Hy-Tones On Ebay- Don't Even Know My Name

Ah, that old Chestnut.

IMO this is one of the worst records ever played under the banner "Northern soul" - another being "Lady In Green"- which is also popular in some circles (but so are Gimp masks).

As stated it sounds like a bunch of preppy college boys doing a Glee style lash up of something that was once a Soul record.

It's lacking in any musical "bollox".

To summarise it's got nothing that appeals to me, and therefore IMO belongs in the shite can.

If you "Had to be there" then i'm fcuking glad i wasn't.

I love the Magnetics too lol........I was going to comment on ya gimp mask needing a zip for ya ear 'oles, but didnt want to be so rude......

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Ah, that old Chestnut.

IMO this is one of the worst records ever played under the banner "Northern soul" - another being "Lady In Green"- which is also popular in some circles (but so are Gimp masks).

As stated it sounds like a bunch of preppy college boys doing a Glee style lash up of something that was once a Soul record.

It's lacking in any musical "bollox".

To summarise it's got nothing that appeals to me, and therefore IMO belongs in the shite can.

You do have a pint Pikey. Althought I'd swap the superb drop everything and get this record now - Magnetics. And replace it with the tired, out of tune shite that is the Professionals - Thats Why I Love You.

Social source share

You do have a pint Pikey.

Mikey, It is hard to find Pikey without a pint!!

I woul d sluighly disagree; The Professionals is tired - 'Lady in Green' has just never been any good.

I heard 'Good News' out last night and me and Roger Banks/Des Parker/Beggsie (it was one of them, i can't remember which i was sitting next to at the time now LOL) couldn't fathom it was the same group - mind you i guess they were just trying to make a pop hit at the time, and not please us lot nearly 50 years later. Though if they had had hindsight one would have hoped they'd have made a better effort on the pleasure to come later front.

Social source share

Ah, that old Chestnut.

George Lemons anyone ..? whistling.gif

Oh dear.. Each of these worth ten of any would be northern funk trash - Fact. wink.gif

Social source share

Ian, Ian, Ian...you have to validate that statement by naming the ten (twenty) northern funk tracks otherwise it is meaningless wink.gif

I think you doth protest too much Dave.The Hytones will be in your head very soon........" i love you just the same and you dont even know my name........."....you have been warned.:lol:

Social source share

It's in my top 5 and I've been looking for one for ages, it brings back happy memories from the 8t's when Gary Spencer used to play it I think, my mind is a little mushy now so I may be wrong! Anyway at that time I bought a boot of the record which I think is still rare. I know a few people who have the record on Southern Artists but the Bell copy is more desireable. This copy went for too much in my opinion but the book price is low considering its rarity to other records. I will still look out for the original on either label as I think it's a tremendous tune. It's great to read all these comments on the record and that not all are tastes are the same!

Social source share

I think you doth protest too much Dave.The Hytones will be in your head very soon........" i love you just the same and you dont even know my name........."....you have been warned.:lol:

Kev, that won't work mate; I can't even remember the titles and words to records I own let alone those I never will...and I am in after niter mode - so pretty useless really lol

Just trying to stimulate a healthy debate on why some would like this song over some unknown funky northern which could be great...or even worse yes.gif

Social source share

Kev, that won't work mate; I can't even remember the titles and words to records I own let alone those I never will...and I am in after niter mode - so pretty useless really lol

Just trying to stimulate a healthy debate on why some would like this song over some unknown funky northern which could be great...or even worse :lol:

I personally dont prefer it over anything else particularly, i enjoy most things played at the better venues - enjoy a healthy mix of everything, including some of the funkier things to be honest all mixed in with some classy oldies, of which IMHO the Hy - Tones is, when ever I hear it, it always sounds fresh as it has never been thrashed to death like some things we could mention. Each to thier own, its just personal opinion really - not a case of he/she who shoots loudest is right laugh.gif . (That comment wasnt aimed at you BTW Dave, just a generalisation).

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Just trying to stimulate a healthy debate on why some would like this song over some unknown funky northern which could be great...or even worse :lol:

Der da der da da der,der da der da der woa girl, I love you just the same tho I dont even know your name.......etc may have got mi de da's a bit mixed up, but you know what I mean........laugh.gif

Russ

Social source share

I love it and used to have a Bell copy many moons ago.

It is a track that really comes to life over a club PA rather than the home Hi-Fi...the way the wall of sound rolls along is superb complete with brass punches and fab group harmonies. There's also a more stripped down version in circulation that was born from an original Bell acetate from a collector in North London, as I recall...not as good as the finished take, mind.

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Each to thier own, its just personal opinion really - not a case of he/she who shoots loudest is right :thumbsup: . (That comment wasnt aimed at you BTW Dave, just a generalisation).

Best Russ

Exactly mate - it's just personal opinion and those who have taste - which clearly here you have not LOL :shades:

Social source share

Maudlin Giffer record.....sling it in the skip with Doug Banks,Soft Walkin,George Lemons and The Magnetics.....or comp them on an American Graffiti style LP..

Agree with you on DB,that Soft walkin rock n roll,and George Lemons - but Magnetics? Another one who's "posting for effect".

Hytones is a snapshot of the 60's,and NS, as it was BITD.

.."Chills running down my spine,make we wanna lose my mind!" (for Dave Abbott).

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Agree with you on DB,that Soft walkin rock n roll,and George Lemons - but Magnetics? Another one who's "posting for effect".

IN MY OPINION All the Magnetics Northern records are great except for When I'm With My baby, very poor song, the B side though is 1000 times better, Count The Days.

Never understood how people can dislike Lady In Green, it's got all the ingredients; great vocals, good song, good to dance to, it's even a rare record...

Social source share

Funny I was chatting to Woody about it at Mick Lloyds last Worcester do and he told me the story of how he bought it- you have both great taste and I look forward to hearing it out soon- try to hear his spot next Friday in Worcester- all the best and ktf

It was woody,s all time want for years and when he managed to get it some years ago, it made his soul heaven, we both love it, and it gets played out at every opportunity, we all have different tastes on this scene, and it would not do for us all to be like sheep, so no falling out hatsoff2.gif

we never thought it would go for as much as it did, however, if a collector bought it, then price don't matter , for as woody always says to me, a record is only worth as much as you are willing to pay for it,and always believe in your records, and I think they are very wise words :thumbsup:

Social source share

.."Chills running down my spine,make we wanna lose my mind!" (for Dave Abbott).

I have to say they are very good lyrics, Kev thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Personally i quite like it but this might spoil it for you, the next time you hear that intro picture the silhouette of Sir Brucie doing the elbow/fist on chin thing, beginning of the generation game and then put in "Life is the name of the game and i wanna play the game with you"

Good tune good tune.

Phil.

Edited by philb
Social source share

Personally i quite like it but this might spoil it for you, the next time you hear that intro picture the silhouette of Sir Brucie doing the elbow/fist on chin thing, beginning of the generation game and then put in "Life is the name of the game and i wanna play thet game with you"

Good tune good tune.

Phil.

Oh please Phil - I used to love it until you gave me that visionary! :lol: Musically, it even has exactly the same key changes!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I gave it another listen to see if I was wrong about it but it was actually worse than I remember it. The Javells is more soulful than this. George Lemons has a rival...

happy hytone to you,happy hytones to you

happy hytones dear peter

happy hytone to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

its his birthday xxxxxxxxxxxx :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

I gave it another listen to see if I was wrong about it but it was actually worse than I remember it. The Javells is more soulful than this. George Lemons has a rival...

i quite like the hi tones!..i was offered it by rob thomas a long time ago, but didn't want to pay £1200 for it , it was a minter on southern arts, however george lemons is diabolical!!!!!.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I bought a Bell copy a year ago for around £500- vg copy but plays through well. It was a want of mine for years and not easy to find. I think it's pure quality and brings me back to the days when Gary Spencer used to grace the decks with it all those years ago- good to see it pleases and upsets so many people ! lol

Social source share

I bought a Bell copy a year ago for around £500- vg copy but plays through well. It was a want of mine for years and not easy to find. I think it's pure quality and brings me back to the days when Gary Spencer used to grace the decks with it all those years ago- good to see it pleases and upsets so many people ! lol

Pat Brady for me "Lee Otis Valentine cover up", long before Gary. Did Gary buy Pat's? He had a few of Pat's biggies Junior McCants, Michael Christian etc.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Doesn't matter - I'm not going to change my mind just because you lot like it !

seems strange this pete......you usually champion the most amount of white rubbish......oh well err each to their own lol

Social source share

But you REALLY DID have to be there............it's all about the big sound system/dancehall thing.........most people on here understand that.........and I'm sure I've seen people who are saying it's crap use that very argument for a tune in the past!!

That opening drum roll and brass, and then the brass again towards the end...........that's what this record is all about.........a bit like the Majestics if you like.

Still, if you don't like it, you don't like it......we can't all be right! :wink:

I always loved Lee Otis Valentine & The Lost Souls :thumbsup:

Anybody else got that crude looking R.I.P. boot/pressing of it?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!