Worst Packing Ever? Taking The P***

Dean

Following a previous moaning thread about $35.55 post and packing for a 45 from musicman59 ( ). Purchased 25 April, arrived today 28 June. Packed in a 12" LP package (not that unusual in itself), postage on package is $24.68 . . . . but check the packing inside. Not going to get this record out without tearing the label I think. Could try steaming it a little perhaps. It's a heavy duty adhesive on the tape.

I think I must have annoyed him when I questionned the $35.55 postage!

Seller is A. Press, 152 N. Edgewood St, Ph. PA. 13139

post-5677-0-08035400-1309282636_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest sharmo 1

Dean that look's really deliberate mate any record collector or dealer would know the effects of any sort of adheasive material on a record lable.I had on really bad one from Jamaica once the singles were without sleeves and were put without any form of padding in a corn flakes box wrapped in news paper and GLUE sealed mind you at least the records played which is a bit of a gamle with west Indian records hope it all goes well for you and you can get some sort of compensation regards S.

Social source share

Tin of lighter petrol will sort that out ( no i don't mean set it on fire), don't look like one of them labels where the colour will run............i'd still want me money back.

Social source share

Following a previous moaning thread about $35.55 post and packing for a 45 from musicman59 ( ). Purchased 25 April, arrived today 28 June. Packed in a 12" LP package (not that unusual in itself), postage on package is $24.68 . . . . but check the packing inside. Not going to get this record out without tearing the label I think. Could try steaming it a little perhaps. It's a heavy duty adhesive on the tape.

Dean,is that "Get out"?...this shitehawk needs sorting out.Even a collosal numpty who hates music wouldn't package a record like that.

Musicman59 hold your head in shame.......Boycott!!!!!.

Social source share

yeah, you should definitely try lighter fluid or orange gum-out before steam, you don't want to expose a record to heat.

an obnoxious packing experience i had was when someone put a 45 inbetween 2 pieces of cardboard and stapled it shut. not just a few staples but literally staples all around every side, it was horrible. I spent about 20 minutes prying staples open with a knife, by the time i got the record out it was cracked and had staple indentations all over it.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I seem to remember that there was a story about numerous copies of 'Pyramid' being shipped out in plain envelopes and inevitably arriving smashed to pieces, that would have SERIOUSLY pissed me off!!!

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

...the best packaging was a couple of 45s that arrived with blocks of wood and padding in place of the cardboard stiffeners, this was also sealed in cardboard, NOBODY was gonna damage these!

Ste.

Social source share

...the best packaging was a couple of 45s that arrived with blocks of wood and padding in place of the cardboard stiffeners, this was also sealed in cardboard, NOBODY was gonna damage these!

Ste.

Best packaging I ever saw was japanese site www.reggaecollector.com. heavy duty mailing envelope. inside the envelope a strong card board 7" box that holds up to 10/12 records. inside the box on top of the record lots of styrofoam padding material. record itself in a cardboard sleeve and then put into a plastic bag. plus a shipping time of 3 days from Japan to Germany and postage of about 5 quid makes this the best service ever since I started collecting.

Social source share

A good wax furniture polish can dissolve this type of adhesive, (pledge etc) leave for a few mins, test a little part of the B side label to see if colours lift first though ,

clean any excess polish off that may get onto playing surface with record cleaning solution, or mister muscle, again avoiding label, :thumbsup:

Looks like it was deffo done on purpose the Tw**.

Social source share

As several have said lighter fuel may do it.

Off topic slightly, but that old chestnut and shipping costs. Just not got a package, because the guy insisted that I pay for full Fedex service on a record $30's odd, I asked him to send 'Global Priority' about $12, but he insisted that I pay for Fedex, he said it will get there 'quicker and safer'. Package gets to the UK, Fedex then say they can't find the address and send it back to the U.S.

Fedex maybe the dogs nuts in the U.S., but since the scaled back here a few years ago they hopeless hopeless.

Social source share

:thumbsup: That'd be going back mate I think. Never ceased to be amazed ... how difficult can it be?

On the one hand had a 45 in a 7" metal tin; he'd trimmed a paper sleeve and card up to fit and also filled it with those little foam things. Where on earth he found it I dunno but I've kept the blighter. You could have jumped up and down on it and it'd have survived.

Alternatively, received two of the most expensive things I've ever bought in a bloody pizza box. Nearly shat when I saw it and spent about half an hour with my ear alongside 'shaking' it ever so gently :D

Social source share

i got 45 from states last week.

2 pieces of thin cardboard.roughly cut out of a cardboard box,as weak as you could get.was inside jiffy bag(not even a bubble wrap one).inside a express mail envelope.

i could bend the whole lot easy when got it.then opened envelope & record was hanging out of jiffy bag with the crap cardboard neither side of the record.

how it wasnt broken i dont know.

thank god as postage was $29 & customs got hold of it & charged me £41.:thumbsup:

had a few like that & an lp from states,just in a thin lp mailer,no cardboard,just an old bit of newspaper wrapped round it.

steve.

Social source share

i got one once from the U.S .in between two pieces of thin card with an inch of tape on each of the four sides....no envelope....jiffy bag ....nothing! Mind you it was still in one piece amazingly. Was only a Nine Times demo but would have been really cheesed off if it was broken. :thumbsup:

Oh...and i reckon that's been packed like that on purpose too mate.... Bar Steward!!!!!

Edited by trog
Social source share

Guest gfarrington

ive had a 45 wrapped in a single piece of newspaper, the record was in three pieces , & is now glued on the inside of a record box, i sent a email to complain but the seller was having none of it

Social source share

My worst was a box that was approx a 10 inch cube. Rolling about inside were two single pages of newspaper scrunched up. I suppose you'd say they were each the size of an average egg.

The only other thing in the box was the record - oh, and a large amount of air. No sleeve, no cardboard, no polystyrene shapes, nothing at all to stop the record moving about in the box.

On the outside of the box was a large bootmark ( you could see the laceholes in the dirty impression) which was also deeply dented. This was partly on top of the customs charge label, which to me proved that whoever kicked this box had done so after the parcel was in the customs/UK postal systems care.

Of course I didnt find any of this out until after I'd paid the additional customs charge, which from memory was about £ 35 on top of the £ 190 odd I'd paid for the record..

I photographed the packaging and the item - all 100+ pieces of it. I honestly didn't think a seven inch 45 could smash into so many small pieces.

I got nowhere with the post office/customs, but did manage to get some money back through ebay/paypal. To crown matters off the exchange rate had fluctuated quite wildly, and because I'd charged paypal to my credit card and got stung on the dollar/pound exchange rate I lost even more.

Think in the end I got back about 140, meaning I lost about £ 85, but on the plus side I had got a dented box for my money......

They say you can't put a price on memories......:yes:

Social source share

well thats me had 4 records in jiffy bags this week.

all with 2 thin weak bits of cardboard.

from states & uk.

all from people who buy & sell records.wonder if they would be happy if i sent them records like that.

just glad i dont send them like that.

steve.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert