45cellar

• Replies 38
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

i,d be interested in any info on these two sides whos playing background sax ect. someone put it on refosoul if poss please i stil have not mastered my record player to computer yet.

thanks

kev

Although Apollo is a NY label - it was produced by Daco - which is an early Detroit label.

Social source share

o'jays - to prove i love you - philadelphia int

I always loved that track and for many years I assumed it was only issued on LP.

Social source share

Great thread...

The O'Jays were always special but they sounded extra special in Philadelphia.

To me the most exciting thing in Philadelphia history were the developing years just prior to PIR being formed.

It was a powerful blend of things new and old and black and white. The excellent songs, tight rhythms, dramatic arrangements, passionate vocals and a dynamic sound with huge amounts of reverb all came together to make everything else sound a little bit dull and flat.

Many of the Neptune 45s are typical of that era (especially those by The O'Jays and Bunny Sigler) as are lots of outside production jobs for Jerry Butler, Archie Bell, Wilson Pickett etc.

Those records by The O'Jays from that period were a work of art, especially the high-drama 'One Night Affair', 'Deeper (In Love With You)' and 'Looky Looky'.

Having said that, I can't pick a favourite because I also love the way things progressed and became even more sophisticated and successful. It was great to hear real churchy soul voices on million-selling pop hits such as 'Backstabbers' etc.

Two particular favourites of mine by The O'Jays are 'Family Reunion' and 'Stairway To Heaven', two of the greatest soul ballads of the 1970s.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but this thread reminds me what excited me about soul music when I was a teenager.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert