans style!

Social source share

Guest penny

I very nearly bought a couple off him - the tastes sour and another R&B track.

The R&B track had another track on the flip, that he was pushing for sale, but I wanted it for the R&B side - when I told him I was only willing to pay 'x' amount for it as I wasn't fussed about the flip, he suddenly magicked a single sided acetate with the track I wanted on.

It stunk like a bucket of fish heads left out in the sun, so I backed out on the deal.

I know he then sold both the acetates on to other buyers.

Are you talking about the abtone acetates there joe, that came up with all them jimmy radcliffe things out of new york? I ended up buying the one sided 'helpless' 10" which certainly looks and smells old! I remember he also had it on a 45 acetate with a good r&b track on the flip but it had already gone. Someone else got a one sided 'helpless' acetate 7" off him which was possibly a recent pressing, but I dont think mine is, it's a big metal thing with chips off the edges!

Mik

Mik

Social source share

Are you talking about the abtone acetates there joe, that came up with all them jimmy radcliffe things out of new york? I ended up buying the one sided 'helpless' 10" which certainly looks and smells old! I remember he also had it on a 45 acetate with a good r&b track on the flip but it had already gone. Someone else got a one sided 'helpless' acetate 7" off him which was possibly a recent pressing, but I dont think mine is, it's a big metal thing with chips off the edges!

Mik

Mik

Mik,

I'm pretty sure some of them were kosher, it was the fact that he had multiples, on different labels (and without labels) of the same tracks.

The Helpless he offered me was on a 7" acetate without a label, yours is/was on a 10" - why would a studio cut the same track on different size discs?

Then there were the "Tastes Sour Don't It" acetates, that had labels stuck on over the top of other labels (which was suspect in itself).

Cheers,

Joe.

Social source share

Guest penny

Mik,

I'm pretty sure some of them were kosher, it was the fact that he had multiples, on different labels (and without labels) of the same tracks.

The Helpless he offered me was on a 7" acetate without a label, yours is/was on a 10" - why would a studio cut the same track on different size discs?

Then there were the "Tastes Sour Don't It" acetates, that had labels stuck on over the top of other labels (which was suspect in itself).

Cheers,

Joe.

Yeah, someone bought the no label 7" of helpless but cant remember who, and I think it did look and sound dodgy. My one is chunky 10" with printed labels and looks the part. Never did find out who sings that helpless track, quite a catchy tune for an unreleased thing.

Hope all good mate, should see you next week

Mik

Social source share

Yeah, someone bought the no label 7" of helpless but cant remember who, and I think it did look and sound dodgy. My one is chunky 10" with printed labels and looks the part. Never did find out who sings that helpless track, quite a catchy tune for an unreleased thing.

Mik

you should try to peel off the labl stickers if you wanna know for sure wether your acetate(s) is/are kosher or not.. mr radcliffe jr. used to stick on laser printed labels on top of the original stickers on his "newer" acetates. think we covered this whole subject already twice since fryer brought the subject up for the first time some years ago. I bought a 7" "helpless" which was kosher, looked, played and even smelled correct btw. but bought also other stuff off him, out of which one wasnt sober. cant think of its title at the moment though.

Social source share

Mik

Yours definitely sounds like the real thing - I'm sure the one I bought was a 'recent' one

Social source share

Ouch!

I see the acetates for the Inspirations on Breakthrough, and Sunlovers and Johnny Hendley on Mutt & Jeff are the'Bay at the moment.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Going off tack a bit ..... but still acetate related ..........

Back in the 50's / early 60's some disc recording lathes had 16" turntables. For use on these machines, 16" diameter acetates were made and used.

These probably fell out of use just about everywhere by around 62/63.

But as some folk on here are into doo-wop, blues and early R&B, I was wondering if anyone has a cut on a 16" acetate ??

Many radio stations had / used disc recording lathes in the 1950’s. These were soon replaced by tape recorders but the old lathes were still used for recording commercials. Audio stuff received from advertising agencies soon changed over to magnetic pre-recorded tapes but the radio station engineers still dubbed much of the content onto 16” transcription discs for play on the air.

These transcription discs were known as 'instantaneous recording discs' (acetates). They were made from aluminium blanks that were coated with cellulose nitrate lacquer. The coating on the discs was a complicated brew of lacquer, plasticizers, dyes, lubricants, and other things but actual acetate wasn't used. They were termed 'instantaneous recording discs' at the radio stns because they would be used 'on air' immediately after the recording process had been completed.

Back in the 1950's / early 60's loads of black music was cut onto such discs using these radio station based machines and the resulting tracks hawked around by the singers in order to land a 'proper' record deal. That's why many early 60's black acts had a radio DJ as their early manager, because those DJ's had made it possible for them to make a 'first record'.

So a good few early 60's pre-soul tracks will have existed on such acetates. Anyone got one ?

........ Disc cutting lathes in use at a US radio station ..........

post-22122-0-47513700-1368971982_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert