Which Dj's From The Past Would Be Great Today?

Guest ShaneH

gonna be awfully predictable chaps...

mr. john vincent. this man could play matt lucas 'you better go go' & donald austin 'you want it you got it' back to back. those were the days... if he were on the scene today? he'd probably have gone back to his Jazz/ R&B roots. I remember a conversation with him at peterborough one night about this. I was none the bloody wiser, I assumed he was talking about little hank. it was more likely to be les mccann, herbie mann, monguito santamaria etc;

macca

He is on the scene today. And on here now and then. ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 110
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Johnny One Trout

Kojak

used to play at bisley 75/ 76 always a favorite of mine just disappeared the night it ended early at 2 o'clock where are they now?

err did he go to Yate then

ROD DEARLOVE SPRINGS TO MIND :thumbsup:

Ohhh he does doesn't he bring back Dod I say

Social source share

err did he go to Yate then

Ohhh he does doesn't he bring back Dod I say

Didnt he promote Yate prior to Dinks John ??? Hippo can you help out here, seem to remember him being a bit of a smash & grab kinda promoter, but could be wrong as I was pretty young & naive back then.

Russ

BTW Ian Clark would be fan bloody tastic, now on either a Northern or Modern tip, top DJ & top bloke too, one of my faves ever.

Social source share

Tony Jebb and "Mick The Fed" who did the Burnley area 68 to 71. Big Wheel sounds man with a mega mad personality. Never heard of him since.

What happened to Tony Jebb anyone? Last heard he was ill in Blackpool after getting heavily into the weightlifting scene.

Social source share

to say that Kojak was a character is something of an understatement, to say he was a bit of a wide-boy is nearer the mark. Can any one remember his ill-fated soul extravaganza at the Norbreck Castle in Blackpool in the 70s, a lot of people put their faith in him and were badly let down, he had lots of big ideas but they didn't always come off. But he did give me a chance to dj for him in the early days of Yate, ( I still had to pay to get in though!) Once me and Terry Davis went all the way to Bournemouth from London to play the records before and after the set by the Tymes (Ms Grace was a hit at the time) the attendance was lousy, so me and Terry were fobbed off with £5 for our trouble. What an insult, everybody knew that I didn't dj for less than £7.50 in those days!!

Tony

Social source share

to say that Kojak was a character is something of an understatement, to say he was a bit of a wide-boy is nearer the mark. Can any one remember his ill-fated soul extravaganza at the Norbreck Castle in Blackpool in the 70s, a lot of people put their faith in him and were badly let down, he had lots of big ideas but they didn't always come off. But he did give me a chance to dj for him in the early days of Yate, ( I still had to pay to get in though!) Once me and Terry Davis went all the way to Bournemouth from London to play the records before and after the set by the Tymes (Ms Grace was a hit at the time) the attendance was lousy, so me and Terry were fobbed off with £5 for our trouble. What an insult, everybody knew that I didn't dj for less than £7.50 in those days!!

Tony

:thumbsup:

He advertised two all nighters in Sheffield around the same time, at the Top Rank (Steely's to the younger ones)

The first ran from 8 till 2 after 'licensing problems' and the second one never happened at all.

Social source share

. What an insult, everybody knew that I didn't dj for less than £7.50 in those days!!Tony

Well next year is RSG's 25th Anniversary Year, with a few Exciting things planned, 2 DJ's that I would love to have with us, Baz Ryley who is no longer with us, sadly died a couple of years ago,

The Other is Tony Ellis....

Jon Buck

Social source share

where did he play mate?

Shane

St ives all-nighters. One of the originals, first one to play Arin Demain silent treatment.

True or false , did Tony clayton get nevs collection. :unsure:

Social source share

St ives all-nighters. One of the originals, first one to play Arin Demain silent treatment.

True or false , did Tony clayton get nevs collection. :lol:

if memory serves me right, he did, thought he was to have sold them but some stuff never saw light of day, but don't quote me on that!

had a few records few years later from a guy in Thorne, Bill ?????, he got a lo of cheap stuff that no one else bid on, but none of the biggies.

Social source share

if memory serves me right, he did, thought he was to have sold them but some stuff never saw light of day, but don't quote me on that!

had a few records few years later from a guy in Thorne, Bill ?????, he got a lo of cheap stuff that no one else bid on, but none of the biggies.

My understanding is that Tony bought what he wanted from Nev's collection and sold the rest on behalf of Nev's widow.

Social source share

My understanding is that Tony bought what he wanted from Nev's collection and sold the rest on behalf of Nev's widow.

probably did, wonder what they would make at auction these days?

whatever happened to the Rev, used to see him regular at likes of Ripley in early 80s.

steve

Social source share

Samanthas I believe

and many venues across the East Midlands (I first heard him, I think at Nots Palais or Derby Tiffs). Had a cracking record collection and was very well respected in the 70s. Tony Clayton I belive bought much of his collection

Social source share

Having only been on the scene for a handful of years I would like to know which DJ's from the past would sound great today?

Who would you like to see behind the decks again?

In other other words who was way ahead of their time?

Cheers

Shane

Rob Marriot

Social source share

Wasn't Nev Wherry also the first to play Born A loser? what a gorgeous looking man he was.Delx

Social source share

Wasn't Nev Wherry also the first to play Born A loser? what a gorgeous looking man he was.Delx

Del, I would imagine if we did but know Nev broke a few sounds which are now credited to places further North. :lol:

Mr Donnely is on here now.... reckon he would know more than most about Nev.

Dave

Social source share

True or false , did Tony clayton get nevs collection. laugh.gif

tony brought nevs collection to chris savorys stoke record fair. me, mick smith, nick marshall,dave allcock,john hillel and a few others got first pick. some great stuff and dirt cheap. :lol:

/

quote]

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Blimey, Pikes...........I was just thinking about Nev. I saw him in Bedford and he was ace :lol: But for me, it would have to be Randy Cozens.......... laugh.gif Jo

I'd like to hear what Nev Wherry would have been playing... unfortunately never got the chance to hear him as I was about 7 when he died.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Oh yes, Jon........Tony Ellis - and Tony Rounce - and IAN CLARKE...........drag them, kicking and screaming out of retirement and make them deejay - we want entertaining, now :lol: Jo

Well next year is RSG's 25th Anniversary Year, with a few Exciting things planned, 2 DJ's that I would love to have with us, Baz Ryley who is no longer with us, sadly died a couple of years ago,

Jon Buck

Social source share

Blimey, Pikes...........I was just thinking about Nev. I saw him in Bedford and he was ace :lol: But for me, it would have to be Randy Cozens.......... laugh.gif Jo

Jo, would this have been at the Nitespot nighters on the Embankment in Bedford circa 1980? Del x

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It could've been the Nitespot on the Embankment - and it was definately 1980/1.........I remember catching the train to Bedford, then Ian Clark putting his record box in a shopping trolley and us making our wonky way down Bedford High Street :lol: I think Soul Sam was deejaying the same night and I think that it was one of the last gigs that Nev did before he passed away. The venue - can't remember a thing except that it had a good dance floor laugh.gif Jo

Jo, would this have been at the Nitespot nighters on the Embankment in Bedford circa 1980? Del x

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Jon Buck

Saw Tone last Saturday at Lightwater, has put up his prices now, will cost you £10 now!! Good value for money mate. R.I.P. Baz Ryley, also his old mate & mine Paul Guntrip.

Alan

Social source share

used to see him regular at likes of Ripley in early 80s.

steve

Which is where I went through the rocking revs record box, pulling out records that Tony got from Nev's collection; the likes of Lester Tipton, Don Gardner Cheating Kind etc.....

Didnt answer the question though Steve :thumbsup: I would like to know what happened to him mind

Social source share

Got to be the soul twats a.ka. Dave molloy &Gaz kellet,good sounds plus the comedy value

Oh blimey yeah, what a pair, how awful that I'd forgotten about those two performing together. Not heard anything about them for a long time. They used to make me chuckle :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

Rod Dearlove for me, still get his lists and tapes, very much to my taste, from deep soul right through to modern sounds.

Brett

DITTO BRETT

AND LES COKEL (NEVER COULD SPELL HIS NAME) OLD BUDDIE OF MINE AND STILL SADLY MISSED. :rolleyes:

Social source share

When I knew the guy back around '73, John Harvey, aka Kojak was no kind of soul fan at all. His motivation was money pure and simple. Can't understand why anyone would rate him.

If you want a man who really was ahead of his time, I'd go for Worcester's John Farrell. Not sure how many times he actually played, but I saw him bomb at the New 67 club in Wolverhampton around '75 (ironically, a gig promoted by Kojak). Anyhow, J.F.'s taste was just way too sophisticated for the footsee crowd and his dancefloor had tumbleweed. It was some years before the mid tempo goodies he played that night gained any kind of following.

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

It could've been the Nitespot on the Embankment - and it was definately 1980/1.........I remember catching the train to Bedford, then Ian Clark putting his record box in a shopping trolley and us making our wonky way down Bedford High Street :D I think Soul Sam was deejaying the same night and I think that it was one of the last gigs that Nev did before he passed away. The venue - can't remember a thing except that it had a good dance floor :rolleyes: Jo

Definitely was the Nitespot, as I was on that journey with you - I'd caught a train up from Cheltenham than tube across to St. Pancras as the rest of the Cheltenham crowd were showing signs of settling down (thankfully they're almost all still around!)...yes , Sam was dj'ing as I remember I'd bought a UK issue of Marvin Smith that night, at some point was showing him my purchase and told him how much I'd paid for it...now whether the system was loud there or my mind was :wicked: confused, I ended up with the money and Sam with a single I'd only just bought! To this day I've never been able to work it out...

BTW Definitely Ian Clark, and what about Alan Day from the Torch era, but Adey Pountain doen't really count as he still does the odd spot - like Cheltenham Saracens on November 11th!

Hippo.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Didnt he promote Yate prior to Dinks John ??? Hippo can you help out here, seem to remember him being a bit of a smash & grab kinda promoter, but could be wrong as I was pretty young & naive back then.

Russ

Sorry i'm late coming to this topic, but yup, you're right Russ, Kojak actually started Yate, did roadshows with varying amounts of success, so Bisley was concurrent with Yate. remember one at Tiff's on Durdham Downs in Bristol, a Monday evening do, must have been pre-Yate days as Footsee (with the different intro, probably played off an EMIdisc :rolleyes: ) was the big tune! Also one of the better ones was Malvern, probably just before Christmas '74.

Personally, never quite trusted the guy.....

Hippo.

Social source share

Sorry i'm late coming to this topic, but yup, you're right Russ, Kojak actually started Yate, did roadshows with varying amounts of success, so Bisley was concurrent with Yate. remember one at Tiff's on Durdham Downs in Bristol, a Monday evening do, must have been pre-Yate days as Footsee (with the different intro, probably played off an EMIdisc :rolleyes: ) was the big tune! Also one of the better ones was Malvern, probably just before Christmas '74.

Personally, never quite trusted the guy.....

Hippo.

====

hippo

was that intro the one with ' a little bit hurt' intro at the beginning?

Social source share

In our area, he played the KGB. Defo not at original Samanthas niters . Nice guy.

From Nottingham area I think. Got alot of DJ work, had a very very good British collection.

Played a lot of white pop stompers though.

Nev Wherry was well know for collecting british, had to be on Demo only, had everthing worth having I believe. Correct,a lot of white items he did aquire, but a lot of white items were played then.

When he and his girlfriend passed on his record collection was sold on behalf of his family by John Manship.

SHEEP

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

Having only been on the scene for a handful of years I would like to know which DJ's from the past would sound great today?

Who would you like to see behind the decks again?

In other other words who was way ahead of their time?

Cheers

Shane

Late entry to this topic I know .....I understand exactly what you are asking Shane! Should I be afraid that I may be on your wavelength?!!!

In answer to your questions, without a doubt Mr Gaz Kellet was so ahead of his time, a man with impeccable taste in music and the courage of his convictions. I am sure that there are many who would love to see him back up there! Added to this the gorgeous, hilarious Dave Molloy, also with impeccable musical taste and the most fantastic sense of humour!

These two really are amongst the wonderful characters of the scene and when they did a spot together it was a hard act for anyone to follow in more ways than one!

I know that someone else has aready mentioned them but not enough of you have! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Late entry to this topic I know .....I understand exactly what you are asking Shane! Should I be afraid that I may be on your wavelength?!!!

In answer to your questions, without a doubt Mr Gaz Kellet was so ahead of his time, a man with impeccable taste in music and the courage of his convictions. I am sure that there are many who would love to see him back up there! Added to this the gorgeous, hilarious Dave Molloy, also with impeccable musical taste and the most fantastic sense of humour!

These two really are amongst the wonderful characters of the scene and when they did a spot together it was a hard act for anyone to follow in more ways than one!

I know that someone else has aready mentioned them but not enough of you have! :rolleyes:

ms murray has plenty to say today! :wicked: maybe she is excited about her little holiday coming up this week? :D

lots of great replies on this thread and i am sure it has evoked some great memories too.

I would have liked to have seen Dave Withers as I have heard lots of good things about him and also Roger Banks in the 80s was supposed to be the dogs danglies.

Shane

Social source share

Nev Wherry was well know for collecting british, had to be on Demo only, had everthing worth having I believe. Correct,a lot of white items he did aquire, but a lot of white items were played then.

When he and his girlfriend passed on his record collection was sold on behalf of his family by John Manship.

SHEEP

Why do you say Manship sold Nevs collection?

Its a fact that Tony Clayton bought what he wanted, then sold the rest on behalf of Nev's estate. Indeed, Taffy has stated on this thread that he bought some "some great stuff and dirt cheap" from Tony.

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

ms murray has plenty to say today! :lol: maybe she is excited about her little holiday coming up this week? :lol:

lots of great replies on this thread and i am sure it has evoked some great memories too.

I would have liked to have seen Dave Withers as I have heard lots of good things about him and also Roger Banks in the 80s was supposed to be the dogs danglies.

Shane

Well Shane you have obviously inspired me to respond! I don't believe in wasting my time if I don't think that something is worthwhile!!! :D

You would definitely have agreed with me if you had been around at the time!!! Take my word for it! :lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Blimey, Jerry.........you took your life in your hands travelling with us lot :lol: I remember that the train on the return journey had a buffet car and I had tomato soup with white sliced bread (always a good 'after the niter' breakfast) and I sold Clarkie Holly St James on British........and ended up getting paid 20 years later :D There must've been something in the water that night.......you and Sam and me and Clarkie :lol: Ah, happy days..........Jo

Definitely was the Nitespot, as I was on that journey with you - I'd caught a train up from Cheltenham than tube across to St. Pancras as the rest of the Cheltenham crowd were showing signs of settling down (thankfully they're almost all still around!)...yes , Sam was dj'ing as I remember I'd bought a UK issue of Marvin Smith that night, at some point was showing him my purchase and told him how much I'd paid for it...now whether the system was loud there or my mind was
:lol:
confused, I ended up with the money and Sam with a single I'd only just bought! To this day I've never been able to work it out...

BTW Definitely Ian Clark, and what about Alan Day from the Torch era, but Adey Pountain doen't really count as he still does the odd spot - like Cheltenham Saracens on November 11th!

Hippo.

Social source share

Got to be the soul twats a.ka. Dave molloy &Gaz kellet,good sounds plus the comedy value

Gaz Kellet has had his collection stolen so no chance of that :lol: real shame too he was a take no prisoners type of DJ. Legend was he was told by a promoter one time 'Gaz play them something they know' to which he replied 'F**K em if they don't like this stuff they must all be morons' pure quality :lol:

Social source share

Great shame Ian Clark no longer djing, was a great dj years back & still could be now i'm sure.

Alan

Can't beat some of the yate dj's - would love to see Ian out again, Dave thorley was great too and ahead of his time, tho too modern for me these days

Doris :lol:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Right, that's it..........Hands up for the Clarkie Liberation Army........ :lol: we'll nip up to Cromer all ninja like and half inch him and his vinyl and make him entertain us...........if only it was that simple :lol: Clarkie, missing you madly..........Jo

Can't beat some of the yate dj's - would love to see Ian out again, Dave thorley was great too and ahead of his time, tho too modern for me these days

Doris
:lol:

Social source share

Agreed. :lol:

Tho we are all a lot older now. His 200mph discoveries would have us dropping like flies.

:lol: You sure new the nighter was in full swing when Gary was plying the decks :lol:

Social source share

I know that someone else has aready mentioned them but not enough of you have! :P

Have to agree with you on this Miss Murray :D both were great and yes a difficult act to follow. Gaz without doubt would have been one of, if not the best DJ's about.

As for Dave Molloy been gorgeous nah...But he does have great sense of humour, not seen him out for sometime now...Gaz, well must be at least 2 or 3 years maybe the last time he did the Wilton?

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert