An Interesting Experiment

Just played my office manager 10 tunes from a sales website and asked her (who's never heard any of the tunes before) which ones were her favourites. The selection included mostly very rare tunes and guess what her favourite was, by a mile, I might add. Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure,

Just shows that classics are classics for a reason.

Just a thought.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just played my office manager 10 tunes from a sales website and asked her (who's never heard any of the tunes before) which ones were her favourites. The selection included mostly very rare tunes and guess what her favourite was, by a mile, I might add. Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure,

Just a thought.

be careful warren she may be hinting at something

moldie

Social source share

Just a thought.

That's a brill idea Waz, wonder if the selections would change dependent on age/gender........

Social source share

That's a brill idea Waz, wonder if the selections would change dependent on age/gender........

Dunno mate. One isn't really a representative sample but she loves her soul music. She's only 22 but it was really interesting to hear her critique of the tunes she didn't like. By the way her second and third favourites were Bobby Sheen - Something new to do and The Sheepherders - If ever you need me

Social source share

Dunno mate. One isn't really a representative sample but she loves her soul music. She's only 22 but it was really interesting to hear her critique of the tunes she didn't like. By the way her second and third favourites were Bobby Sheen - Something new to do and The Sheepherders - If ever you need me

22 :thumbsup: ....... " YOU DIRTY OLD MAN" ..as Harold Steptoe used to say :lol:

Social source share

Agreed, to have any relevance it would have to be done amongst quite a big cross section but if you say, took a hardened knowledgeable veteran of the soul scene, and this 'never touched', be interesting to see where and why, the differences in taste, if there were to be any, would occur.

Social source share

Interesting point Boogaloo , I quite often play records in the front room while the Mrs. is on the

computer in the dining room (which is next door) and I can put some of my rarer :D stuff on and then

some cheaper stuff , then I get a ' like that one' response or 'I could dance to that!', What I'm trying to say (waffle)

is sometimes it needs somebody who has no idea of who or how much etc., who likes northern to maybe

give you an inclination of what people might dance to.

Cheers

Swifty :)

Social source share

Just a thought.

catchy Warren - not the same as classic if you know what i mean :)

Social source share

Just a thought.

That shows what tunes have universal appeal, My wife, who'd never been to a soul night or even knew what Northern Soul was until a couple of years ago, insisted there were 2 records i buy when i started collecting again at the beginning of the year.. Bobby Sheen, and Nolan porter... followed by Ann sexton - you been gone too long (also my daughters favourite) yes.gif mind you, her tastes are getting better and more expensive... just had to get a Carl Spencer - Cover Girl!! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest soulboycurtis

I think the NP track a really unusual one, perhaps unique sound for a soul record, strange production and song but it works for sure, I could never put my finger on the appeal pof that track but it works.

Social source share

ALWAYS LIKE A BIT OF ROCK MUSIC ME, PICKED UP THE NOLAN PORTER IN THE EARLY 80T'S FOR 10P ON FRENCH PROBE, BECAUSE I LIKED THE GUITAR RIFF THAT GOES THRU THE RECORD...ALMOST HAD A CORONARY WHEN I FIRST HEARD SAUS PLAY IT AT THE WILTON IN THE EARLY 90T'S

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I can't stand the nolan Porter record it just reminds me of Cliff Richards type of thing from the seventy's I have visions of the twat doing it on top of the pops whilst doing one of those stupid dance routines sorry but it's a real cringer for me chap's .Si.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert