Which Dj's From The Past Would Be Great Today?

Guest ShaneH

Having only been on the scene for a handful of years I would like to know which DJ's from the past would sound great today?

Who would you like to see behind the decks again?

In other other words who was way ahead of their time?

Cheers

Shane

Social source share

• Replies 110
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Having only been on the scene for a handful of years I would like to know which DJ's from the past would sound great today?

Cheers

Shane

The best DJ of the 70's is still very much around today

Arise Sir Richard Searling !

Social source share

The best DJ of the 70's is still very much around today

Arise Sir Richard Searling !

i never hear a bad word said about this man. however he aint a dj on soul scene as i know it though.

I also think you have totally missed the point of my post but it is sunday and you, like me, are probably carrying a hazy head around! :thumbsup:

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

i never hear a bad word said about this man. however he aint a dj on soul scene as i know it though.

I also think you have totally missed the point of my post but it is sunday and you, like me, are probably carrying a hazy head around! :thumbsup:

Shane

Perhaps I have... Ah well

Social source share

Cheers

Shane

Two seperate questions there really Shane:

1. Who was ahead of their time?

2. Would they still be worth listening to today?

My own subjective answers would be 1. Poke Hayden. 2. Probably not.

Social source share

Two seperate questions there really Shane:

1. Who was ahead of their time?

2. Would they still be worth listening to today?

My own subjective answers would be 1. Poke Hayden. 2. Probably not.

not really any confusion there dave. the two questions are the same really. if poke was ahead of his time why would he be no good today?

you had a heavy night too me old mucker? :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Guest GrooveJunkies

Kojak

used to play at bisley 75/ 76 always a favorite of mine just disappeared the night it ended early at 2 o'clock where are they now?

Social source share

not really any confusion there dave. the two questions are the same really. if poke was ahead of his time why would he be no good today?

you had a heavy night too me old mucker? :yes:

Shane

Didn't even go out last night mate :yes: Assume you were at Frobishers?

The two questions aren't the same IMHO....a lot of the guys who broke new ground in the 70s are still around today, but some of them I wouldn't listen to now if they were in my living room.

As far as Poke is concerned, its hypothetical as he's not really into the scene any more.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Didn't even go out last night mate :yes: Assume you were at Frobishers?

The two questions aren't the same IMHO....a lot of the guys who broke new ground in the 70s are still around today, but some of them I wouldn't listen to now if they were in my living room.

As far as Poke is concerned, its hypothetical as he's not really into the scene any more.

:thumbsup:

yes dave a great one at the frobisher.

i know what you are saying about djs of the past. the ideal answer would be a dj who doesnt play anymore but would be just right for todays scene :yes:

Shane

Social source share

Cheers

Shane

HAS TO BE PETER YOUNG FOR ME, BEEN TUNED INTO HIS SHOWS FOR 20 YEARS AND HE'S STILL SOUNDS AS GOOD TODAY AS HE DID ALL THOSE YEARS AGO IMO :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Decroco

Jimmy Saville!

No being serious I would have to say Steve Croft(Bradford Queens Hall), as he was a top promoter/DJ, he had great taste in music and knew which way to entertain the crowd.

He also had good taste in the modern side and to me was a great influence.

Anyone that went to the BQH in the mid 8ts to early 9ts will all agree what bloody good nighters they were.

Wayne

Social source share

HAS TO BE PETER YOUNG FOR ME, BEEN TUNED INTO HIS SHOWS FOR 20 YEARS AND HE'S STILL SOUNDS AS GOOD TODAY AS HE DID ALL THOSE YEARS AGO IMO :thumbsup:

i think i aint gonna get the answers i am looking for tonight :yes:

once again.....which dj who no longer plays would sound right for todays scene? :yes:

Shane

Social source share

Jimmy Saville!

No being serious I would have to say Steve Croft(Bradford Queens Hall), as he was a top promoter/DJ, he had great taste in music and knew which way to entertain the crowd.

He also had good taste in the modern side and to me was a great influence.

Anyone that went to the BQH in the mid 8ts to early 9ts will all agree what bloody good nighters they were.

Wayne

:thumbsup: Queens Hall was and always will be my 2nd fave niter ... Steve Croft was ace ... it's the first place I ever heard Carl Fortnum (with his trustee duffle coat) ... superb and still is :yes:

Social source share

i think i aint gonna get the answers i am looking for tonight :thumbsup:

once again.....which dj who no longer plays would sound right for todays scene? :yes:

Shane

tony blackburn :yes:

Social source share

i think i aint gonna get the answers i am looking for tonight :thumbsup:

Shane

Shane, you probably won't get the answer you're looking for as most of the good old DJs are still doing it ... Steve Smith (Bretby) was a good favourite and he no longer DJs ... do I win the bon bons now :yes:

Social source share

i think i aint gonna get the answers i am looking for tonight :yes:

Shane

ROD DEARLOVE SPRINGS TO MIND :thumbsup:

Social source share

Shane, you probably won't get the answer you're looking for as most of the good old DJs are still doing it ... Steve Smith (Bretby) was a good favourite and he no longer DJs ... do I win the bon bons now :yes:

another crackpot you mandy :yes:

you say i wont get any answers then you give me one :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

I'd like to hear what Nev Wherry would have been playing... unfortunately never got the chance to hear him as I was about 7 when he died.

where did he play mate?

Shane

Social source share

Kojak

used to play at bisley 75/ 76 always a favorite of mine just disappeared the night it ended early at 2 o'clock where are they now?

[/quote)

Quite a colourful character. Used to run the Inter City soul Club.

He resurfaced a few years later playing commercial jazz funk stuff in Staines at The Pack Horse.

Social source share

maybe SteveM can tell us more about him...

Shane

In our area, he played the KGB. Defo not at original Samanthas niters . Nice guy.

From Nottingham area I think. Got alot of DJ work, had a very very good British collection.

Played a lot of white pop stompers though.

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

another crackpot you mandy :yes:

you say i wont get any answers then you give me one :yes:

Shane

I only do it to make you smile :yes:

I know it may sound a bit biased (but not honest even though some of the tunes were mine :thumbsup: ) but Paul Hamer (Lancashire) used to come out with some stunners ... he only DJ'd up north (Wilton, Manchester) but was certainly one of the young up & coming lads .... shame he stopped really ...

Social source share

Cheers

Shane

On reflection Pete Budd seemed ahead of his time doing the early spots at the Imber Nighters. I think he stopped DJing and joined a band after Imber folded.

Edited by fivestarfrankie
Social source share

Cheers

Shane

ALAN RHODES - say no more

Social source share

In our area, he played the KGB. Defo not at original Samanthas niters . Nice guy.

From Nottingham area I think. Got alot of DJ work, had a very very good British collection.

Played a lot of white pop stompers though.

Bit late for you to be up Steve!? :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Bit late for you to be up Steve!? :yes::thumbsup:

MarkE is in charge on my ward now Dave. And he's asleep, still pissed from Sams. So that big Red Indian, sorry, Native American, bloke has chucked a sink thru the window again :yes:

So I'm free for a while. (Mind you, my arse is cold in this open backed NHS gown :yes: )

Social source share

Kojak

Kojak a.k.a John Harvey, now dead, i think. Not many characters like him around now.

Always enjoyed Martin Ellis oldies spots at Wigan, even though he always borrowed other peoples records, he was an entertainer, played to the dancers! R.I.P.

Social source share

MarkE is in charge on my ward now Dave. And he's asleep, still pissed from Sams. So that big Red Indian, sorry, Native American, bloke has chucked a sink thru the window again :thumbsup:

So I'm free for a while. (Mind you, my arse is cold in this open backed NHS gown :yes: )

Enjoy the freedom while you can mate :yes:

I'm astonished they put Mark in charge.... isn't there a YTS they could have given the job to? :yes:

Social source share

Certainly proves the point doesn't it? :thumbsup:

What did you think to Shane's original question btw?

Well IMO to give an answer, you've got to assume the dj's personl tastes wouldn't have changed.

In which case, funds permitting, Poke would give Soul Sam a run for his money. Ian Clark. And Rotherhams finest Sean Hampsey.

I know he's still round, but I can't understand why Arthur Fenn doesn't dj much more. (Assuming of course that he wants too. Very good taste IMO)

Social source share

Well IMO to give an answer, you've got to assume the dj's personl tastes wouldn't have changed.

In which case, funds permitting, Poke would give Soul Sam a run for his money. Ian Clark. And Rotherhams finest Sean Hampsey.

I know he's still round, but I can't understand why Arthur Fenn doesn't dj much more. (Assuming of course that he wants too. Very good taste IMO)

Great shame Ian Clark no longer djing, was a great dj years back & still could be now i'm sure.

Alan

Social source share

arthur will be on at the greatstone next year ( you missed him on earlier this year top spot)

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

gonna be awfully predictable chaps...

mr. john vincent. this man could play matt lucas 'you better go go' & donald austin 'you want it you got it' back to back. those were the days... if he were on the scene today? he'd probably have gone back to his Jazz/ R&B roots. I remember a conversation with him at peterborough one night about this. I was none the bloody wiser, I assumed he was talking about little hank. it was more likely to be les mccann, herbie mann, monguito santamaria etc;

macca

Social source share

gonna be awfully predictable chaps...

mr. john vincent. this man could play matt lucas 'you better go go' & donald austin 'you want it you got it' back to back. those were the days... if he were on the scene today? he'd probably have gone back to his Jazz/ R&B roots. I remember a conversation with him at peterborough one night about this. I was none the bloody wiser, I assumed he was talking about little hank. it was more likely to be les mccann, herbie mann, monguito santamaria etc;

macca

He is on the scene today. I've heard him play a couple of times in the last year or so and it didn't exactly make the Earth move.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert