Buddy Smith Live In Detroit

Went to see Buddy Smith live in Detroit last night. 10 piece band including McKinley Jackson on keyboards and Joey Kingfish on guitar. Great night, about 150 in at a small club on the west side where he was the main act. He did a number of covers including "The entertainer', "This masqeurade' and a stunning new arrangement of 'Too lose the one you love'. He chose The Entertainer, he tells me, because Tony Clark was a close friend and he gave him his break when Tony owned Brute records.

Buddy dropped out of the music business for many years, but has been active in the city for the last few years, his voice is clearly older, but boy can he still sing and hold a note. With such a talented bunch of musicians backing him, the show was great and he was well recieved.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest sharmo 1

there's a record out let in Ann Arbour called somthing like Ed's record shack the locals were very intimidating and I'm not joking I'd seriously watch your back there mate , Sy.

Social source share

Dave, do you know where else he is performing? We are planning to go down to Brad's night in Ann Arbor in a couple of weeks and could do an extra night in Detroit if he is on. Or any other people performing that weekend?

Cheers

Let me have the date and I will check with them, as I will see them all later today

Social source share

Hi Dave,bet you had a great time,i would have done

You know I did, also tried to ring you when I was at Ed's house as he wanted to speak to you, but I'll tell you all about that when I see you.

Ended the night going to see Brad Hales group at another event, full on thrash punk, and a complete contrast. Some where between Napalm Death, Screaming Jay Hawkins with a bit of Brian Eno thrown in, home late but fun night

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there it was on the out skirts a lot of burned out wooden houses and the like there was a garage at the end of the street and the woman begged us not to go in i wish we'd listened to her in the first place.SY.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hi there it was on the out skirts a lot of burned out wooden houses and the like there was a garage at the end of the street and the woman begged us not to go in i wish we'd listened to her in the first place.SY.

Not wishing to divert from the subject of the thread ie Buddy Smith Live but I'm intrigued mate, what's the story ?

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there on one of my first trips to the land of the free I sadled up with Rudzie from Boogaloo records in Leicester.Trip it self wasn't too bad and we decided to have a look around A.A. I'd heared that a lot of motown artists had gone there in the 60's and 70's to relax ect , so I asumed that we could find something.we filled up with "Gas " and saw a square buiding in the middle of a car park about half a mile away but I could see something like Ed's record shack wriitten in big wrighting on the side of the building and asked the old gal in the "Gas Station" if it was a record shop.there was a set of railway track's dividing the two area and she said not to cross the track a sentance since I've heared in many a country and weston track and wished i'd heeded.we went across and it was closed so we came back later and had not got out of the car five minutes when we were surouded by a gang of what looked to me like a tribe of feral drug crazed loonies , i sliped my wedding ring off and managed to slip my cash on the hip of my jeans .Now these bastard's ment serious business and they wanted everything ( and probably sex as well ! ) they wanted to know what we were doing there if we'd got any "butt's "money and alike.I told them that my name was " Rupert smallwood " ( first posh name I could think of !)and we were working for the BBC in London making a documentory on racisum in America and we would be back tommorow to interview them , they would be paid $100.00 each and we would put £1000.00 behind the bar for them to have a drink and some food after the interview we all shook hands and I told them we'd be back in the morning .I drove out of A.A like an arrow from a bow I was pretty shook up I often wondered what happened to them "good old guy's" and often thought with a touch of guilt that they still may be waiting for me to return and interview them it dosen't sound like much but it was a bit scary all the best SY.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Rupert Smallwood :thumbsup:

Amazing what ya can up with when ya gotta think fast.

I knew Rudzi a bit back around late 74/75 ish. Used to come down the Stonehouse north of Stamford when Poke and Manship used to jock.

Many years ago a mate of mine was thinking of doing the States and when someone mentioned about keeping well out of certain areas he said --

"It won't be a problem, I'll tell 'em I'm a soul fan" :thumbup:

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Went to see Buddy Smith live in Detroit last night. 10 piece band including McKinley Jackson on keyboards and Joey Kingfish on guitar. Great night, about 150 in at a small club on the west side where he was the main act. He did a number of covers including "The entertainer', "This masqeurade' and a stunning new arrangement of 'Too lose the one you love'. He choose The Entertainer, he tells me, because Tony Clark was a close friend and he gave him his break when Tony owned Brute records.

Buddy dropped out of the music business for many years, but has been active in the city for the last few years, his voice is clearly older, but boy can he still sing and hold a note. With such a talented bunch of musicians backing him, the show was great and he was well recieved.

That sounds like an amazing night Dave.

Social source share

Just got a note from Buddy, he is appearing live April 30th, AJ's Music Cafe, 240 w. 9 Mile, Detroit. 9pm-11.30pm

Here is map for location, https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=&rlz=1B2RNFA_enGB208GB369&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=240+w.+9+Mile,+Detroit&fb=1&hnear=240+w.+9+Mile,+Detroit&cid=0,0,657672247038600492&ei=Yoi1TcXxM42KhQfmlMDkDw&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQnwIwAA

This is a nice area and easy to get to, just off Woodward, lots of public parking

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert