Unreleased Acetate Chuck Jackson

• Replies 28
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is Kitch playing it from acetate as well? Was it ever released? Sounds like Chuck to these ears.Just got an acetate myself from the US by Zola Taylor who I believe was a singer for the Platters.It's a ten inch and you have to put the needle halfway across the vinyl to play it!.

Social source share

I'm 99.99999999% sure it's Chuck Jackson

If you check BMI it's a Joey Levine - Laynge Martin composition which, according to my logic, places it in New York

I think Mr Rounce has better ears than I so I would bow to his expertise and opinion if he is able to comment

Andy

Edited by AndyRix
Social source share

It's not a drill hole. Most, if not all, original acetates had this type of hole. It's used to hiold the blank disc in place as it revolves under the cutting tool.

I used to think that until the guy who used to cut my acetates said otherwise. He reckoned the second hole denotes that the disc is not 100% perfect in some way (not 100% flat, bumps in the actete etc) and that it shouldn't be used as a master, but only as a sample to play.

Every acetate machine I've seen in operation had a suction cup to hold the disc in place as it was cutting, rather than having a second spindle.

Not saying either if us is wrong or right...anyone else want to express an opinion?

Great track, by the way...very CJ.

:hypocrite:

Social source share

It's more likely to be a demo singer adopting the general sound and style of Chuck Jackson, maybe because they wanted to pitch the song to him or to someone like him.

There were many singers at the time who tried to sound like Chuck Jackson, Ben E. King and others.

The voice sounds quite similar in places but I'm not convinced because it lacks Chuck's usual power and dynamics.

And, to be honest, the song itself isn't anything exceptional when compared to the classics from that era.

Social source share

And, to be honest, the song itself isn't anything exceptional when compared to the classics from that era.

when i read this thread i was hoping for a lot and then seeing how much it went for i thought it must be really special...but just listened and it is NOT - it 's a 'nice' 60s type record - that's it imo

Social source share

It's more likely to be a demo singer adopting the general sound and style of Chuck Jackson, maybe because they wanted to pitch the song to him or to someone like him.

There were many singers at the time who tried to sound like Chuck Jackson, Ben E. King and others.

The voice sounds quite similar in places but I'm not convinced because it lacks Chuck's usual power and dynamics.

could the vocals lack the power because they are a bit back in the mix ?

it does sound like CJ but as you say lots of people mimicked the styles of well known sin gers all the time so it could be anybody.

Social source share

when i read this thread i was hoping for a lot and then seeing how much it went for i thought it must be really special...but just listened and it is NOT - it 's a 'nice' 60s type record - that's it imo

Same here, Dave. It's nice but nothing special and I doubt it would get much attention if it wasn't unissued.

Social source share

could the vocals lack the power because they are a bit back in the mix ?

it does sound like CJ but as you say lots of people mimicked the styles of well known sin gers all the time so it could be anybody.

Yes the voice is a bit low in the mix.

If it was a Chuck Jackson session I think the voice would be more upfront.

Social source share

I think Ken and Paul are absolutely spot on. Definitely a demo singer recording 'in the style of' Chuck Jackson rather than the real thing and the vocal is very reminiscent of Ronnie Milsap's Scepter sides: so much so that it's as likely to be him as anyone else.

Milsap's ability to sound like other singers was so uncanny that it's almost a case of him never actually sounding like himself. His country hits from later in his career are so different to what came earlier that it's hard to reconcile that he was at one time probably the most 'authentic' sounding blue-eyed soul man of them all.

Joey Levine is an interesting songwriter whose mid 60s output ran the gamut of the sublime (How Big Is Big) to the ridiculous (Yummy, Yummy, Yummy).

Social source share

I think Ken and Paul are absolutely spot on. Definitely a demo singer recording 'in the style of' Chuck Jackson rather than the real thing and the vocal is very reminiscent of Ronnie Milsap's Scepter sides: so much so that it's as likely to be him as anyone else.

Milsap's ability to sound like other singers was so uncanny that it's almost a case of him never actually sounding like himself. His country hits from later in his career are so different to what came earlier that it's hard to reconcile that he was at one time probably the most 'authentic' sounding blue-eyed soul man of them all.

Joey Levine is an interesting songwriter whose mid 60s output ran the gamut of the sublime (How Big Is Big) to the ridiculous (Yummy, Yummy, Yummy).

If I had to pick a favourite blue eyed song I might go for linden hill on arch. That sounds very soulful.

Social source share

I just gave the clip a listen.

No way is that Chuck Jackson (but I can see why it might be 'covered' as such)

Lacks the tone, depth, power and brilliant vocal modulation of Chuck.

This sounds to me like a guy who is lacking in all four.

He even sounds shaky and breathless in parts, where CJ always had power to burn.

On second listen, it's an OK Demo, but it lacks the commitment that either Jackson or King would have ever given it.

Reckon Chuck would have Killed it!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert