Hy-Tones On Ebay- Don't Even Know My Name

But you REALLY DID have to be there............it's all about the big sound system/dancehall thing.........most people on here understand that.........and I'm sure I've seen people who are saying it's crap use that very argument for a tune in the past!!

That opening drum roll and brass, and then the brass again towards the end...........that's what this record is all about.........a bit like the Majestics if you like.

Still, if you don't like it, you don't like it......we can't all be right! :wink:

I always loved Lee Otis Valentine & The Lost Souls :thumbsup:

Anybody else got that crude looking R.I.P. boot/pressing of it?

Cheers,

Mark R

No but I have a white label test pressing - has the proper B side on the flip - of a cancelled UK 45 release of this, illegal or legal I do not know but I don't know of another copy. Run off number is LYN 29641 which obviously means it was pressed by Lyntone (the people who used to make flexidiscs). Belongs to a friend on Soul Source.

Hard to value something like this but what's the chances of finding one - and did anyone else know it existed, I certainly didn't until I saw it.

Social source share

God knows what your other top 4 must be like ikf that's in the top 5....Javells, Mickey Moonshine, what else?

hey Pete whats wrong with mm,I bought this not long after it first came out :excl:

Social source share

No but I have a white label test pressing - has the proper B side on the flip - of a cancelled UK 45 release of this, illegal or legal I do not know but I don't know of another copy. Run off number is LYN 29641 which obviously means it was pressed by Lyntone (the people who used to make flexidiscs). Belongs to a friend on Soul Source.

Hard to value something like this but what's the chances of finding one - and did anyone else know it existed, I certainly didn't until I saw it.

I didn't I'd love to see it in the flesh, as it were.

Ady

Social source share

Pat Brady for me "Lee Otis Valentine cover up", long before Gary. Did Gary buy Pat's? He had a few of Pat's biggies Junior McCants, Michael Christian etc.

Definitely a Pat Brady record first played spring of 1985, the copy Pat bought was offered to me by John Anderson for a massive £500, this was off the radar price wise in 1985. To put the price in context delites lover cuppy at the time was £30, William Powell around £50 etc. etc.

It sounded fine when I heard it at soul bowl and it went big for Pat for a year or two, have to say though listening to it now it does sound bloody awful.

Edited by monkey
Social source share

But you REALLY DID have to be there............it's all about the big sound system/dancehall thing.........most people on here understand that.........and I'm sure I've seen people who are saying it's crap use that very argument for a tune in the past!!

That opening drum roll and brass, and then the brass again towards the end...........that's what this record is all about.........a bit like the Majestics if you like.

Still, if you don't like it, you don't like it......we can't all be right! :wink:

I always loved Lee Otis Valentine & The Lost Souls :thumbsup:

Anybody else got that crude looking R.I.P. boot/pressing of it?

Cheers,

Mark R

Funnily enough - I was there - I regularly went to Bradford from around 89 onwards, so did hear it over a big system, yada yada yada, but no matter how much you polish a turd, it's still essentially a turd.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Pete,

i thought it was snowy or maybe damons? (upside down?)

yep sounds like the same one.

don't know the provenance.....I have had mine since early 1990s.

i know who it came from and was sure it wasnt legit...could be wrong though...it often happens.

not much point in posting a pic as it is just a blank label

cheers

steve

Social source share

Hi Pete,

i thought it was snowy or maybe damons? (upside down?)

yep sounds like the same one.

don't know the provenance.....I have had mine since early 1990s.

i know who it came from and was sure it wasnt legit...could be wrong though...it often happens.

not much point in posting a pic as it is just a blank label

cheers

steve

I know where they came from now Steve, I'll PM you see if it's the same as yours...

Social source share

Definitely a Pat Brady record first played spring of 1985, the copy Pat bought was offered to me by John Anderson for a massive £500, this was off the radar price wise in 1985. To put the price in context delites lover cuppy at the time was £30, William Powell around £50 etc. etc.

It sounded fine when I heard it at soul bowl and it went big for Pat for a year or two, have to say though listening to it now it does sound bloody awful.

It was and still is a big floor filler and as Mark said you probably had to be there and in a big hall. Doesn't have the same appeal in spare room in the house :). Pat had some great records in the mid to late 80's.

Social source share

Well, never in the history of Soul Source have I been so outvoted on a record - there's only me on the entire site who doesn't like it! Have to say I am very surprised, unless there's a frightened few out there. Really though, if we all liked the same thing it definitely WOULD be boring.

and me.....dont like the Carstairs either btw

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!