Some Blue-Eyed Northern Soul, Anyone?

• Replies 241
  • Views 30.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Have that Mel Torme LP-

Different take on Comin Home Baby and a reasonable version of Better Use Your Head :lol:

Tony

Yeh speed it up a bit,little red books ok also secret agent man and you got the power, is Graham Bonney German ? the whole LP is naff German crap save super girl in glorious stereo yes.gif

£4 this morning M- and Graham Bonney £1.50 M- smile.gif

Social source share

There's a thread on all our yesterdays "Best Sound by a White Artist before '73" which has been going for a while.

You'll find loads more on that, the reason for staarting before the end of '73 was the load of pop crap played at Wigan after '73, including Tony Blackburns verion of "I'll Do Anything"

What a lot of people don't realise or undersatnd, is that this was the way to get black music recognised in the UK, when small labels couldn't afford to promote and the bigger ones didn't want to .

We all know of the rip offs etc, but Bessie Banks -Go Now and the Valentinos- It's Al Over Now, by the Moody Blues and the Stones respectively, did help gain greater recognition for the original artists.

Obviously, this changed with lots of white artists creating their own recoreds with the same sounds.

One that hasn't been mentioned on either thread is

Spiral Staircase- More Today than Yesterday.

Plus the Ventures

ps Met Andy Fairweatherlow at Bletsoe alnighter in 72 with a bag full of g&c's

Shelly

Social source share

Don't think anyone's mentioned that there are quite a few big 70s records by white artists, in fact some of the biggest ever such as The Anderson Brothers on GSF or Benny Troy on Delite. Also add to the mix the likes of James Walsh Gypsy Band, Roger Troy, The Nicky Newarkers, The Fifth Avenue Band, Sons of Robin Stone, George Clinton Band, Pete Warner, Razzy Bailey etc. and it would be eminently possible to do a pretty good spot of entirely blue-eyed 70s anthems.

I've long suspected that The Philharmonics on Soulin' were a white (or at least mixed) group. Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by garethx
Social source share

few for me,least i think they are all 'blue eyed' :thumbsup:

singing swinging counts - along the way

sue lynn - dont pity me

paul anka - i cant help loving you

gary haines - keep on going

jan foreman - your last chance

warner brothers- im going your way

sandpipers - lonely too long

Love this track

Someone said on a previous thread on here that although Jan sounds white, she was in fact black - evidenced by a picture which unfortunately never got posted up

P.S. found the link

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Don't think anyone's mentioned that there are quite a few big 70s records by white artists, in fact some of the biggest ever such as The Anderson Brothers on GSF or Benny Troy on Delite. Also add to the mix the likes of James Walsh Gypsy Band, Roger Troy, The Nicky Newarkers, The Fifth Avenue Band, Sons of Robin Stone, George Clinton Band, Pete Warner, Razzy Bailey etc. and it would be eminently possible to do a pretty good spot of entirely blue-eyed 70s anthems.

I've long suspected that The Philharmonics on Soulin' were a white (or at least mixed) group. Does anyone know for sure?

Doug Parkinson - I'll Be Around.

Anyone said Antony and the Aqualads? Lots of those beach sounds that were popular in the early 80s fit the bill in this thread.

Social source share

This thread is completely mashing my head up I thought Ive been listening to the sound of black America for all these years :thumbup:

My mum says Tom Jones has a black voice , so by that logic do all black singers sound Welsh ? :P

Can a blue man sing the whites ? :D

Besides Black Puddin Bertha didnt Bill Oddie sing something that got a few plays ? :g:

Brilliant thread BTW :no:

Social source share

This thread is completely mashing my head up I thought Ive been listening to the sound of black America for all these years :rolleyes:

Brilliant thread BTW :lol:

True mate, it really makes you think again about what you've been listening to all these years :D

Like I s aid before there's some turkeys here but a lot of good stuff as well yes.gif

Social source share

Now then James Walsh Gypsy Band - spent years trying to sell the LP but no takers - probably because of the cover ?

post-14816-0-15319200-1310374131_thumb.j

Looks like my 1975 school photo :rolleyes:

Social source share

Now then James Walsh Gypsy Band - spent years trying to sell the LP but no takers - probably because of the cover ?

post-14816-0-15319200-1310374131_thumb.j

or because of the price? :rolleyes:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Thanks Gareth & Premium stuff for clearing up that the Salvadors are indeed NOT a blue-eyed group. A top notch tune and definitely in my top ten of Northern Soul tunes!

This one is blue-eyed though....The Lost Souls - Secret Of Mine (Raven)

BRILLIANT!

Social source share

Has anyone mentioned The Nomads yet? Surely one of the very greatest from a golden age.

I tend to separate the Beach records from the rest of the US pop stuff that got played, maybe because they were made for a very specific geographical dance scene (as opposed to national radio), and maybe because they were very heavily influenced by the original Beach scene hits which were practically all 'real' Rhythm 'n' Blues records by the likes of The Showmen, The Clovers, Willie Tee etc.

Having said all that the few genuine Beach sounds from the late 60s with black vocals such as The Mighty Marvelows "Talking 'Bout You Baby" or Reggie Saddler Combo on Panther really ratchet the thing up a gear and make we wish more black groups attempted the genre.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert