Rbman

• Replies 61
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andycambs

There is a version (slightly diffrent mix I think) on an album by him although I don't know the title, maybe able to find out later as a friend of mine has it but he works away and doesn't allways respond to texts, I'll do my best. :wicked:

Andy

Social source share

Guest the dukester

WHAT...off CD? :wicked:

ACETATE CUT OF IT, FOR SALE AROUND £50. AS FOR BEING PLAYED OUT, DOWN TO THE DANCE FLOOR ACTION IT RECEIVES STILL WELL THOUGHT OF. :shades:

Social source share

Don't get me wrong I love it, was just saying it was played to death a few years ago which is true, but it still packed the floor, can't say I have heard it out for a few months, but then again I havent been out much latley

WHAT...off CD? :wicked:

No LOL

Social source share

Don't get me wrong I love it, was just saying it was played to death a few years ago which is true, but it still packed the floor, can't say I have heard it out for a few months, but then again I havent been out much latley

No LOL

I've not heard it lately either which from my point of view is good.I like the song very much but it was hammered to death a couple of years ago.

Social source share

There is a version (slightly diffrent mix I think) on an album by him although I don't know the title, maybe able to find out later as a friend of mine has it but he works away and doesn't allways respond to texts, I'll do my best. whistling.gif

Andy

album is call "its not just sentimental"

rupert

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

the album "it's not just sentimental " has two versions the other one called "lbs and 100's" which is better imo.. and should set you back about a tenner

Davie

Social source share

Thought the vinyl album was Australian or South African, the CD was definitely Ace, although it came out on the Stax logo.
it has on mine 1992 ace records .... though it has the stax and volt logos ..

label says made in france so no idea really

dunno, don't buy lps, or very few and certainly don't buy Otis Redding lps. quick internet search threw up 1993 on stax whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

dunno, don't buy lps, or very few and certainly don't buy Otis Redding lps. quick internet search threw up 1993 on stax whistling.gif

i only bought it for that track .... was gonna get one cut as i like it but when i found it was available on vinyl i went for that option

D

Social source share

Two criminally overlooked areas of collecting here that could hughly revitalise the soul scene...LP's and works by major soul artists (especially on major labels).

Social source share

whatever you do dont pay 50 quid for an acetate , buy the original cd and get one done at vinyl carvers for 20 , im not condoning bootlegging but if people were paying 50 for this they were ripped off , if you buy the original cd then at least some royalties are paid

i only bought one acetate in my life , got conned 75 for it , moved it on in a trade

Social source share

whatever you do dont pay 50 quid for an acetate , buy the original cd and get one done at vinyl carvers for 20 , im not condoning bootlegging but if people were paying 50 for this they were ripped off , if you buy the original cd then at least some royalties are paid

How about contacting Ady Croasdell for some sort of permission for doing this first? Or even see if they've (Ace/Kent) any plans to release it on a 7" single in the future?

Social source share

According to the "It's not sentimental" CD this track was previously unreleased. Martin, you have mail.

I wonder if the sleeve notes on the CD are a copy of the notes off the LP....that would explain the "previously unreleased" wording.

Thanks to everyoe for your help as usual...you lot never fail smile.gif

Social source share

Thought the vinyl album was Australian or South African

That's because Denny Johnson picked his up in SA. I've got the CD version (and had the cassette) and you can buy it here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4694108-2135804

it was originally released as Otis Redding "Remember Me" and then retitled as "It's Not just sentimental" which is a line from "try a Little Tenderness"

With seven tracks a side one might think the groove won't contain much volume but given Lovin' by the pound is track two you should by judicious use of the Gain and Bass pots get a decent sound to match a seven inch.

Social source share

Don't think so, never seen a vinyl LP of this.

The track was on a comp lp that came out in the late 80's-early 90's on a uk reissue label, same label that issued the Sandra Wright album . Demon? or Ace can't remember which at the moment.

Derek

Social source share

How about contacting Ady Croasdell for some sort of permission for doing this first? Or even see if they've (Ace/Kent) any plans to release it on a 7" single in the future?

Yes because he personally owns it smile.gif

Atlantic still has the rights to the Atlantic-era Stax recordings released up to May 1968 most of which have been reissued by co-owned Rhino Records. Fantasy did release a box set titled The Stax Story which includes Atlantic-era material. Kent license from Fantasy.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Fantasy did release a box set titled The Stax Story which includes Atlantic-era material. Kent license from Fantasy.

Three boxed sets? There was a series of unreleased stuff a few years ago under titles 1 to however many 1,000 Volts of Stax or something, a few nice bits on them, particularly the Staple Singers version of Stoned Soul Picnic.

Social source share

Is this a cd only?

Came out on kent cd "Do the crossover baby" CDKEND 105

Pity Otis Redding is overlooked as he is considered too mainstream - Albums are by far the best source of undiscovered material - forget chasing after elusive 45's discover new stuff yourself - check out Otis Redding "Tell the truth " album and two tracks "Give away none of my love" and "the match game" both fantastic tracks

Social source share

"Pity Otis Redding is overlooked as he is considered too mainstream - Albums are by far the best source of undiscovered material - forget chasing after elusive 45's discover new stuff yourself - check out Otis Redding"

I for one totally agree...see my earlier post. However like the majority of originally unreleased material, these Otis tracks pail by comparison to the more well known recordings. If the soul scene is about music and not just just about the price of records, then it really is about time that these deservedly household name artists were revisited and their material appreciated. I suspect though, the soul scene will continue to chase its tail searching for the same twenty records.

"Look At that Girl" is such a great record. One of the first Otis records I ever bought and have loved it ever since.

Social source share