Kiki Dee At Motown

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

OK, never mind how I got there, it's a long story, but I noticed a mint copy of Kiki Dee's Motown album on Ebay, opening bid £30 plus £4 P&P.

Sometime back in the 80s I was in Tandy's and they had a box of cut-outs going for a quid each. There were 6 copies of that album in there, and I didn't buy a single solitary one of them...

I think they must have been Radio Shack specials as well because the cover was different to either of the two currently in circulation.

Oh well, I never wanted to be Richard Branson in the first place... frusty2.gif

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK, never mind how I got there, it's a long story, but I noticed a mint copy of Kiki Dee's Motown album on Ebay, opening bid £30 plus £4 P&P.

Sometime back in the 80s I was in Tandy's and they had a box of cut-outs going for a quid each. There were 6 copies of that album in there, and I didn't buy a single solitary one of them...

I think they must have been Radio Shack specials as well because the cover was different to either of the two currently in circulation.

Oh well, I never wanted to be Richard Branson in the first place... :thumbsup:

In respect of finding albums in off beat locations , I picked up the Kiki Dee " GE " album in a pram / maternity shop in Barnsley in 1974 .

I was walking past the shop , and lord knows why I looked inside , but upon doing so , I saw a carousel containing albums near the till counter .

Beside the KD , there was also the Marv Johnson " I'll Pick a Rose For My Rose " UK TM album , priced like the KD , at 50P :huh:

Malc

Social source share

In respect of finding albums in off beat locations , I picked up the Kiki Dee " GE " album in a pram / maternity shop in Barnsley in 1974 .

I was walking past the shop , and lord knows why I looked inside , but upon doing so , I saw a carousel containing albums near the till counter .

Beside the KD , there was also the Marv Johnson " I'll Pick a Rose For My Rose " UK TM album , priced like the KD , at 50P :thumbsup:

Malc

Maybe Malc you had Great Expectations of your own! LOL

Social source share

Maybe Malc you had Great Expectations of your own! LOL

I did not , that is why it was strange that I looked inside the pram shop , as our first child was not born until 1983 :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

kiki dee - more today than yesyerday - tamla

ph34r.gif

Always liked " Love Is A Warm Kind Of Sorrow " .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I've always thought 'The day will come between Sunday and Monday' is one of the great song titles of all time. Not quite up there with 'Wednesday comes but once a year (And when it does it's Tuesday)', but still a contender.

Social source share

I've always thought 'The day will come between Sunday and Monday' is one of the great song titles of all time. Not quite up there with 'Wednesday comes but once a year (And when it does it's Tuesday)', but still a contender.

Another contender is The Gems " That's What They Put Erasers on Pencils For "

Malc

Social source share

It and many others were picked up in the woolworths emi throwaway album sale in the late 60's early 70's for eg'

darrell banks (forgive me still one of my favourites to this day)

rare stamps (jj barnes steve mancha)

monitors (gave it to our kid)

kim weston (gone)

fantastic four(gone)

johnny taylor

always regret not buying Martin Luther king album on motown they had loads of it left long after all the others had gone.

Edited by smudger
Social source share

It and many others were picked up in the woolworths emi throwaway album sale in the late 60's early 70's for eg'

darrell banks (forgive me still one of my favourites to this day)

rare stamps (jj barnes steve mancha)

monitors (gave it to our kid)

kim weston (gone)

fantastic four(gone)

johnny taylor

always regret not buying Martin Luther king album on motown they had loads of it left long after all the others had gone.

I was working in Sheffield in the early 70s , a branch of Boots down the road from my workplace had several carousel racks of albums ( including several of the ones you have mentioned ) at ridiculous bargain prices .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Always liked " Love Is A Warm Kind Of Sorrow " .

Malc

Ditto. Absolutely love "warm kind of sorrow". Put it on the KGB 11th anniversary c.d. last year to get people to listen to it. Been playing it a lot at the KGB and Victory Club and seems to go down well. Top tune. Barry, KGB, KTF.

P.S. I paid £30 for my copy last year.

Edited by Barry Holland
Social source share

Guest karen b

Got a mint Tamla Motown and mint Tamla (with the union jack covered sleeve) if anyone interested.

Pete

Social source share

..soul bowl had lots of them also in the late 70's..at around £1 or £1.50 each ..i bought the kiki dee plus joe hicks and Aaron nevile ( inc g davis & r tyler) LPs all same price..oh and Total eclipse (supertime) Larry santos was a fiver..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert