45 Shipping From Phila Pa $35.55

Dean

Won a 45 on ebay from musicman59 for $42. Paying two from USA today postage on one $6, this one $35.55 :thumbsup:

To give the full picture there was no postage quoted in the description, or restictions on shipping destinations. Not until I went into "ask the seller a question" and got the ebay options for frequent questions re postage did it say "This seller doesn't offer international postage".

I've sent a question asking if $35.55 is correct.

Genuine opinions would be welcome, happy to told to pay up and should've looked deeper into postage. Often don't have time to look into it if not clearly stated though. Can put it down to experience. Just watch for seller if you don't want similar charges.

Dean

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ALWAYS ask international sellers postage to UK if they dont state it in their adds guys, AND also ask about what they put on their customs slips too - if its an expensive 45/LP or you can get stung badly for that too!!

Im sure SOME sellers, if they dont get quite the money they want for an item, try to make up the shortfall with postage rates, and when the package comes through with nowhere near the postal fees on the package, they ll give you gumph about cost of packaging and its a 50 mile round trip to post office etc... i ve had all this with some international sellers...

best, JP

motto- if in doubt, ASK BEFORE BIDDING :-)

Social source share

I am being charged the same...same seller....he claims it stops thieves :thumbsup: ...i did ask that he does not declare full value on the customs slip... he declined to comment about that...still it was an absolute bargain :thumbsup: ...so even with the customs charge im still quids in...but his attitude stinks TBH...we all have to have a little trust and we have probably all been stung at one time or another , but starting the deal with mistrust is never a good thing...a seller to avoid in the future methinks....in the current economic climate buying records ( ie- a hobby) is a luxury ...few can afford to be burned with charges like this..no wonder his feedback is only 97.7% and it will dip even lower once i've left naff all stars for the shipping costs....

Cookie :hatsoff2:

p.s. i e-mailed him re-postage costs prior to bidding on my item , but received no reply , but in all honesty it was only with 2 hours left until the end of my auction item. However he did get back to me within 20 minutes , after the auction , to answer my question.

Edited by bitchdj
Social source share

I am being charged the same...same seller....he claims it stops thieves :rolleyes: ...i did ask that he does not declare full value on the customs slip... he declined to comment about that...still it was an absolute bargain :yes: ...so even with the customs charge im still quids in...but his attitude stinks TBH...we all have to have a little trust and we have probably all been stung at one time or another , but starting the deal with mistrust is never a good thing...a seller to avoid in the future methinks....in the current economic climate buying records ( ie- a hobby) is a luxury ...few can afford to be burned with charges like this..no wonder his feedback is only 97.7% and it will dip even lower once i've left naff all stars for the shipping costs....

Cookie angry.gif

p.s. i e-mailed him re-postage costs prior to bidding on my item , but received no reply , but in all honesty it was only with 2 hours left until the end of my auction item. However he did get back to me within 20 minutes , after the auction , to answer my question.

Similar Cookie. The deal was well below book price so can grin and bear the cost. The lack of up-front declaration pisses me off. I'm a hobby buyer and tend to trawl (when I get chance) the next 24 hours finishing times, not giving time for question answer. Notice the guy doesn't do returns either. One to watch for.

Social source share

Won a 45 on ebay from musicman59 for $42. Paying two from USA today postage on one $6, this one $35.55 :rolleyes:

To give the full picture there was no postage quoted in the description, or restictions on shipping destinations. Not until I went into "ask the seller a question" and got the ebay options for frequent questions re postage did it say "This seller doesn't offer international postage".

I've sent a question asking if $35.55 is correct.

Genuine opinions would be welcome, happy to told to pay up and should've looked deeper into postage. Often don't have time to look into it if not clearly stated though. Can put it down to experience. Just watch for seller if you don't want similar charges.

Dean

Reply from my question:

the price we quoted you is the price from united states postal service we require all over seas transactions to have insurance because we have had alot of ploblems with overseas shipping mainly theft so to insure everyone gets thier item this is what we now do

- musicman59

That would roughly equate to the insurance on a $42 record being $29.45 . . . . . . fair enough.

Social source share

Guest bret112

I sell on Ebay and I feel if your buying an expensive record from me that's at least $750.00 USD then I will pay express shipping to anywhere my buyer is as well as I pay insurance. As far as customs I ask that international buyers email me before bidding so that we both feel secure about the purchase. My preference is to state full value so that I can insure that expensive record. But I'm easy to deal with ahead of time. As far as shipping to the UK, USPS 1st Class international from California is around $7.00 to $8.00 USD. That Seller is definitely overcharging his shipping & handling.

Bret

Social source share

He claimed the "excessive cost" was nothing to do with him , it was the standard rate charged by U.S.P.S. ( i think that's who he quoted at the time ? ) , for their delivery service including full insurance cover etc. , so no-one lost out if anything untoward happened to the package. I still haven't paid yet , everytime i go to press the "pay button" , i come out in a cold sweat , and chicken out . It's a bit of a pain versus pleasure thing going on in my head , as yet neither of 'em's won.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I always check postage with U.S. dealers first as it varies wildly, I'm sure it's just a way of bumping up the final figure as mentioned previously...in many cases I've had no reply when questioning these charges.

Ste.

Social source share

Sounds like he's charging you for Express International rate, which comes with tracking and automatic $500 insurance or something like that. The rate for anything under 1lb using this is about $35. First Class international is relatively unprotected and normally costs $6-7.

Social source share

Forget the yanks trying to make up auction price loss by increasing postage they do it just as bad in Uk

I won avery cheap record and P&P was £1.50 normal 2nd class economy.

I messaged him several times after payment to ask where the record was with no reply so I bid on another of his records and won that. He then replied because I had won another and said he had forgot to post the first one. I said Ok please reduce the P&P charge for the 2nd as you will obviously put the 2nd record in with the first. I hear nothing again despite many messages. He came back to me and said he was only invoicing me for one record (Yes cos Id bloody paid for the first one with P&P to boot.)

Ive now paid for the 2nd one with again the standard rate of P&P and told him I want them sent sperately! If they turn up in one package Im gobnna leave sh*tty feedback.

Social source share

Sounds like he's charging you for Express International rate, which comes with tracking and automatic $500 insurance or something like that. The rate for anything under 1lb using this is about $35. First Class international is relatively unprotected and normally costs $6-7.

I think this sounds right. There's a big difference between normal / express international with all the extras. I think I've had the same experience with this seller.

I've spoke to several US dealers on ebay recently and all are compalining about theft / claims of "non delivery" of the record in certain parts of Europe. If you notice many are saying in their descriptions "no shipping to Italy or France" or not without some form of insurance / tracking anyway.

Social source share

Guest bret112

I've had to start an investigation with a record I shipped to Germany ,I shipped it priority international and registered to make sure my buyer received it. That was almost 2 months ago tracking shows it got to Germany and that's it. This was a $1000 + record and my buyer wanted to save customs fees and asked me to state a small amount on customs paper. I said I couldn't insure it for full value if I did he said OK. Well now it may take up to 2 months for response from Germany customs and I cant file a claim for the record in order to try to help my buyer get at least some money back. From now on any record of value I ship over seas unless I've dealt with someone before I have to state value in order to insure or the customer sends me a non responsibility letter in case of loss or damage since I couldnt insure.

Also there's an insurance service offered thru Ebay called Ship Saver that will insure 1st class international packages for $1.00 per $100.00 value. which can save on costs.

Bret

Social source share

Also there's an insurance service offered thru Ebay called Ship Saver that will insure 1st class international packages for $1.00 per $100.00 value. which can save on costs.

this sounds like a very useful thing potentially, thanks for posting it

Social source share

:hatsoff2:laugh.gif:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to update and perhaps draw a line . . . . . .

Following a response from me regarding questions posed - I guess I was just trying to make a point:

Dear musicman59,

Postage cost stinks. On the basis of the $6 paid on another 45 today from USA would mean $29.45 insurance on a $42 purchase. I've paid because I have more honesty than you, you live with it.

I got the following reply:

we thank you for your comments we understand no problem

- musicman59

:lol: :lol: You have to Laugh!!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to my "previous posts" about excessive postage on the item i purchased off musicman59 . . . and like Dean - to draw a line under the whole thing.

I was DEFINITELY going to leave shitty feedback , however i must hold my hands up and eat a slice of "humble pie" , the record came "as described" and in a package that was "mighty impressive" to say the least , it came within a reasonable time-frame ( slower than some i purchased around the same time , but quicker than a few of the others ). It had to be signed for and carried a $24.68c postage sticker. There must be $11 worth of cardboard , fibre-tape , sweat & labour gone into the parcel too , SO i have had to leave four lots of 5-stars for each of the required categories and a very positive write up too.

He didn't twist my arm up my back to make me buy the item , and if he had a record i needed in the future , then i would again have to buy it ( obviously taking his p+p into account next time ).

Cookie.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be a lottery, some get through somedon't in my experience. Same goes with sellers, some will insist on value accurately recoreded some don't. I guess the more a seller gets ripped off or let down by postal service, the more unlikely they are to not declare the full cost.

By the way I'm still bloody waiting for this. Compare with $7 postage for George Blackwell - Mr Loser from seller thuds, won on 17 May arrived 23 May

Social source share

No but I had a shit record off this guy, complained and got a very rude reply, then I saw he had literally hundreds of similar complaints, see below

https://toolhaus.org/...ved+by&ref=home

I bought a records of that guy too several years ago said it was ex it came it was shagged e-mailed him for my dosh back he just said

he would knock something off my next auction win with him ... Ive never bothered since is gradin is shocking.......:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Won a 45 on ebay from musicman59 for $42. Paying two from USA today postage on one $6, this one $35.55 :thumbsup:

Update - BEWARE THIS SELLER. Record not received. Many emails asking for patience whilst supposedly following up with US postal service, this took sale past 45 day limit for ebay/paypal dispute. Since then no further emails or responses. Think I'll bid on some more, not pay and leave crap feedback :thumbsup:

Social source share

I bought a photo from him, it took a while to receive and I was annoyed at the expensive postage but I did get it and it was packed well. Hopefully your record does show up, have you tried calling customs?

I've asked him for shipping info and been told that he was following it up with US postal. Also said he would send a refund if not sorted. That was before the 45 day period rolled over - since then no communication. I can smile at the irony. Think my ebay score is about 800+, 99% of which are records. I've only not received 3 records, 2 of which refunded very quickly, I suspected on both of which there was an excuse involved as I'd won them far too cheap and to be honest I don't really blame the sellers fir that. This is the third. $35.55 postage and it didn't arrive. I suspect he didn't like the fact that I questioned the postage. I don't think it was ever posted. Big coincidence for hundreds and hundreds of 45s at $5.20 postage to arrive and the one posted with such a premium service not to arrive.

What info would I need to call customs? Although not much point if the seller has stopped communicating. One for experience I think boba, although I do have a wide vendictive streak.

Social source share

I've asked him for shipping info and been told that he was following it up with US postal. Also said he would send a refund if not sorted. That was before the 45 day period rolled over - since then no communication. I can smile at the irony. Think my ebay score is about 800+, 99% of which are records. I've only not received 3 records, 2 of which refunded very quickly, I suspected on both of which there was an excuse involved as I'd won them far too cheap and to be honest I don't really blame the sellers fir that. This is the third. $35.55 postage and it didn't arrive. I suspect he didn't like the fact that I questioned the postage. I don't think it was ever posted. Big coincidence for hundreds and hundreds of 45s at $5.20 postage to arrive and the one posted with such a premium service not to arrive.

What info would I need to call customs? Although not much point if the seller has stopped communicating. One for experience I think boba, although I do have a wide vendictive streak.

I have no idea what info you would need to call customs, I'm in the US and have heard from US sellers before that lots of times when UK people have not received packages they were held up at customs.

I doubt he intentionally waited 45 days to screw you. He can barely use a computer and definitely doesn't know about the 45 paypal chargeback policy. I'm not saying he didn't rip you off (he may well have), I'm just saying he's an idiot and too stupid to intentionally plan stalling you for 45 days.

Social source share

I have no idea what info you would need to call customs, I'm in the US and have heard from US sellers before that lots of times when UK people have not received packages they were held up at customs.

I doubt he intentionally waited 45 days to screw you. He can barely use a computer and definitely doesn't know about the 45 paypal chargeback policy. I'm not saying he didn't rip you off (he may well have), I'm just saying he's an idiot and too stupid to intentionally plan stalling you for 45 days.

:hatsoff2: Thanks boba, enjoyed your summary, it somehow feels better for me thinking he's an idiot rather than malicious.

Social source share

Just a thought - you regularly see " will not ship to Italy" etc, but I've never yet seen anyone write on their ad "will not ship to U.K. "

anybody ?

(my point being it's unfair to lump us Brits in with other countries with problematic postal services - or dodgy buyers. )

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert