Gloria Walker & The Chevelles

For give my ignorance, I have purchased a copy of Gloria Walker & The Chevelles "You Hit The Spot Baby" on Flaming Arrow label. I am assuming the one I have is a demo copy on the other side the PLUG SIDEpost-6352-0-29576300-1304951274_thumb.jppost-6352-0-57613000-1304951300_thumb.jpand the one with flaming arrow figure is an issue, (Label scan from another source) is this correct?

post-6352-0-62788700-1304951227_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I am by no means sure of this but I seem to recall a re-issue of this, presuming a legit re-issue. Could be top pic is a re-issue. Sure others on here will know better. I've got an orig at home I can check for other id in the run-out.

Edited by Dean
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

For give my ignorance, I have purchased a copy of Gloria Walker & The Chevelles "You Hit The Spot Baby" on Flaming Arrow label. I am assuming the one I have is a demo copy on the other side the PLUG SIDEpost-6352-0-29576300-1304951274_thumb.jppost-6352-0-57613000-1304951300_thumb.jpand the one with flaming arrow figure is an issue, (Label scan from another source) is this correct?

You're 100 per cent correct on all counts.

The demo has the older design of Flaming Arrow, per GW's previous release 'Talking About My Baby'. I'd guess that the New York pressing plant just had some old label stock left and used it for the demos, while waiting to take arrival of the better designed label that succeeded it.

These copies were both pressed at the same plant and around the same time....

Social source share

Hi Dean and Tony

Thanks for the info,The numbers on the run out have been scribbled out, but there is A.T. and a scribe of S laid on its side and inset in the S there is a C and an R or a B

Regards

Andy

Social source share

I am by no means sure of this but I seem to recall a re-issue of this, presuming a legit re-issue. Could be top pic is a re-issue. Sure others on here will know better. I've got an orig at home I can check for other id in the run-out.

there is a recent 'boot' - easy to spot as it has Angela Davis on the other side and it's on 'Flying Arrow'!

Social source share

Both pressed at Specialty Records of Olyphant, Pennsylvania (denoted by the SP suffix after the master number). The typesetting was done for Specialty by a company called Keystone in Scranton PA.

Specialty took over from MGM as the de-facto 'main' Atlantic pressing plant in 1965. The size of orders at individual pressing plants would depend on many things, such as which region a particular record was likely to sell well in, but I like to think of the SP pressings as the nicest way to get classic Atlantic 45s of the soul era because of the quality of the pressings themselves and the superior typesetting used.

A quick look at popsike reveals that there are also copies of FA-37 pressed at Plastic Products in Memphis (PL suffix) and Monarch in LA (MO suffix). The Monarch and Plastic demos are basically the issue label minus the red ink on the logotype, which is rendered in black only.

My preference would be for the Specialty press. In my experience their vinyl was of higher quality than PP and preferable to the styrene of Monarch.

On a purely personal note I've never really cared for the hand-drawn Flaming Arrow device so was pleased to get a demo with the 'Flaming Arrow' just in script.

In short not a re-issue and probably the best way to own the record (others may disagree!)

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I did mean PA, not NY, for the pressing plant but in my defence I was momentarily distracted while typing my post and I didn't proof it properly.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Social source share

The ''Plug Side'' of the record, ''Walking With My New Love'' was a big record on the deep soul scene in Amsterdam in the mid 70's. It was fairly common in small quantities on the label with the arrow on but I don't think turned up by the thousand so a re-press may have been done to meet demand. Nice record for both sides.

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert