What Is Soul/soulful

Hi Aid,

That was the beginning of my production days. I had to be 'overseen' by someone, thus the supervision. It was that man over woman thing. The glass ceiling was about ten inches thick. Not too many female producers back then, but I broke out and did my thing! I'm still waiting to be paid.

Lorraine

Great to see you on here and joining the topic...

I am sure you will add so much to what is a lifelong passion for many of us...

Maybe a question and answer thread would be great to get into your life story, i have sent you a message..

regards

steve

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What is soul?

For me it's when the music is greater than the sum of its parts, when your heart misses a beat when you hear it, when something inside you melts and your life is just that little bit better than it was.

'Bob & Fred's - I'll Be On My Way' , gets to me every time I hear it!

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

For me it always works best when it's melancholy, the shear heartbreak of it, so sometimes makes you feel worse, but you so choose to feel that way & relate the music to personal life experience.

Of course Northern can be uplifting too, but works for me best when the opposite happens.

But those mistakes & lost loves have more appeal when it comes to soul music.

God (& soul fans) loves a loser.

Aid.

Social source share

This is what made Motown great. Artist, writers, musicians, arrangers etc.

I agree Brian on Stevie. This haunting melody with the outstanding vocal is soul. But that bass line, listen to the bass. I want to say its Jamerson, but he's more lyrical. However, if it is he, he just laid in the cut of the melody and it sends the chills. Glad to hear it again. I don't want to get started on Levi.

Lorraine

HI LORRAINE,

NICE OF YOU TO JOIN THE THREAD AND GIVE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT FROM THE OTHER SIDE SO TO SPEAK.

I will have to mention my favourite track by Levi and the Tops-Ask The Lonely. This is one of the most soulful sounds i have had the pleasure to listen to in recent times and was not even aware of its existance until about five years ago, yet i have been into soul music for some forty five years.

You are obviously a fan of the Four Tops so what was your favourite from their catalogue?

Regards ROY

Social source share

HI LORRAINE,

NICE OF YOU TO JOIN THE THREAD AND GIVE YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT FROM THE OTHER SIDE SO TO SPEAK.

I will have to mention my favourite track by Levi and the Tops-Ask The Lonely. This is one of the most soulful sounds i have had the pleasure to listen to in recent times and was not even aware of its existance until about five years ago, yet i have been into soul music for some forty five years.

You are obviously a fan of the Four Tops so what was your favourite from their catalogue?

Regards ROY

Hi Roy,

Levi's voice is an instrument. It cracks! It cracks at all the right places. He can sing those begging, don't leave me baby songs ("Just Ask the Lonely"). I love it. My all time favorite of the Tops is "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'". Love the song, the arrangement, the vocals, everything.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert