Phil La Of Soul - (Label Of The Week)

Ok thanks guys, that explains it then.

Just Neil Brown left which is a mystery.

John did you get everything else on the label? Did you get the 7" comedy EP?

I've collected it too, and the ones I listed were the ones I couldn't find on my shelves.

Hence the question. I was discussing the label with Roburt, and that's what prompted me to take a look at what I had. I also don't have a couple of the 380s, which I don't think came out.

Steve

Social source share

Ok thanks guys, that explains it then.

Just Neil Brown left which is a mystery.

I've collected it too, and the ones I listed were the ones I couldn't find on my shelves.

Hence the question. I was discussing the label with Roburt, and that's what prompted me to take a look at what I had. I also don't have a couple of the 380s, which I don't think came out.

Steve

I have that comedy EP, I forget who it's by, red foxx? the 380 titles that I've never seen (doesn't mean they don't exist, I haven't been looking for them) are the titus turner and flick wilson.

Social source share

I have that comedy EP, I forget who it's by, red foxx? the 380 titles that I've never seen (doesn't mean they don't exist, I haven't been looking for them) are the titus turner and flick wilson.

maybe it's by flip wilson and that's the number listed as "flick wilson"? I have to check.

Social source share

Guest trickbag

e: Phil-L.A. Of Florida Soul! #2 [-]

(06/05/02 04:12:24)

ReplyQuoteMore

My Recent Posts Funk collector/researcher Dante Carfagna brings up a good point: was the Thunder Lightning & Rain 45 actually released on Phil-L.A. Of Soul? It's listed in the label's own internal discography, and because I noted it in some OLD notes, I must have laid eyes on the single at one time. But I don't remember where or when. So does it exist? My guess is there are a few promo 45s that got out, but that might be as far as it got...

Jeff

a little info

ricky.

Social source share

maybe it's by flip wilson and that's the number listed as "flick wilson"? I have to check.

Yes it is Flip Wilson - six track 7".

On Thunder.Lightening .Rain I reckon this was planned as a release at the same time as Benny Gordon (which was issued next number) and who was touring in Florida (and released the same title of his Phil La 45 there on a local label just before it came out on Phil La). He probably recommended the group to Phil La. at the time. I don't think Phil la ever pressed it up though.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Yes it is Flip Wilson - six track 7".

On Thunder.Lightening .Rain I reckon this was planned as a release at the same time as Benny Gordon (which was issued next number) and who was touring in Florida (and released the same title of his Phil La 45 there on a local label just before it came out on Phil La). He probably recommended the group to Phil La. at the time. I don't think Phil la ever pressed it up though.

Steve

I'll ask Frank Lipsius as I'll be speaking to him shortly. Actually I have all the Jamie-Guyden internal listings if they're any good to you Steve...I can send 'em on Tuesday when I'm back at the office.......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

wouldn't mind seeing those too Ian?

No probs Chalky. It has the complete internal listings for every label owned and distributed by Jamie-Guyden. I think there's a great chance of some good stuff which hasn't been unearthed before being in there. It'd be good to pool some knowledge and try and get it down to a list which I could then send to Frank and have him pull the masters. He's in a pro-active mood at the moment, especially with the Arctic Box Set on it's way.

I don't people realise how many records were released through Jamie-Guyden especially throughout the late 60's. There's got to be some stuff in there, maybe unreleased as yet.

Social source share

No probs Chalky. It has the complete internal listings for every label owned and distributed by Jamie-Guyden. I think there's a great chance of some good stuff which hasn't been unearthed before being in there. It'd be good to pool some knowledge and try and get it down to a list which I could then send to Frank and have him pull the masters. He's in a pro-active mood at the moment, especially with the Arctic Box Set on it's way.

I don't people realise how many records were released through Jamie-Guyden especially throughout the late 60's. There's got to be some stuff in there, maybe unreleased as yet.

Sounds good and will be interesting to sit and read the list and see just what is in there.

Social source share

I also don't have a couple of the 380s, which I don't think came out.

Nope don't have the comedy EP and now I'm no longer a completest, it'll probably stay missing unless it comes along really really cheap.

I also only have the easy 380's, Oscar Perry and Paradise.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

A lot of the label was leased in productions so the independent producers might also have more material. Howard Ravitsky in Philly (who previously ran the Lash label) produced the Alfreda Brockington and Benny Sigler tracks. He has at least one more Alfreda track that was not released.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A lot of the label was leased in productions so the independent producers might also have more material. Howard Ravitsky in Philly (who previously ran the Lash label) produced the Alfreda Brockington and Benny Sigler tracks. He has at least one more Alfreda track that was not released.

There are two previously un-released Alfreda Brockington tracks on the Best of Lash Records CD which came out a while ago.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!