Ann Sexton - Gone Too Long Boot?

Simon T

Does anyone know if this is a boot? It's on vinyl, the printing is a bit feint and the number 7 is not multi-coloured, so I am assuming it is. However, it a very good quality recording, so I was wondering if it was legally reissued?

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

as far as i know the reissue was on

sound stage 7..this looks kosha to me.

but they what the f*** do i know.

this one aint multi coloured either its like faded grey

https://cgi.ebay.com/Ann-Sexton-Northern-So...1QQcmdZViewItem

had a discussion with Madship a couple of days ago aboot label slight differences in colours etc.he tells me it was not uncommon for records to have labels with slight variations in the colour of fonts due to the printers like east coast and west coast pressings they also had this with labels.

I have 2 white demos of one record with two different font styles . slightly different typeset..this is not uncommon.. sometimes the printer ran out of ink believe it or not and they would just use what ever they had left.Also it cost more to do more than 2 colours on a label.and some labels genuinely missed certain parts of the printing process for one reason or another.Money/time f*** up on the printers behalf etc,etc

and if they did two runs the second run setup would be cheaper if they only used the two colours..multi coloured labels 3 or more colours cost a fortune more to print up almost 3 times the cost of a 2 colour.

so after all that waffle..I still dont know..haha

the gasher

Edited by The Gasher
Social source share

had a discussion with Madship a couple of days ago aboot label slight differences in colours etc.he tells me it was not uncommon for records to have labels with slight variations in the colour of fonts due to the printers like eqast coast and west coast pressings they also had this with labels.

I have 2 white demos of one record with two different font styles . slightly different typeset..this is not uncommon.. sometimes the printer ran out of ink believe it or not and they would just use what ever they had left.Also it cost more to do more than 2 colours on a label.and some labels genuinely missed certain parts of the printing process for one reason or another.Money/time f*** up on the printers behalf etc,etc

and if they did two runs the second run setup would be cheaper if they only used the two colours..multi coloured labels 3 or more colours cost a fortune more to print up almost 3 times the cost of a 2 colour.

the gasher

Didn't it come out on Impel first ?

Social source share

t a fortune more to print up almost 3 times the cost of a 2 colour.

the gasher

Thanks for that, looks like I may have a couple of spare originals for sale then!

Social source share

• 2 years later...

just recieved a yellow copy in the post and i think very slightly near the beginning has slight pitch wobble and at the fade out out the end definite slow down pitch wobble momentarily. does it do this on the real issue or is it a fake/boot?

any help greatly appreciated

is there any way you can tell for definite (what writing is in the run out)

cheers

mick

Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest Noggin

just recieved a yellow copy in the post and i think very slightly near the beginning has slight pitch wobble and at the fade out out the end definite slow down pitch wobble momentarily. does it do this on the real issue or is it a fake/boot?

any help greatly appreciated

is there any way you can tell for definite (what writing is in the run out)

cheers

mick

I've just bought a yellow label issue and it is exactly the same. Sounds like the record is spinning too slowly in a couple of places (especially the fade out) no problem with other records so not the turntable. Anybody able to shed any light on why? Run out is hard to read but looks like 801-SS scratched in at slightly past 12 oclock.

Social source share

Does anyone know if this is a boot? It's on vinyl, the printing is a bit feint and the number 7 is not multi-coloured, so I am assuming it is. However, it a very good quality recording, so I was wondering if it was legally reissued?

There was a look-a-like bootleg on the yellow seventy 7 label.   This particular bootleg has a slightly wider dead wax and has 77-104-B (in large typeface) and ss-108 (in small typeface) It also has a very small matrix.

The original has only the ss-108 (small typeface) and the matrix in the deadwax.

Also the music publisher is different; original has 'three cheers music, ascap'  whereas the bootleg has 'cape ann music, inc'

And finally, the typeface on the label looks faded too.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mark

Mine is identical to a the press you described in a post a couple of years ago Details are

A-side:  small SS-107   with a small matrix.  Run-out groove is 8mm.

B-side:  small SS-108   with small matrix.  This side has a larger run-out groove at 12mm.

The vinly edge has that square finish.  The white dj copies also follow this format

This was thought to be an original press but mine is a cape music issue,see scan.Are we saying that ths one is the boot

post-8522-0-69853500-1432922796_thumb.jp

Social source share

Mark

Mine is identical to a the press you described in a post a couple of years ago Details are

A-side:  small SS-107   with a small matrix.  Run-out groove is 8mm.

B-side:  small SS-108   with small matrix.  This side has a larger run-out groove at 12mm.

The vinly edge has that square finish.  The white dj copies also follow this format

This was thought to be an original press but mine is a cape music issue,see scan.Are we saying that ths one is the boot

Mine is identical to yours Patto, A-side ss 107, B-side ss 108 both are very hard to see had to use a magnifier they are that faint,

cape ann music, 8mm & 12mm run outs.   :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Mine is identical to yours Patto, A-side ss 107, B-side ss 108 both are very hard to see had to use a magnifier they are that faint,

cape ann music, 8mm & 12mm run outs.   :thumbsup: 

Cheers Tony i have had mine since the 90s always considered it original, but Mark mentions that the originals have three cheers music so thats left me confused

Social source share

Cheers Tony i have had mine since the 90s always considered it original, but Mark mentions that the originals have three cheers music so thats left me confused

Me too, got mine a couple of years ago from the states, from a really tacky old fashioned bookstore in a pile of grotty old 45s last place i'd expect to pick up a boot, but I suppose stranger things have happened.    :lol: 

Social source share

The one posted in refo-soul is also a cape ann.

Social source share

The 'Three Cheers Music' yellow label copy has a small scratched-in device or logo a couple of inches to the right of the matrix number. It's a small, faint 'W' over an 'M' with an 'E' next to it. Do the Cape Ann Music copies also have this?

Social source share

No Gareth, no markings like you describe, other than the 77-104 and SS 108 there is the number 320 and some small squiggle after that - but it doesn't really look like you say - unless you maybe read it under a magnifying glass?

John I wouldn't expect that mark to be on that copy. As Butch pointed out above the run-out is thicker on your copy which suggests different mastering.

I know John Richbourg companies had a history of reissuing stuff periodically for different markets—the Sound pressings of Little Richie etc. spring to mind—so calling the 'Cape Ann' copies outright bootlegs without specific proof is difficult. Cape Ann was one of Richbourg's publishing companies and is on dozens of records across his labels.

Having said all that if I was buying copies at today's prices I'd steer clear of the 'Cape Ann' ones. The white demo on 77 has the markings I describe above.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Noggin

My Three Cheers copy has those markings at about 9 oclock, directly to the left of Three Cheers, on the YBGTL side, and at about 10 oclock on the YLMD side. Definitely need a magnifying glass to read them though. Just a bit miffed at the sound wobble in a couple of places.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noggin

I've just bought a yellow label issue and it is exactly the same. Sounds like the record is spinning too slowly in a couple of places (especially the fade out) no problem with other records so not the turntable. Anybody able to shed any light on why? Run out is hard to read but looks like 801-SS scratched in at slightly past 12 oclock.

I have just listened to YBGTL on Spotify and the wobble is there, in the fade out, where she sings "took to long to come home"

this is from the compilation album called Said I had a vision. Songs and labels of David Lee. So, is the wobble a mistake from the original recording or pressing and is it on every copy of the record? Anyone able to clarify this?

Edited by Noggin
Social source share

Just checked JM's 5TH & 6th guides, no mention off a boot on the yellow Seventy 7 issue. I also have the "three cheers" label version that i know that i bought as an original from a reputable dealer (but can't now remember who it was (think i'm getting old)), possibly just different pressing plants (not an abnormal occurrence).

Social source share

Yeah it did ..nice orange label with red type

never see it for sale though..

or am i missing something.

have a scan of it though..aboot as close as I get ..

the gasher

​Mr Manships sold 2 in last 12 months, both about £600 if I remember, plain yellow is the 2nd issue, if Impel is the first, Multi coloured came next, it was reissued not booted.:thumbsup:

Spot.:shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!