Disco Collection

THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY DISCO COLLECTION OF 45S,APPROX 500 IN TOTAL,

70'S AND EARLY 80'S EVERY THING FROM THE STYLISTICS GEORGE MCRAE TO THE VILLAGE PEOPLE AND STUFF LIKE THE THEME FROM CHIPS AND LOVEBOAT.

WOULD EVIL BAY BE THE BEST WAY OF DISPOSING OF THESE AND WHAT WOULD YOU HAZARD AT A STARTING PRICE PLEASE. NEED THE DOSH TO BUY MORE NORTHERN AND RARESOUL.

THANKS KEV

FEEL FREE TO MOVE THIS MODS. THAT MANY SECTIONS I DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO START

TA

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

70'S AND EARLY 80'S EVERY THING FROM THE STYLISTICS GEORGE MCRAE TO THE VILLAGE PEOPLE AND STUFF LIKE THE THEME FROM CHIPS AND LOVEBOAT.

WOULD EVIL BAY BE THE BEST WAY OF DISPOSING OF THESE AND WHAT WOULD YOU HAZARD AT A STARTING PRICE PLEASE. NEED THE DOSH TO BUY MORE NORTHERN AND RARESOUL.

THANKS KEV

TA

Not being funny but would anyone really want to buy this sort of thing? I've got about the same amount as you sitting in my shed, I'd have taken 10p each for them

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Not being funny but would anyone really want to buy this sort of thing? I've got about the same amount as you sitting in my shed, I'd have taken 10p each for them

Seem's not - but then would suit some southern type Solar 0129 channel dj's in there late fifties. Who flog's tickets for table's with a meal and candles including late nite dancing too Jazz Funk classic's and a PA at the White Heart or somewhere in Dunstable etc, etc..........................:thumbsup:

Social source share

Packs like those do generally sell on ebay and about the best place for them too really. Just don't expect much for them to be honest. However.. I've seen the odd pack make some decent money. Maybe split them up and try and categorise them a little to maybe tempt more buyers.. jazz funk pack - general disco pack - .. then again you could always do what a lot of sellers do on ebay and call it a northern soul pack....... As Pete says not worth much really.. so maybe a starting price of £50? You can always take a chance and start low or maybe a Buy It Now Price or best offers..

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

But then that's good general advice HarrogateSoul, but with House and Garage 12" fetching 30 pence, bulk rating's, including recent and 25 year old classic's - who want to buy another worthless dated Jazz Funk collection. "Turn The Music Up". Owe and "Get your body down".

Social source share

But then that's good general advice HarrogateSoul, but with House and Garage 12" fetching 30 pence, bulk rating's, including recent and 25 year old classic's - who want to buy another worthless dated Jazz Funk collection. "Turn The Music Up". Owe and "Get your body down".

But at least putting 'em on E-bay or Discogs makes 'em viewable to the world. And it's surprising what people are looking for elsewhere. I've sold lots of stuff that's reasonably common here to foreign buyers who either can't find 'em locally or want generally superior UK pressings. If you're really lucky you could find a Disco completist (yes, lots of people seriously collect Disco, some of 'em on even on here). Also sometimes events conspire to create weird demand for stuff that's everywhere. Every single Jacksons and Michael Jackson record went from my Discogs stock within 12 hours when MJ passed away, not that I'm being Ghoulish or anything. Who knows what can suddenly fan a demand?

Good idea to put 'em into genre-based catergories too. I'm actually going through a few thousand Soul/Disco 7" things right now so I might try a few targetted packs out myself..........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Imogen

I think it would be best putting them on discogs or ebay in packs as there are plently of disco collectors out there such as myself ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

Probably what people like Richard Domar used to think in the early 80s and, as anyone who used to buy the packs regularly, will tell you the "unwanted rubbish" in there.

3 Innersections in one, a Charles Johnson in another and numerous other "worthless" stuff that I still cherish. Motherfox used to pop up quite often back in 82/83 for under a jax, a lot of people probably thought that was an outdated, worthless record. See it last week for £800, nice work if you can get it

Saying House and garage 12s is like saying red cars. Yeah, there's a lot of shit, but cream always rises, Michael Proctor, UBP, Michael Watford, Kelly B, Mark Davis, Full Intention, Vonita White, Blaze12s aint going for 30 pence .... anywhere.

And turn it in with the geographical bigotry.

Social source share

:( Hi ALL... Some how it it just don't seem to make sance, when you have a reply saying they are worth only 10p each. But that's the harsh reality of to-days record scene, 2 years ago I got 350 DISCO 45s for £22, all very nice tunes if you like this stuff, the simple truth is no one is going to give you more than 10p for KLF or the CROWN HEIGHTS AFFAIR, GEORGE BENSON. MELBA MOORE, AND SO ON UNLESS THERE IS AN OBSCURE B SIDE, that has got a play somewhere, one day maybe, but anything from 1982 on wards with a few exceptions (mainly unreleased US soul or reissue REGGAE, on WHITE US, STUDIO 1 or COXONE which sell for about £2 if you buy direct)

I say keep them or give them to a youngster who wants to practice, in saying this, the rule is different for DISCO & SOUL 12" RECORDS, A s early 12" records are very collectible in comparison to 7" singles when was the last time you got a CONTEMPO 12"?? or a HIP HOP 12" PRE 84?? IT'S HORSES 4 COURSES??ph34r.gif DAVE DOUBLE DEX

Social source share

I think it would be best putting them on discogs or ebay in packs as there are plently of disco collectors out there such as myself ! :thumbsup:

Absolutley Imogen :unsure:

You'd be surprised at what sells - Have sold plenty of jazz funk / disco classics in the last couple of years on both Discogs & Ebay. Only last month George Duke / Pieces of A Dream etc etc have gone - albeit for a quid but was surprised at even the UK labels going down well as well as USA issues. I guess it's down to time and how quickly you want to sell. Don't forget there's plenty of house etc music makers looking for samples. Long live all 45 collectors I say!

Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

An old school mate of mine always has stuff on Discogs. Funny enough, he always plays it down saying "its all shit, there's nothing there you'd want" and, every time, I end up parting with £40-£50 for a load of LPs that are far from shit. There's plenty of folks out there of all ages who have never heard Crown Heights Affair, Players Association etc. Just because they aren't rare and the majority of soul collectors know them, doesn't mean they are shit or worthless. Give me Crown Heights Affair over Spencer Wiggins any day of the week.

Social source share

Kev, with that amount mate you should find yourself a venue, get a couple of decks and play the damn things. You would pack em in mate. There is still a market for the odd disco night ANYWHERE. O.K. it's handbagger stuff but if you enjioy it and make a quid WHO CARES. We had one here a while ago...750 tickets sold in 2 weeks. What does that tell you ? You alway's have yer northern to fall back on. I await the inevitable deluge with bated breath !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do i press reply ???????

Social source share

THANKS KEV

TA

Defo Discogs...:hatsoff2:

Works a bit like Amazon where you only pay for the listing if it sells, so no outlay or loss before you start. The listings are set out, so no need to photograph, then you just pick the price you want. Un-like Amazon, you get to choose your postage costs. I find Amazon don't cover costs properly, especially on 12"s.

Good luck...gives you something to do when the tv is boring on an evening...:yes:

I got a job lot of mash up re-mix awful 12"s from someone with some Technics I bought and they're goin really well...ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Yeah, there's a lot of shit, but cream always rises, Michael Proctor, UBP, Michael Watford, Kelly B, Mark Davis, Full Intention, Vonita White, Blaze12s aint going for 30 pence .... anywhere.

Like other's on here many will have purchased all the above as new release's back in the early 90's and mid 90's. When these new release records were first time tasted as fresh. Not like some stale "dated affected" modern room old or current scene spin's. Sad as it is true- these records have been introduced musically to a dying breed - as scene "feeder records", who's year release date stamp, fits in with there time capsuled window.

Example -sometime ago I looked on Rare Northern Soul.Com on here, as advertised on the home page..............................look for Jay Williams" Testify" - quote" will go massive one day", it did for Danny Rampling and many other's who in1997 introduced this UBP as fresh.Selling now for £50.00 due to greedy or little knowledge, who's cream filled selling ego's are seriously extended. And as you posted above TrimmTrabb - as sold as individual items will fetch silly money................and more if played by Soul Sam................ remember Hunter Hayes etc.

But then not's let loose sight of the fact that Kev is selling "45's only" - that to me reads like early commercial soul.

Geographical bigotry - followed Curtis, Schofield and Dewhirst throughout the jazz funk movement in the north and the midlands,never did the over kil lGoldmine/ Caister, but then had some of the best House nite in the capital.

Social source share

and more if played by Soul Sam................ remember Hunter Hayes etc.

Didn't realise Sam had played any Hunter Hayes Nick.

Which one, It's Not Over or the Blaze Live Together thing?

Not bothered either way as got both for peanuts but be nice if they are worth a few quid.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Not bothered either way as got both for peanuts but be nice if they are worth a few quid.

Deffo was Hunters 1991 offering of "Its Not Over" - Columbia USA (44 73734) Martin.

Regards,

Nick :hatsoff2: .

Social source share

think, its not over has been played on the modern scene over the years, great track.

Social source share

Whats Dunstable got to do with it (I feel Tina Turner coming on).......some Cfuking good collections in Luton/Dunstable area.....

Annway that aside, geezer I work with makes MORE than a few bob doing the hand bag discos, THERE is a call for it.

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert