Top 5 Xover Records Of All Time

What are the 5 best Crossover tunes ever ?.

Darell Banks - I'm the One Who Loves You - Volt

Ruby Andrews - Just Lovin' You - Zodiac

Almeta Latimore - These Memories - Mainstream

Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got the Right - Mala

Kings of Soul - Is Your Love For Me - Down to Earth

Hundreds & Hundreds but wanted to choose 'classic' choons.

Best Russ

Social source share

• Replies 130
  • Views 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bobby Sheen - "Sweet, sweet love"

Richard Caiton - "I'd like to get near you"

Hermon Hitson "You can't keep a good man down"

Johnny Gilliam - Room full of tears"

Chuck Cockerham - "Have I got a right"

Edited by Jaco
Social source share

ok, another 3 that are brilliant IMO and could be among the best five

differences - 5 minutes

lou pride - your love is fading

richard caiton - i'd like to get near you

Both versions of Lou Pride are great, but which is your fave Benji.........all mentioned amongst my fave soul records.

Thx for posting.

Best Russ

Social source share

Both versions of Lou Pride are great, but which is your fave Benji.........all mentioned amongst my fave soul records.

Thx for posting.

Best Russ

Two versions? I forgot that there are two takes. One's sparse and the other one's much punchier, aren't they? The one I have in mind is the punchier one.

Social source share

Little Reuben - In The Name of Loneliness

Athens Rouges - She Could love me ( If it was rare it'd be loadsa money)

Chuck Cockerham - Have I Got The Right

Kenny Smith - Everybody Knows I Love You

John Wesley - You Still need Me, his cheaper offering but just class should be heard more often

Cheers Darren

Social source share

And god said upon to man , let there be crossover .

VICKI LABATT - GOT TOKEEP ON HANGING ON

ANN BOGUS - DON'T ASK ME TO LOVE AGAIN

ROSIE GRIER - BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

RICHARD CAITON - I'D LIKE TO GET NEAR YOU

COOKIE SCOTT - I DON'T CARE

These are todays favs

Tony

Edited by MAK
Social source share

Funny Chuck Cockerham gets mentioned a few times. I think it's a crap tune but different strokes for different folkes as they say :ohmy:

Immense tuneage........strangely played at Soul Essence & Modern & Crossover venues a long time before crossing over to the NS dance floors.

Go & have your ears syringed Benji :D. Only joking mate, each to thier own & all that :thumbsup:.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

1. Richard Caiton - I like to get near you (always No 1 for me)

2. Mel Williams - Sweet girl of mine

3. Tearra - Just loving you

4. Brand New - Thousand Years

5. The Innersection - I'm in debt to you

Social source share

5mins-Differances.

i`m not resposible-Alex Brown.

Time is right for love-Bobby Reed.

Keep on Strieving/Come on let me love you-Moses Smith.(i like both but can`t decide what`s best :thumbsup: )

Look at me now-Terry Callier.

Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

5mins-Differances.

i`m not resposible-Alex Brown.

Time is right for love-Bobby Reed.

Come on let me love you-Moses Smith.

Look at me now-Terry Callier.

Heyup Wayne....good choices but not sure you got the right side of Moses Smith there ?

"Keep on strivin " is Deffo cross over but flip I'm not so sure ???

Great record tho :thumbsup:

Social source share

Heyup Wayne....good choices but not sure you got the right side of Moses Smith there ?

"Keep on strivin " is Deffo cross over but flip I'm not so sure ???

Great record tho :D

I like both sides but every month i change my mind what one i like best :thumbsup:

I did play Keep on Strieving out a few months ago so maybe i`ll edit and put both :ohmy:

Social source share

C coulter cant fight the feeling number one

natural impulse she went away

frederick hymess111 time aint gonna do me no favour

bobby wilburn im a dreamer

sonny til tears & misery :thumbsup: dont have to be dear if you had to put a record on to try and explain what its all about this would be my common denominator

see you x over boys at clacton

Social source share

My take on this is the greatest crossover records of all time for around a tenner......:yes::lol:

1. Tyrone Davis - You Keep Me Holding On - Dakar
  2. Artistics - Glad I Met You - Brunswick
  3. Betty Everett - I'm Falling In Love - Uni LP
  4. Bobby Bland - Where Baby Went - ABC Dunhill
  5. Bobby McClure - Was It Something I Said - Hi
Social source share

Right here we go Russ - buggar it's changed already!

Tropics - Hey you little girl - Topic

Topics - Hey girl (where are you going) - Chadwick

Differences - Five minutes - Mon'ca

Rotations - I can't find her - De Brossard

Bobby Burn - I'm a dreamer - Chant

Natural Impulse - She went away - Natural Impulse

Damn that's 6!

See you Saturday Russ!

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Parden my spellinghuh.gif

Florescent Smog All My Life

Turner Brothers Lets go fishing

Jeanie Tracey Making New Friends

Willie Tee Teasin you again

Charles Wison Trying to make a wrong thing right

Social source share

Guest biggray1

My take on this is the greatest crossover records of all time for around a tenner......:yes::lol:

1. Tyrone Davis - You Keep Me Holding On - Dakar
  2. Artistics - Glad I Met You - Brunswick
  3. Betty Everett - I'm Falling In Love - Uni LP
  4. Bobby Bland - Where Baby Went - ABC Dunhill
  5. Bobby McClure - Was It Something I Said - Hi

wow just played Tyrone Davis..how have I missed thisthumbsup.gifwonderful...ps i have this on Canadian Atco.

Social source share

Well here's my faves at the moment , I think they're xover ? but I'm sure I will be corrected if not.

in no particular order!

1/ Mel & Tim - I may not be what you want - Stax

2 /Robert Parker - I caught you in a lie - Nola

3/ Keni Lewis - Ain't Gonna make it - De-Vel

4/Hamilton, Joe Frank & Dennison - Now that I've got you - Playboy

5/ The Ovations - Till I find some way - XL records

not rare I know but do the bizz at the moment for me :yes:

Cheers

Swifty :lol:

Social source share

Don't know if these all class as X-over Russ but five personal favourites for me are-

Bobby King - Don't give up hope

Rhetta Hughes - Can't stand under this pressure

Perfections - Girl you better hurry

Dolly Gilmore - Don't you know you're the yes

San Francisco TKO's - Make up your mind

All the best Phil R

Edited by tiggerwoods
Social source share

Carstairs - it really hurts me :lol:

Ann Sexton - gone too long

Marva Whitney - ball of fire

Mob - i'd like to see more of you

TSU toranadoes - what good am i,got to get thru to you....

Frank Hutson - ole man me

and most of the others already mentioned....:yes: loads to go at....

Social source share

cant really pick a all time top 5 but for me these would be knockin around..............

GUITAR RAY-YOU GONNA WRECK MY LIFE (STAFFORD HEAVEN)

SAN FRAN SISCAN TKOS-MAKE UP YOUR MIND

VOLTAIRES ? -MY MY MY BABY

SANDY GOLDEN-YOUR LOVE IS EVERYTHING(OH MY GOD,INCREDIBLE)

INTERNATIONALS-BEAUTIFUL PHILOSOPHY

theres thousands though really,and my choices change all the time cos theres thousands of outstanding crossover tunes and thousands more we aint even heard yet ! i bloody love crossover i do

jason

how could i miss out RICHARD CAITON-ID LIKE TO GET NEAR YOU !! THAT WOULD DEFFO BE UP THERE

Edited by arnie j
Social source share

Managed to get my hands on an Alex Brown issue earlier this year and think I listen to it most days (sad, but what a song! Still looking for the LP mind, if anyone has one for sale?!!). Likewise the Moses Smith and Margie Joseph 45's quoted are great too IMO. thumbsup.gif

Lots of others named so far I don't know and will enjoy looking up, so thanks for starting this Russ as I might finally learn what is and what isn't classed as such.

Okay I'm maybe going to get corrected here on my interpretation of "Crossover" (I'm a simple man & to me it's just all soul), and hard to just pick 5 but here's some I have just picked out the box and maybe qualify?:

Albert Jones - Fifteen cent love (Kapp)

Choice of Colour - Your love (APT)

Rhonda Davis - Can you remember (Duke)...Thanks again Len!

Fantastic Puzzles - Come back (New Moon)

Unique Blend - Yes I'm in love (Eastbound)

LP wise, what about Gloria Scott - What am I gonna do / Ronn Matlock - You got the best of me / Leroy Hutson - Don't it make you feel good....and the like...or are these just classed as 70's soul?

I get confused what to call them so generally don't try, other than by which decade they came out. Guessing I'm not alone on that one.

Cheers,

Stevehatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Immense tuneage........strangely played at Soul Essence & Modern & Crossover venues a long time before crossing over to the NS dance floors.

Go & have your ears syringed Benji :lol:. Only joking mate, each to thier own & all that :yes:.

Russ

I remember Chuck Cockerham being played in Northern Rooms in mid 80's, before crossover was ever mentioned. Cliff Steele being the main one I remember spinning it.

Social source share

I remember Chuck Cockerham being played in Northern Rooms in mid 80's, before crossover was ever mentioned. Cliff Steele being the main one I remember spinning it.

There are a few records on the lists so far, that where played in Northern Rooms in the 80s or even 70s. They were played as floaters back than.:yes:

Social source share

A few people have said that some records mentioned have been played in Northern rooms and this is where I think arguments start, as one mans Northern can be another mans crossover and vise versa. A lot of peoples perception comes from what type of venue they heard the record first. For me crossover is about mid-temp records from the late 60's - early 70's (maybe 67-73, like Johnny Moore's Blue Rock, Jadan and Brunswick stuff). The Northern dance scene has embraced many different records at different periods of its evolution and so does the term crossover as more 'old style' modern records now seem to be put in this classification which differs from my understanding of what crossover is. Its horses for courses I suppose.

I do like reading these types of threads as it does highlight records people either don't know or haven't listened to for ages.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

your right Chalky i can remember going to Guys house in the mid/ late 80's and he was spinning it then as well, i always thought it was a strange one for him to choose cause mostly it was banging up tempo from him :yes:

Social source share

your right Chalky i can remember going to Guys house in the mid/ late 80's and he was spinning it then as well, i always thought it was a strange one for him to choose cause mostly it was banging up tempo from him :yes:

He had the occasional one from left field, one not really what you would call a Guy spin, Matt Brown -Sweet Thing another.

Social source share

A few people have said that some records mentioned have been played in Northern rooms and this is where I think arguments start, as one mans Northern can be another mans crossover and vise versa. A lot of peoples perception comes from what type of venue they heard the record first. For me crossover is about mid-temp records from the late 60's - early 70's (maybe 67-73, like Johnny Moore's Blue Rock, Jadan and Brunswick stuff). The Northern dance scene has embraced many different records at different periods of its evolution and so does the term crossover as more 'old style' modern records now seem to be put in this classification which differs from my understanding of what crossover is. Its horses for courses I suppose.

I do like reading these types of threads as it does highlight records people either don't know or haven't listened to for ages.

Think what some are saying crossover rooms didn't exist back then and the records were played in a full on Northern/60's rare Soul venue, not disputing what catagory you would put them in now, well some maybe as they aren't what I'd call crossover. Chuck Cockerham is the main one and credit being given elsewhere when in fact it came from the Northern/Rare Soul DJ's. LIke you I like reading these topics, they create plenty of discussion do make you revisit tracks you've not heard for some time.

Social source share

Nice thread...................I've just been reading the listings, so heres mine:

1) Freddie Terrell - You had it made/Why not me - Capitol.

2) Reo Lane - Give me your love - Bren.

3) Na Allen - Thanks for nothing - Atco.

4) Essex IV - My heart just can't take it/My reaction to you - Windmill.

5) Rosey Jones - Have love will travel - Today.

Laters, Ricardo.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert