Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i think marcs right on with his sale price but it has sold for £600 in its time................ also gets played at our sunday chillout by our very own soulful mick waddington

dave

£600 when it was rare and relatively new Dave :thumbsup:

Been a few copies since then so i'd say £400 set sale on a forum where people are picky about prices ,or take your chances and put it on ebay for a wider audience :wicked:

Social source share

mick got it from gary smith from sheffield who`d had it since the 70`s and he didnt like it and new nothing about.. gary cant remember what made him buy only that it was about 50p lol

dave

Ahh the wonderful 70's Dave.........

bought my first record around 73ish ....

ALVIN STARDUST-MY COO CA CHOO ..that was about 50p ..anyone wanna pay me £400 for that ,feel free :thumbsup:

Or was it "BLOCKBUSTER " by THE SWEET :wicked:

Social source share

Usually sells pretty quickly when offered for sale so demand is there so who knows it might just fetch a tad more. I would agree with others though at £400 if sticking a price on it.

Your kidding me Chalky ...for Alvin Stardust or the Sweet :thumbsup:

Social source share

mick got it from gary smith from sheffield who`d had it since the 70`s and he didnt like it and new nothing about.. gary cant remember what made him buy only that it was about 50p lol

dave

He got a good return on his 50p but I was very happy with what I paid.:wicked: :wicked: Fabulous record bought as a birthday pressie for myself.:thumbsup:

Social source share

dave

That's the story of so many records though. Tons of these kind of titles came through in the 70's and often they'd be bulk buys, more often than not, at 10p each if you bought 1000. I had literally thousands of spares which were unplayable back then but which now make sense. Anything on Brownstone would be an automatic reject back then because it would be classified as Funk full stop. Records like Little Johnny Blair's "Momma's Gone" or even Ann Sexton's "You've Been Gone Too Long" were long shots that defied the odds mainly because the jocks who broke 'em (Levine and Curtis) stuck with 'em against all the odds.

We were very elitist about labels back then and some labels were just too funky for their own good. :hatsoff2:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

this isn't the same brownstone label as james brown

Ah. So it probably wasn't pressed in the other Brownstone quantities then? Anyone got a label scan? It sure sounds like a funky record though. I wasn't even aware that there was another Brownstone label....also I wonder if it's the same Everyday People who were on Red Coach.....?

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Ah. So it probably wasn't pressed in the other Brownstone quantities then? Anyone got a label scan? It sure sounds like a funky record though. I wasn't even aware that there was another Brownstone label....also I wonder if it's the same Everyday People who were on Red Coach.....?

Ian D :hatsoff2:

post-5460-0-38047200-1304080087_thumb.jp

Social source share

this isn't the same brownstone label as james brown

but back in 1977 people didnt have as much knowledge in the uk and just assumed it was bob. some times people think that when a tune starts gettin some`northern or modern` plays its a new discovery. but as ian said, copies of records like this have been in the uk since they were new hence the scenario with gary smith and plenty more like him

dave

Social source share

but back in 1977 people didnt have as much knowledge in the uk and just assumed it was bob. some times people think that when a tune starts gettin some`northern or modern` plays its a new discovery. but as ian said, copies of records like this have been in the uk since they were new hence the scenario with gary smith and plenty more like him

dave

Yep. As it happens I've never seen this record but if I had've stumbled into it there's a pretty good chance I'd have just thwacked it on the shelves with thousands of other funky looking or just odd records. Like Dave says, at the time, a record by Everyday People on a Brownstone label would have probably been overlooked or mistaken for the other Brownstone and thus probably concidered to be too funky for serious consideration at the time.

Ian D :hypocrite:

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

dave

I remember buying Timeless Legend 'I Was Born To Love You' from the Bowl in the early 80s for £6.50 as a 'new' discovery .

Now the price is over £1500. Then again I never buy records thinking they're gonna be worth a mint in later years.

I buy em ,at the time, because I like what's in the groove.

Best

The Doc :hypocrite:

Social source share

Guest Dr Bob Jones

Yes Dave couldn't agree more,

sometimes I find that a majority of the big price / rare tunes aren't worth nish in my ears.

Best

Bob:hypocrite:

Social source share

I remember buying Timeless Legend 'I Was Born To Love You' from the Bowl in the early 80s for £6.50 as a 'new' discovery .

Now the price is over £1500. Then again I never buy records thinking they're gonna be worth a mint in later years.

I buy em ,at the time, because I like what's in the groove.

Best

The Doc :D

Thats just it Bob ...nobody bought records in the 70's as an investment :thumbsup:

Maybe because we didnt live in a capitolist society back then ...but thats a whole different story and more fitting for the "freebasing" section :hypocrite:

p.s

My jibe about the £600 price tag was a bit tongue in cheek and not aimed at anyone in particular ..

more to do with the fact some records are expensive because they are rare ,others are expensive because desperate people have to have the new biggie :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert