Soul Trending

Barry

At one time it was all Crossover, another R&B, now funk elements are in vogue on the scene from what I understand.

Trending is a great thing as it can only expand followers knowledge of black music as a whole, widens the target and reduces the narrow arrow that Northern once was.

But how does it happen?

Is there a conscious effort by certain jocks to take it that (whichever) way?

Or is it initiated by the dealers, maybe, passing on to jocks the only 'new' sounds that are available to an ever-hungry and curious scene?

Or does it take the movers and shakers to say it's okay before certain groups of people are able to find other forms of Soul accessible?

It can only end up with people eventually understanding that there is a big wide world of black music out there - but will this ultimately bring about the death of the Northern Scene as such, replacing it with a beautiful world where all forms of retro-ethnic music can be played?

The church has never been broader than at the moment.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

At one time it was all Crossover, another R&B, now funk elements are in vogue on the scene from what I understand.

Trending is a great thing as it can only expand followers knowledge of black music as a whole, widens the target and reduces the narrow arrow that Northern once was.

But how does it happen?

Is there a conscious effort by certain jocks to take it that (whichever) way?

Or is it initiated by the dealers, maybe, passing on to jocks the only 'new' sounds that are available to an ever-hungry and curious scene?

Or does it take the movers and shakers to say it's okay before certain groups of people are able to find other forms of Soul accessible?

It can only end up with people eventually understanding that there is a big wide world of black music out there - but will this ultimately bring about the death of the Northern Scene as such, replacing it with a beautiful world where all forms of retro-ethnic music can be played?

The church has never been broader than at the moment.

Possibly so Barrington , but I feel that day will not come for a while , as there are many content with worshipping the same gospel from the pages of the bible .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I think there a reationary element at play, for instance its not suprising that after a midtempo, tricky to dance to movement, like crossover, the next trends, latin and funky N, have an orientation towards the dancefloor.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

The tempo thing; was there less young blood on the scene when the tempo dropped? Did tempo's drop?

Well there was certainy loads more young peeps on the scene in the 8TS when I got into it, and that was the beat ballad era! 'Panic is on' was massive along with kurt harris, jonnhy maestro ect, hardly stompers, but again I think was reactionary to what had gone before, ie wigan stompers. The re-assurgence in the late 9ts was about 5o somethings returning so maybe it was about satisfying that older crowd with slower tempo's and more soulful sounds?

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

I for one like getting my funk on! For me it's a welcome injection of a different kind of beat and vibe. Actually, I don't like it I LOVE IT!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

The european side of things, weekenders, dj's, collectors has this cross-pollenated at all with the UK scene?

Who know's Barry as for cross pollenating I would love to read a post from Dave Thorley and Malaka, Arthur Fenn, Brett Franklin Steve Plumb or even Glyn and Ethna Thornhill. But to me, Barry the term Northern Soul is still dead, like many on here we use this forum as a pathway for soul music and nothing other than that. What a great opening well scripted post Barry - but it's sad that many on here fail to intergrate with each other on the front page or hide in the cross over threaded theme :lol: . But hey ho !

Barrington read your comments along with Ian on another thread about B/M . And now the Marvin Holmes And Justice thread is dead and cleared - I cant be arsed to route out the Kev McCord 12"s etc.

Nikolas :thumbsup: .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Soul girl I've updated my funky youtube channel if you need to git yo funk on

You spoil me! :thumbsup:

EDIT: What's your channel called?

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Great post, Barry :thumbsup: As a simple punter with broad tastes, the variety of music and nights keeps things fresh. I really don't get why people would want each event to have the same sounds and feel - although I accept that if a venue played a genre you really hated, you'd skip it.

From my recent experience at the Euroculture weekender in Manchester, the European soul fans had no problems with the "genres" bleeding into one another. Speaking from personal experience, it really does help to listen and dance to sounds that are fresh to my ears amonst an "up for it" crowd, rather than hearing it as an opening set in front of two punters and a dog :lol:

The good thing, from the soul scene's point of view, is that these events are taking place under under the same ethos and spirit - and some cases, the same roof - as events with more "traditional" sounds. If anything, I see it as a strengthening, rather than diluting the scene......

With all this "soul trending" going on, no need for folks to ponder about the "direction the scene is taking" .... a couple of years ago "gritty, uptempo '60's" was the new black, now overtaken by hastily-made cardboard signs in dealers' boxes, marked "funky northern":yes: If you missed it, don't worry - it'll be around again in a couple of years time, bumping back in to the folks who hadn't dropped it anyway....

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Who know's Barry as for cross pollenating I would love to read a post from Dave Thorley and Malaka, Arthur Fenn, Brett Franklin Steve Plumb or even Glyn and Ethna Thornhill. But to me, Barry the term Northern Soul is still dead, like many on here we use this forum as a pathway for soul music and nothing other than that. What a great opening well scripted post Barry - but it's sad that many on here fail to intergrate with each other on the front page or hide in the cross over threaded theme :thumbsup: . But hey ho !

Barrington read your comments along with Ian on another thread about B/M . And now the Marvin Holmes And Justice thread is dead and cleared - I cant be arsed to route out the Kev McCord 12"s etc.

Nikolas :thumbsup: .

Hi Nick, just read this (sorry not that active on forums, busy etc) i can't really answer Barry's initial post, not even sure if there is a 'Trending', i suppose i get pigeonholed as a follower of crossover (whatever that is ?) but in all honesty i like an eclectic mix of soul music, i've often said in public and on here i don't care if a record is made in 1962 or next week, as long as it has the sound then that's good enough for me. I've never really considered myself just a Northern soul fan (i'm just a lover of soul music in all its varied forms and genres), i feel that would have just denied myself the opportunity to discover and hear some much wonderful (and bad) music since i was around 16 years of age. I never consciously went out and played mid-tempo 70's at any venue to try and influence anyone, it's just the style of music i enjoyed and collected, and the majority of venues had an open policy, example, Soulsville Leeds, all Steve Cato's Soul or Nothing ventures encouraged a wide spectrum of dj's /collectors to play whatever they wanted (within the wide crucible that is soul ). I only attend venues where i feel i'll hear the sort of sounds that will excite and educate me, sometimes it doesn't always work but on the occasion it does then it continues to keep my desire for record collecting burning. Richard Bayley makes excellent and valid points about the recent Euro Manchester weekender, we both were there for the full weekend, but arguably the best day was the Monday, for once it was a true across the board event, the guys from the Twisted wheel played fabulous Northern tracks, we had Marc Forrest and Matt Fox (Germany) playing great 60's and 70's soul, Dave Ripolles and Edu (Spain) playing fantastic modern (inc. 70's) with Adam Leaver on fire too, there was no 'Trending' that day just a fantastic up for it crowd with people who had and have a superb ear for Soul music.........Hallelujah for that !!

Brett

Social source share

Hi Nick, just read this (sorry not that active on forums, busy etc) i can't really answer Barry's initial post, not even sure if there is a 'Trending', i suppose i get pigeonholed as a follower of crossover (whatever that is ?) but in all honesty i like an eclectic mix of soul music, i've often said in public and on here i don't care if a record is made in 1962 or next week, as long as it has the sound then that's good enough for me. I've never really considered myself just a Northern soul fan (i'm just a lover of soul music in all its varied forms and genres), i feel that would have just denied myself the opportunity to discover and hear some much wonderful (and bad) music since i was around 16 years of age. I never consciously went out and played mid-tempo 70's at any venue to try and influence anyone, it's just the style of music i enjoyed and collected, and the majority of venues had an open policy, example, Soulsville Leeds, all Steve Cato's Soul or Nothing ventures encouraged a wide spectrum of dj's /collectors to play whatever they wanted (within the wide crucible that is soul ). I only attend venues where i feel i'll hear the sort of sounds that will excite and educate me, sometimes it doesn't always work but on the occasion it does then it continues to keep my desire for record collecting burning. Richard Bayley makes excellent and valid points about the recent Euro Manchester weekender, we both were there for the full weekend, but arguably the best day was the Monday, for once it was a true across the board event, the guys from the Twisted wheel played fabulous Northern tracks, we had Marc Forrest and Matt Fox (Germany) playing great 60's and 70's soul, Dave Ripolles and Edu (Spain) playing fantastic modern (inc. 70's) with Adam Leaver on fire too, there was no 'Trending' that day just a fantastic up for it crowd with people who had and have a superb ear for Soul music.........Hallelujah for that !!

Brett

NICE ONE BRETT :thumbsup:

Social source share

there was no 'Trending' that day just a fantastic up for it crowd

I'm pleased to hear it Brett.

This question though wasn't aimed directly at yourself, or anyone in particular, nor any particular night/event.

It was a question/comment on the way the scene fluctuates musically and it has and does for sure.

I was trying to find out people'ss views on that not anything else.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I'm pleased to hear it Brett.

This question though wasn't aimed directly at yourself, or anyone in particular, nor any particular night/event.

It was a question/comment on the way the scene fluctuates musically and it has and does for sure.

I was trying to find out people'ss views on that not anything else.

Hi Barry, yes i know that mate, and i didn't take it as such, any forum post can develop and quite rightly bring in differing responses as befits the general feel of the thread.

I still can't really answer your initial post, i don't go to every venue so my view takes in the events i attend and they have always (to me anyway) been open minded with a variation of sounds, probably unfair of me to comment on the Northern scene, even though i have recently attended the Bamberg, Edinburgh (Hibs alldayer) and the Feb Lifeline events, which i believe push the more progressive rare 60's sounds, and all seemed healthy and certainly those events incorporated differing styles without going away from their core sound..ie..rare uptempo 60's. (although at Bamberg i was mainly in the modern room).

ATB Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert