Best Soul Compilation

Unlike a lot of people on here my access to soul music has - apart from a brief period in the 60s - been via soul compilation albums.

I wonder which other members get their soul fix this way? And which albums do the rate the most highly?

For me an album which has to one of the best and seems to me to actually merit the title of 'work' of art' is Kent LP 061 Big City Soul Sounds: NYC Soul from around 1986.

Consisting of ballads, some big and brash and others more tentative this album showcased a type of recording that in the main I had not heard too often prior its purchase. For a long time after buying it it was rarely off my record player. The other day Io came across it again and realized just how superb it is. Just great song after great song

Big City Soul Sounds - Kent 061

SIDE ONE: Castinets - Chuck Jackson / New Neighbourhood - Tommy Hunt / Welcome To Dreamsville - Sammy Ambrose / In My Tenement - Roosevelt Grier / The Man Who Had Everything - Junior Lewis / This Empty Place - The Tangiers / Remind My Baby Of Me - Billy Byers / No Pity (In The Naked City) - Jacky Wilson

SIDE TWO: Do It Now - Bessie Banks / If I Had You - Big Maybelle / I'm Yours - The Shirelles / Turn Back Time - Judy Clay / This Is My Prayer - Theodore Kilgore / The Time - Baby Washington / Love That Man - Maxine Brown / Say It Again - Marie Knight

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Two of my favourites from Kent, and one from Chess. The Chess Golden Decade is a particular fav home player. I think there was a series of 9, this vol 8 being the last chronological one with Vol 9 as a sampler. Would like to own them all but never see them, don't know if they're pricey or not?

post-5677-0-60659600-1307975404_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-31213100-1307975405_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-98671700-1307975405_thumb.jp

Social source share

Bought the charley sampler and the stateside sampler in the 8ts, and still play them now, not particurly but some ace deep and slow stuff just for listening. Also the modern soul story vols 1 -3 are excelllent, if not probably legal.

More recently the BBE series, funk spectrum, Soul spectrum and even the latin and jazz volumes hit the target fro me.

Social source share

Satisfying our Souls ! The Kent compilation of WEA material

absolutely first class. had it donkey's years and never tire of it

Joannie Sommers

The Apollas

Barbara Lewis

Three Degrees

Sister Sledge

Mike Post

Bobby Wilson

Leslie Uggams

Linda Jones

Soul Bros Six

The Coasters

Ben Aiken

Esther Phillips

Linda Lyndell

The Marketts

Dave & Rubin

Social source share

Since posting this yesterday, I've been listening to the Kent Big City Soul album a lot. Two tracks in particular are astonishing considering that they are early 60s and what else was around at the time. These are Turn Back the Time - Judy Clay and Do it Now Bessie Banks. I put the album on CD and was listening to it the car today. When the Judy Clay came on I find my eyes watering as if I were listening to Maria Callas performing Bellini. There are performances of the highest order on this LP. It's a shame that Kent didn't do more like it, but the guys who put that album together in1986 deserve to be well proud.

Social source share

Interesting post this! Compilations have certainly been my main way of being able to discover and listen to all kinds of amazing soul since I started buying records mid 80's in my teens.

Still buying them now, but not so regularly as I think the quality has dropped in recent years (or I've just not been looking hard enough, which is maybe more the truth!) and have to confess to now being hooked on also trying to collect original 45's, mostly from 60's & 70's, which is darn expensive but oh so addictive & rewarding!

Anyway (and sorry of these are a bit "modern" for this thread!) but for me personally I think some of the best ones I have and still listen to regularly are:

"RARE" 1,2,3,4 & 5 (came out '87 to '89 and mostly RCA & Arista & Ariola)

- Tracks like Michael Wycoff - Looking up to you / Garland Green - I've quit running the streets / Bill Harris - Am I cold am I hot / The Futures - Ain't no time fa nothin' / Fred Watson - Soft tender touch etc.

"Soul chasers" 1 & 2 (came out around '93/'94 I think..Expansion records...Richard Searling comps)

- Tracks like Gloria Scott - (a case of) too much love makin' / Collins & Collins - Top of the stairs / Jon Lucien - Would you believe in me / L J Reynolds - Call me / Magic Lady - Hold tight / Ronn Matlock - I can't forget about you / Trumains - Ripe for the pickin' / Donny Hathaway - Love, love, love

"Modern soul, livin' for the weekend" (great double LP from 2002 on IRMA Italy)

- Tracks like Bottom & Company - Gonna find a true love / Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - Big time lover / General Johnson - Don't walk away / Eugene Record - Overdose of joy

Then I think what actually got me looking back further at Northern soul approx 10 years ago was a comp by Richard Sealing called "After Hours" and various other great Northern soul comps on Kent etc...Too many great songs to list + I got to go now, but will be back if the thread goes on!...

Cheers,

Stevehatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

This is Northern Soul on Grapevine, cane out just as I got into NS in 1980. I'm sure the entire LP must have been played during a Friday Oldies at Wigan, most prob by Richard as an RCA rep.

Gil Blanding, Lester Tipton,Agents, New Wanderers, Al Williams, Masqueraders.........100% Northern Soul !!!

Social source share

For me, fond memories of my brother's Motown Chartbusters albums - he had Volumes 1 to 5 and played them to death as I did later when he'd got married and left home. Later on it has always been Ian Levine's Pye Disco Demand compilation.

Social source share

Guest john s

The Chess Golden Decade is a particular fav home player. I think there was a series of 9, this vol 8 being the last chronological one with Vol 9 as a sampler. Would like to own them all but never see them, don't know if they're pricey or not?

I see them around, normally between a fiver and a tenner each...

Social source share

Two of my favourites from Kent, and one from Chess. The Chess Golden Decade is a particular fav home player. I think there was a series of 9, this vol 8 being the last chronological one with Vol 9 as a sampler. Would like to own them all but never see them, don't know if they're pricey or not?

post-5677-0-31213100-1307975405_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-98671700-1307975405_thumb.jp

Chess Golden Decade 8 is the one with the unissued Bobby Womack tracks. "See Me Through" is great, maybe they are from when he was one of The Valentinos.

Social source share

Those of us of a certain vintage (old), will have been highly influenced by Motown Chartbusters, especially 3 and This is Soul........

then you go to a party, and somebody slips on This is Sue.

Now that was a bit of an eyeopener to a 14 year old ragarse from Salford..........:lol:

Tony

Social source share

Think I'd be better looking under Rockn'roll for 1-7, am hoping for some blues though. I'll have to check track listings obviously but the collector in me wants to own 'em all.

Social source share

Since posting this yesterday, I've been listening to the Kent Big City Soul album a lot. Two tracks in particular are astonishing considering that they are early 60s and what else was around at the time. These are Turn Back the Time - Judy Clay and Do it Now Bessie Banks. I put the album on CD and was listening to it the car today. When the Judy Clay came on I find my eyes watering as if I were listening to Maria Callas performing Bellini. There are performances of the highest order on this LP. It's a shame that Kent didn't do more like it, but the guys who put that album together in1986 deserve to be well proud.

I agree Billy, an absolutely incredible LP. The first time I heard that Judy Clay track (back in the 80's) I was overcome by the emotion that she put into it; and I still feel the same way to this day. Hearing that Lp for the first time was a defining moment in my musical education.

Dave

Social source share

Then you have to consider the MINIT series (readily available in the big Woolies clearout ); Bell Cellar of Soul x3 ; The 3 or 4 Stateside offerings;This is Loma vols 1 - 8 , and almost forgot the 3 Keep the Faith's (Jay Boy/ President tailor made for the early 70s scene).

All essential buys in the early collecting days along with Duke & the Peacock, Action Packed Soul

Social source share

Then you have to consider the MINIT series (readily available in the big Woolies clearout ); Bell Cellar of Soul x3 ; The 3 or 4 Stateside offerings;This is Loma vols 1 - 8 , and almost forgot the 3 Keep the Faith's (Jay Boy/ President tailor made for the early 70s scene).

All essential buys in the early collecting days along with Duke & the Peacock, Action Packed Soul

This is Loma only 1 - 7 (if there is a number 8, I missed it) ????

Social source share

Thanks Dave - just testing !! - in fact strictly speaking 1 through to 6 because as you know 7 was JJ Jackson/Linda Jones and not strictly a compilation in the context of the thread if we're being pedantic.

Think there were 3 Bell and 4 Stateside - also at least a couple of HMV Soul Sounds and a couple of Polydor and Marble Arch R&B and Soul offerings - all from the early days that were both an ecomical way of collecting and educational in expanding awareness of tracks not previously released in the UK.

Just remembered Chess (besides the series mentioned above) and Pye Inter also weighed in with some quality packages.

Too late to go rummaging round the record room.

Graham

Edited by GrayM
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert