Do You Have Enough Money To Be A Top Northern Soul Dj?

LOL, I think it's pretty simple really.

The greatest DJ in the world with 3K worth of records probably wouldn't have the same appeal as the worst DJ in the world with 30K worth of records.

Does that make it any easier? :lol:

Ian D :D

I had to read that three times :huh: but to me - No, the 'Greatest D.J in the World' with 3K worth of records would have more appeal. Unfortunaely the 'Worse D.J in The World' with 30K worth of records would have more appeal to a some folk... That's the unfortunate thing.

Can this thread end now please?...:)

Len.

Social source share

having nice records helps i think. i mean do people think that the likes of mick h, andy dyson & butch have stage presence..... because i dont... but then again they dont need it.always thought soul sam had it just because he is always jigging around at 70.... sorry 69 years of age. in the 80s and 90`s it was the likes of tim brown at the forefront.and he had the stage presence of a tin o baked beans............ no offence intended

dave

Social source share

The greatest Northern DJ probably spent 3k in the last 5 years and its now 50k . His name is Mark Dobson :):huh:

Ah, so now we're getting to the gist of things. So, over a number of years, smart buying, good analytical skills and a keen ear can redress the balance between someone who swans in with a ton of cash. Makes sense if you're playing a long game for sure.

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

having nice records helps i think. i mean do people think that the likes of mick h, andy dyson & butch have stage presence..... because i dont... but then again they dont need it.always thought soul sam had it just because he is always jigging around at 70.... sorry 69 years of age. in the 80s and 90`s it was the likes of tim brown at the forefront.and he had the stage presence of a tin o baked beans............ no offence intended

dave

To the tin of beans or Brownie Dave ? :)

Malc

Social source share

dave

That's a very good point.

Len.

p.s - I think the original post was about value of records though, wasn't it?

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Ah, so now we're getting to the gist of things. So, over a number of years, smart buying, good analytical skills and a keen ear can redress the balance between someone who swans in with a ton of cash. Makes sense if you're playing a long game for sure.

Ian D :lol:

You'd have to have huge knowledge of the Northern scene from 70's to now ( with no gaps ) . :) In my opinion its almost impossible to find records like the Parliaments "rainy day " now ! Maybe thats why peolple are giving up, having some tea and a hob nob and putting some deep soul on :huh:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

You'd have to have huge knowledge of the Northern scene from 70's to now ( with no gaps ) . :huh: In my opinion its almost impossible to find records like the Parliaments "rainy day " now !

:)

Maybe thats why peolple are giving up, having some tea and a hob nob and putting some deep soul on :D

:lol::D

Social source share

Ian D :huh:

Well, you could have saved yourself 9 more pages of content as this is what I actually said in my very first and so far only contribution to this thread LOL

NB still a worthwhile and most of the time funny little thread though :)

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

its fair to say he`s head and shoulders above anyone else.l wish i got to see the likes of him and andy dyson more often

dave

cant make the 100 Club in August but it was persuasion enough (if one is needed at all..) to book for the 100 Club´s anniversary in September :)...and yes, if I would be living in the UK I would "run" to every single Lifeline event to catch them both, Andy and Mark !

Social source share

..as I wrote in my last posting (in the lookback-events thread) .. I am still waiting. But most tunes in question were C/UP s or acetate anyway LOL !

It still would be interesting . Did he play the Total Warmth coverup . Thats been uncoverd !! :huh:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Well, you could have saved yourself 9 more pages of content as this is what I actually said in my very first and so far only contribution to this thread LOL

NB still a worthwhile and most of the time funny little thread though :thumbsup:

LOL, I know Marc. I kinda knew the answer(s) before I posted but I thought it'd be fun to throw it open.......

Bloody annoying though. I can't find that friggin' Parliaments record in any of the local charity shops.........:lol:

Social source share

cant make the 100 Club in August but it was persuasion enough (if one is needed at all..) to book for the 100 Club´s anniversary in September :)...and yes, if I would be living in the UK I would "run" to every single Lifeline event to catch them both, Andy and Mark !

thats the trouble with me.... i dont drive so i do have to run everywhere..............and at 18 stone its too far for me even to run to andy dyson`s house and he only lives 10 miles from me

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

It still would be interesting . Did he play the Total Warmth coverup . Thats been uncoverd !! :huh:

funny you ask that...as it is the second or third last picture we have from the night showing that record. Its been a C/UP ever since 2007 so four years aint too bad in these internet days :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

LOL, I think it's pretty simple really.

The greatest DJ in the world with 3K worth of records probably wouldn't have the same appeal as the worst DJ in the world with 30K worth of records.

Does that make it any easier? wink.gif

Ian D beer.gif

but if you been spending that much for 30 years (10%) then that adds up and if inflation comes into it then you could have a collection worth millions :D

Social source share

but if you been spending that much for 30 years (10%) then that adds up and if inflation comes into it then you could have a collection worth millions :D

Well, some of those who have managed to maintain their collections over that time without ever selling anything and have the time and space to house it all probably are sat on a fortune at current prices. Certainly Browny's collection (especially with his Deep Soul stuff) probably wouldn't have been far off that mark when it was at it's prime.

I've always found that trying to maintain even a relatively modest collection is still equivalent to a part-time job which sometimes takes over your life and house (that's if you like to have everything neatly filed). As we speak, I've around 1000 records that need filing back in which are just piled up around the house - the source of constant arguements in the Dewhirst household! Time for another clearout is coming.........

Social source share

dave

Stage presence of a tin of beans? (Whiff of scandal there methinks)......They're all NS (?) jocks,not Shakespearean actors.

I think just being civil to people is enough - in any walk of life.

After that,everythings a bonus.

But being told to blllx by a top dj,is always something i'll savour.:D

Social source share

Hello Marc, yes a number of us have been saying broadly the same thing to Ian. :thumbsup:

Some people just don't have the stamina once they realise there is no short cut......Steve

Social source share

Hello Marc, yes a number of us have been saying broadly the same thing to Ian. :thumbsup:

Some people just don't have the stamina once they realise there is no short cut......Steve

I don't really understand what you're getting at Steve. What do you mean? :g:

As far as I'm concerned it's am interesting thread that's all.

Social source share

Don't be so defensive Ian. Not trying to fit the cap on yer head :lol: You've confirmed you don't want to be a northern soul DJ.

All I was saying was that I have seen plenty turn up from nowheresville with a box of recently purchased expensive (and often predictable) tunes, suddenly start appearing "at an event near you", and then just as suddenly disappearing again, with their records appearing on Manny's auction site, or somewhere else a few weeks later.

Steve

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The greatest Northern DJ probably spent 3k in the last 5 years and its now 50k . His name is Mark Dobson :):huh:

IS THIS LENNY'S BROTHER?

Social source share

Hmmm...starting out as a young Northern Soul Dj in 2011. I'd say it's a game of Snakes and ladders but with one ladder and about one hundred snakes .

ps. Bearsy no comments on "The snake" please :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

dave

Nice fella though TIM is...........he NEVER played a good set..........just put one record on after the other...........there is a difference wink.gif

Social source share

Don't be so defensive Ian. Not trying to fit the cap on yer head :lol: You've confirmed you don't want to be a northern soul DJ.

All I was saying was that I have seen plenty turn up from nowheresville with a box of recently purchased expensive (and often predictable) tunes, suddenly start appearing "at an event near you", and then just as suddenly disappearing again, with their records appearing on Manny's auction site, or somewhere else a few weeks later.

Steve

Thought you may have the wrong idea that's all. I'm a little bit long in the tooth to go through all that again and my disposable income tends to go in other directions LOL....:yes:

In fact the point you allude to is one of the points of the thread. There's always been 'chequebook' DJ's who come and go but presumably they'd need a very fat chequebook to get in the game at the top level these days surely?

Social source share

Hmmm...starting out as a young Northern Soul Dj in 2011. I'd say it's a game of Snakes and ladders but with one ladder and about one hundred snakes .

A good metaphor there Simon. Plus, of course, there's no modern day equivalent to Soul Bowl is there? i.e. nowhere to buy tons of unknowns at a reasonable price..........

Social source share

A good metaphor there Simon. Plus, of course, there's no modern day equivalent to Soul Bowl is there? i.e. nowhere to buy tons of unknowns at a reasonable price..........

Despite all the stuff I and others have said about the importance of a good ear and good taste there is no getting away from the fact that you do indeed require a good deal of disposable income to compete in the 'rare northern' arena in 2011. Whether that comes from a large income or the ability to use a large collection built up over years as sale or trade fodder is moot, but you've certainly got to have readies in some form.

Ian's point about the lack of a modern day Soul Bowl equivalent is a good one, but the fact is that there are no longer any examples of the kind of thing that used to be the Bowl's stock-in-trade: records which are good, unknown and around in quantity. The pattern was to supply djs, get the records popularised and then sell in quantity. That model no longer exists.

The internet and auction sites like ebay have changed things forever. It's fair to say that crap records have never been cheaper, but equally that good, interesting records have never been more expensive.

This week the Bernard Drake 45 appeared on ebay for the first time since it went on my wants list five or six years ago. I knew that it would go for money and was looking at records in my own collection I might have to move on in order to put in a realistic bid for it. It finally went for over 22 hundred dollars, a bit of a shock (and not actually that far short of the Nolan Chance Bunky 45 on JM's, a proven rarity of nearly forty years standing). Now the Bernard Drake 45 is not even necessarily a niter record, just a nice southern lilter, but it's an interesting illustration of the apparent market rate for a record which, while not totally unknown, is apparently missing from the collections of many of the premier record hounds.

Outside the good and expensive and the cheap and crap there is that vast reservoir of records in the middle: the known, affordable and uninspiring. The kinds of 45s that we've all bought but can't sell. My fear is that it is these kinds of records which a lot of people are using to deejay with these days and it's not good for the scene in the long run.

Apart from a few mega-collections at the very top end there is an undeniable lack of depth in the deejaying ranks. Alongside to the attributes needed to compete in 2011 there should be added a ruthless honesty about your own collection. The uncomfortable fact is that the niter scene has stagnated to the extent that it now takes years rather than weeks to break a record nationally. A lot of DJs can now get away with not adding terribly much to their sets over time. I'm sure that the top men could if they wished turn things over much more quickly but is the scene in 2011 actually geared up to accept that?

Social source share

Despite all the stuff I and others have said about the importance of a good ear and good taste there is no getting away from the fact that you do indeed require a good deal of disposable income to compete in the 'rare northern' arena in 2011. Whether that comes from a large income or the ability to use a large collection built up over years as sale or trade fodder is moot, but you've certainly got to have readies in some form.

Ian's point about the lack of a modern day Soul Bowl equivalent is a good one, but the fact is that there are no longer any examples of the kind of thing that used to be the Bowl's stock-in-trade: records which are good, unknown and around in quantity. The pattern was to supply djs, get the records popularised and then sell in quantity. That model no longer exists.

The internet and auction sites like ebay have changed things forever. It's fair to say that crap records have never been cheaper, but equally that good, interesting records have never been more expensive.

This week the Bernard Drake 45 appeared on ebay for the first time since it went on my wants list five or six years ago. I knew that it would go for money and was looking at records in my own collection I might have to move on in order to put in a realistic bid for it. It finally went for over 22 hundred dollars, a bit of a shock (and not actually that far short of the Nolan Chance Bunky 45 on JM's, a proven rarity of nearly forty years standing). Now the Bernard Drake 45 is not even necessarily a niter record, just a nice southern lilter, but it's an interesting illustration of the apparent market rate for a record which, while not totally unknown, is apparently missing from the collections of many of the premier record hounds.

Outside the good and expensive and the cheap and crap there is that vast reservoir of records in the middle: the known, affordable and uninspiring. The kinds of 45s that we've all bought but can't sell. My fear is that it is these kinds of records which a lot of people are using to deejay with these days and it's not good for the scene in the long run.

Apart from a few mega-collections at the very top end there is an undeniable lack of depth in the deejaying ranks. Alongside to the attributes needed to compete in 2011 there should be added a ruthless honesty about your own collection. The uncomfortable fact is that the niter scene has stagnated to the extent that it now takes years rather than weeks to break a record nationally. A lot of DJs can now get away with not adding terribly much to their sets over time. I'm sure that the top men could if they wished turn things over much more quickly but is the scene in 2011 actually geared up to accept that?

Fantastic post Gareth and some very good points raised. :thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Gareth......unless i am mistaken i think ive seen two on ebay this month and both for similair money ??

Social source share

^

You're right Nev, but the interesting thing is they went for similar money. How many more will emerge now a couple of four figure auction results are achieved?

It was a vanity press of 300 to start with, Bernard hasn't got any so it depends how many got in land before Katrina hit. We'll just have to wait and see :g:

Dave

Social source share

Guest wrighty

^

You're right Nev, but the interesting thing is they went for similar money. How many more will emerge now a couple of four figure auction results are achieved?

the one that just finished actually went for nearly $1000 more nev, was hoping it would go for a lot less myself, guess i'll have to forget about upgrading :no:

great post gareth :thumbsup:

Social source share

^

A lot of good points raised in your previous post.RE: "records not being good enough".It could be that the intentions are good,and some dj's may go out on a limb,to try out "newer" stuff to entertain, the now, more knowlegdeable punters.These sometimes bomb,sometimes they hit the spot on the night.No more than that.Anyone with any scruples will know where they stand when they get behind the decks...DJ'S KNOW THY PLACE....KNOW THE PECKING ORDER.

Creating the longevity of a tune belongs to the premier dj / collectors.Everyone else is hanging on to their coat tails.Maybe one reason a tune takes a long time to break on the nighter scene is the very fact these tunes are rare,and you have to follow a certain dj to hear them.I like it like that.

BITD these would have been booted for £2 almost straight away.

Where is there a soundbite of Bernard Drake Gareth :D ??

Social source share

been reading this thread all week and some very interesting points here is my opinion...

i think most of us on here know it takes more than expensive tunes to make a GOOD dj but the original question wasnt about being a good dj but about being one of the TOP djs...

so how do you decide who the TOP djs are?....deciding on good djs is easy its all down to our personal tastes..(.providing the ability to make a set and use the equipement are there which they should always be!)......expensive tunes dont come into it....one mans meat is anothers poison and all that!

so would the top djs be those who had residencys at the biggest nights?...or booked up for months in advanced at venues all over the country..the in demanders?...if so then i would say you DO need big money tunes and I will never be able to afford to be one of the top djs...checkout all their playlists(if they put them on here)..even if they played some of the great cheaper tunes out there i bet most would still be £500+.(which to me is bloody expensive!!)

please dont get me wrong ..theres no sour grapes here,i love djing ive done it for over 20 years in different scenes but know AND like my place i will carry on doing my thing hopeing people enjoy it... as much as i'd like to play bigger venues every week i understand why promoters tend to keep booking the big boys...a lot of the paying punters (most of which never post on soulsource) wanna hear the big tunes whether they actually know the value or not and be it an oldies crowd or underplayed/rare...most promoters are not in it to get rich but they still have bills to pay and dont wanna lose so maybe play safer that a lot of the djs thet promote!

so there it is right or wrong whether you agree or not..my opinion :)

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!