New Member - Lorraine Chandler

Wow.......If you need an answer to a soul related question, for sure someone will find it on here! Thanks Tony.

Lorraine, since Eddie Parker is not likely to join in on here, please also pass my best wishes to him.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Yes, Ed, I'm finding that anything you want to know about soul music from the 60's through the 80's, Soul Source is quite knowledgable. Their library of people is unbeatable.

I'm still trying with Eddie and one day he might surprise us and decide to send a e-mail...somewhere.

Lorraine

Social source share

Wow.......If you need an answer to a soul related question, for sure someone will find it on here! Thanks Tony.

Lorraine, since Eddie Parker is not likely to join in on here, please also pass my best wishes to him.

Ed

Hey Ed,

Yes, Ed, I'm finding that anything you want to know about soul music from the 60's through the 80's, Soul Source is quite knowledgable. It's library of people is unbeatable.

I shall pass your sentiments on in our next phone call. I'm still trying with Eddie and one day he might surprise us and decide to send a e-mail...somewhere.

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Ed,

You know the cliché, "too much of a good thing." During that time good music was everywhere and being copied and people being cloned. If you got in on the ground floor anywhere, you stood a chance. If enough money wasn't exchanged, you might not ever hear your record outside of your living room. It was a pay to play atmosphere, or a different way of 'advertising'. RCA wanted to be in the game, but didn't want to 'pay' the game. Also, I was strictly the artist at that time and not privy to (all) the administrative/management deals being made and with whom, but basically it was the same everywhere in the record business.

I would love to write a behind the scenes book but unfortunately it would only sell about 500 copies (maybe). My dream of becoming a recording star is much like everyone else's who cut a few records and tried to get a hit. During the time of my singing, my competition was Rose Bastiste, Betty LaVette, and Pat Lewis to name a few that you might know. That was just the local talent and they all were good. My story might be a little different because I pursued other avenues, writing and producing for other artist so my canvas might be wider. While my counterparts were out 'gigging' I was writing and learning how to produce. I always thought I was a better writer than singer.

I am lucky to see the end result of this 'dream'. I consider myself successful because of you all. I'm here speaking with you and I've sang to you. My relationship with you is my greatest reward. Your output of gratitude is immeasurable and leaves me speechless. While not being recognized globally, you hearing me in your living room suffices for me. We have our own love/success story. wub.gif

Lorraine

Hello again Lorraine .What a fabulous post , as for selling only 500 copies , I would buy them myself to pay back the pleasure you gave me when I was nimble enough to dance to a record without the aid of a zimmer .

You mention a few other artists in your post and it got me wondering if you ever see (which I'm sure you do ) any artist , writers , producers . It would be great to hear from other legends as yourself on here . We all understand how artists back then were ripped off , and I just thought we could give back some of what they deserve and make them feel that all was not in vain .

Tony

Social source share

Lorraine you probably won't recall but we were shown around Motown by yourself & Frances Nero (Who's birthday it was) after a 4 hour plus bus journey on partially flooded highways when we came on Soul Trip USA, Chicago & I've got a treasured photo of You & I stood outside before we went off to the "Memphis Smoke" to meet up with a whole bunch of Artists. Sweet memories indeed. :wub:

Take care, be safe always & remember, "I can't change , the way that I wear my hair,even change the style of clothes I wear,ooh baby,ooh baby",

Spot (Pete) & Gail. :shades:

Social source share

snapback.pngMAK, on 03 September 2011 - 06:05 AM, said:

Hello again Lorraine .What a fabulous post , as for selling only 500 copies , I would buy them myself to pay back the pleasure you gave me when I was nimble enough to dance to a record without the aid of a zimmer .

You mention a few other artists in your post and it got me wondering if you ever see (which I'm sure you do ) any artist , writers , producers . It would be great to hear from other legends as yourself on here . We all understand how artists back then were ripped off , and I just thought we could give back some of what they deserve and make them feel that all was not in vain .

Tony

Hi Tony,

That is so sweet of you to try and make everybody happy. However, it is what it is and we just go on living. Unfortunately, I do see some folks from time to time at funerals. Most of us are at an age where we are enjoying life and the grandchildren and telling stories about the past. Some are still out there, looking for that recording deal or gigging in whatever group they can sing with.

I haven't seen Rose Batiste in years but I heard she's doing well. I see Pat Lewis every now and then but I can keep up with her. As you know, Betty LaVette is working and doing quite well. She's put the time and hard work in and now it's paying off. Good for her. Every now and then I run into one of the Metros and we talk, as the same with the Smith Bros. (11th Commandment) and you know my buddy, Eddie Parker, I have to check on quarterly.

I just left a Chuck Jackson show and saw some folks (group singers) I haven't seen or heard from in over fifteen years. That was good. Again, from time to time I run into folks and I am glad they are healty and well.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hi Lorraine

What are your favourite tracks that you have been involved with? Either writing, producing, or singing/recording.

I cant hold on, is mine, by the way! Its like a jump start when its played.

Ed

Hey Ed,

You've asked a question I really have to think on. But as a singer, She Don't Want You overwhelmed me. I was in awe. It was a big arrangement and Herbie Williams just outdid himself. Those horns are something else! The background is smokin' (Thelma Hopkins/Joyce Vincent (Dawn)) and of course Mike Terry on the sax solo truly blows me away. The mix was hot, hot, hot. You drop that needle and that record pops! I truly could not handle it.

As a writer, Stay Here With Me by Sandra Richardson had good story lines. It just cracks me up. That woman was truly mixed up! She doesn't need him. :no: I love the piano (Earl Van Dyke) and wish it was featured more.

Lorraine

Social source share

HI Lorraine,

did you have any interraction/influence on other similiar singers.

I think you have a great voice like Sharon soul.

Hi Garysoul82,

Sorry, I'm not aware of Sharon Soul. I am familiar with Sharon Jones whom I like a lot. I don't know if I have influenced any other singers. If I have, no one has told me. Thank you for the reply and compliment.

Lorraine

Social source share

snapback.pngspot, on 05 September 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

Lorraine you probably won't recall but we were shown around Motown by yourself & Frances Nero (Who's birthday it was) after a 4 hour plus bus journey on partially flooded highways when we came on Soul Trip USA, Chicago & I've got a treasured photo of You & I stood outside before we went off to the "Memphis Smoke" to meet up with a whole bunch of Artists. Sweet memories indeed. :wub:

Take care, be safe always & remember, "I can't change , the way that I wear my hair,even change the style of clothes I wear,ooh baby,ooh baby",

Spot (Pete) & Gail. :shades:

:wave: Hey Spot and Gail!

Sing the song! How can I forget. That was a great time. I thought you might post the picture. My agent, Jeanne Sorensten asked if I could drop by. I already had a really mixed up day planned on the calendar and said I'll try but didn't promise.

A week later I was doing my running around when I saw some coaches outside of Motown and I knew it was the U.K. group. I just had to say 'hi' out of courtesy to the out of towners. I was dressed for doing some running around and plus, I'm at home. (Any excuse will do to look bummy). Anyway, folks didn't know me but it was all right if they went back home and said "some strange black lady walked up to us and said welcome to Detroit, my name is Lorraine Chandler and I hope you are enjoying your stay." That was the least I could do when someone comes all that way and I see them in my neighborhood.

It was so funny, I didn't RSVP back to Jeanne so nobody knew I was coming to participate in the tour. The folks touring Motown (when some found out who I was) asked was I going back to the restaurant. Again, I said I would try. I decided to go and meet them there later and get some take out food while there. First, the restaurant was closed for the group and they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have a pass. frusty2.gif Then, I asked the door person to find Jeanne. She was out of town and could not help. :facepalm: Then I asked for Fran (Nero), who finally let me in. Did we not have a good time??? Had so much fun I forgot to get some food to go! I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

Forgive me for not mentioning the other artist who were there but this is your reply and you have to do that. I just know it was wonderful and I'm glad I took the time to meet such wonderful people and I hope we can do it again!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey Ed,

You've asked a question I really have to think on. But as a singer, She Don't Want You overwhelmed me. I was in awe. It was a big arrangement and Herbie Williams just outdid himself. Those horns are something else! The background is smokin' (Thelma Hopkins/Joyce Vincent (Dawn)) and of course Mike Terry on the sax solo truly blows me away. The mix was hot, hot, hot. You drop that needle and that record pops! I truly could not handle it.

As a writer, Stay Here With Me by Sandra Richardson had good story lines. It just cracks me up. That woman was truly mixed up! She doesn't need him. :no: I love the piano (Earl Van Dyke) and wish it was featured more.

Lorraine

Thanks for the insight!

As you are probably aware, STAY HERE WITH ME, is worshipped by us also.

Did you know Yvonne Baker (and her sensations) who also cut 'I cant change'? Sorry if this was asked already.

Did you perform your RCA stuff live very often at the time of release? Oh how great it would have been to be there!

Ed

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Hi lorraine,

Ive just seen a programme on telly called man vrs food featuring the wonderful gladys night cooking in

her own diner.The food she served she called soul food(fried chicken,waffles,sweetcorn etc.)

What would you say is your soul food.

Social source share

Thanks for the insight!

As you are probably aware, STAY HERE WITH ME, is worshipped by us also.

Did you know Yvonne Baker (and her sensations) who also cut 'I cant change'? Sorry if this was asked already.

Did you perform your RCA stuff live very often at the time of release? Oh how great it would have been to be there!

Ed

Hey Ed,

By the time RCA picked up What Can I Do, I was off and running writing for other artist. Remember, it came out locally, then picked up by RCA, so there was lapse in time when the record was re-released. Yes, I did gig with What Can I Do and Tell Me Your Mine and it was fun while it lasted.

In answer to the Yvonne Baker question, I never did meet her and didn't know about her until I re-recorded all of her releases. I thought I had 'new' material, not 'used' material. I am going to refer you to my answer in post 364, so I won't have to retype everything. Also, take a look at posts 269, 391, and 327 for other references. Looks like I am writing the book here.

Have a wonderful day,

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi lorraine,

Ive just seen a programme on telly called man vrs food featuring the wonderful gladys night cooking in

her own diner.The food she served she called soul food(fried chicken,waffles,sweetcorn etc.)

What would you say is your soul food.

Hi GarySoul82,

Greens. I cannot get enough greens (Collards, Turnips, Mustard or Cabbage). Greens and Cornbread. :thumbup: Ummm, ummm, ummm!

Short story. I was a baby around six months old and I wouldn't stop crying. Being the first born, my mom had no idea what to do. She called and told an elder I was fed, clean and loved but I wouldn't stop crying. I had lungs like a fog horn and was getting louder. The elder (who baby-sat me) said "when I'm with her, I give her 'pot liquor'." (Pot liquor is the seasoned water that vegetables are cooked in). She said I'll be right over, get her bottles ready. Umm, umm, good ole' pot liquor. Knocked me right out and I slept like a baby! :hypocrite: Isn't that cute?

Had to tell the story. But to answer your question more specifically, greens (any kind), fried chicken (really anything fried), creamed corn, cornbread and mashed potatoes. Yes, :yes: yes, :yes: yes! High blood pressure, high cholesterol, here I come (and it still knocks me right out and I sleep like a baby!).

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi lorraine nice to have you in the gang out of intrest do you listen to modern soul music either new artists doing new material or older established artists doing a new fresher style and do you listen to any other types of music such as reggae or latin ?.fondest regards Simon ( often mistaken for screaming lord Sutch)

Social source share

I must have been asleep, how did i miss this post, :unsure:

Lorraine a very, very, late how do you do from me, forgive my lack of observation when browsing this forum,

all i can say is I am honoured to be typing this to you, im sure many have said this already but you have brought many happy hours to myself and my entire family over the years with your music.

My father who is 86 now was/is a soul/jazz music fanatic and i first heard you, courtesy of him, my brothers and sisters all 6 of them had a daily diet of soul music and they will just hoot when i tell them.

I will just say the cramps and aches i got from many hours of dancing were worth it every time,

and to this day when the opening bass and hand claps of i cant change, or the starting drum rift on what can i do, or the impatient drum beat that runs out on i cant hold on, explode from the speakers, every persons hair stands on end shivers hit the spine and every dance floor in the UK fills with dancing frenzied pleasure, if your dancing or watching its an absolute delight

Thank you and a very belated welcome to soul source

Ian (geordie) Johnson

PS a geordie is a person from the north east of england just in case :facepalm:

Social source share

Hi lorraine nice to have you in the gang out of intrest do you listen to modern soul music either new artists doing new material or older established artists doing a new fresher style and do you listen to any other types of music such as reggae or latin ?.fondest regards Simon ( often mistaken for screaming lord Sutch)

Hi Simon

It's great to be in this gang and yes I do listen to modern soul music. I love the rhythm of raggae and latin music. I'm just so glad music is music again. I enjoy good singing and entertainment regardless of the style. One of my favorite groups of fusion (hip hop and R & B) is the Black Eye Peas. I think they were in the beginning of the turn around. While I'm 'old school', Beyonce, Cee Lo Green will have me tapping my foot.

Lorraine

Social source share

I must have been asleep, how did i miss this post, :unsure:

Lorraine a very, very, late how do you do from me, forgive my lack of observation when browsing this forum,

all i can say is I am honoured to be typing this to you, im sure many have said this already but you have brought many happy hours to myself and my entire family over the years with your music.

My father who is 86 now was/is a soul/jazz music fanatic and i first heard you, courtesy of him, my brothers and sisters all 6 of them had a daily diet of soul music and they will just hoot when i tell them.

I will just say the cramps and aches i got from many hours of dancing were worth it every time,

and to this day when the opening bass and hand claps of i cant change, or the starting drum rift on what can i do, or the impatient drum beat that runs out on i cant hold on, explode from the speakers, every persons hair stands on end shivers hit the spine and every dance floor in the UK fills with dancing frenzied pleasure, if your dancing or watching its an absolute delight

Thank you and a very belated welcome to soul source

Ian (geordie) Johnson

PS a geordie is a person from the north east of england just in case :facepalm:

Hey Ian (geordie) Johnson,

Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad that you've enjoyed the music in the north east of England. Tell the siblings I said 'hi' and thank Dad for his taste in fine music.

Lorraine

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Well, I am blown away with this thread. This is what the music is about. How fabulous to have the artists drop by for a chin wag. Hi Lorraine, I remember seeing the start of this thread, but never realised it continued like this. The tit bits and stories are fabulous, was it 'what happened in Pied Piper, stays in Pied Piper' ha ha! I like the stories from inside the studio as you know,plus of course the legal side of the recordings from a song writers and producers perspective. I used to say I would give 10 years of my life to have been in Detroit in the 1960's...and I still would!

Give my regards to Jeanne! We met in the UK 2002 when The Miracles came over with The Velvelettes. One of The Miracles sat with me in a bench outside reception with my mp3 player listening to a song I had just started to create called 'Suddenly there's you' (I think it was that one from memory). He listened with one ear phone and me the other. Priceless.......as he started to sing and new where I was going with the song.

Thanks for the music and for being here right now. By reading this thread, I detect great respect for your endeavours from back in the day.

Social source share

Well, I am blown away with this thread. This is what the music is about. How fabulous to have the artists drop by for a chin wag. Hi Lorraine, I remember seeing the start of this thread, but never realised it continued like this. The tit bits and stories are fabulous, was it 'what happened in Pied Piper, stays in Pied Piper' ha ha! I like the stories from inside the studio as you know,plus of course the legal side of the recordings from a song writers and producers perspective. I used to say I would give 10 years of my life to have been in Detroit in the 1960's...and I still would!

Give my regards to Jeanne! We met in the UK 2002 when The Miracles came over with The Velvelettes. One of The Miracles sat with me in a bench outside reception with my mp3 player listening to a song I had just started to create called 'Suddenly there's you' (I think it was that one from memory). He listened with one ear phone and me the other. Priceless.......as he started to sing and new where I was going with the song.

Thanks for the music and for being here right now. By reading this thread, I detect great respect for your endeavours from back in the day.

Hi Carl,

First, thank you again for the info on the Sound Exchange. I posted an inquiry on Soulful Detroit and some folks actually belong to it and have received checks. Yea! I'm glad you've had some up front and close experiences with artist from here. Sounds like you have interesting stories to tell too! Glad you found this thread.

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Hey Lorraine, great news about SoundExchange.

I drop by soulfuldetroit frequently. I do not post there anymore, it's historical, but there are some fabulous people on the site. I met both my co producers on that site and it is now 'part of the story' warts and all. Yes, I read Caesars reply (now there's a song title). I once helped try and find a UK publisher years ago for him when 'The Tymes' were hunting for song writing info. Their lead singer used to live over here in Canterbury. Their writer and producer Billy Jackson (The Revels), is a contact of mine. Get your application in now! You can do it electronically, and like that other gentleman said in the thread, he's had a nice lunch out the deal! I guess this would never have been anticipated say, in 1965, a residual from a digital performance! That's the silver lining we all hope for....

Yes, I have some stories, good and bad, nothing like what you guys can tell, but I know along my journey the brick walls I have come across are a plenty...and all in the UK and worse, London. The Americans 100% were behind my dream and made it happen like in a fairytale. Dennis Coffey, Bobby Eli, George Katsakis (The Royaltones) etc. Fantastic.......I remember first hearing 'What can I do' in Hull circa 1976 I think. At that time it was just a gut feeling there maybe some of the same musicians on the track that played at Motown. I did not even know the name Funk Brothers existed but.....I was right. That is when all this started to flourish. When that sax came in, wow...it needed further investigation.....and I am still investigating ha ha....

Social source share

Just a little opinion:

Those of us in the music business love it or we wouldn't be in it. But its just that, music and business. Two sides of a coin. Sunshine and rain.

As artists and/or creative persons, when we perform or asked to do something to enhance/promote the career, you have no idea what the situation will be like decades later. Who heard of the internet or dvd's twenty or thirty years ago? Some folks have a vision and see further and should be rewarded for their creativity and insight. Those who participate in that vision or service and promised to be rewarded should be afforded the common courtesy of communication and compensation, if any.

Being disappointed with a situation doesn't mean a negative, it just is. And it's just that, a disappointment. You all have asked me about 'behind the scenes' stories. They all are not pretty, but you move on.

They say you cannot choose your family, well I'm here and I'm family and I love you all and I'll try to be as open and honest as I can...sometime..most of the time...more so than not... :yes:

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Excellent Lorraine. Thank you. You are right about that sunshine and rain scenario. The business side of it has all sorts of ramifications. I cannot imagine.

I have tried to stay focused with my musical crusade and have my eye on a few unsavoury things that crop up now and then. Here's one to chew over ....the tracks I cut in Detroit were all real instruments including the 110 year old Steinway Grand, real guitars and real vibes.....I insisted on real vibes. Two drummers just like at Motown and craftsmen like Spyder/Babbit/Coffey/Monette/ Van De Pitte etc....doing the business on the day, majestically. Yet, somebody in England told me the music, when released, was not soulful enough and therefore would not stock and sell the product in their 'soul' record store. This store sells vinyl, yet were prejudice enough, just like so many were when all that Detroit stuff was released back in the day, not to give it the time of day. But, on a positive note in recent weeks I attended a Motown gig here in London and somebody who had purchased my records took the trouble to come into London and join me. He had read on Facebook I was attending and make an effort to introduce himself. Priceless....and yes, both these people are members of Soul Source!

I guess in your day when a song was written there was never any doubt what the musical instruments would be on the session. I think that is what so many fans of the music miss on modern productions, the real instrument scenario where a human being plays his/her heart out on a backing track with no name etc. Also, the melodies seem weak and flat in my opinion. Take 'What can I do' - the whole production is exactly what a fan wants with this music. The construction of the song, the drum groove, sax and vocals - no wonder our love affair with you, and your colleagues is still going strong today. You lived through special times with your creativity and unbeknown to you all, you gave up hope for something in our lives as teenagers, well in my case certainly.

Best of luck with SoundExhange..and don't forget to mention about the lavender deodorant ha ha!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

Got a question for you, about another legend such as yourself.

I know she was from Philli, but did you ever meet Yvonne (Mill) Baker on your travels, if so, what was/is she like?

I know her band (The Sensations) cut a version of Jack's 'I can't Change', nearly as good as yours :)

Ever hear that cut? And do you like it?

Thanks again for the music.....I am not worthy.

Aid.

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

Got a question for you, about another legend such as yourself.

I know she was from Philli, but did you ever meet Yvonne (Mill) Baker on your travels, if so, what was/is she like?

I know her band (The Sensations) cut a version of Jack's 'I can't Change', nearly as good as yours :)

Ever hear that cut? And do you like it?

Thanks again for the music.....I am not worthy.

Aid.

Hi Aid,

Good to hear from you again. It is I who is humbled and blessed that we can talk this way. No, I never met Yvonne. Nor was I aware that I covered her songs. (see post #361/4 and #364/4). Ashford and Terry presented them to me raw and it's amazing how much they (we) turned out to sound the same. Mine a little earthier because I have a deeper voice. I like her version too.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine.

Great that you are on here & it is a pleasure to be able to talk to you.

The fantastic "You Only Live Twice" which you recorded how close was it to be coming the theme to the Bond movie of the same title ? Also the tune "After You Give Your All" on Prodigal we all assumed the lead vocals were by you - what is the story with that as the lead singers sounds so much like you.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Lorraine

I would love to know what was the reaction of you and your fellow artists/musicians to the "British invasion" of the U.S. charts in the mid-60's. Was there any bad feeling that it would be that much harder to make your own break through - or did you just roll up your sleeves and get on with it.

A lot of British bands and artists released covers of R&B records. Once again was there any bad feeling about that? I am sure there were a few chancers involved but I always felt that these covers were done with respect to the original artists.

And lastly what did you think of Dusty Springfield then and later? She was a great champion of American R&B over here and did her fair share of R&B tracks. Some say she is the most soulful female singer this country has produced. Agree or disagree??

Thanks

Mark

Social source share

Hi Lorraine.

Great that you are on here & it is a pleasure to be able to talk to you.

The fantastic "You Only Live Twice" which you recorded how close was it to be coming the theme to the Bond movie of the same title ? Also the tune "After You Give Your All" on Prodigal we all assumed the lead vocals were by you - what is the story with that as the lead singers sounds so much like you.

You didn't leave your name but thanks for the question. Live Twice was submitted and then we prayed. To be asked was the honor. We knew some of the competition but as in any competition, someone has the edge. It wasn't us. I will always be proud of the effort and to know we were on the short list in the end is comforting. Ady Croasdell found an earlier version and frankly, I like it. It's a working tape but It's more commercial sounding. Of course I hear all the errors but the tempo is faster, music is kicking, etc.

It's a compliment to be compared to Sandra Richardson. Actually, I love her gospel/R&B sound. She edges on Gladys Knight a bit, but that's alright. She did a wonderful job on Stay Here With Me. Love her voice and working with her.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Lorraine

I would love to know what was the reaction of you and your fellow artists/musicians to the "British invasion" of the U.S. charts in the mid-60's. Was there any bad feeling that it would be that much harder to make your own break through - or did you just roll up your sleeves and get on with it.

A lot of British bands and artists released covers of R&B records. Once again was there any bad feeling about that? I am sure there were a few chancers involved but I always felt that these covers were done with respect to the original artists.

And lastly what did you think of Dusty Springfield then and later? She was a great champion of American R&B over here and did her fair share of R&B tracks. Some say she is the most soulful female singer this country has produced. Agree or disagree??

Thanks

Mark

Hey Mark,

The invasion didn't bother me. I love music and it was still music, and those mopped head boys were doing their thing. Everybody was singing, "yeah, yeah, yeah." I would imagined it rubbed the pop singing white groups a bit here, but in this business, it's cyclical. One day you are up...and the next day... It was just their turn. Period. And you do what you said, wait it out. Good material though.

Being covered by the British bands on R&B material was nothing new. White artist have being doing that over here for the longest, ask Little Richard about it. I wouldn't think someone would feel bad about it unless it's released the same time you put yours out. As an artist only, it might sting a bit, e.g., Peggy Lee covering Little Willie John's, Fever. If you are the writer of the song, the more people record it, the merrier! (The reverse, Whitney Houston singing Dolly Parton's, I'll Always Love You). It's good to know that your music/songs are appreciated all over the world and its the highest form of flattery.

My girl Dusty. Loved Ms. Dusty. Woman could sing and I would totally agree with you regarding her soul status. Sorry she's not with us today. I enjoyed her music. One of your better exports. :yes:

Lorraine

Social source share

Just a little opinion:

Those of us in the music business love it or we wouldn't be in it. But its just that, music and business. Two sides of a coin. Sunshine and rain.

Just a little opinion:

As artists and/or creative persons, when we perform or asked to do something to enhance/promote the career, you have no idea what the situation will be like decades later. Who heard of the internet or dvd's twenty or thirty years ago? Some folks have a vision and see further and should be rewarded for their creativity and insight. Those who participate in that vision or service and promised to be rewarded should be afforded the common courtesy of communication and compensation, if any.

Being disappointed with a situation doesn't mean a negative, it just is. And it's just that, a disappointment. You all have asked me about 'behind the scenes' stories. They all are not pretty, but you move on.

They say you cannot choose your family, well I'm here and I'm family and I love you all and I'll try to be as open and honest as I can...sometime..most of the time...more so than not... :yes:

Lorraine

Hiya Lorraine,

If you could have had a crystal ball back in the 60's and were able to fortell the changes to come as highlighted above (and include the internet and the way we can communicate now) would your career have panned differently?

Mark

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Lorraine.

I live in the village where the great edwin starr lived -polesworth.Did you know him personally and if so

what do you remember about him.

Social source share

Hey Mark,

The invasion didn't bother me. I love music and it was still music, and those mopped head boys were doing their thing. Everybody was singing, "yeah, yeah, yeah." I would imagined it rubbed the pop singing white groups a bit here, but in this business, it's cyclical. One day you are up...and the next day... It was just their turn. Period. And you do what you said, wait it out. Good material though.

Being covered by the British bands on R&B material was nothing new. White artist have being doing that over here for the longest, ask Little Richard about it. I wouldn't think someone would feel bad about it unless it's released the same time you put yours out. As an artist only, it might sting a bit, e.g., Peggy Lee covering Little Willie John's, Fever. If you are the writer of the song, the more people record it, the merrier! (The reverse, Whitney Houston singing Dolly Parton's, I'll Always Love You). It's good to know that your music/songs are appreciated all over the world and its the highest form of flattery.

My girl Dusty. Loved Ms. Dusty. Woman could sing and I would totally agree with you regarding her soul status. Sorry she's not with us today. I enjoyed her music. One of your better exports. :yes:

Lorraine

The coolest music produced in the UK over the last 50 years has always been as a direct result of black America whether it was from the Beatles, the Stones or Led Zeppelin. The UK has always been a cultural sponge for serious influences and black America has been the major influence since Robert Johnson in the late 20's.

I don't know why that is but I suspect it's because of the UK's imperialistic past and the fact that we're possibily a bit more in tune with different cultures as a result of our colonial history. We're a nation of very committed librarians who like documenting stuff and luckily we have a very solid knowledge base of experts in many fields.

I've always found it quite sad that the USA fails to value it's own history in the same way that the UK does. It's somewhat ironic that we should all be having a LIVE conversation in 2011 with such an iconic figure in our history as Lorraine Chandler on a UK forum.

Hey, Dusty was great for sure (and one of my favourite singers of all time), but she never enjoyed the level of credibilty that you have Lorraine.

The internet is a beautiful thing and this thread is the living confirmation.

Ian D X :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wow, THE Lorraine Chandler, welcome! Had the pleasure of seeing you at Prestatyn in March this year, wonderful. Never tire of your tunes, Keep the faith LC. x

Hi Soultrainer,

The pleasure was mine. I'm glad you enjoyed the show. Without faith where would we be? Thanks for the support and the reply.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hiya Lorraine,

If you could have had a crystal ball back in the 60's and were able to fortell the changes to come as highlighted above (and include the internet and the way we can communicate now) would your career have panned differently?

Mark

Hey Mark,

I need a little time to think about this one. I shall get back to you. I didn't want to you to think that I skipped you. I am, but I'm coming back!

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Lorraine.

I live in the village where the great edwin starr lived -polesworth.Did you know him personally and if so

what do you remember about him.

Hi Garysoul82,

Yes, I had the pleasure of meeting him and carried a conversation with him-once! After a string of hits, he upped and moved with you all. He appeared to have a wonderful personality and he put on a good show. I like good entertainers.

Thanks for the question.

Lorraine

Social source share

The coolest music produced in the UK over the last 50 years has always been as a direct result of black America whether it was from the Beatles, the Stones or Led Zeppelin. The UK has always been a cultural sponge for serious influences and black America has been the major influence since Robert Johnson in the late 20's.

I don't know why that is but I suspect it's because of the UK's imperialistic past and the fact that we're possibily a bit more in tune with different cultures as a result of our colonial history. We're a nation of very committed librarians who like documenting stuff and luckily we have a very solid knowledge base of experts in many fields.

I've always found it quite sad that the USA fails to value it's own history in the same way that the UK does. It's somewhat ironic that we should all be having a LIVE conversation in 2011 with such an iconic figure in our history as Lorraine Chandler on a UK forum.

Hey, Dusty was great for sure (and one of my favourite singers of all time), but she never enjoyed the level of credibilty that you have Lorraine.

The internet is a beautiful thing and this thread is the living confirmation.

Ian D X :D

Dear Ian,

Your post is a statement of beauty.

I have always commented on how you all treasure your history and I admire that. The Northern Soul folks carved out a piece of history, live in it and protect it. There is something to be said for that.

Your statement stands alone and I'll just say thank you for the compliment and continue to think of how to answer Mark. Have a good one.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

There's been a great thread running on US record distribution during the 60s here on Soul Source

Do you have any stories/knowledge you could add to this thread.

Were you even aware of the distribution routes/methods that were employed to get you records out there?

Would be great to hear anything you could add to this thread from an artists perspective,

cheers,

Paul

Social source share

Hi Lorraine, fantastic to see you conversating to such a degree on the site....I have a question...In the 60s and early 70s from where the bulk of the records that we treaure hail from, the artists singing on them clearly came from a generation where a hell of a lot of them had learnt to sing in Church...In fact it seems like there were literally thousands and thousands of 'Soul' singers trying to make it in the 60s, the vast majority of whom were steeped in Gospel singing as part of their youthful creative development...

I personally and I am sure many others agree, feel that this was a crucial aspect in terms of the high quality vocal skills which are so apparent on 60s Soul records....Having spent a fair bit of time in the USA over recent years, it is clear that the Church, as in commnon with the church here, does not contain it it's ranks the same large amounts of young people that would have been filling the pews, say, back in the early 50s, pre-doo-wop...Religion on the whole is having a lesser affect on young people and one of the products of this, I feel, is a notablly deficient overall level of Gospel flavoured vocal skills amongst young American singers today...Don't get me wrong, there are still some fantastic younger R'N'B vocalists out there....But not in the huge swathes that were apparent in the 60s when on even obscure tiny labels, records featuring artists that remained unknown and unaknowledged forever (unless it was on our UK Northern Soul scene that is!) you could find absolutely awesome vocal performances...

Even on a lot of the top artists today however, there is a kind of smoother, blander approach which does not quite cut it in the same way as those 60s Soul vocalisations...

Obviously, in a contempoary time frame, Hip-Hop and rap has accompanied this development (lack of gospel influence) and these styles demand very little in terms of Soul/Gospel style vocal ability...

In the long run, do you see the Gospel/Soul vocal style as something that that is going to diminsh even further and if so, will at some point in the future become something that is risking being lost from Black American and American culture in general?....For instance in 60 years time, just how many people will be coming through the churches and carrying the vocal abilities to match those levels attained in the 1960s?...

Would truly appreciate your thoughts on these aspects...

Richard Chorley

Social source share

Hiya Lorraine,

Mark

OK Mark,

I've thought and thought and I don't see that much change. Sure, I would love some top sellers (and get paid for them) but I always had a dilemma on what I wanted to do. I love the stage and I'm a better performer than singer, but I loooove writing and producing :wub: . Some things that happened in my career I had no control of and the mistakes I made helped me to learn the business.

Remember, there was no school for the new frontier of rhythm and blues music. It was an 'on the job' training scene. If I knew about the internet and the prospect of no vinyl (in the late 20th century) back then, I would have taken more pictures and film of folks in the industry and chronicled more of what I did. (You all did a excellent job of that). To know I would not hold an album or 45 in my hand (outside the ones I purchased in real time) would be devastating :facepalm: and unbelievable!

While I'm truly executive material, I love music more and I am/was too militant/radical to work for a major record company (I would always bend the artist way and not administration's). But to make policy, you have to be political and I was never good at that (maybe that means I'm not the executive I thought I was). It was always about the quality of the product for me.

So saying this, I might be in the same position I am in now even if I knew the future but maybe with more cash.

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

There's been a great thread running on US record distribution during the 60s here on Soul Source

Do you have any stories/knowledge you could add to this thread.

Were you even aware of the distribution routes/methods that were employed to get you records out there?

Would be great to hear anything you could add to this thread from an artists perspective,

cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I did visit your thread. I agree with what has been said and will reply there later. Yes, I was aware of distribution because I knew distributors and the business. But from an artist view, we don't have one. We just want the record played and sold. An artist has to get ready to promote and/or work in the region where the product is selling. Management would not want the artist to dwell on such things. I wouldn't. The last thing I would need is some singer(s) telling me how to distribute. Sorry. Will visit you in a little while.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Good morning Lorraine, hope you're keeping well. It's nice to see that you're replying to every post on here, top girl.

Cheers Billy

Hey Billy,

I was taught to reply to a greeting (if able). I am doing great. Thank you for stopping by.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

OK Mark,

I've thought and thought and I don't see that much change. Sure, I would love some top sellers (and get paid for them) but I always had a dilemma on what I wanted to do. I love the stage and I'm a better performer than singer, but I loooove writing and producing :wub: . Some things that happened in my career I had no control of and the mistakes I made helped me to learn the business.

Remember, there was no school for the new frontier of rhythm and blues music. It was an 'on the job' training scene. If I knew about the internet and the prospect of no vinyl (in the late 20th century) back then, I would have taken more pictures and film of folks in the industry and chronicled more of what I did. (You all did a excellent job of that). To know I would not hold an album or 45 in my hand (outside the ones I purchased in real time) would be devastating :facepalm: and unbelievable!

While I'm truly executive material, I love music more and I am/was too militant/radical to work for a major record company (I would always bend the artist way and not administration's). But to make policy, you have to be political and I was never good at that (maybe that means I'm not the executive I thought I was). It was always about the quality of the product for me.

So saying this, I might be in the same position I am in now even if I knew the future but maybe with more cash.

Lorraine

Thanks for taking the time to write such a considered reply Lorraine. I'm an artist of the painting variety and I've asked myself the same question and came to a similar conclusion as yourself. But, there's still the future! :)

Social source share

It's a compliment to be compared to Sandra Richardson. Actually, I love her gospel/R&B sound. She edges on Gladys Knight a bit, but that's alright. She did a wonderful job on Stay Here With Me. Love her voice and working with her.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

Just dug out my 45 "The Ring"/ "I Feel A Song" on Buddah260 after seeing this post..........was this the 1st recording of "I Feel...." before Gladys version ?

I can only echo previous posts concerning your fantastic contribution to the soul music scene..........can only add...thanks for all the years of musical pleasure you have given us

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!