Lovind By The Pound - Otis Redding

Rbman

I recently bought the Otis Redding "Its not just sentimental" album on Stax after reading the posts re this on here... and what a brill album it is, apart from "Loving by the pound" which I love, the other couple of tracks I like are "there goes my baby" and "the boston monkey" the rest of the album is cracking. Otis Redding giving it all, as only he can do. whistling.gif

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

"Lovin by the pound" reminds me of the time I had a rather risque moment with some tart outside Battersea dog's home ohmy.gif

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

["Pity Otis Redding is overlooked as he is considered too mainstream - Albums are by far the best source of undiscovered material - forget chasing after elusive 45's discover new stuff yourself - check out Otis Redding"

I for one totally agree...see my earlier post. However like the majority of originally unreleased material, these Otis tracks pail by comparison to the more well known recordings. If the soul scene is about music and not just just about the price of records, then it really is about time that these deservedly household name artists were revisited and their material appreciated. I suspect though, the soul scene will continue to chase its tail searching for the same twenty records.

"Look At that Girl" is such a great record. One of the first Otis records I ever bought and have loved it ever since.]

I've often found it strange that some of the best soul singers (imo of course) are totally ignored by the scene. Or only the odd record, e.g. Cry To Me by Solomon Burke, personally reckon he made far better records than that one. I prefer Look At That Girl to Lovin' By The Pound, but I suppose most of Otis's stuff is too well known. Yet stuff like I'm Still Loving You and other pretty well known Motown stuff is heard regularly. Nothing wrong with that, they are great records, but from the same era and were well played at the time.

Is the Atlantic/Stax material too well known, or is it difficult to dance to, not tried myself to be honest? While it isn't conventional Northern sounding (whatever that is, lol) still great soul music. And there must be plenty of lesser known tracks by these artistes that could be played now. Or would they be classed as R&B?

Incidentally at a Skegness Northern weekender in 2003, Respect and Sweet Soul Music were played on the Saturday night in the main room upstairs.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...