Can Any Of The New Acts Really Cut It

Following on from the plan B thread, I 've heard lots of great white and black hopes over the last few years,

Plan B, my comments have alrady been stated, Eli paper boy reid, made it through 3 tracks before I slat the CD outta the window in dispair, Fitz and the herberts, or whatever that're called, are you serious? and many more ( dont even mention duffy!) and basically apart from the Timmion lot, none of them do it for me. There are the odd exceptions, I really rate the cooking of 3 burners, and I'm willing to listen to others I dont know.

Am I wrong to compare these upcoming retro acts to the greats from the 6ts and 7ts and if so who do I compare them to? Mick Hucknall and Lisa Stansfeild??????

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

for me the twin spans are just brill, it's a project from the moon invaders guys...

also:

al supersonic & teenagers

vibe creators

Social source share

Retro acts are just that , acts . I struggle to find the words to explain , Music has to have context its a reflection of an time and a place these new acts although good are mimicing what went before , its already been done better and in context . I think I may have given myself a headache :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Daptone records

Sharon Jones and Charles Bradley are playing at the barbican next wednesday

Cant wait.

If you like your RnB check out Nick Waterhouse Someplace on Pres

Al H :hatsoff2:

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Are they gonna tour any other places together Al???

Charles Bradley... Really like this guy and Sharon Jones don't need no introduction....

As the years pass we will always get some artists who take early soul as an influence, same as certain bands taking influence from 60s/70s rock/ pop etc i guess...

Some will be good, some not so and others duff :hatsoff2: ..

Social source share

Love the Cookin' on 3 Burners 45 from a couple of years back with Kylie Auldist on vocals, also Kings Go Forth (tracks like "Don't take my Shadow" & "You're the one") or am I out of date already?!

Incognito, D-Influence, Angie Stone + loads more all great over recent years too I think.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

really rate raphael saadiq, saw him on the jools holland show and he was outstanding. what about celo green????

Rapael is great, forgot to mention him, of course sharon and charles and notably James Hunter who's one of the best I've heard, but Celo, is a no no for me Jim!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Try Kenny Bobien or Byron Stingly if you want to hear contemporary soul music to dance to.

If you want however to compare it to Northern take your head out your arse and stick to old music

F***ng same old same old debate.

Plan B a very very poor mans Common and f**k all to do with soul, pass me my syringe of gin please nurse.

Social source share

Try Kenny Bobien or Byron Stingly if you want to hear contemporary soul music to dance to.

If you want however to compare it to Northern take your head out your arse and stick to old music

Plan B a very very poor mans Common and f**k all to do with soul, pass me my syringe of gin please nurse.

Byron is great, pity paris brightledge aint doing much nowadays, and I know su su pretty well, michelle weeks and obviously joi stand out from the garage crowd but its a bit more gospel influenced than straight ahead soul.

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

I feel yesteryears pedigree of great singers/groups/harmonies, musicians, song writing, arranging and producing really take some beating. They are a phenomenal yard stick for anybody to aspire to. It can be done today with two things - passion and money. The passion is to take the time to create a melody and chords and try and get that right, plus the arrangement that will compliment it. Then the money to find a studio and musicians who share that passion and can express themselves accordingly creating the basic rhythm tracks. Then, singers who are good and don't need vocal pitch correction etc. The difficult part is to market the product and appeal to the target audience in the first instance, and then suck in others who may fancy the tune/production. Of course, in this day and age the music fans are fragmented and are difficult to tap in to and therefore without expenditure to create a buzz and get sales, it's a tough nut to crack.

Can new acts really cut it? Yes. Will we ever hear of them? Probably not because they never get a chance. Why don't they get a chance? Because the music business has issues and yesteryears artists and records were so good, why bother with new stuff.

Social source share

you always talk in a way that gets me moist :ohmy:

Not going with plan B at all myself, can i share your needle Jock :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It seems to me there are two distinctive types of act here. (Typical Northern Soul fan, inventing more pigeon holes than you can find in Hartlepool.)

Acts that are produced in a way that lends itself to the past, like IMO Plan B, Duffy, even Amy Winehouse.

And then there are those that are truely modern, and doing stuff that should relate to their peers. I'm struggling to remember the guys name, which is a shocking Michael because he put on a great show. The fella who sang at Cleethorpes, gave me a real jaw dropping, WOW moment, a few seconds into his first song. Noel .....arghhh!!

Absolutely brillant. And I would think relevant to young people who may have a liking for the soulful sounds of today.

Noel McCoy??

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

check out the vocals of John Turrell on the very recently released smoove and turrell 'eccentric audio' LP, or on recent Kraak & Smaak LP. Both on vinyl both excellent,

alice russell tremendous recent release with mr scruff

yes to Kylie Audist, check out 'in a week in a day' on tru thoughts

Hidden Jazz Quartet

I don't think Plan B etc come into it for me- there are loads and loads of great new sounds without tip toe'ing into this type of contrived pop music which frankly is not aimed at me and I dare say Plan B etc do not want me to like it- its for young folk to dig and draw from what they will with all its influences, contrivance and references and more power to them !

I thought his little speech about mods in 2 button suits etc was a bit embarassing but thats speaking as myself-if I was 13 or so and heard that I would have been digging it I'm sure. No need to compare anything with anything really, especially something 40 odd years apart.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert