Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

i was refering to rare and underplayed nights where the ethos os to bring something new to the decks and not having the pressure of filling a dance floor, ie- we have a little nigth going on in Southamptom called Ghetto Soul and the emphasis is on the music and not the dance floor but guess what the dance floor gets plenty of action and peeps are non stop coming up to the decks asking what the fook was that i love it, it was a bit tongue in cheek as in "fook the dance floor" but if the dj beleives in his records then hopefully the dance floor will respond and if the dj then worries about the dance floor and has to resort to known stuff then that kind of takes away the underplayed part of the title of the night advertised, if your djn at a night where its all about the dance floor then yes the dj must play what the crowd want to dance too, if your totally ignorent to the dance floor then i agree you shouldnt be up there djn but it really can also depend on the event your djn at imho.

sorry if it came across i bit bulshy if you know what i mean :thumbup:

I did a similar thing (Maybe not as strong!) I wrote on a flyer for early 'SILKS' at Wellingborough "Empty Dance Floors Rule Ok' which some people understood it was to explain that new / underplayed sounds will be played. Unfortunately a few didn't understand and thought that was the ethic! - Doh!

Upfront venues are so opposite to what some people perceive; they play good soul music and just want to keep it interesting that's all.

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I did a similar thing (Maybe not as strong!) I wrote on a flyer for early 'SILKS' at Wellingborough "Empty Dance Floors Rule Ok' which some people understood it was to explain that new / underplayed sounds will be played. Unfortunately a few didn't understand and thought that was the ethic! - Doh!

Upfront venues are so opposite to what some people perceive; they play good soul music and just want to keep it interesting that's all.

Len.

maybe i was a tad too strong but what i was trying to say was not all venues are dictated by the dance floor theya re dictated by the djs and hoepfully they get it right and the dance floor reacts to what they play and not what they have to play, thanks Len im kind of not alone :thumbup:

would anyone play a rare and underplayed set at an oldies night, i dont think so, would anyone play an oldies set at a rare und underplayed night, i dont think so, horses for courses but either way you dont need shite loads of money to entertain but you do need shite loads if you want to buy an instant set to willy wave :no:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

maybe i was a tad too strong but what i was trying to say was not all venues are dictated by the dance floor theya re dictated by the djs and hoepfully they get it right and the dance floor reacts to what they play and not what they have to play, thanks Len im kind of not alone :thumbup:

would anyone play a rare and underplayed set at an oldies night, i dont think so, would anyone play an oldies set at a rare und underplayed night, i dont think so, horses for courses but either way you dont need shite loads of money to entertain but you do need shite loads if you want to buy an instant set to willy wave :no:

me i have a little willy so need something else to wave about :P

Social source share

Believe it or not I've never actually regretted selling any of my collections. I've gone through a few in my time and I just like building 'em up again, which was kinda possible in the 70's, 80's and some of the 90's but a bit of a stretch in the last 15 years or so. I'm just amazed at the prices really and thinking about what a huge financial commitment it must be these days to keep up in the rarified strata of big tune collecting. We go on about inflation and petrol prices all the time but this Northern Soul lark is in a whole different league innit?

How's your arse by the way? :thumbup:

Ian D :no:

Not be playing Tomangoes in Ibiza then Ian?...:P ,,,maybe provide a little taster on the events page?

Social source share

i replied to your post about keeping an eye on the dance floor and making sure your doing your job as a dj and make sure it dont empty, thats what should happen at an oldies night,

at a R&U night you souldnt have to worry about the dance floor should should play those rare and underplayed gems YOU beleive in that are good enough, how the fook you gonna know if they are good enough if all you are thinking about is filling a dance floor and by doing that you be in that rut of an oldies dj, bolox to that and fook the dance floor you play what you believe in and if you do then i have a feeling the dance floor will get action if not blame the promoter for hiring you to dj

bearsy

GREAT POST BEARSY, TRUE IN EVERY WORD, TBH I DON'T EVEN BOTHER ACCEPTING BOOKINGS ANYMORE IF ALL THEY WANT IS A FULL DANCE FLOOR,BUT THEN AGAIN MOST OF THE BOOKINGS I,VE HAD ARE FROM PEOPLE WHO KNOW THE SORT OF STUFF I'M GONNA PLAY.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

It's not only him who's poor Kris , i think almost everyone who buys originals , certainly me included , are so obsessed with it that we spend whatever spare money we have. I've sold many thousands of £'s worth of records within the last month or two & have i banked the money ? , no , i've spent many thousands+ a bit more on records & am skint AGAIN. Collecting vinyl is as addictive as smoking , drinking , gambling etc. etc.

Exactly, I call em "Lifers" - they can't escape the habit of collecting original vinyl (collectors or djs - and they can be one and the same)........and its not necessarily a problem at all...............

I'm all for celebrating the disease I have :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

:thumbup:' />

you sound poor.  So your answer to Ian's initial question must be "No".  Let's just leave it at that because you aren't going to win an argument trying to affirm the playing of bootlegs to a crowd who kind of pride themselves on collecting originals.

:no:' />

Social source share

Strewth Ian. I cannot work out whether you are wanting to get back on the bus, or regretting ever getting off it in the first place, despite your post saying "je ne regret rien". You are beginning to sound like a big name 70s DJ who wants to make a comeback, but without the big cheque book / house re-mortage that the others had. :g:

Let's disect the rest:

-3-4 bookings a week? Oh yeah right! Maybe in someone's front room. No one gets bookings like that.

-Records costing a weeks wages then versus now a month's wages. Rubbish on two counts - you can still get loads of great dancers cheap like the Admirations on OneDerFul for under a tenner (I just checked and it's there). And there are lot's of lesser known things you can seek out and get relatively cheaply. Second these so called "top sounds" ain't exactly lying around on peoples floors, so they ain't easy to source even if you have the dosh.

Back then in the 70s for most of the top DJs as much as it was about breaking new records, it was about having the then instant hits that the other jocks had - this weeks Wigan monster. I often think Wigan actually completely distorted the UK scene by it's dominance for so long. Nowdays, in terms of what gets played - if you exclude the "Teddy Boy" nights, it's much less predictable - of course there are the holy grails, but they tend to last a long time. As for owning things like Salvadors, Eddie Parker, Tomangoes, Del Larks, - if I was starting out as a DJ now, wouldn't want them, because someone in front of me will play 'em. I see this so often at venues where these monster oldies get played by the first available name DJ on the night, leaving the other "monster oldie" DJ's with 'em going ashen, and scrabbling around dusting off the cobwebs at the middle and back end of their playbox. Get something else to play, lead rather than follow.

- Frank Wilson, yeah the less said about that the better, I notice your comment was tongue in cheek so guess you agree it ain't the rarest by a long way - but it is the most HYPED record ever. I wonder what would have happened if Kenny didn't take it with him and told the punters "Nah am bored with it, left it at home".

Said it before, it's all about having a passion for the music, building a collection, buying what you like, learning, watching. etc. And pushing the envelope a bit - always put something new in. Stay away from the "Pollyfilla Principle" - i.e. buy what you like, not what you think you need to "fill the floor". That is why so many DJs are collectors first and DJ's second (again I exclude the handbag nights where it may be different). There simply is no short cut by trying to build a box of "Top of the Pops" hits.

So will we start to see you treading the boards again, or lingering in dark corners of the record areas at Niters such as Lifeline and the 100 Club, or are you going to remain "covered up" behind your keyboard firing off these 'damp squibs'? :no:

Steve

Ouch!

You don't have to be quite so brutal Stevie! :thumbup:

You mis-read me mate. My days of upfront Northern Soul deejaying are long gone and I've really no desire to go back to it. Couldn't afford it these days anyway! :P

It was a brilliant experience to be deejaying back then but I actually left that part of the scene at the right time for me and nothing's really changed my views since. These days I far prefer to bounce around different scenes and have a bit of an overview that I otherwise wouldn't have if I was too enmeshed in any one particular scene. I quite like doing the odd oldies night and turning up at a few events to see how things are going but that's about it these days. That way it's still fun and less of an obsession LOL....

I was just thinking aloud really, partially due to some of the threads on here and wondering whether the money needed to buy records at the upper levels is actually attainable for many people. Luckily I've been out of the big ticket records game for 35 years now (apart from brokering a few deals here and there) so I'm just curious as to how aspiring new DJ's manage to finance their enthusiasm for top records that's all.

With difficulty by the sound of it.

How's life by the way?

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

hehehehe no im not poor kris just a tight sod who wont waste money on anything? be it clothes,records,hols,i want the bargain so regarding northern soul if there was a hundred pound record in a box and then in the next box the same record is a pressing or reissue im having the latter saving meself 90 quid,thats how my little brain ticks.Like ive mentioned some of my friends are serious collectors and have discovered the likes of herb hunter and lester tipton,oh and one or two shitty ones i think they would be embarrased about nowadays? ktf.

Social source share

Not be playing Tomangoes in Ibiza then Ian?...:thumbup: ,,,maybe provide a little taster on the events page?

I dunno Kev. There is a Soul do on in Ibiza at the end of September/beginning of October which looks like fun and there might be the opportunity to do a Northern set since the line-up is pretty varied.

https://www.lovesoulibiza.com/

But I'm also doing a film launch there on the Friday: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTUEHE3kA8

https://www.facebook.com/weekendermovie

And a Philly International Re-Edits & Remixes album launch on the Saturday, so will be pretty tied up. It'd be nice to actually play some of those tunes in the sun since most of those tunes seldom see the daylight LOL....

Ian D :no:

Social source share

Looking back at the points made in this thread I think the answer has to be

Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

No - if you were to start buying big ticket items now to amass a good enough collection to be a top Northern DJ unless you have just won the lotto and have thousands to spend on tunes.

Yes - if you have been collecting for years and already have the tunes to barter with.

But as already mentioned, having a huge collection of big ticket tunes doesn't mean that you have the ability to become a top northern DJ anyway but it will get your foot in the door if you flash your box :thumbup:. Whether it's the oldies or Rare& underplayed scene that you're into, the answers are the same IMHO!

Edited by steveLuigi
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

just to let my friends and enemies on here know whilst attending the alfreton alldayer yesterday i spent a nifty fifty and picked up SPYDER TURNER / I CANT MAKE IT ANYMORE [bLACK MGM] SISTER SLEDGE / LOVE DONT YOU GO THROUGH NO CHANGES ON ME [bRITISH ATLANTIC] THE DELRAYS ENCORPARATED / DESTINATION UNKNOWN [TAMPETE PRESSING] THE MAGNIFICENTS / MY HEART IS CALLING YOU [sOUL CITY reissue] DEE DEE SHARP / STANDING IN THE NEED OF LOVE [RED AND BLACK CAMEO] SMOKEY AND THE FABULOUS BLADES / JERK BABY JERK [DORE PRESSING]all the above records ive previously owned except the dee dee sharp record. Also me being a penny pincher managed to get a fiver knocked off all of them on me dealing with rob smith hehehehe.Right now i have got one or two minor dj spots been asked to do? so whos gonna slaughter me first today? oh just before you do i am gonn try and not play any pressings... am i learning lads and lasses? ktf tommo.

Social source share

Hi

I hate to introduce an air of morbidity to this thread but...... what happens to all of these records when the Djs go to the big allnighter in the sky /

To quote a Mansfield ex dj - "they're all landfill youth".Enjoy!!!

Social source share

Hi

I hate to introduce an air of morbidity to this thread but...... what happens to all of these records when the Djs go to the big allnighter in the sky /

God gets to enjoy himself, hopefully he'll give up the wrath, do a splits and up into a nifty spin........

Social source share

just to let my friends and enemies on here know whilst attending the alfreton alldayer yesterday i spent a nifty fifty and picked up SPYDER TURNER / I CANT MAKE IT ANYMORE [bLACK MGM] SISTER SLEDGE / LOVE DONT YOU GO THROUGH NO CHANGES ON ME [bRITISH ATLANTIC] THE DELRAYS ENCORPARATED / DESTINATION UNKNOWN [TAMPETE PRESSING] THE MAGNIFICENTS / MY HEART IS CALLING YOU [sOUL CITY reissue] DEE DEE SHARP / STANDING IN THE NEED OF LOVE [RED AND BLACK CAMEO] SMOKEY AND THE FABULOUS BLADES / JERK BABY JERK [DORE PRESSING]all the above records ive previously owned except the dee dee sharp record. Also me being a penny pincher managed to get a fiver knocked off all of them on me dealing with rob smith hehehehe.Right now i have got one or two minor dj spots been asked to do? so whos gonna slaughter me first today? oh just before you do i am gonn try and not play any pressings... am i learning lads and lasses? ktf tommo.

May i be the first Tommo?...You play what you like mi duck.Where is it you'll be joking? Sorry jocking.?

Social source share

Guest soul over easy

love it kev brill mate i will disclose those venues nearer to the time so people can come along and throw rotten eggs at me? mind you am hoping some might throw ovo to help me out? cheers kev me duck...

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

love it kev brill mate i will disclose those venues nearer to the time so people can come along and throw rotten eggs at me? mind you am hoping some might throw ovo to help me out? cheers kev me duck...

id rather have eggs thrown at me than some of the ovo out there :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

id rather have eggs thrown at me than some of the ovo out there :rolleyes:

Social source share

Seriously, is that the ethic of the upfront venues these days. I was at early lifeline nighters at Sheridan's and then the Fox, don't recall that being the edict. 100 club regular for years, again never seen the dancefloor ignored, yeah you've got to believe in what you're playing, but if you take none or little notice of the dance floor then the bookings will, or should dry up. I'll be amazed if Andy D, Butch, Chalky or any of the other upfront DJs would hold this view??

Winnie :rolleyes:

The emphasis at Lifeline is of course the dance floor, the dance floor rules.

You cannot play to collectors on the balcony or in any other record bar and have a successful night. Of course Lifeline puts the emphasis on the lesser known, rarities, £5 to £25,000 but not the stuff you hear at almost every other venue week in week out. We want something different, we want the DJ's to get into their collection and pull out stuff they normally wouldn't but they have to be dance floor orientated, if they don't work well there's not a lot we can do about that, we have at least tried and that is what Lifeline is all about , there's a 1001 other venues that play the same old same tried and trusted Northern Soul.

Of course you cannot go for 8 hours with records nobody knows so there has to be a balance and we think we have that balance about right.

Social source share

The emphasis at Lifeline is of course the dance floor, the dance floor rules.

You cannot play to collectors on the balcony or in any other record bar and have a successful night. Of course Lifeline puts the emphasis on the lesser known, rarities, £5 to £25,000 but not the stuff you hear at almost every other venue week in week out. We want something different, we want the DJ's to get into their collection and pull out stuff they normally wouldn't but they have to be dance floor orientated, if they don't work well there's not a lot we can do about that, we have at least tried and that is what Lifeline is all about , there's a 1001 other venues that play the same old same tried and trusted Northern Soul.

Of course you cannot go for 8 hours with records nobody knows so there has to be a balance and we think we have that balance about right.

that's all I was saying Chalky :lol::rolleyes:

Social source share

I don't know any DJ who has set out to play entirely to himself and clear the floor. I know of many promoters who have book a DJ to play certain records when the records are not suited for the venue, thats hardly the DJ's fault and he's on a loser to start with but the punters never have a go at the promoter, always the DJ who gets it in the neck!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I don't know any DJ who has set out to play entirely to himself and clear the floor. I know of many promoters who have book a DJ to play certain records when the records are not suited for the venue, thats hardly the DJ's fault and he's on a loser to start with but the punters never have a go at the promoter, always the DJ who gets it in the neck!!

just out of curiosity Chalky will you be playing a Lifleline kind of set at Burnley on Saturday or digging araound for something completely different ??

btw totally agree with the above post :rolleyes:

Social source share

I dont think that anyone has really touched on the fact that just cos you may be lucky enough to own some rare records you may not have paid top wack for em, whilst when I'm a bit flush I may spend more, generally speaking your trying to find good unknowns at a reasonable price that may turn out to be rare when you create the demand through Djing with em !!!......also even if you happen to own a top drawer in demand rariety if your savvy (lucky) enough you will have found it cheaply through diggin, diggin, diggin.....!!!.

For most of us, some you have owned for years, others you may have got lucky, others you may pay the going price, its always been about collecting this way for the 'normal' collectors/DJ's. You have to put the work in........even more so these day's.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

just out of curiosity Chalky will you be playing a Lifleline kind of set at Burnley on Saturday or digging araound for something completely different ??

btw totally agree with the above post :rolleyes:

Dunno haven't thought too much about it to be honest. It will be 60's all the way I think and of the right tempo hopefully thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Dunno haven't thought too much about it to be honest. It will be 60's all the way I think and of the right tempo hopefully thumbsup.gif

trying hard to get there myself Saturday so look forward to hearing your set and to be honest i dont know what to expect its gonna be me first visit and cant wait to be entertained by the djs i aint got a clue whats gonna get played but thats how i like it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi

they will always be collectable..........but like a lot of fine art they will be sought after for their value only except by an odd few...........doubt they will ever get played out they way us lot have known........peggy

Social source share

Ouch!

You don't have to be quite so brutal Stevie! :hatsoff2:

You mis-read me mate.

Ian D :lol:

Ok fair enough Ian. Just keep seeing these posts about "how much money" etc about DJs, rather than about how good an "ear", how good an "eye" - reading the floor, mixing it up a bit but not going totally off piste etc. Heard you were pretty good back in the day too :lol: . But y'know I actually think it was probably far easier in the 70s with Soul Bowl, Manny, and all the others turning up and supplying the jocks with an endless playbox of records, overnight hits that broke into monsters within a fortnight once played at Wigan four times a night, loads of unknowns turning up every week etc. in fact maybe all you needed THEN was the dosh to buy them eh?

The scene is far more fractured these days and one persons great unknown is another persons pile of cack. Some of this so called "underplayed" is great, some of it is truly awful. A great tune can clear the floor, and a bad one can fill it. But the message remains the same - that apart from a few "get out of jail" records that every DJ needs in their box, try whenever you can to play records you personally believe in whether they are £10 or £5,000.

ATB

STeve

Social source share

Ok fair enough Ian. Just keep seeing these posts about "how much money" etc about DJs, rather than about how good an "ear", how good an "eye" - reading the floor, mixing it up a bit but not going totally off piste etc. Heard you were pretty good back in the day too :hatsoff2: . But y'know I actually think it was probably far easier in the 70s with Soul Bowl, Manny, and all the others turning up and supplying the jocks with an endless playbox of records, overnight hits that broke into monsters within a fortnight once played at Wigan four times a night, loads of unknowns turning up every week etc. in fact maybe all you needed THEN was the dosh to buy them eh?

The scene is far more fractured these days and one persons great unknown is another persons pile of cack. Some of this so called "underplayed" is great, some of it is truly awful. A great tune can clear the floor, and a bad one can fill it. But the message remains the same - that apart from a few "get out of jail" records that every DJ needs in their box, try whenever you can to play records you personally believe in whether they are £10 or £5,000.

ATB

STeve

Yeah but it's gonna be difficult not to make comparisons with a scene that's lasted 40 years plus and those comparisons are always going to be influenced by whichever point someone came on the scene.

There's no doubt whatsoever that records were easier to find back then that's for sure and similarly there's little doubt that you could pick up great records from a variety of sources very cheaply which meant that it was theoretically possible to pick up a great box of records for relatively little money in the early 70's if you were prepared to dig around and cultivate a number of sources. Just to clear up a misconception though, Global and Soul Bowl were the only regular commercial sources for rare stuff up to the mid 70's and then only if you had a good relationship with Rick Cooper or John Anderson. The majority of records up until then came from disparate sources which would either be shops that stocked U.S. imports (Robinsons, Selectadisc), market stalls (Bostocks, Cheapo Cheapo, Jim Wilson) or the handful of private collector/dealers like Brian Phillips, Julian Bentley, Jack Bollington, Brad from Burnley etc, etc. However, probably a good 50% of any playbox would come from random buys from the boxes of numerous other collectors, generally at different all-nighters and all-dayers.

In relative terms compared to today it was much much cheaper. In cash terms I was always hoarding money for the next purchase and there might be an odd purchase that would keep me broke for a couple of weeks but nothing worse than that. Most records were around the £2-£20 mark up to about 1974, then the prices started creeping up the £30-£50 mark. It started going nuts in 1975 IMO, when prices started going stratospheric and creeping up to the £100+ mark. After that, James Fountain then really accelerated the whole thing by establishing a new benchmark @ £500. After that the gloves came off LOL.

Another thing that I think changed the price of records hugely was the introduction of Rare Soul price guides which were probably single-handedly responsible for sharing previously little-known information with the U.S. dealers, thus helping close the era of picking up cheap bargains in the U.S. The next things were the internet and e-bay which between 'em, simply spread the information wider and turned the world into record hounds.

I definitely agree that it's much more difficult to come up with great cheap finds these days but good luck to all who try!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian give us a list of your box from 75 and we can tot up how much it would cost in todays prices to replace then we can vote if you would make a top oldies dj if you still had your box.

LOL, OK then. Off the top of my head here's a few:-

"You Didn't Say A Word" - Yvonne Baker Parkway

"Ain't Nothing You Can Do" - Joe Mathews Kool Kat

"I Can't Change" - Lorraine Chandler RCA

"Stubborn Heart" - Ernest Mosely La Cindy

"Do The Pearl Girl" - Matta Baby Penny

"Broadway Cissy" - Rosco & Co Tec

"Ton Of Dynamite" - Frankie "Loveman Crocker Turbo

"I'm Not Strong Enouh" - The Four Perfections Party Time

"If That's What You Wanted" - Frank Beverly & The Butlers Sassy

"Let Our Love Grow Higher" - Eula Cooper Super Soul

"Too Darn Soulful" - Morris Chestnut Amy

"Nothing Can Help You Now" - Lenny Curtis End

"I'm Catching On" - Betty Lloyd BSC

"Set My Heart At Ease" - Mikky Farrow Karate

"Cool Off" - Detroit Executives Pameline

"Never Too Young (To Fall In Love)" - The Modern Redcaps Swan

"The Spy" - The Guys From UNCLE Swan

"Don't You Care Anymore" - Jodi Mathis Capitol

"I Really Love You" - The Tomagoes Washpan

"So Is The Sun" - World Column Tower

"I Travel Alone" - Lou Ragland Amy

"Time Will Pass You By" - Tobi Legend Mala

"Talkin' About Poor Folk" - Lou Edwards & Today's People Columbia

"Take Me Home" - Donna Kng Hot-Line

"I'm Com'un Home In The Mor'nun" - Lou Pride Suemi

"Thumb A Ride" - Earl Wright Capitol

"I Had A Good Time" - Little Eddie Taylor Peacock

"Gee Baby" - The Malibus Sure Shot

"My Heart Cries For You" - Porgy & The Monarchs Musicor

"Call Me Tomorrow" - Major Harris Okeh

"Come Back" - Ken Williams Okeh

"Stick By Me Baby" - The Salvadores Wise World

"That's Why I Love You" - The Professionals Groove City

"Send Him Back" - The Pointer Sisters Atlantic

"It Really Hurts Me Girl" - The Carstairs Red Coach

"Please Give Me One More Chance" - Clyde McPhatter Deram

"Lend A Hand" Bobby Hutton ABC

Our Love Is In The Pocket" - J.J.Barnes Revilot

"Sister Lee" - Sam Ward Groove City

"Marble & Iron" - Carl Douglas Buddah

"Night Owl" - Booby Paris Cameo

"Bari Track" - Doni Burdick Sound Impression

"Skiing In The Snow" - The Invitations Dyno Voice

"Nothing Can Compare To You" - The Velvet Satins General American

"I Never Knew" - Eddie Foster In

"Wrong Crowd" - Prince George DPG

"Gonna Be A Big Thing" - The Yum Yums ABC

"What Good Am I" - Mickie Champion Musette

"They're Talking About Me" - Johnny Bragg Elbejay

"Love Factory" - Eloise Laws Music Merchant

"Help Me" - Al Wilson Wand

"You Don't Love Me Anymore" - Johnny Caswell Decca

"Baby Don't You Weep" - Edward Hamilton & The Arabians Mary Jane

"Don't Bring Me Down" - Rita Dacosta Mohawk

"You Don't Mean It" - Towanda Barnes A&M

"Manifesto" - James Lewis & The Case Of Tyme Legend

"You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurt Me)" - Alice Clark WB

"Watch Out Girl" - The Embers MGM

"Tears (Nothing But Tears)" - Lee Roye Decca

"I Thought You Were Mine" - The Natural Four ABC

"Look At Me Now" - Terry Callier Cadet

"Something Good's Got A Hold On Me" - Jeanette Williams Back Beat

"Being Without You" - Maurice Williams Deesu

"Now You've Got The Upper Hand" - Candi Staton Unity

"Job Opening Pts 1 & 2" - The Del-Larks Queen City

"The Larue" - Lada Edmund Jr Decca

"I Hurt On The Other Side" - Jerry Cook Capitol

"I'm Spellbound" - Tamiko Jones Golden World

"Lord What's Happening To Your People" - Kenny Smith GAR

"I Watched You Slowly Slip Away" - Howard Guyton Verve

"Don't It Make You Feel Funky" - Joe Hicks AGC

"Living a Lie" - The High Keys Verve

"Potion Of Love" - The Ambers Smash

"Right On" - Al De Lory Capitol

"I Just Can't Live My Life" - Linda Jones WB

"Rosemary What Happened" - Richard Popcorn Wylie Karen

"Not Me Baby" - The Silhouettes Goodway

"My Heart's Not In It Anymore" - The Steinways Oliver

"Wash & Wear Love" - Lynne Vernado Gator

Phew. That'll do for the time being. I've left out stuff that was run of the mill i.e. £2-£10 and I've probably forgotten more than I can remember anyway. I shudder to think what my first 70's collection would be worth now.

How's the maths adding up Kev? :hatsoff2:

This is proving to be a painful exercise already LOL........

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

to be honest Ian your better off buying pressings it would only set you back about £500 tops for that lot and as most peeps couldnt give a shit about ovo so you will be headlining at masssive nighters somewhere soon :D

Social source share

Ian a strong list of classic oldies. I am sure if you still had those records you could - if you wanted to - get some bookings at "oldies nights". So if your post about if you want to become an "oldies DJ" then I kind of get where you are coming from. But the scene has moved on so much in those 40 years you have spoken about. For me there are a number of fine records on that list (not all), but playing out I'd only drop at max one or two of them into a set as "fillers" really and only if neccesary. I know that may sound harsh if you like your oldies or are a scene 'returnee', but as I say things have moved a long way on for many of us......Who was it who said the best record I ever bought is the last one, or the one I am about to buy? ATB, Steve

Social source share

to be honest Ian your better off buying pressings it would only set you back about £500 tops for that lot and as most peeps couldnt give a shit about ovo so you will be headlining at masssive nighters somewhere soon :D

I already have 'em all in one form or other Bearsy. The last thing I need is more records mate. I've got over 10K gumming up the house as it is.....

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Ian a strong list of classic oldies. I am sure if you still had those records you could - if you wanted to - get some bookings at "oldies nights". So if your post about if you want to become an "oldies DJ" then I kind of get where you are coming from. But the scene has moved on so much in those 40 years you have spoken about. For me there are a number of fine records on that list (not all), but playing out I'd only drop at max one or two of them into a set as "fillers" really and only if neccesary. I know that may sound harsh if you like your oldies or are a scene 'returnee', but as I say things have moved a long way on for many of us......Who was it who said the best record I ever bought is the last one, or the one I am about to buy? ATB, Steve

I only compiled that list 'cos Kev asked me to old bean. I actually already have 'em all in one form or another. The excercise is how much would it cost to amass a similar collection of OVO at today's prices.

For sure things have moved on since LOL. That list is from 36 years ago so if things hadn't moved on it'd be weird.

Social source share

After that, James Fountain then really accelerated the whole thing by establishing a new benchmark @ £500.

Don't think so...

What makes you think that Pete? :D

There were two known copies of James Fountain at the time - Levine and Curtis's and Colin sold his for £500 a couple of weeks before Cream reissued it. As far as I know, I don't think £500 had been breeched at that point. It was big news at the time.

Social source share

think you're using a bit of poetic licence regarding the betty lloyd ian, when you were back over from the states mid 90's , you came to the griffin nighter with gary field, i played you betty lloyd that night on my sound burger, that was the first time you'd heard it

Nah, I've known that record since '74 ish. It used to be a last hour @ Blackpool Mecca record in the 70's and I had a copy circa Cleethorpes period but never really played it. Quite possibly it could have been another record but certainly not Betty Lloyd.

Incidentally, that was the day I sold a whole heap of great 70's stuff to Pat Brady and the same night I sold my cracked copy of Joe Mathews to Gary (for £175 I think). I remember the night well 'cos I got busted in Chapeltown @ 8.00am on Sunday morning coming out of Cliff's. The cops stopped the car I was in, found some spliff in the back and arrested everyone, saw that I was from London and then found £8K in cash in my hotel room! Took some explaining that I'd merely sold some records..........

Social source share

What makes you think that Pete? :D

There were two known copies of James Fountain at the time - Levine and Curtis's and Colin sold his for £500 a couple of weeks before Cream reissued it. As far as I know, I don't think £500 had been breeched at that point. It was big news at the time.

James Fountain was £170 wasn't it?

You keep going on about the financial side of things - you know Trevor Francis was the first million £ football player - but so what?

I only compiled that list 'cos Kev asked me to old bean. I actually already have 'em all in one form or another. The excercise is how much would it cost to amass a similar collection of OVO at today's prices.

WHy would anyone want to amass that list today though Ian? Sure there are some classics on there but are you saying or implying they are the best records ever or something? As we've all said there are plenty of cheaper good records you could buy, and in fact some on that list ain't rare at all.....who sang "Round and round in circles" - was it the Exportations or something - I should know I have a copy in the lock up on EMI. But it seems like this discussion is becoming a bit round and round in circles.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!