Fragile Handle With Care

Is it just my deliveries or have record dealers stopped putting Fragile on packages now? I can't remember the last time I saw this on a package. I only mention this as our letter box is half way up the door and the daft postie just posts it through huh.gif Luckily not had one break yet but I can see it happening one day :no:

Maybe I should just get a new front door :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've never been convinced that putting fragile on a package changes the way its handled or delivered by any of the postal services. Maybe that's just my pessimistic view of postal services in general and that has nothing to do with my view of the competance of any individual person working for them. My postie has done a great job delivering the many parcels and I even got on quite friendly terms with the guys in the holding office in Orpington, when they saw me walk in through the door, they'd smile and scoot off to get my packages..... such nice men

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I've never been convinced that putting fragile on a package changes the way its handled or delivered by any of the postal services. Maybe that's just my pessimistic view of postal services in general and that has nothing to do with my view of the competance of any individual person working for them. My postie has done a great job delivering the many parcels and I even got on quite friendly terms with the guys in the holding office in Orpington, when they saw me walk in through the door, they'd smile and scoot off to get my packages..... such nice men

Probably not true of all posties but I have seen packages thrown all over the place with no thought as to whether they have a Fragile Handle With Care sticker on or not. I had an LP delivered which the postie folded in half to put through the letter box ohmy.gif . It had Fragile sticker and a Do Not Bend on as well, you can guess how many pieces the LP was in.:hatsoff2: However the vast majority of my records have always arrived intact.

Mick W

Social source share

Is it just my deliveries or have record dealers stopped putting Fragile on packages now? I can't remember the last time I saw this on a package. I only mention this as our letter box is half way up the door and the daft postie just posts it through huh.gif Luckily not had one break yet but I can see it happening one day :no:

Maybe I should just get a new front door :hatsoff2:

Be cheaper to move letter box, the bit you saw out stuff it in the old one, bit of filler and bobs your uncle no worries.biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Be cheaper to move letter box, the bit you saw out stuff it in the old one, bit of filler and bobs your uncle no worries.biggrin.gif

:lol::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I bet when you dig a hole you dig another one to put the muck in. :lol:

Social source share

Good friends with my postie and he's into Northern :lol: so he understands what is in the packages, also know the guy at the collection office in Bramhall, as you say he goes straight for my parcels soon as he sees me walking up the driveway. Never had a broken record delivered yet....touch wood :lol:

Social source share

I suppose if Fragile Handle With Care is on the package and the postie drops it through a letter box 4 feet off the ground I guess you have cause for complaint whereas if nothing written on them by the seller then I guess you don't, that's my complaint really.

Social source share

Thankfully only had one album come through with a bad crease through it. Bad packaging, not the posties fault. Nothing as near as bad as my mate here who's Don Gardner arrived in several pieces oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Social source share

I suppose if Fragile Handle With Care is on the package and the postie drops it through a letter box 4 feet off the ground I guess you have cause for complaint whereas if nothing written on them by the seller then I guess you don't, that's my complaint really.

I wouldnt even bother Chalky. I once witnessed my postman cram a record through my letter box, I heard it break ( couldnt get there in time) . When i opened it it was in half. When i asked the Royal Mail for compensation they said no. This was due to the fact the item had come from overseas and it could have got broken along the way. Also regards the "fragile tape " Worse thing you can do is put that on stuff. Royal Mail staff love it. Seen it with my own eyes as ive worked for them for 11 years. Not saying everyone is like it but there are a fair few that like to chuck items that say "fragile" on them. Also things that say "glass" on them are also a Fav :lol:

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

I have a great postie, if i recieve a signed for package and i'm not in he signs it and pops it thru the letterbox also with albums or 12s if i'm not in he drops a note in so i can get them next time he passes.

He has also waited while i have opened a shoddy packaged parcel or record just in case they are damaged as one was once, helped me get full comp from post office, so my postie is a good un :0).

cheers Ralph

Social source share

I have a great postie, if i recieve a signed for package and i'm not in he signs it and pops it thru the letterbox also with albums or 12s if i'm not in he drops a note in so i can get them next time he passes.

He has also waited while i have opened a shoddy packaged parcel or record just in case they are damaged as one was once, helped me get full comp from post office, so my postie is a good un :0).

cheers Ralph

Mines great as well,will sign for me and leave it with the girl in the downstairs flat if im not in,last time i spoke to him about this,he told me most of the probs are due to thr PO employing migrant labour with only the basic grasp of english,he,s worked for them for 40 years

Social source share

cheers Ralph

Dont know how long hes been a postie but totally not the thing to do. One its illegal and two Royal Mail in the current climate love stuff like this and would and can sack him. Always think its best to sign for stuff yourself. Covers both of you then

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Dont know how long hes been a postie but totally not the thing to do. One its illegal and two Royal Mail in the current climate love stuff like this and would and can sack him. Always think its best to sign for stuff yourself. Covers both of you then

Always tell him before hand when i'm due something and have given written permission to sign for me just to safeguard him from any actions taken against him, permission was written by the wife as she is a legal solicitor and signed by myself.

cheers Ralph

Social source share

Always tell him before hand when i'm due something and have given written permission to sign for me just to safeguard him from any actions taken against him, permission was written by the wife as she is a legal solicitor and signed by myself.

cheers Ralph

A good idea. Known a few posties get caught on things like this mind....sign items...leave stuff over the fence.....leave with next door...when it all goes tits up nobody wants to know and then the postie gets it in the neck.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

"Fragile" stickers will do little to protect a packet whilst in transportation via Royal Mail, items are sent in Mail sacks, the only thing that will protect records is adequete packing, something that will stop them from bending, heard that cardboard inserts are good for this, you know the ones you can buy along with record mailers, or even an old cardboard box cut up to the right size.

Never going to stop a postman from playing the HULK and trying to bend it to fit through a letter box, though must admitt they must be a rare bred. the only records i've ever recieved damaged are ones with out any packing material.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

A good idea. Known a few posties get caught on things like this mind....sign items...leave stuff over the fence.....leave with next door...when it all goes tits up nobody wants to know and then the postie gets it in the neck.

The correct procedure.

You have to write a letter of consent addressed to the Delivery office manager, it then becomes an official delivery instruction and takes any liability away from Royal Mail if something were to go wrong. For signed for items, the Manager signs for it, Not the postman.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert