Allnighter Question

In this day & age would you be prepared to travel to & attend an Allnighter that started at 2am with a 9am finish, no alcohol served, just softies, tea n coffee, on the assumption that the venue, music policy & DJ's were to your liking - possibly a soul night on the same night near by running until 1.30 am ???.

Serious question - your thoughts appreciated.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

A nighter doing 2am til 9am starts too late and finishes too late for me, I prefer to get somewhere around 11pm and 6am is late enough for me, especially if it's a 3 hour drive home.

I wouldn't want to pay to get into a soul night around 11ish and then leave 2 hours later and pay again to go into a nighter, and like I say the nighter alone starts too late in my opinion. If it was a free warm up in a pub, that's a bit different, but it still means the nighter starts pretty late at 2am.

I think that if my most people wanted to do a soul night before a nighter they'd go somewhere they already know on the way there.

My twopennuth :lol:

Social source share

In this day & age would you be prepared to travel to & attend an Allnighter that started at 2am with a 9am finish, no alcohol served, just softies, tea n coffee, on the assumption that the venue, music policy & DJ's were to your liking - possibly a soul night on the same night near by running until 1.30 am ???.

Best Russ

Russ, if I drive any great distance to a niter I like to get there early and have just a couple of beers - which should leave me ok to drive at the end of the niter, but not at 1.30 - 2.00 when I would be changing venues (if there is a soul night coinciding).

OR.....I book a hotel and get a couple of hours kip after the niter and most hotels want a 1100 or 1200 check-out.

Either of those reasons would probably knock it on the head for me personally. Further to that I prefer to be esconced well before midnight and don't like changing venues - precisely the reason why I get to the 100 Club at the start, and avoid travelling on from a "warm-up" elsewhere.

Maybe also to be considered is the fact that a fair few people drift away from a niter at 3 or 4 in the morning, so they probably wouldn't attend in the first place.

Sorry to be so negative - if I was 18 .......:lol:..... I'd probably think differently.

:lol: - Kev.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

why not just have a soulnight 8pm start that runs into a nighter at a certain time, say 1am ish with the night finishing at 8am, its just like a late Alldayer then :lol:

are ridiculous amounts of drugs allowed though Russ :lol:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

How about a shed load of stimulants & a fantastic DJ line up, would that help...its not that many years ago when the 100 Club started at 0130 & IMHO was one of the things that made it special.

I only ask this question as it seems harder & harder to find suitable venues for Allnighters, & on the South Coast particularly, any half decent venue is (a) realistically beyond the financial scope of most promoters on the Rare Soul Scene & (b) well booked up at the weeekends with the normal tosh. It occured to me that a venue manager/owner might be happy to earn extra money when the club might usually be closed...........makes perfect sense to me, but if you guys need to be tucked up with ya hot milky drinks early................:lol: .

Wernt we all spose to be a bit left field , underground & slightly dodgy..........someone pse restore my faith.............

OOOOOOHHHHH........is that the original sound of the underground or just the the kettle boiling............we need to be pro active, left field & darn right inspirational when it comes to Nighters.......stopping up all night dancing & talking bollox, still seems appealing to me, although I respect you old codgers opinion.........

'shootin' thru'

Russ

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

How about a shed load of stimulants & a fantastic DJ line up, would that help...its not that many years ago when the 100 Club started at 0130 & IMHO was one of the things that made it special.

I only ask this question as it seems harder & harder to find suitable venues for Allnighters, & on the South Coast particularly, any half decent venue is (a) realistically beyond the financial scope of most promoters on the Rare Soul Scene & (b) well booked up at the weeekends with the normal tosh. It occured to me that a venue manager/owner might be happy to earn extra money when the club might usually be closed...........makes perfect sense to me, but if you guys need to be tucked up with ya hot milky drinks early................:lol: .

Wernt we all spose to be a bit left field , underground & slightly dodgy..........someone pse restore my faith.............

OOOOOOHHHHH........is that the original sound of the underground or just the the kettle boiling............we need to be pro active, left field & darn right inspirational when it comes to Nighters.......stopping up all night dancing & talking bollox, still seems appealing to me, although I respect you old codgers opinion.........

'shootin' thru'

Russ

Im with you on this Russ this nighter sounds perfect and the talking bolox all night suits me perfect :lol: seems like everyone is winding down and breaking in their slippers :lol:

Social source share

We are all getting older Russ, have little R&A in between finishing work and going back to work on a Monday, there has to be a balance and with all-nighters there is no real balance if your partner/spouse isn't in to the all-nighter scene. It won't be long before 3am or 4am is the norm then 1 or 2 am.

Like you I'm away from home, granted not stuck in a sand pit putting my life on the line but I've been away all this week, worked three 15 hour days so far, will be home late Friday night....70 odd hour working week which isn't far from what I do every week. To then go to an all-nighter until 9am Sunday morning, get home around midday then go to bed early cause I have a 4 am start simply isn't fair on family life nor my health.

We aren't 18 anymore, why do you think so many soulies are taken early in life, in their 50's? Probably because we are trying to be 18.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd give it a go because it's how it's meant to be, but that could just be the romantic side coming out in me. I used to regularly do soul nights and go onto nighters, almost every week, but it's taken it out of me, weekenders were done with virtually no sleep, but as most have pointed out we've got older. I remember doing Prestatyn about 5 years ago, danced all night and most of the day, finally dancing myself to a standstill as I crashed into the stage......... but it's what goes with it, I'd struggle with, whether it was a soul night, weekender, nighter, I was a creature of habit, certain requirements had to be met at 55 I'm not sure I would want to feel that need again? To dance all night, would probably be impossible now, particularly without that 'enhanced' feeling, so if said hypothetical nighter was a regular event I wouldn't do it, but as a one off definitely would. Problem for me is I have an addictive personality, I could easily see me getting back on the carousel again, health wise for me, that wouldn't be sensible :ohmy:

Social source share

My dancing legs are to be found in two pints of lager so I would need beer available. I'd love a 9am finish but it would have to start at 9pm :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My dancing legs are to be found in two pints of lager

What a coincidence, i found a toe in a pint of lager once... one of yours Karen? :ohmy:

Social source share

What a coincidence, i found a toe in a pint of lager once... one of yours Karen? :ohmy:

Quite possibly... it's so stiff it's liable to snap off at any given moment... however, being that it's still insitu I don't believe it's mine on this occasion :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It's Alaska, the trick is to drink the drink without touching the toe. It started when a guy lost his toe to frost bite and years later someone thought it would be funny to create a drinking game with the toe, preserved by the cold. Ever since then the bar keeps a fresh supply of toes for the drinking game. :hatsoff2:

Er... I don't mind no alcohol (staying on topic)... or no toes. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

It's Alaska, the trick is to drink the drink without touching the toe. It started when a guy lost his toe to frost bite and years later someone thought it would be funny to create a drinking game with the toe, preserved by the cold. Ever since then the bar keeps a fresh supply of toes for the drinking game. laugh.gif

Er... I don't mind no alcohol (staying on topic)... or no toes. :thumbsup:

Thanks Matt :thumbsup:

Like some others no alcohol wouldn't phase me at all

Social source share

Is everyone that serious about the no alcohol thing ?........I'm quite shocked that people are that bothered about getting p*ssed up at a Nighter ..............a Soul Night maybe.....but a Nighter :thumbsup:. Whilst I enjoy a drink.......at Nighters alcohol doesnt bother me at all (apart from the odd Vodka incident laugh.gif). I thought thats what the divs' did & we were a bit above all of that..........all about the music & all of that kinda thing.

Thanks for the input to this thread........must say my romantic idea about back to basics Nighter format seems to have well & truly fallen flat on its arse.........any one for a Sunday afternoon, on the door step, in bed by 10pm, soulful tea dance.......caffeine free of course :thumbsup: ???.

Its a shame that its come to this really & I feel quite despondent.........it used to be so exciting, now nobody wants to go anywhere unless its on the doorstep & spoon fed to em..........being a Southern Soulie if I didnt travel, then I wouldnt have any where to go & its pretty much always been like that for us , too many people being spoilt with an over kill of local events maybe...who knows, but the day there are no proper Nighters to attend, would be the day I would have to seriously re - evaluate how I enjoy & dance to the music I love.................................sad :D.

Best Russ

Russ

Social source share

Trouble is Russ, for me it's so far to travel to a decent nighter I wouldn't want additional travelling to a soul night first then further travelling to the nighter. The non sale of beer wouldn't really annoy me - I'd pack a couple of cans :thumbsup:

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Is everyone that serious about the no alcohol thing ?........I'm quite shocked that people are that bothered about getting p*ssed up at a Nighter ..............a Soul Night maybe.....but a Nighter :thumbsup:. Whilst I enjoy a drink.......at Nighters alcohol doesnt bother me at all (apart from the odd Vodka incident laugh.gif). I thought thats what the divs' did & we were a bit above all of that..........all about the music & all of that kinda thing.

Russ

Who said anything about getting pissed up at a niter, apart from you and your vodka incident I don't think anyone has mentioned it. I can drink quite happily at a niter all night and don't end up rolling on the floor pissed up, so why does enjoying a drink make me a div ?

You do nothing to encourage support to your cause by insulting people who don't fit into your perfectly formed idea of what a niter should be. You'll only end up with one person there......you :thumbsup:

And don't forget I've done my fair share of trevelling up and down the country too.

Social source share

Who said anything about getting pissed up at a niter, apart from you and your vodka incident I don't think anyone has mentioned it. I can drink quite happily at a niter all night and don't end up rolling on the floor pissed up, so why does enjoying a drink make me a div ?

You do nothing to encourage support to your cause by insulting people who don't fit into your perfectly formed idea of what a niter should be. You'll only end up with one person there......you :thumbsup:

And don't forget I've done my fair share of trevelling up and down the country too.

Oi you steady on laugh.gif.........of course there are many people like ya self Dave who can indulge without spoiling it for others & I personally dont mind whether alcohol is sold or not.......it wasnt aimed at you or anyone in particular it was a generalisation & intended tongue in cheek slightly.

I also appreciate you travel Dave (which is no mean feat as I know you dont drive). The point is there are venues out there that might be extremely suitable for an Allnighter, which after 2am are sitting empty, I think what I am suprised at is that it seems some people might not attend because there is no bar, especially as in theory & I know not everyone has the same taste, the music policy & line up were right.

Also, Karen, I was thinking of the Soul Night being on the door step or extremely close to the Allnighter venue, certainly within staggering distance, this is all supposition of course at the moment.

When being insulting, if I have missed a genre of the Soul Scene, let me know & I'll try & include them next time lol :thumbsup:.

Hope you are well Dave, see ya soon

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Best Russ

Hi Russ,

The only reason back 'In the day' no alcohol was served, was because they did not have the licencing laws we now have in 2011, so venues up and down the country were happy for the 'after trade'.

Now in 2011 they have all night 24/7, so the only way a venue would be willing to work/staff allnight, is if they would take money across the liquor bar, if you could persuade any venue management to hire you a venue without one then your rent would be beyond your means, unless you charged, say, £30 dooor tax, which would equal empty venue.

In a nutshell, its not going to happen.

Best

Chris W

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I'm in agreement with the others Russ.

While I too used to enjoy the camaraderie of the 100 club queue, I think it was unique in that way, due to being slap bang in the middle of an area of London, busier at 1am, than some high streets on Saturdays at 1pm.

For example. Stafford used to have quite a late start. They'd let us in to the downstairs or upstairs room 'early'. But still more often than not we were queueing up outside, in what felt like the middle of nowhere, even tho it wasnt far from the centre of town. And often it was pretty boring waiting.

In favour, I think the later start encourages people to stay later as well. I find that going to a niter now at 9 or 10pm, that 3-4am becomes too much of a hurdle often. yet I used to manage the 100 to the end with few problems. (Although rbman may have a photo of me falling asleep?)

Being an old man. And in light of the recent interest in the Ritz dayers. Maybe someone could run an alldayer that captures the Soul crowd's imagination, like the Ritz did??

Social source share

Hi Russ,

The only reason back 'In the day' no alcohol was served, was because they did not have the licencing laws we now have in 2011, so venues up and down the country were happy for the 'after trade'.

Now in 2011 they have all night 24/7, so the only way a venue would be willing to work/staff allnight, is if they would take money across the liquor bar, if you could persuade any venue management to hire you a venue without one then your rent would be beyond your means, unless you charged, say, £30 dooor tax, which would equal empty venue.

In a nutshell, its not going to happen.

Best

Chris W

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply.........I was only just thinking about you & Marcelle, hope you are both well. I think you have a point Chris, its just soooooooo difficult to find suitable venues at the right price, particularly round our neck of the woods, so I was trying to think outside of the box.

On the south coast it would be nigh on impossible to even think about getting the numbers in that some where like Radcliffe does, mainly because of the location, nothing to do with how well said venue might be promoted, so a left field approach to securing a quality venue, at the right price seems one way to do it & this was just one idea I was considering. I became a bit side tracked as I wasnt expecting 'no alcohol' to be a major issue & was suprised.

This is all a little rhetorical anyway, as in my current situation I couldnt really do any promoting & I would certainly have to think about the busy soul calendar & whether another Allnighter was either wanted or needed at this present time, albeit on the South Coast.

Take care mate & love to Marcelle

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I'm in agreement with the others Russ.

While I too used to enjoy the camaraderie of the 100 club queue, I think it was unique in that way, due to being slap bang in the middle of an area of London, busier at 1am, than some high streets on Saturdays at 1pm.

For example. Stafford used to have quite a late start. They'd let us in to the downstairs or upstairs room 'early'. But still more often than not we were queueing up outside, in what felt like the middle of nowhere, even tho it wasnt far from the centre of town. And often it was pretty boring waiting.

In favour, I think the later start encourages people to stay later as well. I find that going to a niter now at 9 or 10pm, that 3-4am becomes too much of a hurdle often. yet I used to manage the 100 to the end with few problems. (Although rbman may have a photo of me falling asleep?)

Being an old man. And in light of the recent interest in the Ritz dayers. Maybe someone could run an alldayer that captures the Soul crowd's imagination, like the Ritz did??

An extremely good point mate & one I have been considering for a while now. Thanks for the reply.

Best Russ

Social source share

Best Russ

May be a problem with no alcohol Russ,from a business point of view.(thinking of the problems Burnley had with low bar takings,amongst other venues).

10-6pm for me is ideal.But usually out for 12 hours no matter what the opening hours.

Drinking at all nighters?.Not really a problem is it?.What about the option for non drivers?.

Social source share

May be a problem with no alcohol Russ,from a business point of view.(thinking of the problems Burnley had with low bar takings,amongst other venues).

10-6pm for me is ideal.But usually out for 12 hours no matter what the opening hours.

Drinking at all nighters?.Not really a problem is it?.What about the option for non drivers?.

As I have mentioned this is all about information gathering really, but I would envisage that a bar would be open for the sale of non alcoholic beverages, tea, coffee & snacks. I have nothing in mind particularly other than gauging opinion with the prospect of using the information possibly in the future, but nothing planned as yet.......it was just a thought regarding finding a suitable venue & on the surface of things using a venue after there usual night seemed to be something worth pursuing & the information you guys provide especially the promoters is invaluable in order to make informed decisions.

Best Russ

Social source share

The point is there are venues out there that might be extremely suitable for an Allnighter, which after 2am are sitting empty, I think what I am suprised at is that it seems some people might not attend because there is no bar, especially as in theory & I know not everyone has the same taste, the music policy & line up were right.

Best Russ

Thing is Russ many venues have already made their money by 2am on the normal people, staff paid and at home tucked up or whatever else they do when finished and the owner has shut up at at home, they aren't interested in opening all night and even less so when you mention Northern Soul.

As for all-dayers, thing of the past....unless it's the odd re-union or summat like.

Social source share

Thing is Russ many venues have already made their money by 2am on the normal people, staff paid and at home tucked up or whatever else they do when finished and the owner has shut up at at home, they aren't interested in opening all night and even less so when you mention Northern Soul.

As for all-dayers, thing of the past....unless it's the odd re-union or summat like.

Thing is Chalky, I'm an old romantic & cant help hoping that I can eventually promote successfully again - its not for any personal gain, more about the music & the buzz, its an itch that wont go away. I'm well aware of the venue over kill at the moment & as you know, I'm working abroad right now, but eventually when the time is right I'm hoping to come back with a bang !!!...........& I have a cunning plan :thumbsup:

Hope you are well mate

Best Russ

Social source share

Thing is Chalky, I'm an old romantic & cant help hoping that I can eventually promote successfully again - its not for any personal gain, more about the music & the buzz, its an itch that wont go away. I'm well aware of the venue over kill at the moment & as you know, I'm working abroad right now, but eventually when the time is right I'm hoping to come back with a bang !!!...........& I have a cunning plan :thumbsup:

Hope you are well mate

Best Russ

I think we would all like things back as they were when we were kids. Soul night with a few drinks, onto a nighter at midnight or so, greetings already out of the way, gear in full flow straight on the dancefloor or in the record bar. These days it often takes a nighter two hours to get going which is a shame for the early doors DJ's as some great music played to often empty floors. Times and circumstances change. It's ok for many of todays nighter goers who missed a lot of years, they have some catching up to do but for those that never had a break apathy creeps in, music is no longer fresh.

I love a drink but often I'm driving but for many they can't do without it.

I'm good though mate although stuck in South Wales and not going to get home now till tomorrow angry.gif Hope you are well and getting tanned in the sand pit, takes care and look forward to the cunning plan biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Best Russ

yes

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thank god Andy........I thought I was the only mad one left lol :lol: .

Hope you are well mate

best Russ

when you get back Russ we can pick a day and get everyone on same wave length round my place for a day on it and alcohol will be allowed and anything else that may take anyones fancy plus everyone spinning their tunes and all us talking bolox and i might even krank the BBQ up too :lol: sorry we cant do nighter though as there is a noise restriction where we live ok we could keep the volume down a tad :thumbsup:

Social source share

when you get back Russ we can pick a day and get everyone on same wave length round my place for a day on it and alcohol will be allowed and anything else that may take anyones fancy plus everyone spinning their tunes and all us talking bolox and i might even krank the BBQ up too :lol: sorry we cant do nighter though as there is a noise restriction where we live ok we could keep the volume down a tad :thumbsup:

Now that sounds like a good crac mate........so long as you dont laugh at my records like Disco Dave does...him & Jas have me in bits when we have one of our 'home' sessions......strangely I remember the culmination of one particularly heavy night, was us discussing how we could blow up my shed with nothing more than a bottle of vodka & a sock....I think Mr C was there too ..........I also remember one of Daves birthdays were we were running round Mollys garden half naked pretending to be a horse, I cant remember now how or why any of this happened.............. be scared Paul, very

scared :lol: .

I will be in touch my friend

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

i'm surprised at the general rejection of this, as Russ says it's not that long ago that a 1.30am start was perfectly normal at the 100 club for a start, nobody even considered it an issue to stay up all night? it is after all, al nighter we're talking about here. I see more and more 'nighters' advertised at finishing at 4am, and some even call them 'mini-nighters' (wtf?)... which is all b-s if you ask me on the promoters part - it's a soul night.

however from a 'go-er' point of view there's been a major change with the new licensing laws in the recent past where bars can open much later/all-night and serve alcohol, and with the general decline on late night venues caused by late night licenses, particularly where I live on the south coast - meaning 'why am I going to pay to go to stay up all night when I can do it all in a bar for free' - I can't see a venue owner wanting to bother opening up all night to sell soft drinks. So, IMO, it's a tough hill to climb Russ, not just to convince people to come along, but to find a venue owner willing to go along with the idea in the 1st place. But it's certainly not a strange idea, it wasn't that long ago it was the norm wasn't it? and we had good times, didn't we? I know we did! :thumbsup:

you back over soon? hope to catch up and love to the family!

cheers Paul

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

i'm surprised at the general rejection of this, as Russ says it's not that long ago that a 1.30am start was perfectly normal at the 100 club for a start, nobody even considered it an issue to stay up all night? it is after all, al nighter we're talking about here. I see more and more 'nighters' advertised at finishing at 4am, and some even call them 'mini-nighters' (wtf?)... which is all b-s if you ask me on the promoters part - it's a soul night.

however from a 'go-er' point of view there's been a major change with the new licensing laws in the recent past where bars can open much later/all-night and serve alcohol, and with the general decline on late night venues caused by late night licenses, particularly where I live on the south coast - meaning 'why am I going to pay to go to stay up all night when I can do it all in a bar for free' - I can't see a venue owner wanting to bother opening up all night to sell soft drinks. So, IMO, it's a tough hill to climb Russ, not just to convince people to come along, but to find a venue owner willing to go along with the idea in the 1st place. But it's certainly not a strange idea, it wasn't that long ago it was the norm wasn't it? and we had good times, didn't we? I know we did! :)

you back over soon? hope to catch up and love to the family!

cheers Paul

Hi Paul - Hope all is well with you, as like you I am very suprised generally when I see an Allnighter as finishing at 4am, however promoters wish to spin this its a Soul Night........IMO an Allnighter should finish at the earliest 6am to be described as such. I can only guess that by misrepresenting events in this way it gives the promoter & or the attendees the presumed kudos of saying they have promoted or attended an Allnighter.

We had the best of times Paul & I look back on that part of my soul life very fondly indeed. I'm not sure the scene will ever be the same again or recover fully from the mass of returnees & the sheer volume of localized events that have sprung up to accomodate them all over the country. I think there are still some hardcore attendees & travellers left out there who have always supported the 'real' Northern/Rare Soul scene & there are some great events that cater for them, but on the whole other than supporters of the nostalgia events its a very small scene indeed & will continue to dwindle.

You only have to look to our own backyard to see events like the Railway Club in Bournmouth with its more diverse & interesting music policy closing its doors & more oldies/commercial type promotions like the Pier seemingly over flowing with punters, this isnt a critism, just an observation, as a promoter its fantastic news, as a lover of events with a more diverse playlist & a view to at least playing a few unknowns/new or recent releases along side everything else its not so good & the soul scene is a poorer place for it.

I tend to agree with all the points regarding my brain wave about using clubs after hours so to speak & I'm pleased it has answered some questions.

I should be home mid July mate & we should hook up if possible, give my love to Jay & thank you for the input, I am now removing my rose tinted spectacles :D.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Now that sounds like a good crac mate........so long as you dont laugh at my records like Disco Dave does...him & Jas have me in bits when we have one of our 'home' sessions......strangely I remember the culmination of one particularly heavy night, was us discussing how we could blow up my shed with nothing more than a bottle of vodka & a sock....I think Mr C was there too ..........I also remember one of Daves birthdays were we were running round Mollys garden half naked pretending to be a horse, I cant remember now how or why any of this happened.............. be scared Paul, very

scared :D .

Russ

best i hide the socks then Russ :( defo up for it matey so give us a call when your back in Blighty and lets get it on :)

ps, the Railway Club closed but the legacy will live on in Bournemouth as Tim, Jonah and Simon have found another venue thank fook :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

scared :D .

Russ

best i hide the socks then Russ :( defo up for it matey so give us a call when your back in Blighty and lets get it on :)

ps, the Railway Club closed but the legacy will live on in Bournemouth as Tim, Jonah and Simon have found another venue thank fook :lol:

Social source share

Hmmm, at the last Bournemouth 'All Nighter' there were half a dozen of us still on the dance floor at 6 and probably 25 people left in the club and that had been a brilliant night, the majority had left by 4ish.

The 'second room' at that 'All Nighter' playing rare and underplayed tracks wasn't exactly packed at any time.

Somehow I don't see enough interest on the South Coast to make a success of an 'All Nighter' playing rarer tracks with different start and end times to the 'norm'.

My own humble opinion would be that to have a successful nighter you would have to start by building the enthusiasm and carrying on the 'Railway Club' ethos first.

Having said that I'd still try and make it what ever the format lol

Social source share

Hmmm, at the last Bournemouth 'All Nighter' there were half a dozen of us still on the dance floor at 6 and probably 25 people left in the club and that had been a brilliant night, the majority had left by 4ish.

The 'second room' at that 'All Nighter' playing rare and underplayed tracks wasn't exactly packed at any time.

Somehow I don't see enough interest on the South Coast to make a success of an 'All Nighter' playing rarer tracks with different start and end times to the 'norm'.

My own humble opinion would be that to have a successful nighter you would have to start by building the enthusiasm and carrying on the 'Railway Club' ethos first.

Having said that I'd still try and make it what ever the format lol

Thanks for the reply.

Best

Russ

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'd be up for this idea if it wasn't fo the south coast bit. In the real world that would equate to something like a five hour drive each way, on top of the nighter itself, that makes for a long, long night.

If it was more midland way then I'd definately be interested.

Social source share

We aren't 18 anymore, why do you think so many soulies are taken early in life, in their 50's? Probably because we are trying to be 18.

Chalky

Sounds remarkably like someone I know :cheese1:

9 til 4 sounds about right to me..........for this ex trying to be an 18 year old at 51 :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Is everyone that serious about the no alcohol thing ?........I'm quite shocked that people are that bothered about getting p*ssed up at a Nighter ..............a Soul Night maybe.....but a Nighter :thumbsup:. Whilst I enjoy a drink.......at Nighters alcohol doesnt bother me at all (apart from the odd Vodka incident :cheese1:). I thought thats what the divs' did & we were a bit above all of that..........all about the music & all of that kinda thing.

Thanks for the input to this thread........must say my romantic idea about back to basics Nighter format seems to have well & truly fallen flat on its arse.........any one for a Sunday afternoon, on the door step, in bed by 10pm, soulful tea dance.......caffeine free of course :shhh: ???.

Its a shame that its come to this really & I feel quite despondent.........it used to be so exciting, now nobody wants to go anywhere unless its on the doorstep & spoon fed to em..........being a Southern Soulie if I didnt travel, then I wouldnt have any where to go & its pretty much always been like that for us , too many people being spoilt with an over kill of local events maybe...who knows, but the day there are no proper Nighters to attend, would be the day I would have to seriously re - evaluate how I enjoy & dance to the music I love.................................sad sad.gif.

Best Russ

Russ

Russ

Joking apart I think Sunday afternoons have a lot of mileage in them..............not a chill out session or a few mates playing in a backroom of a pub but a proper organised venue say from 12pm til 7pm with the same line-up you'd have at a nighter with the same up front music ethic & wanting to make people dance.The reason is with different working patterns,family life etc it's difficult to fit nighters in (especially Friday ones) But I think most people can make a few hours for themselves on a Sunday afternoon??? I know this isn't perfect & goes against everything we were brought up with but I'm just trying to be a realist & would love to see some of the old nighter crowd come back that due to age & health reasons have had to give them up.

I'm writing this having just done Radcliffe last night. (11 til 6ish).Travelling from Hull to Manchester,so this is from someone who still loves the nighter scene.

Just a thought??

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert