The Javells - Goodbye Nothin To Say

Jim G

I picked up a near mint copy of The Javells - Goodbye Nothing to Say (the French copy with Picture Cover for £9 see pic), and wondered does it get played out anywhere these days?

In 1974 it was floor packer as we all know

post-2354-0-92019800-1309857204_thumb.jp

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I picked up a near mint copy of The Javells - Goodbye Nothing to Say (the French copy with Picture Cover for £9 see pic), and wondered does it get played out anywhere these days?

In 1974 it was floor packer as we all know

I haven't heard it out for a very long time, but that's not to say it hasn't been played out

Social source share

I haven't heard it out for a very long time, but that's not to say it hasn't been played out

I wouldn't want to hear this record out at a venue, all I can say is the drugs must have been top notch back then when you think of some of the quality at the disposal of the DJ's ph34r.gif

Social source share

got this on a live tape in 74 and the atmosphere is incredible

maybe they just had more fun in the early days ..

i tihnk the mecca played this as well as wigan...

All subjective at the end of the day Mark. Every era had its share of turkeys. Suppose when your young and off your face the music didn't matter so much? Still wouldn't want to hear this out though today.

Social source share

All subjective at the end of the day Mark. Every era had its share of turkeys. Suppose when your young and off your face the music didn't matter so much? Still wouldn't want to hear this out though today.

========

ure right mate. ..all before our time ..lol

Social source share

Wasn't this a tailor made? or was it picked up by deejays. I know there was some Dave Mcaleer involvement who was involved in the Pye set up were pushing the Disco Demand stuff. I would be interested to know if this came before the Disco Demand stuff or was just a record that the northern soul jocks got behind without any influence by Pye or Mcaleer/Disco Demand.

Social source share

Wasn't this a tailor made? or was it picked up by deejays. I know there was some Dave Mcaleer involvement who was involved in the Pye set up were pushing the Disco Demand stuff. I would be interested to know if this came before the Disco Demand stuff or was just a record that the northern soul jocks got behind without any influence by Pye or Mcaleer/Disco Demand.

No it came out on Pye some months before as just another single, it later got picked up by a few dj's, and was then repromoted by Pye Disco Demand as being by a black group!

Social source share

I have this on a 'PYE' white demo. Back in the day when this tune was massive, there were no such thing as Soul Snobs and the djs who played it chose to play it, they weren't forced.

I really do think those were the best days, when records were just played and not analyzed and investigated to make sure it's got the right artist/producer/label. Days when mad records like Cochise, Boots Randolph, Ronas Theme, Instigations, Dirty Hearts etc could go hand in hand with Lou pride, mel Britt, Jerry Williams and so on. Great times. Always said it - Northern Soul does not have to actually mean it has to be soulful.

Social source share

Ah so Steve Jameson cut it as the Javells.....got picked up by northern jocks without any pushing by Pye and repromoted as a black group with two black girl singers in the publicity who probably never sang on the record for black credibility/Northern Soul purposes after initial northern soul plays and repressed on Pye Demand..................the SWONS eh!

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I really do think those were the best days, when records were just played and not analyzed and investigated to make sure it's got the right artist/producer/label. Days when mad records like Cochise, Boots Randolph, Ronas Theme, Instigations, Dirty Hearts etc could go hand in hand with Lou pride, mel Britt, Jerry Williams and so on. Great times. Always said it - Northern Soul does not have to actually mean it has to be soulful.

Javells,,,

Spot on Pete

This record was So Right for the Day!!

Easy to Laugh and Sparn it now ,,,i look back at it with fond affection

As some one said you only have to here the old C90 tapes to hear how well theres record were enjoyed!

We were young ,,, it was our youth

But i WAS THERE back,,, then not like some!!

Things are a lot more Cynical and Clinical now ,,

Nige

Social source share

Ah so Steve Jameson cut it as the Javells.....got picked up by northern jocks without any pushing by Pye and repromoted as a black group with two black girl singers in the publicity who probably never sang on the record for black credibility/Northern Soul purposes after initial northern soul plays and repressed on Pye Demand..................the SWONS eh!

Was it not originally issued as "Nosmo King" and then reissued as The Javells due to the plays at Wigan ??

or am I wrong again?

Tony

Edited by tonyp
Social source share

I wouldn't want to hear this record out at a venue, all I can say is the drugs must have been top notch back then when you think of some of the quality at the disposal of the DJ's ph34r.gif

thats just it the quality was not "at the disposal of the dj's" as it were .

you young whippersnappers have it made these days with tinternet and the like ,not like us phoning kings lynn repeatedly once a week.nono.gif

pretty sure this was a b side originally before dave mcaleer had the staff trawling thru the releases for anything sounding northern

kev

:thumbup:

Social source share

Was it not originally issued as "Nosmo King" and then reissued as The Javells due to the plays at Wigan ??

or am I wrong again?

Tony

Tony, you're right there. Issued in August 1974, credited to Nosmo King, and then only as a B-side.

Social source share

I have this on a 'PYE' white demo. Back in the day when this tune was massive, there were no such thing as Soul Snobs and the djs who played it chose to play it, they weren't forced.

totally agree m8 and there were some big name djs playin it all over the place at the time!!! loved it then love it now, id also play it unashamedly , records like this helped to make the scene what it is today wonder if anyones got the balls to play it at the kings hall!!! cause i guarantee it would still ram the dancefloor as you rightly say, too much snobbery these days i know more than you, ive got dearer records than him etc

it may be a £5 record but ive heard a load of shite being played costing a lot more with bums on seats :thumbup:

Social source share

totally agree m8 and there were some big name djs playin it all over the place at the time!!! loved it then love it now, id also play it unashamedly , records like this helped to make the scene what it is today wonder if anyones got the balls to play it at the kings hall!!! cause i guarantee it would still ram the dancefloor as you rightly say, too much snobbery these days i know more than you, ive got dearer records than him etc

it may be a £5 record but ive heard a load of shite being played costing a lot more with bums on seats :thumbup:

Thank you,

'Soul Snobs', why can't they just like the music for what it is, what it was, and what impact it had on the scene at the time? instead of analysing (or should that be 'ANAL'ysing) every track for what label it's on, who produced it, whether it was a black or white artist, how much it's worth, and whether it's an original or a boot.

Who gives a flying f**k, as long as the tune is good, pleases the crowd, and fills a dance floor.

After all, that is what the scene is about isn't it, and what ALL good DJs should be thinking about.

Edited by steveLuigi
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Myself and Rod Allsworth (aka Billy the Kid) used to play this on Saturday nights in the main ballroom at Blackpool Mecca when it

was released. What was funny that punters from the Highland Room on their walks around the Mecca used to dance to it

together with all the holidaymakers and the non soulies much to the chagrin of a certain Highland Room DJ.

Still got it but never play it now.:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

we hear so often how this "tune" was played back in the day and that "tune" was played back in the day. We hear how this tune was first played by X and that tune was first played by Y...............So how come these great jocks bacvk in the day disguarded a mountain of great soul records and in the main persisted with mediocre/average stuff ( not every tune l hasten to add ) plus loads of pop shite..........the fullness of time has shown these jocks to of been rubbish (cause they ditched the good un's real quick for the bad uns ).

The Javells.............shite back in the day and shite now............a certain type of dj will want to play this( oldies l would guess )but not at a soul club methinks.

Why oh why can,t folk let the fullness of time and knowledge over time...........show them the the real from the fake. it,s my life fist

Social source share

Why is it when your taste in music doesn't match someone's from back in the day you're a soul snob. Nothing to do with being a snob it's my personal taste in music.

I've danced to, owned and even dj'ed with my fair share of white poppy records but this record to me is simply shite, no ifs not buts no had to be there boll**ks, just shite.

Social source share

Why is it when your taste in music doesn't match someone's from back in the day you're a soul snob. Nothing to do with being a snob it's my personal taste in music.

I've danced to, owned and even dj'ed with my fair share of white poppy records but this record to me is simply shite, no ifs not buts no had to be there boll**ks, just shite.

It's a generalisation - a lot of people won't accept a record unless it's recorded by a black artist from detroit - and the scene was never that elitist back in the 70's.

A good record is a good record.

A bad record is a bad record.

But what makes it either a good record or a bad record is down to each individual's taste. And of course, as we get older, our opinions and tastes change. Did you like the Javells back in 74 Chalky or did you think it was rubbish then? I liked it back then, it was just as I was getting into NS. Now, it's alright to hear once a year maybe. So my taste changed as well. I hated Sam Williams in 1977, by 1987 I loved it.

Social source share

Did you like the Javells back in 74 Chalky or did you think it was rubbish then?

Pete, I was 8, I didn't know me Javells from me arsehole biggrin.gif But I've never liked the record or records of a similar ilk. Now Sam Williams, as good as it gets, always loved it thumbsup.gif

I know why and how soul snob is used but doesn't mean I or others have to like or put up with it just because our tastes differ. The term only really comes out when we talk about pop records.

Social source share

Pete, I was 8, I didn't know me Javells from me arsehole biggrin.gif But I've never liked the record or records of a similar ilk. Now Sam Williams, as good as it gets, always loved it thumbsup.gif

I know why and how soul snob is used but doesn't mean I or others have to like or put up with it just because our tastes differ. The term only really comes out when we talk about pop records.

Oops, well actually I had absolutely no idea how old you were mate, I was 14 at the time myself. Though if I'd been 8, I'd probably have liked it's catchy sing-a-long chorus :thumbsup:

Social source share

When I came back on the scene some 10 years ago the term 'Soul Snob' was new to me. When I left the scene there was no such term. When asking what the term actually meant I was told that it referred to people who for instance, won't dance to a record unless it is on the original label, or look down on collectors because they have bootlegs or re-presses in their collection.

I know everyone has the right to their own opinions of records and I understand Chalky that you don't like the record, that's fair comment.

I had first hand experience of the 'Soul Snob' scenario on one of the first occasions of getting back to DJing Northern, when a guy came up to me during my set and said '"Is this the original then?", when I said no I couldn't afford the original because it was going for approximately a Grand, he said, "Oh! well I won't dance to it then", How f**king pathetic is that? The floor was full at this time BTW and the record was Margaret Little - Love finds a way'. I couldn't beleive what I was hearing, and said that that was his choice.

Social source share

It's a generalisation - a lot of people won't accept a record unless it's recorded by a black artist from detroit - and the scene was never that elitist back in the 70's.

A good record is a good record.

A bad record is a bad record.

But what makes it either a good record or a bad record is down to each individual's taste. And of course, as we get older, our opinions and tastes change. Did you like the Javells back in 74 Chalky or did you think it was rubbish then? I liked it back then, it was just as I was getting into NS. Now, it's alright to hear once a year maybe. So my taste changed as well. I hated Sam Williams in 1977, by 1987 I loved it.

I hated Sam Williams in 1977, by 1987 I loved it.

DOES THIS MEAN IN A FEW YEARS THE MONTCLAIRS COULD BE YOUR ALL TIME FAVE PETE :thumbsup:

KEV

Social source share

Was this recorded before Maxine Nightingale's "Right Back Where We Started From"? A did Maxine basically plagiarise it?

I believe Maxines record to be an original recording...........and somewhat better than the suggested "plagiarized" side........but hey its all subjective I guess

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I believe Maxines record to be an original recording...........and somewhat better than the suggested "plagiarized" side........but hey its all subjective I guess

Cheers Paul

It's exactly the same tune as Goodbye Nothing To Say! An absolute copy.

Social source share

I hated Sam Williams in 1977, by 1987 I loved it.

DOES THIS MEAN IN A FEW YEARS THE MONTCLAIRS COULD BE YOUR ALL TIME FAVE PETE :thumbsup:

KEV

You mean The Carstairs Kev, a record which actually gets worse with every listen.

Though you could mean The Montclairs "Hung up on your love" which is also utter dismal rubbish.

I like the 60's Montclairs records though.

Social source share

Well some responses to my post!

I for one danced to it in 1974 and would today. I hate the "it's not black" argument - about 20% + of ALL records played on our scene are by white artists. As many have said a good record s a good record and what is a good record is purely one's own opinion.

Hell, at Whitby this weekend, Mel Torme, The Shakers, Julian Covey etc. all packed the floor!

Anyway back on topic, do you think anyone will dare to play it! If I was a DJ I would, cos as stated earlier, it would probable fill the floor which is surely the main reason why most people go the venues - to dance?

Social source share

When I came back on the scene some 10 years ago the term 'Soul Snob' was new to me. When I left the scene there was no such term. When asking what the term actually meant I was told that it referred to people who for instance, won't dance to a record unless it is on the original label, or look down on collectors because they have bootlegs or re-presses in their collection.

I know everyone has the right to their own opinions of records and I understand Chalky that you don't like the record, that's fair comment.

I had first hand experience of the 'Soul Snob' scenario on one of the first occasions of getting back to DJing Northern, when a guy came up to me during my set and said '"Is this the original then?", when I said no I couldn't afford the original because it was going for approximately a Grand, he said, "Oh! well I won't dance to it then", How f**king pathetic is that? The floor was full at this time BTW and the record was Margaret Little - Love finds a way'. I couldn't beleive what I was hearing, and said that that was his choice.

I agree with the guy about the ML. Unless you have the OV dont play it. I find that many of the folk using the term 'Soul Snob' are those justifying why they play boots or who had left the scene & came back & dont understand how the NS had evolved & refuse to move on.

If being a 'Soul Snob' means real vinyl & enjoying how the NS has developed......then I'll be one of them :D .

Russ

Social source share

Well some responses to my post!

I for one danced to it in 1974 and would today. I hate the "it's not black" argument - about 20% + of ALL records played on our scene are by white artists. As many have said a good record s a good record and what is a good record is purely one's own opinion.

Hell, at Whitby this weekend, Mel Torme, The Shakers, Julian Covey etc. all packed the floor!

Anyway back on topic, do you think anyone will dare to play it! If I was a DJ I would, cos as stated earlier, it would probable fill the floor which is surely the main reason why most people go the venues - to dance?

Probably fill the floor? Where?.It should be reserved to office parties and weddings,both which would probably result in an almighty dust up.

I might ask Chalky to play it in his next set in July..

Edited by KevH
Social source share

I agree with the guy about the ML. Unless you have the OV dont play it. I find that many of the folk using the term 'Soul Snob' are those justifying why they play boots or who had left the scene & came back & dont understand how the NS had evolved & refuse to move on.

If being a 'Soul Snob' means real vinyl & enjoying how the NS has developed......then I'll be one of them :D .

Russ

I'll join you Russ :D

You either get it or you don't.

Phil

PS - I actually quite like Javells (in a catchy poppy youth clubby kind of way)

Social source share

soul snobs are those who look down on other soul fans who haven't got the money or the knowledge to amass a collection such as theirs then take the piss out of them for playing pressings of their (the soul snobs) originals. That's how I see it. A bit like how most of view chavs. Soul Chav. New name for them.

Social source share

Jeeze! You've just described me! :D

I've just realised I've been pathetic all these years!

Bugger.....I'm gonna sell every original I own, buy 10000 bootlegs and gain a little self respect! :D

Only joking Pal, you do what you do and leave us to do what we do, there's a good lad. :D

Regards,

Dave

PS. Where can I get a Margaret Little for a grand? :wave:

Social source share

soul snobs are those who look down on other soul fans who haven't got the money or the knowledge to amass a collection such as theirs then take the piss out of them for playing pressings of their (the soul snobs) originals. That's how I see it. A bit like how most of view chavs. Soul Chav. New name for them.

Ah Pete, but it should work both ways.

I don't ridicule bootleg players so they should in turn keep their gobs shut about us record collectors. Instead of trying to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator. :D

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert